• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

solarnova

Is it bad to schedule a 20 mile run 2 weeks before my first marathon?

I’m signed up to do the NYC Marathon this year, which will be my first full marathon ever (I’ve done 10 half’s). I’m excited as well as very nervous, and have a lot of questions about going about training in a smart way.

I’m currently trying to create a marathon training plan that fits my schedule, and was originally planning to fit my final 20 mile long run 4 weeks before the marathon. I might however be looking to move it from that weekend, but my only options are to either do the 20 miles 2 weeks before race day, or 6 weeks before, due to other races I signed up for.

For those who have trained for marathons before, do you think 2 weeks is cutting it way too close? Would I be correct in assuming 6 weeks out is way too early to peak?

I would appreciate any thoughts and feedback you can offer!

25 minutes ago, solarnova said:

I’m signed up to do the NYC Marathon this year, which will be my first full marathon ever (I’ve done 10 half’s). I’m excited as well as very nervous, and have a lot of questions about going about training in a smart way.

I’m currently trying to create a marathon training plan that fits my schedule, and was originally planning to fit my final 20 mile long run 4 weeks before the marathon. I might however be looking to move it from that weekend, but my only options are to either do the 20 miles 2 weeks before race day, or 6 weeks before, due to other races I signed up for.

For those who have trained for marathons before, do you think 2 weeks is cutting it way too close? Would I be correct in assuming 6 weeks out is way too early to peak?

I would appreciate any thoughts and feedback you can offer!

2 weeks is just fine.

Due to injuries making her miss a run, we did our 22 mile culminating run the Saturday before our marathon. The weeks before a marathon spent "Tapering" are actually meant to give you maximum performance for a PR. Running your culminating run 2 weeks before your actual race wont hurt you at all unless you're going for the podium. Else, the difference in your performance will be negligible if that.  Do your run 2 weeks out and enjoy your marathon. It's a wonderful experience.

• Like 1

I've been running for years (primarily 5K's but I've done some of the longer type stuff too).  If you spend enough time around runners you hear all sorts of training ideas.  One of the best plans for training I've seen is the Hal Higdon site.  He has plans for all skill levels and distances. (https://www.halhigdon.com/training/marathon-training/) 

One thing you'll see is that even the most Novice of Marathon training plans has a ~20miler ~2-3 weeks before your full. So it isn't uncommon.  Just be careful not to hurt yourself right before the big event!  (On an aside... I've heard multiple people say "If you can get through your 20 mile run you can run the whole full... so it is also psychological victory time!)