• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Defining

Cheap Power Rack : A vs B

A: http://www.treadmillfactory.ca/fit505-power-rack

B: https://www.walmart.ca/en/ip/fitness-reality-810xlt-super-max-power-rack-cage/6000197680725

I'm highly unlikely to EVER go above 300lbs in any of my lifts (5'2" female), so I'm not too worried about the weight limitations. And I plan to add some tie down/safety straps as a redundancy in addition to the provided sabre safety bars, so I'm not hugely worried about safety.

As far as I can tell, they're both very similar in terms of gauge, hole spacing, and dimensions - biggest differences I see are:

-that the chin up bar is centered plus slightly better design in the base/sides attachment in the more expensive ($298CAD) one

VS

- off centre for the cheaper one ($229CAD), plus the base only screws on with 2 bolts each side instead of 4

I'd be interested in experimenting with some suspension work (with weights on the base, obviously, and pulling directly down not sideways), and it seems to me that it would be safer with the marginally more expensive rack? But my brain is struggling to justify the 25% increase in pricing just for that. I'm also totally open to other suggestions, these are just the best price point I can find on a power rack - even the used stuff is typically more expensive.

Thoughts are welcome!

That yellow rack is much higher quality. The J hooks alone would make me lean more towards that one than the Walmart one. When you're racking heavy weights it's going to be a lot safer doing so on those padded hooks than on those pegs. The barbell is going to rest much more safely on those hooks than on the round pegs too.

Of course, I'm not a fan of Walmart in general.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

That yellow rack is much higher quality. The J hooks alone would make me lean more towards that one than the Walmart one. When you're racking heavy weights it's going to be a lot safer doing so on those padded hooks than on those pegs. The barbell is going to rest much more safely on those hooks than on the round pegs too.

Of course, I'm not a fan of Walmart in general.

I'd buy it on Amazon rather than Walmart, it's just out of stock online so the link wasn't working properly. ;) I also don't like Walmart.

Apart from the hooks (which are easy enough to purchase separately), how else is the yellow one higher quality? They're both 2" tubing, 13/14 gauge steel....

• Like 1

On 6/20/2018 at 6:18 PM, Defining said:

The bracing overall looks to be higher gauge and the top bracing is definitely stiffer from the extra cross-bracing.  The square tubing on the rear of it looks like it's matching the thickness of the side frame where on B it looks like a much smaller tube tying the sides together.  Normally shearing forces aren't a big deal, but if you're doing suspension you're going to throw some weird torquing forces on the equipment.

Downside, I don't think that top brace is any good for doing pullups/chinups.  You could just lash a pipe to the top of the rack and use that or maybe they sell some handles for cheap to upgrade.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Mike_d85 said:

Normally shearing forces aren't a big deal, but if you're doing suspension you're going to throw some weird torquing forces on the equipment.

Downside, I don't think that top brace is any good for doing pullups/chinups.  You could just lash a pipe to the top of the rack and use that or maybe they sell some handles for cheap to upgrade.

THANK YOU! :) I was thinking of using a boating tie-down strap (1,500lb working capacity) around the middle/top - I wouldn't trust a pipe lashed across.