• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Annabelle

Chapter One: Annabelle channels Anna Kendrick

giphy.gif

Anna Kendrick is not only my name double, but a legit spirit animal in my like… spiritual zoo. I would wanna hang out with her so bad, but I’d be a giant compared to her (seriously she’s like.. 5’2”? I'm 5'9", that'd feel so weird.) I have zero problem literally finding an Anna Kendrick gif for any situation. There will probably be so many more throughout this challenge. No regrets.  I decided this 4 weeks I was going to focus on 2 diet goals, one fitness goal, a mental health goal, and a household organizational goal. This challenge rolls RIGHT up to the final week before my daughter goes back to school so I've got precious little time to get my ish organized before she goes back and needs all the help she can get to get her own ish organized (she's going into middle school ;_; I FEEL SO OLD NOW) Anyway - onto the challenges!

Cutting out dairy for 30 days

tumblr_mn9znjZZUU1s0fqw5o1_250.gif 

I have some gastro issues I’m trying to navigate and identify, and I’m starting by attempting to eliminate dairy for 30 days. I’ll be keeping a super TMI log of -changes- on Google Docs (imma spare all y’all). I plan on starting this particular challenge on July 7th for a full 30 days by the end of the 4 week challenge.

Rubric:
A = Completely dairy free & Kept my log every day
B = Kept my log every day and was 80% dairy free
C = Kept my log at least 3x a week and managed to have at least 15 days completely dairy free
D = Did not keep a detailed log & only managed 7 days completely dairy free
F = I ate all the cheese. All of it. Every day.

Meal Plan 3-4 days per week

WindySecondaryLark-max-14mb.gif

I realized that I work best when I don’t have a crazy strict “every day is planned” meal plan. When things got a little out of whack (like, forgetting to thaw some chicken, or a surprise visit from friends pushing one of the meals back) that I’d completely lose focus and my meal plan would suddenly be hanging by a tentative fraying thread. (Think “we’ll just have ‘x’ tomorrow” turns into “but we can’t do ‘x’ tomorrow because we had ‘y’ planned for tomorrow because of ‘insert-kid’s horseback lessons/gaming night/gym night here-)

So to try to rectify this issue I’m having, I’m not going to have a concrete meal plan in place every single night. I’m going to aim for 3-4 nights per week, at least one of them being a weekend. This way if things get pushed back a day, I’m not freaking out because the whole system is ruined.

I’m also going to powwow with the kiddo and the husband for some ‘last minute” ideas for nights where plans might be thrown askew. Gym nights are a big one, because by the time we get done there, get home, shower, it’s nearly 8pm. Every other week, the hubby has to be in bed by 8:30 to get up for work at 4am. So we just can’t cook most things when we get home so late if he wants to be in bed at a decent hour. So we’re gonna work on some stuff to fill those gaps instead of running to Subway or Chipotle, or something else.

Rubric:
A = Maintained at least 4 meals per week planned, and no more than 2 cop-outs of fast food (that doesn’t include planned meals out - just the “I’m too tired to cook, you can pick up something on your way home tonight right?” meals)
B = Managed 3+ meals per week planned, and no more than 1 cop-out meal per week
C = Managed 2 meals per week planned and no more than 1 cop-out meal per week
D = Managed 1 meal per week planned and no more than 2 cop-out meals per week
F = I probably didn’t even write the meal plan down tbh.

Time Management Evaluation

giphy.gif

Between now and the start of the next challenge, I’m going to be evaluating how I’m spending my hours. Hours at work, hours at home, hours out and about, etc. As the challenge officially begins, I’m going to use that info to challenge myself to redirect some of the “wasted” time toward more productive things. I have a list of 7-10 potential things for me to accomplish per week, anything more than 3 for the week is a ‘pass’ for that week’s grade. This is only going to be pass/fail because I don’t want to discredit myself for only doing like.. Three things one week (that might have been bigger projects) versus five the next (because they were all small things like cleaning up my desk or something).

Alternatives to wasting my f’n time:

• Budgeting out spring break
  • Cleaning off my desk area & making an “inbox” area for mail/etc
  • Clearing out my daughter’s closet
  • Preparing our vacation budget for December
  • Update/Edit/Amend my planner
  • Sort through my fabric bins & donate/get rid of scraps/etc
  • Work on backstory for various RP characters (Pathfinder, etc)
  • Work out a solution for my cookbooks stacked in the living room
  • Find 2 new recipes on Pinterest to try soon
  • Reconcile budget on YNAB

Rubric:

Completed 3 or more alternatives per week/Pass
Did not complete 3 or more/Fail

Gym at least 2x a week

Dont-Make-That-Face-You-Love-It-Anna-Ken

Right now, I’m going to the gym on Wednesdays and (begrudgingly) on Monday/Friday. I’m usually solo on Monday, I may or may not have a partner this Friday, but Wednesdays I have not only the hubby but two of our friends who go with us. They’re officially getting their memberships at our gym this coming Monday, so we’re going to aim for Monday/Wednesday/Saturdays together. We’ve been doing the NFA workouts on Wednesdays, so we’re probably gonna do cardio/swimming/classes/whatever on the other days.

Rubric:
A = 3x a week minimum 
B = 10 or more gym appearances
C = 2x a week minimum, but less than 10
D = 2x a week at best
F = I forgot I had a membership

I can earn a bonus letter grade boost if I complete an NFA Boss Battle and level up to the next workout level (Bumping a B to an A, etc)

Social Media Blackout

tumblr_mi1di8L7cj1s5cqiro1_500.gif

This actually started on Monday. I got up to go to the gym when my phone alarm went off, immediately logged onto FB and lost about 20 minutes just sitting in bed on my phone. Who even does that?! So I deleted FB from my phone, and I’m working on limiting social media interaction (pomodoro style - 5 minutes per 55 minutes worked at work, no more than 10 minutes at a time at home, and none on phone). Ideally I want to cut it down to no more than about 30-45 minutes total on social media per day. I don't count NF in that though - just Facebook/Twitter/Buzzfeed/other time fillers.

I find myself getting frustrated often on social media, disappointed in people routinely posting viral yet inaccurate memes, etc and I simply don’t have the spoons to call out/re-educate everybody. Right now Facebook is also my primary communication source for my LARP group and as treasurer I can’t just… ghost out completely. I did a week long social media blackout a year or so ago when the Rising Heroes program started and I was in on that. I really enjoyed it, so I’m going to aim for it again.

Rubric:
A = Didn’t even use social media to my “cap”
B = Stayed within my “cap” of social media per day
C = Stayed within my “cap” of social media 4x a week or more
D = Only managed to stay within my “cap” of social media 3x a week or fewer
F = Reinstalling social media or removing my timer blocks on my browser

Wrap Up

The last challenge was a reminder of who I can be when I really put effort into it. I’m feeling confident that I can put together another solid showing, plus I have people doing it with me? So that’s a super bonus. Mom-mode will engage and make me try to stay doing all the things so people aren’t disappointed. (Is that healthy? I feel like I can hear my therapist shaking her fist screaming ‘boundarieeeeeeees’ into the void)

I’ll try to daily recap, at the bare minimum I’ll be here every other day or so (weekends, not so much, I tend to space on checking in on the weekends). I’ll hopefully get the rest of my mindset diary finished - for those who missed it last challenge, its in my signature line. Some bits are currently omitted - mostly because I haven’t finished some of the less straightforward quests. Some I simply have put off like a bad noodle, but I have literally nothing on my agenda for Sunday other than some food prep for the week and watching to see which overpaid, overhyped, over-the-hill veteran player my team picks up when free agency hits.. LOL So updates should be expected (and maybe even prodded upon) on Sunday.

And one final gratuitous Anna Kendrick gif to wrap this ish.

anigif_enhanced-18017-1454125264-3.gif

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Annabelle said:

other time fillers

More like time wasters. I'm guilty of the same thing, and sometimes it literally feels like I just threw my brain down a deep, dark well, and it takes me hours to retrieve it.

I really like your challenge. Do you know there are rumors that Anna Kendrick will be playing Squirrel Girl in an upcoming untitled Marvel movie? They couldn't have picked a cuter person to play her if it's true.

• Like 1

Great challenge Anna, I love this:

On 6/28/2018 at 8:16 PM, Annabelle said:

The last challenge was a reminder of who I can be when I really put effort into it.

There's nothing like being your own motivation!

Good luck on your challenge, it looks totally doable and will keep you inspiring yourself and others!

• Like 1

On 6/29/2018 at 11:16 AM, Annabelle said:

giphy.gif

As soon as I'm done typing this comment I am getting up off the internet to get my shit together. Thanks Anna Kendrick! (that's a great gif!)

And a great challenge! Go you!

• Like 1

Thanks guys! ♥ The official challenge might not start until Monday but my dairy free challenge starts today. I mighta had some seriously delicious bacon poutine yesterday as one last 'hurrah' of dairy. 

I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm also looking forward to seeing if my stomach starts to be less of a jerk face.

• Like 3

On 7/7/2018 at 11:57 AM, Annabelle said:

Thanks guys! ♥ The official challenge might not start until Monday but my dairy free challenge starts today. I mighta had some seriously delicious bacon poutine yesterday as one last 'hurrah' of dairy. 

I'm not looking forward to it, but I'm also looking forward to seeing if my stomach starts to be less of a jerk face.

Started my challenge today and I may or may not have had cheese on everything yesterday...

This is literally me talking to myself as I wandered whole foods looking for dairy free stuff yesterday. They do have dairy free pizza? But it was literally like almost TWENTY BUCKS for ONE frozen pizza. Maybe if this winds up being my problem I'll splurge on one down the road but not even remotely paying that during this test run. Nope. Not happening. Keep your bougie stuff to yourself Whole Foods.

tumblr_mvu6ulklko1rijbg1o1_500.gif

So its Day One for the challenge yo!  I will say the dairy free 'cheese' I bought wasn't terrible? Definitely not as creamy as I woulda hoped, unfortunately but I think that's just part of trying to get used to it. Its also primarily made of potato o.O? Which feels weird to me.

Gym is a go later today once my husband gets home from work (if he's going today. He might bounce out on us, or he might feel the peer pressure of the three of us going without him). Meal plan is ready-ish. My kiddo won't be home tonight so I have room to work with and I gotta do some cleaning out of my fridge too.

Most of which means I should probably get off my arse, get dressed, and get ready to get out the door for work >.>

• Like 3

On a side note - I used to drink hella Starbucks (caramel macchiatos for daaaaays) but when I went keto last spring I switched it up to a trenta cold brew with heavy cream and sugar free vanilla. Now that I can't do cream/milk/etc I decided to try this coconut water + espresso thing I found at a grocery store in one of the more affluent neighborhoods. (I know I could do almond/coconut/etc milk at Starbucks but that's just too much temptation in one building for me, so I'm gonna avoid it pretty hard). It's not bad? The coconut is cutting the bitter angst of the espresso with a lil natural sweetness but it isn't overpoweringly sweet.

But its kinda big and in a can so I can't reseal it. Which might be problematic.

• Like 2

So day one without dairy is over. I made it? It wasn't super hard, but I did try to make sure I had enough things to tide over my 'everyone else is having 'x' dairy product and I'm not :(' moods. I bought these coconut milk dark chocolate ice cream bars and OH MY LAWRD they're so good! Like, I read the packaging and it was all 'GMO free, dairy free, soy free, gluten free' etc etc and the last time I got sucked into one of those scams was during my last semester of college buying a cookie at a film class. (Spoilers: The cookie was garbage and all I ate was the chocolate chunks I could mine out of it). I swore I was gonna wind up with frozen dirt on a stick but man did it make me a believer.

Also, went to the gym last night with my buddies. Husband bailed, but he's on their quarterly overhaul at work so he's busting his butt hard there so I won't guilt him for it. We did discover that the treadmills that we have at our gym have the internet? So I can YouTube/Netflix and cardio which is nice! I need to remember headphones though. It also told me and my friend that we were hella out of shape doing an assessment thing (and mine might've turned off my heart rate targeted workout because my heart rate got too high >.> just, look here treadmill. Cardio isn't my jam okay? Don't shame me).

66oR.gif 

Overall, a mostly successful day. Working on the meal plan bit. We didn't plan our groceries very well two weeks ago with the holiday etc mixed in, so we're kinda playing mix and match outta our fridge/pantry to make up for it. Social media is really losing interest on my end. I almost have to force myself to check Facebook (and that's primarily because of my parents on there). I did work on my budget instead of surfing Twitter/YouTube yesterday at work - although I can't say I made much progress on it. I need to seriously start cracking the whip on excessive spending. These numbers are ridiculous.

I also tried a different lactose free cheese today. This one gets nice and gooey on my breakfast sandwiches, so that's a bonus! And it does taste a bit better than the one I had yesterday. All good points moving forward. Hooray!

• Like 2

Inspirational Anna Kendrick for the day

WebbedRespectfulFiddlercrab-size_restric 

Yesterday I think I accidentally had dairy? I had some leftover smart pop popcorn at work in a big ziploc bag but I'm 90% sure there was powdered cheese-y stuff on it. But that might not have been real dairy, so who knows. I'm gonna have to part with it soon anyway though, it's probably not going to keep much longer (and it started tasting really gross after a few of the unpopped-ish pieces of kernel started looking and feeling suspiciously like fingernail clippings >.> which basically murdered any desire to keep eating it anyway).

Breakfasts are working out exceptionally well. This pepperjack cheese substitute is pretty sweet when you plop it on a warm egg and it melts over my lil half a pretzel bun.  I'm also gonna start working on the grocerys today at work - another bonus of opting to do a lot of my shopping online for delivery - and hammer out a rough meal plan for next week if I get a chance. We got stuck at work pretty hard yesterday because FedEx has been super janky for the past few days. So it'll either come up and I'll have loads to make up for, or it won't and I'll just distract myself with groceries because its better than thinking about how many clients will be super pissed that I'm not getting them their stuff in a timely fashion.

I also need to see if Target/WalMart have their school supplies on their websites yet at their stupid low prices. I don't want to venture out to by them on the day we've got planned for other back to school shopping because I don't hate myself that much.

• Like 1

Spoiler Alert: FedEx was fixed and I did indeed have loads to make up for. My boss was also out today after her husbands quasi-maybe-but-probably-not heart attack yesterday. So I got to throw on my cape and be super employee/assistant manager/new hire trainer/etc. (I'd be more mad about that because I got roped into that a LOT at my old job but my boss is actually pushing HR to let me be the person for the new assistant manager position she wants to create -and- give me a raise, so...)

Super frustrating day though. Trying to be understanding to myself and the new hire, but I'm one of those 10000 mile an hour people who can take a call, do her work, while also browsing Target for school supplies. I also pick up on stuff crazy fast, so I have to try really hard to empathize with people who don't. So, taking a deep breath to get through the last half hour or so at work before I go home, change, and go shout it all out of my system at the barbell tonight.

I coulda caved and bought chocolate, but I didn't. Small victory is small, but still victorious. I wound up missing lunch to cover the workload today and munched a salad and some pickle chips at my desk. I did also buy a Pepsi, but I don't feel bad about it. 

• Like 2

Remember how I said at the start of his challenge that I didn't have enough spoons for social media? >.>

I finally had to call out a family member for one of the (freakin' billions) of memes she's been reposting. Like, I wanted to believe so hard that people weren't being jerk faces any more than normal, but I swear. Political memes are going to give me a coronary someday. Usually I just ignore her posts (she's my grandma, so I don't want to unfriend her or anything) but I finally had to snap back at her reposting one of those "people on welfare should eat what they're told and if they don't like it they should get a job!!" sort of things. Like... look, I get it that you're super conservative and whatnot.. but c'mon. Every single one of your kids had to take government assistance at some point. Every. One. And you knew damn well and good they weren't lazy at all - and that to even get that assistance you gotta have a job - so c'mon. Pump the brakes granny, this kind of judgemental shitty attitude is why some people who desperately do need help refuse to reach out for it because the stigma hurts worse than the hunger pains do. 

Just... gah. This is why I hate social media (Facebook mostly, Twitter sees less viral meme shit posting in my little window). Stuff like that is just so unbelievably toxic.

Whatevs.

Updates!

Gym happened. Barbell didn't happen because I misplaced my folder with the workout breakdowns for myself/hubs/friends. So we hit the treadmills and I watched makeup tutorials while sweating my face off. It did feel so good to get moving to get the 'fuck this' of the day outta my system.

Meal plan is continuing to work itself out. The original plan for Tuesday was moved to today, we followed yesterday, and the original plan for today is being shifted to Saturday so we're still on track for hitting the quota for the week. I didn't get any grocery shopping started yesterday due to work so we'll see how it pans out today.

I also ate no dairy yesterday! I almost caved for that chocolate at work, but I didn't and didn't pick anything up after work either. 

Its safe to say I won't be reinstalling social media on my phone any time soon either >.> today is one of the days I intend to reconcile my budget on YNAB and I'm probably going to cry because I know its completely shit right now. But deep breaths, I can hopefully pull us back into green territory this payday. We've seriously overspent in some areas and I'm going to have to sit down and point out to my husband where the biggest culprits are so he can get a visual for how bad we're being in like... the eating out department. Its insane. There's no other way to describe it. 

I'm also gonna probably go through my planner today and get my daughter's enrollment done online. I'm so stoked too! They've completely redone how they enroll in her district and I can do all of it online since we haven't moved and then we can avoid the giant mess at the main school where they all enroll and just go to her individual school to get the rest of her stuff (like her schedule, check the nurse's office for immunizations, meet the principal, bus schedules, etc). I'm like.. beyond excited to not have to go avoid accidentally punting a kindergartener at enrollment when it runs under my feet like a stray dog.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Annabelle said:

I'm like.. beyond excited to not have to go avoid accidentally punting a kindergartener at enrollment when it runs under my feet like a stray dog.

This is the best visual.

2 hours ago, fleaball said:

This is the best visual.

"Accidentally" punting...

Work is driving me insane. I hate having to put a filter on myself to not sound hella bitchy sometimes. Like no... it's 30 minutes until you clock out and this morning it took you three hours to finish one client. I don't think there's anything you can do at this point that you'll actually finish kthx.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Annabelle said:

"Accidentally" punting...

Work is driving me insane. I hate having to put a filter on myself to not sound hella bitchy sometimes. Like no... it's 30 minutes until you clock out and this morning it took you three hours to finish one client. I don't think there's anything you can do at this point that you'll actually finish kthx.

Oh god that sounds miserable. Managing people is the fucking worst.

Shark week is in full effect, and everything is terrible >.> 

Midol has failed me. I have a lil over two hours to go before I can reasonably head out of work early.

I'm also being bugged by a friend of mine wanting referrals for her husband for a job with my company (which, under normal circumstances I'd probably reply to.. but like, right now there's a velociraptor trying to escape my uterus and I'm hella nauseous and its justnotagoodtimenowkthxbai)

I also had dairy this morning when my husband went out at the ass crack of dawn to my favorite breakfast place and got me eggs benedict ♥

• Like 1

anna-kendrick-staying-home.gif 

This has been me today. I left work a bit early, came home, curled into a ball until I realized I hadn't eaten anything since breakfast when my hubs brought me those eggs. The first 24 hours is always the WORST and I was super nauseous all day.

I ate some alfredo pasta, so there was most definitely dairy in there. Which I'd feel more guilty about if I gave half a fuck on this, the day of the sharkiest of sharks.

I do have an open invite tomorrow for a free session with my buddy who's a personal trainer. I might take him up on it as penance for my dairy-ing. Or because I know he'd work my butt off and I kinda feel like I need it.

• Like 2

Update time! Answers in .gif forms only (obvs not really, but kinda)

Dairy

tumblr_mrpb803dGQ1r9pt1so1_250.gif

I struggled over the weekend, shark week happened and pizza happened. It's hard to say via my diary if dairy made a difference, because ladies can confirm.. nothing makes sense during shark week. But I did get my non-dairy coffee creamer and non-dairy shredded cheese delivered with my groceries yesterday to get back on it this week now that I'm mostly finished with all things shark related.

Meal Plan

tenor.gif?itemid=11276280

I did stick to the meal plan that I halfway devised. So that's good. It's kinda shaping up right now - I have tonight, tomorrow, and Thursday planned out so we'll see how that works itself out this week. Lays, sadly, are not on the menu though.

Time Management

tumblr_mrw3uvBp2w1qitxqpo5_250.gif

I did the things! I reconciled my budget, I updated my planner, and I spent some time working on character backstory this week. 'Free time' at work might be a bit non-existent this week, as our office is 90% finished as of when we peeked in Friday. So we should be migrating offices sometime this coming week and that'll probably eat up an entire day and put me WAY behind schedule on my workload. Boo. 

Gym

tumblr_mfn5w8wP1c1rtemcdo1_r1_250.gif

I did go twice last week. Saturday I ditched because of aforementioned sharks and nobody complained.. lol. I firmly intend to be back at the gym tonight though. Obligatory check-in will happen when I do.

Social Media

tumblr_mfn5w8wP1c1rtemcdo7_250.gif

I couldn't tell you how much time I spent on social media lately. Facebook is virtually non-existent except like... once before work and once before bed. Which led to me finding out 12 hours after the fact that my dad's quasi-service dog passed from a stroke yesterday. It made me cry way too early in the morning :(  She was saved from a high kill shelter that my parents drove 5 hours to get to to rescue her. After my parents moved away, she started seeing my dad struggling with his PTSD and pretty much low key became his service dog. She never slowed down, even though she was easily probably 13-14 years old. She did pass the torch as the alpha in the pack to my dad's 'trainee' dog Sam. The nerdy hopeful in me wants to believe she held on long enough to make sure her job was taken care of when she went </3. I know my dad's struggled a lot since they moved and all the kids are gone. My heart is just breaking for him right now.

• Like 2

So random update from work. If anyone remembers my challenges from a couple years back, you know I had access to a personal trainer once a week at work, for free (Woo!). Well, that's past tense. Had. They wound up cutting that program out because we were running out of office space and they converted the basement from our on-site gym to a bunch of offices. I had a mega sad. All my weights/the treadmills/etc are gone and in some random box truck on the property in storage now.

Anyway fast forward to like.. last spring. Our HR person talked to me one day in the lunch room (we're like... the only people it seems who don't just go grab fast food) and mentioned if I had any ideas for like, wellness incentives/fun competitions/etc to get people on board she'd love to hear them. I didn't really have any, but it was cool she thought of me for it?

Well, our building is like... overflowing with people right now. So much so, they're building an entire wing onto our building to make up for it. It's almost done (see above: went to field trip to the new building to inspect our office. We're still missing a lil furniture before we can move but move-in day is closing in quickly). So I swallowed down some antsy "I hate talking to HR" I was feeling and messaged her asking if they had any intention of bringing the gym back once the new building is done, or if they're going to dedicate a new space for it, or what have you. So I'm crossing my fingers that they bring my gym back. Like... really really hard. I miss having the weights downstairs to go work out some lunch time frustration - even if they don't bring back our trainer (Though no lie, I miss having him here! He was a really great trainer, and if his gym wasn't literally on the other side of the metro from where I live, I'd probably just get a membership there).

If not - does anyone have any ideas I could throw at her? I'm debating asking about if they'd consider at least partial reimbursement of gym membership fees? Or help subsidize fitness trackers/health improvement type things that are relevant for office dwellers like us? My old job did two 'health faires' per year, where they'd bring in people do run basic blood tests (cholesterol, blood sugar, triglycerides, etc) and you'd get a kickback if you participated. Hell that's how I wound up with my Garmin - which I LOVE - for free.

• Like 1

Update to the random update - short answer? Nope. They're still gonna have too many people so the basement will continue being offices and the gym is just SOL. :( Which I'm more bummed about now because yesterday we wound up not making it (my friend who goes with us wasn't feeling well, hubs hasn't been feeling well either, and by the time I finished getting dinner handled it was almost 8). So lots of frustration on that front. I also stayed up way too late last night, and am guzzling cold brew coffee to wake myself up before I get started on my work (which is getting horrifyingly backed up).

Gah.

• Like 1

On 7/16/2018 at 1:02 PM, Annabelle said:

I'm debating asking about if they'd consider at least partial reimbursement of gym membership fees? Or help subsidize fitness trackers/health improvement type things that are relevant for office dwellers like us?

I think these would be great ideas. If they're looking for ideas but can't have an on-site gym, it seems dumb to say no to something like this too. 

• Like 1