• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

replicait

I'm looking for answers to weight loss after injury - Maybe NF can help?

Hello whoever is reading this, thank you for taking the time!

I'm a 31yo woman and new to the world of Nerd Fitness, however not new to nutrition/dieting/etc

Brief backstory -  I suffered a catastrophic work injury in 2012 and another in 2015 (I've since left that workplace!) - The first was to my back, and the second to my right knee, requiring surgery. The cumulative effect over the past two years has led to a very significant increase in weight, and I've been doing what I can to manage my diet (I have self-assessed myself at somewhere between Level 6 and Level 7) to lessen the weight increase/hopefully instigate a decrease.

I exercise anywhere from 40 to 90 minutes, 5-6 days a week, mostly in the form of hiking as my back and knee can manage. Due to injuries I haven't yet found a way to incorporate weight-bearing into my exercise regime.

I'm not having any luck shifting the weight that I've put on - Nothing is showing up in my blood tests to indicate a reason why I my body isn't shedding it, but generally my daily caloric intake would be between 1200 and 1800, and I've been the same weight for over 6 months (after steadily climbing beforehand).

If I could get some feedback on whether or not the NF program might suit my needs I would greatly appreciate it - Short of undergoing a weight management surgery I really don't know what to do, and I'm not sure even that would work as I don't eat very much to begin with.

Thanks again for your time, any thoughts/advice are appreciated and welcome.

Welcome to the Rebellion!

Sorry for the delayed response - I don't generally wander into this area of the forums. When you say NF program, are you talking about the Academy? Rising Heroes? Something else? 

I can only speak to the Academy, but I would say probably not (sorry powers that be!). The Academy does have a really amazing Facebook page that is one reason why people continue to stay, but with your nutrition already so high and having issues with weight bearing exercises - it would be hard to go down the exercise route. 

One thing you can do is start a thread in the Weight Loss section here with some more info on your particular situation and see if you can get any feedback (or do it here - I'll follow your thread now!). Include your height, weight, current exercise regime (I see it above, so if you do it here, you don't have to), and a sample of your current diet / macros (if you do that). 

Calories in / Calories out is a great tool for weight loss and should work - provided you are at the right starting point. Have you used a TDEE calculator to determine your calorie needs? Do you use a food scale? Do you eat back exercise calories? Knowing the answers to these questions will be helpful in giving ideas for how to move forward. 

I came in here to ask almost the same thing. This community looks great and I really like the concept. Unfortunately, I had disc herniation with annular tear requiring surgery, so now I'm stuck looking for ways to replace the weights and running and curb the weight gain I've had since the surgery. I've tried swimming (found it incredibly boring and couldn't stick with it), long walks, and hiking, but none are to the level I was before, which, realistically, I may never get back to. Also, hiking is pretty difficult in New Orleans...

I'll check out the weight loss section, but thank you for the info regarding the Academy, Sylvaa.