• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

JoeC35

What are your thoughts on tea for weight loss?

I have seen lots of people say that drinking tea's such as green tea or rooibos tea has helped in losing weight. What are your opinions on this? Does it actually work because I came across this article that stated that tea can shrink fat cells. Not sure what to think about it though so I just wanted some input.

Eh, it's flimsy.

Honestly, the whole "drink tea to lose weight" thing I suspect is more about drinking additional fluid more frequently and post-meals so that the body gets filled with non-calorie things.  Same can easily be accomplished with water.

• Like 2

I have been drinking green tea for years,

Usually, about 3-5 cups per day.

And over that time I can honestly say that I really have not noticed much in terms of weight loss,

Or hunger reduction--but, I must be honest here, I can eat all day every day--and I have always been that way,

When green tea first hit years ago, I read about all the health benefits of it, and thought, this sound good,

So, I got into it more for general health reasons than weight loss.

Hope  this Helps.

23 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4025876/

You can follow that to a number of additional studies. There may be a small correlation, but it is in no way statistically significant.

I'm so glad you're not lazy and look up the science.  I do that too much at work and don't have the energy for extra science reading.  Haha

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I'm so glad you're not lazy and look up the science.  I do that too much at work and don't have the energy for extra science reading.  Haha

I cheated - someone brought it up in the Women's Academy on Facebook like a day or two before. So someone else found the link, I just had to make sure I agreed with the findings. :D 

• Like 1

Proper tea contains some caffeine, which can help curb appetite to an extent.  Also ingesting the hot, flavourful nectar of the Gods of Civilized Countries can help satisfy cravings.  

As far as a "secret formula of herbs" to directly reduce fat intake.... No.  Just, no.

• Like 2

Pukka threemint tea or their mint matcha seems to help me ignore hunger pangs, if that helps... But I think that's associating the taste of mint with meals being finished, and thus not being hungry.

I've heard that caffeine, since it elevates your bloodpressure trying to remove it from your system, is handy for getting more respiration going, so a cuppa before a run *might* help maybe?

On ‎6‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:42 PM, Machete said:

My thoughts on tea?

Image result for boston tea party

#AMERICA

Honestly, we Brits aren't even upset that you Americans don't pay us taxes, or recognise our authority... It's just such a waste of perfectly good tea!

You'll all come around when we in desperation get empire-building again.

I think tea is really helpful for those who replace drinking sodas or fountain drinks that have a lot of sugar in them. People who seem to switch to drinking tea instead of those sugary drinks seem to have a lot of improvements, but just drinking tea alone isn't going to make you lose weight.

ok, tea is out. that sounds like a stretch.

OTOH; what of water?  it should hypothetically provide no More benefit than tea BUT even a little googling suggests that water IS considered important to weight loss.

this confuses me.

are people just plugged into Hype and looking for a miracle cure? or IS water a dramatically superior drink over things that Have water In them.

(well, knowing that any Sugary drink is Def a bad thing for weight loss)...

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, TGP said:

are people just plugged into Hype and looking for a miracle cure? 

This.  People want an easy out and an easy answer that doesn't impact their habits much.  They want cheats and short cuts.

And speaking of cheats and shortcuts, I'm just going to quote myself from the top of the thread:

On 6/25/2018 at 9:11 AM, RisenPhoenix said:

Honestly, the whole "drink tea to lose weight" thing I suspect is more about drinking additional fluid more frequently and post-meals so that the body gets filled with non-calorie things.  Same can easily be accomplished with water.

People don't typically drink enough water to begin with.  People usually drink a whole bunch of soda/juice/smoothies/coffees, loaded with calories.  So by swapping those out for water, they 1) are better hydrated and stop mistaking dehydration signals for hunger signals, 2) aren't downing extra calories, and 3) suddenly lose weight because they have stopped eating as mindlessly and are not consuming extra calories to begin with.

• Thanks 3

Frankly, if you're desperate for a liquid 'fat loss' solution, you can just drink a protein shake 20min before each meal.

While there is some conflicting data on water aiding weight loss, the protein shake will DEFINITELY make you more full, and therefore cause you to eat less. It will also help skew your macros to a more favourable protein intake level for fat loss. There is also some evidence that it could help with lowering blood sugar levels after a meal if you start with protein; especially handy for those of us with higher bodyfat levels whom may be experiencing low levels of insulin resistance.