• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wobbegong

Juice Bar

I am the weirdo. I can't stand straight milk. Never have. It doesn't bother me physically, I just can't get past a the fact that it always smells bad (I dated a guy that worked in the dairy department of the grocery store, everything he owned smelled of spoiled milk). As a a result, I can't drink milk.

I am trying to teach myself to like yogurt since it helps my stomach issues, but I am not a huge fan and its more a "this is for my own good" thing.

I can generally take or leave cheese depending on what its in/on, but I almost never eat cheese solo.  I never understood just eating chunks of cheese. Then again, I grew up with Velveeta and off brand cheese slices being the only cheese we had for the most part to eat outside of in stuff.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am trying to teach myself to like yogurt since it helps my stomach issues, but I am not a huge fan and its more a "this is for my own good" thing.

If yogurt is really distasteful - you can totally get probiotics in pill form. I LOVE yogurt - but I don't eat it often because while I love it, I'm picky about brand and can't always get what I like. SO I take probiotics.

I've actually switched a bit recently and use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGF5N1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's currently out of stock at Amazon - so I'm keeping an eye on it. I have it on Autoship and so far they've managed to get it to me every month, but I'll source it somewhere else if I need to. I really like it because it is shelf stable and doesn't have to be refrigerated after opening. Which is good because I have to take it with me when I travel. And while I don't CHECK it, I want it to still be viable for several days without refrigeration.

And yes, using probiotics has made a HUGE difference in all of my tummy issues! While I still need an occasional Zantac - I haven't had to resort to Prilosec in months (there was a point I was using it - under doctor's orders - for 6 months straight). In addition to probiotics, I've virtually cut OUT Splenda. I keep Stevia in the Raw with me and use it almost exclusively. These 2 things have made ALL the difference. Now I pretty much just need Zantac when I eat something spicy\acidic. I can live with that!

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Akari said:

Why do people diet without diary? I never understood that. The only reason I would do that is if I suddenly become intolerant. Coffee with milk is just too good.

Most commonly I see people try to cut it out because while not exactly intolerant, it might be causing some kind of negative health effect. Often I see people cutting back on it to try and reduce their calorie intake. Like coffee with milk, if you drink a lot of coffee, that milk can add a lot of calories (actual amount depending on what type and how much of it you use). 

Outside of dieting, I've seen two different views. More common it's a part of being (or moving towards being) vegan because it's an animal by-product. The other view is that humans weren't built/designed/evolved/etc to drink milk from other species. In other words, after an infant is weaned off of breastfeeding they shouldn't consume milk. This is the more controversial view. 

Personally, I'm vegetarian and I'll eat certain types of dairy (in moderation), but I can't drink straight milk or eat anything that has a lot of milk protein because I seem to have a slight allergy to one or both milk proteins (most likely whey). I'll drink soy, almond, and cashew milks instead. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, zeroh13 said:

Most commonly I see people try to cut it out because while not exactly intolerant, it might be causing some kind of negative health effect. Often I see people cutting back on it to try and reduce their calorie intake. Like coffee with milk, if you drink a lot of coffee, that milk can add a lot of calories (actual amount depending on what type and how much of it you use). 

If I calculate with 50 ml milk per cup coffee and three cups per day I am at 65 kcal per day.

1 hour ago, zeroh13 said:

The other view is that humans weren't built/designed/evolved/etc to drink milk from other species. In other words, after an infant is weaned off of breastfeeding they shouldn't consume milk. This is the more controversial view. 

I've read somewhere that one of our genes changed a few thousand years ago. Because of that most humans (except most Asian people) are now able to process  milksugar.

14 minutes ago, Sjard said:

I didn't know that people smile at others when they are afraid, but that actually makes more sense than the other alternatives. Good that I didn't wait for her. 

That's the answer of someone who avoids what makes him afraid. You can't know why she smiled. You just assume something. The only way you can find out is to ask. (I know I sound like my therapist. But I believe she is right.)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Athaclena said:

If yogurt is really distasteful - you can totally get probiotics in pill form. I LOVE yogurt - but I don't eat it often because while I love it, I'm picky about brand and can't always get what I like. SO I take probiotics.

I've actually switched a bit recently and use this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SGF5N1M/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

It's currently out of stock at Amazon - so I'm keeping an eye on it. I have it on Autoship and so far they've managed to get it to me every month, but I'll source it somewhere else if I need to. I really like it because it is shelf stable and doesn't have to be refrigerated after opening. Which is good because I have to take it with me when I travel. And while I don't CHECK it, I want it to still be viable for several days without refrigeration.

And yes, using probiotics has made a HUGE difference in all of my tummy issues! While I still need an occasional Zantac - I haven't had to resort to Prilosec in months (there was a point I was using it - under doctor's orders - for 6 months straight). In addition to probiotics, I've virtually cut OUT Splenda. I keep Stevia in the Raw with me and use it almost exclusively. These 2 things have made ALL the difference. Now I pretty much just need Zantac when I eat something spicy\acidic. I can live with that!

I have looked at Probotics before. The problem is I really am trying to get off pills. And I tend to be short on calcium daily anyway. Which is bad since I have a HUGE family history of Osteoporosis. That being said, I am seriously thinking about looking into those once they come back in stock. Do you take them in the morning or evening?

I don't mind being on my nexium because life without it is bad. However, I need to get off the BP med, but thats not happening until I get some weight off.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Sjard said:

Thank you @Akari @Wobbegong and @zeroh13 

I didn't know that people smile at others when they are afraid, but that actually makes more sense than the other alternatives. Good that I didn't wait for her. 

Not to confuse the issue further, but I tend to do the "smile and they will go away" thing since that's what was expected of me growing up. So I think if she had started a conversation, that is one thing, but just a smile, I would say "have a good day" and leave.

This is how I react and do know  I am not great at interaction with people, so there is that.

• Like 3

52 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I have looked at Probotics before. The problem is I really am trying to get off pills. And I tend to be short on calcium daily anyway. Which is bad since I have a HUGE family history of Osteoporosis. That being said, I am seriously thinking about looking into those once they come back in stock. Do you take them in the morning or evening?

I don't mind being on my nexium because life without it is bad. However, I need to get off the BP med, but thats not happening until I get some weight off.

I take them in the morning. I prefer addressing the actual underlying issue - which is that my gut "flora" is toast - rather than suppressing nature which is what nexium does. I found that once I calmed my gut down with the prilosec to address the immediate issue of acid reflux (literally waking me up at night), I was able to address the underlying issue of my gut not working right by re-introducing what is SUPPOSED to be there. So I was able to come off of the prilosec completely and rarely need any other "help" in that area. I still can't tolerate spicy foods, but I don't mind taking an occasional Zantac for an immediate fix. I COULD eat more yogurt - it's just not convenient due to my travel schedule. If I wasn't traveling - I'd eat yogurt (I even used to make my own).

The whole milk thing - I drink mainly almond milk (unsweetened) with my morning shake to cut some calories without sacrificing taste. Half and half goes in my coffee and I consume other dairy in moderation. Obviously, if you're lactose intolerant or cutting calories or vegan - avoid it. For some it does trigger other things - but even when I cut it out I don't notice a difference in histimines or whatever, so I don't go to the ends of the earth to avoid it..... I just hate being told "OMG you eat X - it's SOOO BAD FOR YOU" when the science behind the statement is iffy at best.....

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Athaclena said:

I take them in the morning. I prefer addressing the actual underlying issue - which is that my gut "flora" is toast - rather than suppressing nature which is what nexium does. I found that once I calmed my gut down with the prilosec to address the immediate issue of acid reflux (literally waking me up at night), I was able to address the underlying issue of my gut not working right by re-introducing what is SUPPOSED to be there. So I was able to come off of the prilosec completely and rarely need any other "help" in that area. I still can't tolerate spicy foods, but I don't mind taking an occasional Zantac for an immediate fix. I COULD eat more yogurt - it's just not convenient due to my travel schedule. If I wasn't traveling - I'd eat yogurt (I even used to make my own).

See, I don't know if its just that my gut flora is toast, or if I messed up my stomach's natural "level" when I was in high school and college, I lived almost exclusively on mountain dew, which I really think reset what my body considers to be a "normal acid level" a high. The Yogurt I am eating because in the last year or so, I have been having other digestive issues, which it has helped with that. I mean I didn't know that you weren't suppose to have pain and an acidy taste in your mouth until I was put on Nexium after a GI scope (I was puking so much, they thought I might have cancer, nope it was a child (no prego tests worked, even dr administered blood tests)) revealed damage already existed. It was really weird. I thought everyone had really bad pain and a bit of vomiting now and then because I couldn't remember a time when I didn't have it. I never thought about it helping with the acid reflux, but I totally get you needing more of a pill form.

14 hours ago, Athaclena said:

The whole milk thing - I drink mainly almond milk (unsweetened) with my morning shake to cut some calories without sacrificing taste. Half and half goes in my coffee and I consume other dairy in moderation. Obviously, if you're lactose intolerant or cutting calories or vegan - avoid it. For some it does trigger other things - but even when I cut it out I don't notice a difference in histimines or whatever, so I don't go to the ends of the earth to avoid it..... I just hate being told "OMG you eat X - it's SOOO BAD FOR YOU" when the science behind the statement is iffy at best.....

See I am allergic to nuts, so almond milks and the likes are out. I tried soy milk once and I couldn't do it. It still smelled like it had gone bad. Since I don't drink coffee, I don't need half and half for anything. For me, I just never liked it. Knowing that Eldest Agent is intolerant, makes me wonder if I was too and just decided I didn't like it (once milk stopped coming in a bottle, I couldn't get him to drink it). I mean, I told everyone I just didn't like nuts for years because I didn't. They made me slightly sick but I was told I wasn't allergic because I didn't swell up.  Then when I started saying I was allergic, I was told to stop saying that, I just didn't like them and was being difficult.

I guess to me, getting healthy means understanding what your body will and won't process and how. Each body has its own quirks and parameters. Otherwise, this would be easy since we could all eat the exact same things to get the exact same results.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

See, I don't know if its just that my gut flora is toast, or if I messed up my stomach's natural "level" when I was in high school and college, I lived almost exclusively on mountain dew, which I really think reset what my body considers to be a "normal acid level" a high. The Yogurt I am eating because in the last year or so, I have been having other digestive issues, which it has helped with that.

I lived on Mellow Yellow, Jolt and Coke in HS\College - so I hear ya. The fact that yogurt is helping is a good indication that a good probiotic would help more. You may never be able to completely come off of Nexium if you've truly damaged your body's natural processes, but you may be able to reduce it - heck you MAY be able to come off of it. I've come off of several things a doc told me I'd have to take forever because I changed my diet\lifestyle and fixed the UNDERLYING CAUSE. Don't get me started on the "treat the symptom not fix the problem" thing going on in this country. There's no $$ in a cure... When I came off of the Prilosec (and the doc actually DID urge me to - one of the reasons I liked her - her reasoning, if I couldn't, they needed to do more invasive tests to see WHY) - I did it SLOWLY over a couple of months. Now that I'm off completely - I'm SO glad I did.....

2 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

See I am allergic to nuts, so almond milks and the likes are out. I tried soy milk once and I couldn't do it. It still smelled like it had gone bad. Since I don't drink coffee, I don't need half and half for anything. For me, I just never liked it.

OY! If I were in your shoes, I wouldn't eat it either! I don't do almond milk alone, I use it in other things. I don't like the flavor of soy either - rice milk isn't bad IF you're looking to replace that "feel". I know a couple of people that don't like cheese\milk because of the "sour" odor for them. Like I said - I'd just do milk, but I'm saving about 100 calories a day by drinking Unsweetened Almond milk instead as the base for my protein shakes- which works for me. Your Mileage may vary :)

• Like 4

On 7/11/2018 at 10:45 PM, Bean Sidhe said:

Not to confuse the issue further,

Haha I don't think you could confuse the issue even more, even if you told me that it depends on the planet constellation and if it rained in the Sahara yesterday.

• Like 3

On 7/12/2018 at 9:53 AM, Athaclena said:

I lived on Mellow Yellow, Jolt and Coke in HS\College - so I hear ya. The fact that yogurt is helping is a good indication that a good probiotic would help more. You may never be able to completely come off of Nexium if you've truly damaged your body's natural processes, but you may be able to reduce it - heck you MAY be able to come off of it. I've come off of several things a doc told me I'd have to take forever because I changed my diet\lifestyle and fixed the UNDERLYING CAUSE. Don't get me started on the "treat the symptom not fix the problem" thing going on in this country. There's no $$ in a cure... When I came off of the Prilosec (and the doc actually DID urge me to - one of the reasons I liked her - her reasoning, if I couldn't, they needed to do more invasive tests to see WHY) - I did it SLOWLY over a couple of months. Now that I'm off completely - I'm SO glad I did.....

This is what I want to work towards. I am more concerned about the BP meds first, but I do want off them all. Its just a matter of getting past the "I want" to the "I will and this works" mode.  I want off things, I want to be healthy, not have a handful of pills to take. But to do that, I need to moving in that direction, with at the moment, feels like pushing a mountain uphill in a snowstorm.  And right now, I don't even want to try, but sit there and go "Yep, thats a mountain."

• Like 2

Hello hello Rebels! Dropping in on behalf of the virtual powerlifting and weightlifting competitions that are beginning soon! We are experimenting with a mentoring program this round to help new folks get involved - it's for anyone interested in doing a strength comp but is unsure of how to go about it, or if they're ready. If that sounds like you, swing by the mini-challenge where we'll be pairing new to the scene lifters with more experienced ones to get them on their way! 

Have a great week awesome nerds!!

• Like 4

14 hours ago, RedStone said:

Hello hello Rebels! Dropping in on behalf of the virtual powerlifting and weightlifting competitions that are beginning soon! We are experimenting with a mentoring program this round to help new folks get involved - it's for anyone interested in doing a strength comp but is unsure of how to go about it, or if they're ready. If that sounds like you, swing by the mini-challenge where we'll be pairing new to the scene lifters with more experienced ones to get them on their way! 

Have a great week awesome nerds!!

AH, I should also mention that we are looking for mentors as well! If you have experience and want to share your knowledge, please stop on through! 

• Like 4