Orias's Battle Log of Slaying Mediocrity +1

2018 Mission to Slay Mediocrity

Mission Statement: Getting married in October. Currently out of shape. Want to fix, be fit.

Starting Date: June 28th, 2018

Goal Date: October 6th, 2018

Days to Goal From Start: 100

Starting Weight: 212.8 lbs

Goal Weight: 175 lbs

Estimated Required Weight Loss: 3 lbs per week

Diet: Slow Carb

Workout Style: Bodyweight, Obstacle Course

Big Wins

- none yet.

Big Observations

- none yet.

Current Challenge: Level 1: Let's Kick the Tires and Light the Fires

I'm going to try and make this daily, but my commitment is to update this once a week at a minimum. To date, I have actually run a 5K obstacle course to completion, though I failed about a third of the obstacles (basically all of the upper-body-strength ones). I know what I need to do to succeed. My biggest enemy, though, is myself: I'm really good at talking myself out of things. That's not gonna fly here.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Current Challenge: None

Previous Challenges: L1

Yesterday and today I stuck to the slow carb diet exactly. This is pretty great, considering that today there was an ice cream social at work, and it was (heat index) 110 degrees outside. I didn't cave and bypassed the treat.

Working on wrist and shoulder stretches to build flexibility. Didn't do any other physical training, but tomorrow I'm going to run (....walk/run) a 5K in the morning, so that should help.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Yesterday was my first cheat/refeed day. I also did a 5K fun run with my fiancée and her friend.

Most of the 5K was walking. This was partly because my fiancée's friend needed that pace, partly because most of the participants were walking, and partly because I didn't do any training or preparation before diving into it. It did remind me, though, of how much fun running used to be for me. I'm going to start doing more of it.

Being my first cheat day, I wanted to really honor the spirit of the day, so I chose to go to extreme excess. First breakfast two hours before the 5K was a couple cinnamon-vanilla pancakes slathered with peanut butter. Second breakfast after the 5K was Taco Bell, with a breakfast quesadilla and a 12-pack of Cinnabon "Delights." Protip: the Delights are NOT delights. After that, I had a small brownie cooler from Caribou Coffee. Lunch was two slices of chicken bacon ranch pizza and a couple Oreos. Dinner was a "Kiss of Fire" sushi roll, an eel-avocado sushi roll, a large serving of tempura cheesecake, a large hot sake, and a large Sapporo. Later that night was another four beers. All told, I probably consumed somewhere between 5,000 and 6,000 calories yesterday.

Today I weighed in at 213.8 lb, 2.8 pounds heavier than yesterday, as was to be expected. This morning, I had a couple Monster Rehabs to recover, and a Muscle Milk 25g protein shake for breakfast. Lunch and dinner will be protein-heavy.

Tomorrow I'll begin the NF Flexibility Benchmark Challenge as part of my weekly measuring. It'll be a good lead-in to doing a handstand, I think.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Weighed in at 212.0 this morning. Yesterday I was at 212.8. Last night I did the first measurements for the Flexibility Challenge, setting my baseline for the next four weeks.

My breakfast is the same almost every day. It's a breakfast burrito bowl inspired by Chipotle. Here's what's in it:

• 3 whole eggs, scrambled in the French style
  • 1/2 can of black beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
  • 1/4 large white onion, diced
  • 1/2 large jalapeño, sliced
  • 1 cup (or so) of medium chunky salsa

The peppers and onion are sautéed in 1 tbsp of olive oil. The eggs I scramble in 1 tbsp of butter. I usually double up the beans, peppers, and onion so I only have to prep and sauté veggies every other day, saving half for the next day.

For the first time ever, I'm also taking supplements. The Slow Carb diet proscribes several, and I've bought almost all of the ones on the list. However, I'm ramping up gradually so I can gauge their effects. The past two days I've only taken 200mg of magnesium per day. Eventually I'll be taking the full spread, which is as follows:

Potassium: 99-mg tablets with each meal
Magnesium: 400 mg per day, plus 500 mg before bed to improve sleep
Calcium: 1,000 mg per day

Policosanol: 20–25 mg (this is the only one I was unable to find at Whole Foods)
Alpha-lipoic acid: 100–300 mg
Green tea flavanols (decaffeinated): Should contain at least 325 mg of epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG)
Garlic extract: At least 200 mg

I don't know if it's correlated or not yet, but the past couple nights I've slept really well. Given that magnesium is supposed to help sleep, I wonder. I need more data.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Oh boy. So I'm having a bit of an off week. My fiancée's birthday is next Wednesday, and her parents wanted to take her out for a birthday dinner last night. Between that, overindulgence on July 4, and my fiancée's birthday dinner with friends on her actual birthday, I have no less than three "cheat days" in a seven-day period.

Today through next Wednesday I'm going to try and be as strict as humanly possible when it comes to adhering to my diet in order to counteract the effects. As it is, I'm up to 214.8 this morning.

Still taking the magnesium daily, even through all this. I think my sleep data is tainted by the alcohol and horrible eating, though.

Assassin in Training

One fiancée's birthday and a weekend road trip later and I'm back where I started at 214.3 lbs.

Between the holiday, the birthday, and the road trip, I'm feeling pretty distraught about my eating. I definitely have anger focused on special occasions, even though it's obviously not their fault, but rather my own for not keeping to my diet in spite of the peer pressure to do otherwise.

Luckily, they (special occasions) are now going to stay the **** away for awhile. Back to it.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Today's the logistical end of my first 30 Day Challenge. So how'd I do?

Starting Weight: 212.8 lbs

Ending Weight: 214.3 lbs

...that could have gone better.

I struggled the last three weeks with sticking to the diet. It's really been too easy to stray from the path "just a little," and all the little discrepancies added up to a big problem.

On the bright side, I think I'm making a little progress with the handstand thing. I still can't do one, but I'm starting to fear falling less.

So my plan for now is to get back on track for the week coming up, and maybe spend more time in the NF community going forward. I feel like I could have leaned more on my support network instead of trying to rely solely on myself.

I'm going to retry the 30 Day Challenge side quests I came up with for August. Let's see how I do in Round 2!

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Tomorrow is the first day of my new challenge.

As part of my new attempt, I'm going to be updating this thread on a daily basis. I've set up a recurring task in my to-do app of choice, Todoist. I also got my fiancée to admit that she doesn't believe I can do it because I've tried things like this many times before. Weirdly, that got me fired up to make this happen, rather than depress me.

The new challenge is the following:

• Adhere to the rules of the slow carb diet, except for the supplements.
  • No alcohol except on cheat days, and even then, take it easy.
  • Lean on the Rebellion as my support structure. Update this Battle Log every day in August.
  • Record weight on Mondays. Record other measurements on August 1 and August 31.

That's the rules. I can't slip up this time; no mistakes are allowed. I have to prove that I'm capable of this. I will prove that I'm capable of this.giphy.gif

• Like 2

Assassin in Training

Day 2.

Weight: 211.6

Yesterday's Food Log

Breakfast: Breakfast Bowl (eggs, black beans, bell pepper, onion, salsa)

Lunch: Salad (spinach, crab, mango chipotle dressing)

Dinner: Pork chops w/ gochujang over riced cauliflower

Drinks: 1 cup of black coffee, 2 Rockstar Recovery energy drinks (10 cal each), small amounts of water throughout the day

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Day 3.

Weight: 209.2

Yesterday's Food Log

Breakfast: Breakfast Bowl (eggs, shredded chicken, black beans, bell pepper, onion, salsa)

Lunch: Salad (spinach, cubed ham, hard-boiled egg, mango chipotle dressing)

Dinner: Baked tilapia and saeurkraut

Drinks: 2 cups of black coffee, 1 Rockstar Recovery energy drink, small amounts of water throughout the day

Today and tomorrow I'll be traveling, so there won't be weight measurements. I will try and log all the food I eat when I get back early Sunday morning.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Day 5.

Weight: 212.4

Food Log for the Past Two Days

Friday

Breakfast: Breakfast Bowl

Lunch: Salad (mixed greens, edamame, egg, ham, carrots, broccoli, some kind of brown dressing)

Dinner: Sushi and sashimi combo

Drinks: Black coffee, 4 bottles of beer, 1 Japanese plum wine, 1 scotch

Saturday (Cheat Day)

Breakfast: Leftover boneless chicken bites from Domino's

Lunch: Thai green curry with pork

Snack: 2 Reese's XL peanut butter cups

Dinner: Kadai paneer

Dessert: 1 slice of berry pie with ice cream

Drinks: 1 Thai tea, 2 22oz beers, 2 regular beers

Friday I flew to Indianapolis to help my sister move into her new house. While breakfast and lunch were fine, dinner was a bust. Saturday was then my planned cheat day and went as expected.

Is I write this, I'm back at home, it's almost noon, and I haven't yet eaten today. This weekend is a rollercoaster.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Day 6.

Weight: 210.8

Yesterday's Food Log

Breakfast: None

Lunch: 2 mango-habanero brats, sauerkraut, horseradish, horseradish mustard

Dinner: 2 tbsp (roughly) of peanut butter

Partly as a result of my flight schedule and partly as a result of not being terribly hungry today, I ate very little. I did get in a 5K walk with my fiancée, though.

Assassin in Training

Day 7.

Weight: 208.0

Yesterday's Food Log

Breakfast: 1 tbsp peanut butter

Lunch: Salad (spinach, tomatoes, ham, balsamic vinaigrette)

Dinner: Zucchini, tomatoes, shredded chicken, pesto

Drinks: 2 Rockstar Recovery energy drinks, 1 cup of black coffee, 1 protein shake, water throughout the day

Starting to relearn how to ignore hunger, so that's good.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Day 8.

Weight: 209.0

Yesterday's Food Log

Lunch: Salad (spinach, shredded chicken, cucumber, mango chipotle dressing)

Dinner: Tangy mango curry, coconut curry shrimp

Drinks: 3 energy drinks, 1 cup of black coffee, 1 lavender latte, 2 glasses red wine

The only thing in the above that cheated my diet was the latte. However, I imagine the calorie count of all the above was higher than I should be taking in, which is why I regained a pound. Also, I drink too many energy drinks.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Day 9.

Weight: 206.8

Yesterday's Food Log

Lunch: Salad (spinach, cucumber, ham, balsamic vinaigrette)

Dinner: Baked pork chops, mixed veggies, lots of horseradish

Drinks: 2 energy drinks, 1 cup of black coffee, water throughout the day

I'll admit to being a little surprised at my weigh-in today. I'm shedding pounds very, very quickly. I'm not sure this is a good thing. Hopefully it stabilizes after awhile and decreases at a slower pace.

Assassin in Training

Day 10.

Weight: 207.4

Yesterday's Food Log

Breakfast: 3 tbsp peanut butter

Lunch: Salad (mixed greens, tomato, bacon bits, balsamic vinagrette), a 13.25oz bag of beef jerky

Dinner: Chicken and kimchi on riced cauliflower

Drinks: 2 energy drinks, 2 cups of black coffee, some water

I have to wonder about the calorie intake I have on average.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Day 11.

Weight: 206.6

Yesterday's Food Log

Lunch: Salad (spinach, chicken, green pepper, jalapeno, tomato, honey mustard dressing)

Dinner: Fiery Ghost burger, broccoli

Drinks: 1 energy drink, 1 cup of coffee, 8 beers, 1 long island iced tea, 1 coconut alcoholic drink

Decided to do a 24 hour cheat day instead of a solar cheat day. As a result, I am very hungover and will not be cheating much today.

• Like 1

Assassin in Training

Day 12.

Weight: 208.6

Yesterday's Food Log

Breakfast: None

Lunch: "Sunrise tacos" and hashbrowns at Crooked Pint

Dinner: Amy's Thai Coconut soup

Drinks: 2 energy drinks, water throughout the day

As predicted, yesterday barely qualified as a cheat day. I was able to obey the 24 hour window rule, but I think in the future I'll just do the solar window instead. Today I'm going to drink a ton of water to help repair the damage that Friday night did.

Assassin in Training