ReturnOfTheDad Battle Log: Level 1 - Welcome to the Jungle...

After an on-again off-again (mostly off again) love affair with fitness over the last several years, I feel I have finally found a fitness fellowship with the Rebellion!

I have my Lvl 1/First Challenge posted in the newbies section, but wanted to take it a step further with a daily commitment to logging my progress and sticking with this by posting here in the Battle Logs. 

I feel like this is going to be crictical to help me make it through. Between my company undergoing a lot change, a crazy toddler, and a very pregnant wife, I have a feeling it is going to be the small daily commitments that make all the difference.

Feel free to check back often, leave a tag and I’ll support you on your Battle Log as well. Glad to be shoulder to shoulder with you all in this and can’t wait to get going on my very first Challenge!!!

• Like 2

Day 1:

Weight: 214.0 lbs

Sleep: 7 Hours

Water: 1 Gallon

Workout: 

5 min stretching

5 min warm up - Shadowboxing

20 min Intervals - 1 Set

Meditation: 15 Min meditative walk

Meals:

8am - Strawberry Greek Yogurt, Granola, Coffee

11:30am - Protein Shake, Banana, Coffee

2pm - Protein Bar, Craisins, almonds

5:30pm - Chicken, noodles, broccoli & cheese

9:30 - Scoop of Peanut Butter, milk

Mood: Pretty tired from busy weekend but stoked to get an early start on my Level 1 Challenge! Energy on workout was medium, encouragement on NF post replies really helped me push through in getting started today(Thanks Everyone!!!).

On to Day 2!

• Like 2

Day 2:

Weight: 212.8lbs

Sleep: 7 Hours

Workout

Did not stretch, but started light jog to

warm up.

30 min run - 2 miles

Meditation: No Meditation Today :(

Meals:

10am - Strawberry Greek Yogurt, Granola,

Coffee

12:30pm - Egg White & veggie omelette,

oatmeal, craisins and

almonds.

4:30pm - Protein Bar and Banana

5:30pm - Protein Shake and Apple

9pm - Scoop of Peanut Butter & Milk

Mood: Woke up a little sore already. Energy okay. Run felt good, but definitely need to take it easy before adding more miles. Also didn’t meditate, which put me in a bit of a funk today.

Notes: Beginning of the run was a bit demoralizing, as there was a lot of belly jiggling. My shadow did get into a lava-lamp like groove, which was soothing in a way, and made the rest of the run bearable. Shout out to my Scout Sage @Rubik'sCat for recommending I go the slow and steady route to start with. Pushing past the 2 mile mark would not have been a good idea today.

On to day 3!!!

• Like 3

Day 3:

Weight: 211.8lbs

Sleep: 8 Hours

Workout: Rest day - 30 minutes in the pool swimming with the kiddo

Meditation: 15 Minute Morning Meditation

Meals:

10am - Greek Yogurt, Granola,

Strawberries, Coffee

1:30pm - Egg White Omelete,

Asparagus, Oatmeal

5:30pm - Protein Bar and Banana

7pm - 2 Hotdogs and Spinach Salad

Mood: Woke up pretty sore, glad it’s a rest day! Followed @Mactavish’s lead and hopped in the pool today to try and stay active. Started the day with morning meditation, which definitely has me in a better place than usual. Will work towards making that time a daily habit.

Notes: Feeling pretty sore and was tempted to do more today, but tomorrow is Body Weight/Kettle Bell Intervals so figure it’s best to rest up. Went waaaay too long without eating this afternoon and ended up in hangry territory then light headed. Making a note to not go longer than 3 hours without eating something.

Halfway through the first week, onward to day 4!!!

• Like 2

Day 4:

Weight: 211.8lbs

Workout

Stretching & Shadow Boxing - 5 Min

1 Interval Bodyweight/Kettlebells

- Finished in 18 Min

Meditation: 15 Min Morning Meditation

Meals:

9:00am - Coffee

12:00pm - Greek Yogurt, Granola, 

Strawberries

1:00pm - Protein Shake & Banana

3:45pm - Protein Bar & Apple

6:00pm - Pizza :(

10:00pm - Scoop of Peanut Butter & Milk

Mood: Woke up surprisingly sore. Ate a little crappy yesterday so glad to see I maintained on weight. Bit of a late start on eating but got back on track. Feeling a little tired but know I’m on the tail end of the first week. One more workout day to go!

Notes: Starting to feel more energized during intervals. Getting an ‘attack’ vibe a couple of exercises in, which is quickly replaced by a ‘don’t-pass-out-don’t-pass-out-don’t-pass-out’ vibe. Progress is progress I suppose. :D

Day 5 here I come!!!

• Like 1

Day 5:

Weight: 212.0 lbs

Sleep: 9 Hours

Workout: Rest Day

Meditation: 15 Min morning meditation 

Meals:

8:30am - Coffee

9:30am - Strawberry Greek Yogurt

& Granola

2:00pm - Egg White veggie omelette,

Oatmeal, almonds & craisins

5:45pm - Cheese Stick, Banana & 

Energy drink

8:00pm - Soufflé, salad, bread, cheese

Mood: Woke up feeling pretty good. Energy is decent. Not super thrilled about not losing any extra weight over the last couple of days. All the recent hot dogs and pizza probably isn’t helping....  Down a total of 2 lbs for the week though, which isn’t bad.

Notes: Really going to have to watch my diet and may have to throw in a couple of extra workouts with the 4th of July weekend coming up. Hotdogs, Funnel Cakes, and Sodas OH MY! (Might sound lame but that’s how my cheesy dad brain works). Took an unscheduled rest day due to work and family stuff, glad I started slow with my goal of 4 workouts per week, means I can still pick up a workout tomorrow to stay on track.

On to day 6!

Thanks @Orias Malus!

Switching my eating back to when I would drop weight for MMA. It’s macro nutrient based (only keep track of proteins, carbs, and fats instead of calories):

4 Meals a Day, each with:

-30 Grams of Lean Proteins

-30 Grams of Whole Grain or

Fruit/Veggie Carbs

-10 Grams of Healthy Fats

(nuts, avocados, etc.)

It was a good steady way to lose weight but still have enough energy for my workouts. Typically lost 3-5 lbs per week depending on the amount of sleep I was getting (10 Hours was I deal but would shoot for 8-9 Hours daily) and how much water I was drinking (2 Gallons on heavy work out days).

The problem I am having now is that I was working out 1-2 hours, 5-6 days a week (depending on energy) on that eating plan to get those results. I’m now working out 30 minutes, 4 days a week so I either need to up my work outs or trim down my eating.

Finding the Daily Battle Log helpful to find and tweak patterns. While my body is not up to doing longer, more intensive workouts yet, I’m feeling more energetic and might add in another smaller workout during the day. Figure that’s probably healthy anyway since I have a SUPER sedentary job.

How about you?

• Like 1

Hello again! The difference between day 1 and day 2 was 1.2 lbs for you. I just now noticed that looking back on it. Very impressive. If it's only water weight, still impressive. 

One thing I am wondering is what is your goal weight and how far away do you expect to have that goal accomplished by?

Thanks! I think the day before I started I had eaten a lot of salty food. Was still nice to drop that much weight right off the bat. :)

Target weight for me is 160 lbs, so a little over 50lbs to go. Currently targeting end of the year (8-10 lbs per month). Main struggle right now is consistency, I have a bad tendency to let my eating and exercise habits go over the weekend, then have to work extra hard to make up ground during the week.

• Like 1

Day 6:

Weight: 212.4 lbs

Water1 Gallon

Workout

Stretching & Warm Up - 5 Min

3 Mile Run - 42 Minutes

(Splits 12/15/15 Min)

Meditation: 10 Min Morning Meditation

Meals:

11:30am - Greek Yogurt, Strawberries,

Granola, Coffee

2:30pm - Chef Salad, Breaded Chicken,

Soda (Ate way too much,

should have only eaten half)

6:30pm - Sugar Free Energy Drink

10:00pm - 1 Scoop Peanut Butter & Milk

Mood: Starting to slide back on my weight loss a bit, which has me a little frustrated, but also determined to figure out what’s causing it. Noticing that I have more energy now so it might be time to do a little increase in workout frequency or duration. Sometimes it’s hard to avoid eating unhealthy when out with the family (moderation is the best I can do at times) so I want to set myself up for success with some additional output knowing that I don’t always have complete control of what’s available for intake.

5BB03F75-0906-44DA-A818-7EE64A2DB79E.gif.c13a89ad117f017e0406d104e37231f3.gif

Notes: After the unscheduled rest yesterday I felt WAY better on my run. Set out to do 2.5 miles but kept an even pace, joints felt good, so finished the full 3 miles! Will find out tomorrow if that was a good idea or not, but felt like I listened to my body and feel good that even though my weight might be inconsistent, my fitness is gradually improving.

Next stop Day 7 and my 1 week review on the Lvl 1 Challenge Forum! :D

21 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Thanks @Orias Malus!

Switching my eating back to when I would drop weight for MMA. It’s macro nutrient based (only keep track of proteins, carbs, and fats instead of calories):

4 Meals a Day, each with:

-30 Grams of Lean Proteins

-30 Grams of Whole Grain or

Fruit/Veggie Carbs

-10 Grams of Healthy Fats

(nuts, avocados, etc.)

It was a good steady way to lose weight but still have enough energy for my workouts. Typically lost 3-5 lbs per week depending on the amount of sleep I was getting (10 Hours was I deal but would shoot for 8-9 Hours daily) and how much water I was drinking (2 Gallons on heavy work out days).

The problem I am having now is that I was working out 1-2 hours, 5-6 days a week (depending on energy) on that eating plan to get those results. I’m now working out 30 minutes, 4 days a week so I either need to up my work outs or trim down my eating.

Finding the Daily Battle Log helpful to find and tweak patterns. While my body is not up to doing longer, more intensive workouts yet, I’m feeling more energetic and might add in another smaller workout during the day. Figure that’s probably healthy anyway since I have a SUPER sedentary job.

How about you?

Sounds like you have prior habits and experience to bolster your current program, so that's awesome!

My diet strategy is a little different. I'm trying to align with the "slow carb" diet originally created by Tim Ferriss. The idea is to create a set of meals out of a limited range of ingredient types, and then repeat those meals as often as possible. One day a week is a cheat/refeed day. Workouts on this diet don't have to be anything beyond 30 minutes 2-3 days a week.

I'm focusing almost entirely on food rather than exercise, since that'll be where most of my wins come from.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Current Challenge: None

Previous Challenges: L1

Day 7:

Weight: 212.4 lbs

Workout: Rest Day

Active Rest - 1 Hour in the pool with the 

little one.

Meditation: 10 min morning meditation 

Meals:

10:00am - Egg White veggie omelette,

Oatmeal, craisins, almonds

Coffee

12:30pm - Protein bar and banana

3:30pm - Protein Shake

5:30pm - Beef Lo Mein & Veggies

Mood: In a good mood this morning! Weight gain evened out with an extra 10 minute to my workout and some moderation with eating. Going to continue with these minor changes today to see if that’s what will get me back on track.

Notes: Got some good diet information from @Orias Malus and will be working in some elements of the Slow Carb diet. Biggest changes will be to increase my protein intake right after waking up, shifting from fruits and whole grains to more beans and veggies, and to cut back on my beloved dairy.

First week down, I know the next challenge hasn’t officially started yet, but I’m really glad to have started this and know changes aren’t going to come overnight. Parts of sticking with things this week have been tough, but the structure and encouragement offered by Nerd Fitness and everyone here has made a big difference and I’m actually looking forward to keeping this going next week.

Many thanks everyone, on to Week 2!

• Like 2

Everyone always has trouble outrunning their fork like you said. I hope you stick with cutting down on dairy products. There's a lot of fat and sugar in them. Anyway...I need to incorporate rest days into my weeks like you're doing instead of just randomly run whenever I feel like it. 

• Thanks 1

Day 8:

Weight: 212.8 lbs

Workout

Stretching & Shadow Boxing - 10 Min

Bodyweight & Kettlebell Intervals - 

2 Sets In 51 Minutes

Splits (25/26 Min)

Meditation: 5 Min Morning Meditation 

Meals:

10:30am - Egg Whites, Oatmeal, 

strawberries, coffee

1:30pm - Buffalo Chicken Sandwich,

Salad, Iced Tea

5:00pm - Chicken Fried Rice & Veggies

7:30pm - Protein Shake

Mood: Middle of the road mood today. Seeing that weekends are probably going to be a tough time for weight loss but I am down a total of 1.2 lbs from this time last week. Also pretty tired from my run day before last. Noticing my soreness hits about a day and a half after I exercise.

Notes: In keeping with my routine tinkering to keep consistent on my weight loss goal, I continued adding a little more duration to my workouts. In combination with my active rest days, I was able to knock out 2 intervals today! (Could only do 1 last week.) It was definitely a grind toward the end but good form, patience and some rocking 80’s montage music got my through. 

In homage to the power of music in keeping this DadBod in motion and following suit of the venerable @ladyofthebog (love your music posts!!!!), I give you a new daily section to the ReturnOfTheDad Battle Log - Motivation Music for the Day.

Hitting it again on Day 9!!!

Motivation Music for the Day:

Because Rocky. :D

• Like 3
On ‎6‎/‎25‎/‎2018 at 10:37 PM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

I feel like this is going to be crictical to help me make it through. Between my company undergoing a lot change, a crazy toddler, and a very pregnant wife, I have a feeling it is going to be the small daily commitments that make all the difference.

As a fellow Dad of two young kids and a pregnant wife I empathize with what you are going through. Sounds like you are off to a great start and I'll be following.

• Thanks 1

hey! love the music component. i feel like the music i listen to when lifting is totally inconsistent with who i am the rest of time? like, i listen to biggie smalls, ludacris, metal, and viking chants mostly. too funny.

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Always love the Rocky Theme song. You are doing great. I find that having protein for breakfast really helps with satiety

• Thanks 1

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Day 9:

Weight: 212.8 lbs

Sleep: 8.5 Hours

Workout

#1: Toddler Trudge

Rookie mistake....See Notes for 

details...

#2: Stretching - 5 Minutes

3 Miles - 45 Minutes, Splits: 15/15/15

Meditation: 5 Min Morning Meditation

Meals:

8:00am - Protein Bar

12:30pm - Beef Burrito, Beans & Rice

4:00pm - Sugar Free Energy Drink

5:00pm - Chicken Fried Rice

7:00pm - Protein Shake

10:30pm - Scoop of Peanut Butter

Mood: In a bit of a funk before eating. Didn’t sleep well and upper body is SUPER sore from yesterday. Feel like I might be right at the edge of overdoing it. Going to try for a run later today, but we’ll see. Weight is maintaining, which is good considering we are on vacation this week and eating out a lot. Revising my goal this week just to maintain current weight and focus on fitness goals of 2 Intervals and 3 Miles on workouts.

Notes: Had an unexpected early workout carrying/chasing ReturnOfTheDad Jr around the science museum today. Carrying a wiggly 35 lb toddler on your shoulders for the majority of 3.6 miles (833 steps) takes a certain toll on the body and psyche....next time STROLLER.

Undaunted, I subsequently used my best (and worst) thinking in deciding to do my scheduled 3 mile run in 102 degree Texas heat, with my already tired flabby body. To my surprise, and against any reasonable Vegas odds, I made it! More surprisingly I even kept a steady pace over all three miles.

The daily work I’ve been putting in and all of your tips have been paying off. I will now be slumping into a pile of goo and potentially sleeping through the 4th of July holiday...

I leave you with my roadwork anthem for the day and will (hopefully) see you all on Day 10!

• Like 1

i remember running texas heat. so awful. running in texas rain is enjoyable though? kind of. in comparison. never mind.

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

Day 10:

Weight: 213.4 lbs

Workout

Couple of hours in the pool with the 

family.

Meditation: 10 Min Morning Mediations

Meals:

8:30am - Egg whites, veggies, oatmeal

Almonds, cranberries, coffee

11:30am - Protein Bar, Banana

1:00pm - PBJ Sandwich, Fruit & 

Protein Shake

5:00pm - All the things...

Hotdogs, ice cream, sodas...

Mood: Ouch. Definitely staring into the abyss of overtraining. Sore all over, mood is low, and mentally a little slower. Perfect time for a rest day. Shooting for a little pool time with the family, maybe some stretching....also hotdogs, lots of hot dogs....

Notes: The funk of overdoing things followed me until I finally started into the 4th of July food festivities. Around my 5th hotdog and 2nd soda the cloud started lifting (followed quickly by a sugar crash). Today is a true cheat day and I’m loving it, but not something I want to make a habit of. Back to intervals and standard diet tomorrow, and what I’m sure will be a pretty epic weight gain for my morning weigh in.

Out of the junk food ‘danger zone’ and on to Day 11! :)

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Ouch. Definitely staring into the abyss of overtraining. Sore all over, mood is low, and mentally a little slower. Perfect time for a rest day. Shooting for a little pool time with the family, maybe some stretching....also hotdogs, lots of hot dogs....

Firstly - I'd like to make one thing clear: I don't want to discourage you. The things I'll write below are my observations and thoughts after reading your logs ;)

One thing that struck me is that you don't plan any rest days between your workouts. Personally, I don't think I would be able to sustain this type of schedule (I'm a beginner myself, I workout regularly since april this year). My biggest mistake in the past was exactly it - going all in, giving my 150% on every workout to the point that I wasn't able to pick myself up. The longest I was able to maintain this schedule was 6 months, after which I was sore, depressed and unmotivated to do anything else. Rest is also a very important factor in leveling up your fitness.

I hope you'll get better after hot dog and soda marathon ;) Keep up the good work and congrats on daily logging - that's quite a challange ;)

• Like 1

Training logs | Monthly updates

Player stats (as of 18.06.2018):

Weight: 68.4kg (150.8 lbs)

BMI: 22.9

Muscle mass: 56.2kg  (123.9lbs, around 82% of body mass)

Body fat: 14.8%

Circumferences:

- Chest: 84cm (33 inches)

- Belly: 82.5cm (32.5 inches)

- Buttocks: 91cm (35.8 inches)

- Thigh: 52cm (20.5 inches)

- Bicep: 30cm (11.8 inches)