• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mimling

I still can't do push ups - why?

Hi everyone,

I've been strength training 2-3 times a week for the past nine months. For the past couple of months I've been trying to do push-ups.

I researched and did everything according to the advice I could find online. I made sure my form was correct.

I started at an incline doing 3 set of 5 reps and worked my way down to the floor on my knees, 3 sets of 5 reps is no problem for me on my knees - easy even.

But whenever I try to do a full push up I physically can't push myself back up from my lowest point. I tried doing just negative/positive push ups but even starting from low down I can't push myself up.

What am I doing wrong? What can I do to improve? It's been months and months and I can't even do one push-up! I feel like I'm failing! 

Have you been working on the push up for the past nine months or just a couple of months? If it is just a couple of months, then it just takes time. Some things to help you get there:

work on upping your numbers of the incline: do more sets, more reps in the set;  

go super slow; see  how slow you can go down, hold it then come back up slowly

grease the groove; do a few reps below your max multiple time throughout the day, say 10 sets of 3

You aren't failing! Pushups look deceptively easy, but you are pushing your entire bodyweight. They are hard. And you can do incline ones easily, which is probably more than when you started, and more than a lot of people can do