• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Lateral Planet

Lateral Planet: Winter of Workouts

Hey everyone, I'm fresh off a super successful challenge and ready to rock this one! I'm going to start a week early since 4 July is just another normal Wednesday for us in Australia and I'm keen to maintain this momentum ;)

Challenge Quests

1) Maintain a food diary

2) Max 25g added sugar daily

3) Exercise three times a week

4) One of those must be a full bodyweight workout

Finally, work has quietened down a bit and for the next six weeks I get to enjoy a nice regular 9-5 schedule. All the overtime I did in the last challenge kind of ate up all my exercise time, so I'm taking this opportunity to get back into a regular habit. I've really loved doing Zombies Run! but on the other hand, I haven't done so much as a knee pushup in two months, and I haven't had a regular routine since probably February. Not to mention, since we're in the depths of winter down here I could do with more versatility in my exercises; no need to force myself out into the cold when I could work out in the comfort of the living room instead!

The 25g rule was probably my best discovery of the last challenge. Even though I didn't have that much time for exercise in the last challenge, I still lost a fair bit of weight, and I'd credit it to this one change. Apparently 25g is supposed to be the recommended daily intake, and it's taken a while but I'm getting the hang of being satisfied with that much, with the occasional splurge on some really good ice cream ;) I'm not counting the natural sugars in dairy or fruit and veg.

The other exciting thing happening during this challenge is to do with my tracking notebook. This time last year I bought a super nifty five-year diary just for recording my workouts in. It was a heck of a risk because historically I usually stop after a couple of months, so five years is a crazy commitment, but this time I was actually 100 per cent faithful for a whole year! So I'll be starting to see where my current fitness level on any given day compares to my fitness level a year ago. The whole idea was that I'd be motivated to one-up my past self, will be good to see how well that works!

Good luck everyone :D :D

• Like 8

How did I forget, it also marks six months of continuous challenges since I came back to Nerd Fitness after a VERY long absence!! It's probably the longest I've persevered with an attempt to get fitter. I've managed to lose about six or seven kilos (15lb) in that time, which is not super dramatic but it's an ongoing downward trend, which is good. And I'm certainly feeling fitter. Tell 20-year-old me that in seven years I'd be doing (and enjoying!!) a 5km walk/run several times a week and she'd never believe it!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

The other exciting thing happening during this challenge is to do with my tracking notebook. This time last year I bought a super nifty five-year diary just for recording my workouts in. It was a heck of a risk because historically I usually stop after a couple of months, so five years is a crazy commitment, but this time I was actually 100 per cent faithful for a whole year! So I'll be starting to see where my current fitness level on any given day compares to my fitness level a year ago. The whole idea was that I'd be motivated to one-up my past self, will be good to see how well that works!

This is awesome! Congrats!

• Like 5

17 minutes ago, sylph said:

This is awesome! Congrats!

Thanks! :) Although now I feel I should clarify I was faithful about actually recording the workouts and not at all about actually doing regular workouts for a whole year ;) To be fair, even just tracking is a super great achievement, but even just flipping through the book I can see a lot of blank spaces. Aiming for fewer blank spaces for 2018-19!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Lateral Planet said:

Thanks! :) Although now I feel I should clarify I was faithful about actually recording the workouts and not at all about actually doing regular workouts for a whole year ;) To be fair, even just tracking is a super great achievement, but even just flipping through the book I can see a lot of blank spaces. Aiming for fewer blank spaces for 2018-19!

Writing down that you did a thing is important (IMO). Tangible evidence that work is being done is a very beneficial thing.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, sylph said:

Writing down that you did a thing is important (IMO). Tangible evidence that work is being done is a very beneficial thing.

^^That! 

And holy cow - and five year diary/planner!? I think the planner/neat freak in me just fainted.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, sylph said:

Absolutely, it's been a great motivator!

3 hours ago, Annabelle said:

And holy cow - and five year diary/planner!? I think the planner/neat freak in me just fainted.

I love it! I found it while on holiday in Japan last year, in one of their cool department stores with an entire floor devoted to stationary, it was amazing. Fiancé had to remind me we still had three weeks to collect souvenirs and finite luggage space :P I'll put up some pictures at some point later to share what I'm doing :)

• Like 4

I'm officially starting the challenge tomorrow but this is the anniversary of me using this notebook so I had to share! These are exciting times :)

1323205397_2018-07-0123_07_50.jpg.608450c05e550fcb151aedb941aa0cad.jpg

I did some sporadic exercises throughout the second half of last year, but without any real plan. For the first month or so I just did whatever the Darebee app told me to until I'd had enough, as above.

Today's run was actually a walk; it's been a couple of weeks since I was able to do any running or walking (stupid overtime) so we just took it easy today. Tomorrow if all goes well the puppy and I will have plenty of time and hopefully be able to pick up speed a little :)

• Like 4

Day 1 was good! I ended up sleeping in so there wasn't enough time for a walk before dark this afternoon, so I did a bodyweight workout instead. Guys, I'm so weak!! It's been months of almost exclusively just Zombie Runs (during which I still spend a lot of time walking) and so my body has pretty much forgotten how to do everything else! I knew that'd be the case, though, which is why a big part of this challenge is to diversify things a bit.

• Like 4

It all comes back faster than you think (or at least, faster than I think). Muscle memory is a real thing.

• Like 5

8 hours ago, sylph said:

It all comes back faster than you think (or at least, faster than I think). Muscle memory is a real thing.

Haha yep the memory is there, but the strength is not! ;) I was a bit wobbly on the last couple of squats and knee pushups, but it wasn't too bad, really. And I don't have any leftover soreness this morning so I'm taking that as a good sign!

32 minutes ago, Grizzy said:

Love the 5 year journal! I kind of want one now. :P

Me too, it's been great! The only drawback is that I can't actually read Japanese so I'm lucky it has Arabic numerals at least :P You probably wouldn't have to go all the way to Tokyo to get one, though

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lateral Planet said:

Haha yep the memory is there, but the strength is not! ;) I was a bit wobbly on the last couple of squats and knee pushups, but it wasn't too bad, really. And I don't have any leftover soreness this morning so I'm taking that as a good sign!

Oops, spoke too soon! Just did a couple of flights of stairs and my thighs definitely had something to say about that! Might have to cancel plans for running this arvo and just do a walk instead, give me some time to reset.

• Like 3

Yeah my thighs are pretty stiff right about now! Guess the ol' delayed-onset muscle soreness was more delayed than I initially thought :P Still, I persevered and the puppy and I went for a nice fast walk this evening. Might try speeding up a bit in the next couple of days when I'm back to normal.

Meanwhile, my nutrition goals are rolling along nicely but I don't intend to bore everyone by sharing my food log so instead here's a pic of some happy cows I met the other day:

1405340543_2018-07-0319_20_31.jpg.9864e10f70622afc51497f3de9eb959c.jpg

• Like 5

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:56 AM, Lateral Planet said:

The other exciting thing happening during this challenge is to do with my tracking notebook. This time last year I bought a super nifty five-year diary just for recording my workouts in. It was a heck of a risk because historically I usually stop after a couple of months, so five years is a crazy commitment, but this time I was actually 100 per cent faithful for a whole year!

This is something I need to do. Right now I have everything in a Google Spreadsheet which I update on my phone while I'm working out but I would like to put this stuff in a notebook to save it when the zombie apocalypse happens.

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:56 AM, Lateral Planet said:

The 25g rule was probably my best discovery of the last challenge. Even though I didn't have that much time for exercise in the last challenge, I still lost a fair bit of weight, and I'd credit it to this one change. Apparently 25g is supposed to be the recommended daily intake, and it's taken a while but I'm getting the hang of being satisfied with that much, with the occasional splurge on some really good ice cream ;) I'm not counting the natural sugars in dairy or fruit and veg.

Have you found that when you do have something like ice cream it tastes sweeter?

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Okay, so I am late to party, but looks like a great challenge. and YAY on the lack of overtime for a bit. Hopefully it stays that way.

Thanks!! Yep the money is good but I sure am enjoying having free time in the afternoons :D

9 hours ago, TheDitz said:

This is something I need to do. Right now I have everything in a Google Spreadsheet which I update on my phone while I'm working out but I would like to put this stuff in a notebook to save it when the zombie apocalypse happens.

One upshot of doing it on your phone is it's much more accessible; my great hulking notebook just stays on the coffee table at home. I am using a spreadsheet for my food log, though, especially when I end up having the same meals over and over I appreciate the autofill function ;)

10 hours ago, TheDitz said:

Have you found that when you do have something like ice cream it tastes sweeter?

Actually I haven't, but perhaps I'm just not observant enough! But I'm definitely getting used to just having less of something. The last time I got two scoops from Ben and Jerry's, halfway through I was like "This is way too much, what was I thinking!?" I finished it anyway, but now I know for next time:P

• Like 4

Day 3 has been pretty good, although I'm still quite stiff from squats the other day. That's probably why I haven't been able to re-establish a workout routine lately; I start off all gung-ho without stretching properly and then I'm suddenly not in the mood anymore. This arvo I just did some knee pushups, since my arms aren't too sore and I wanted to do something at least!

We're going out for dinner and to see Ant Man and Wasp tonight so I made sure to have no sugar today so as to leave room for a nice dessert :D

• Like 3

I can totally see the "And I did too much too fast" hitting. Hopefully you can find a good balance of everything.

Have fun tonight. I really want to see Ant Man and Wasp, but we will see. I had forgotten it was out.

• Like 2

I can totally see the "And I did too much too fast" hitting. Hopefully you can find a good balance of everything.

Yep I think it's just a matter of remembering to start again after stopping to heal, that's always been my downfall. Yesterday I used my desk in a standing position so I could stretch my legs a bit while I worked. I go a few odd looks from my coworkers ("Lateral, why is your foot on the filing cabinet?") but I think it helped a lot!

Have fun tonight. I really want to see Ant Man and Wasp, but we will see. I had forgotten it was out.

No spoilers, but it was a really fun movie! Except after the late night I slept in this morning so there'll be no time for a walk this arvo. That's fine since I can try some more exercises at home, but the puppy might be cross with me!

• Like 3

On ‎7‎/‎3‎/‎2018 at 7:18 PM, Lateral Planet said:

Actually I haven't, but perhaps I'm just not observant enough! But I'm definitely getting used to just having less of something. The last time I got two scoops from Ben and Jerry's, halfway through I was like "This is way too much, what was I thinking!?" I finished it anyway, but now I know for next time:P

I don't blame you for finishing. That ice cream isn't going to eat itself, right?

• Like 3

It's been a quiet couple of days; the challenge is going OK but nothing too newsworthy happened.

Doing well with the sugar limit. I had some major cravings for ice cream the other day but the puppy was already asleep in my lap and I was too polite and comfortable to wake him so I could get some. I've bought a couple of hot chocolates this week, but I don't know the exact sugar content of those so I'm just assuming my limit is maxed on those days.

I skipped exercising on a couple of days but I already reached my quota for the purposes of the challenge so that's no biggie. Went for a nice walk today just before the weather turned; hopefully that luck holds out tomorrow too!

• Like 3

Following. I started my challenge a bit early as well, mainly because my planner is currently arrange with Friday - Thursday weeks to align with my graduate courses. Taking it super easy this challenge since on my last one I petered out really quickly. Your goals seem really doable. How have you tracked your sugar intake? I know I need to be low carb/sugar but find tracking everything I eat to be really difficult so I quit within a day or two.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Theria said:

Following. I started my challenge a bit early as well, mainly because my planner is currently arrange with Friday - Thursday weeks to align with my graduate courses. Taking it super easy this challenge since on my last one I petered out really quickly. Your goals seem really doable. How have you tracked your sugar intake? I know I need to be low carb/sugar but find tracking everything I eat to be really difficult so I quit within a day or two.

Welcome! I've really struggled with food tracking in the past because it can be so darn fiddly. I did WeightWatchers for a while years ago and found it utterly exhausting to have to measure and calculate the value of every darn thing. Nerd Fitness recommends calorie counting, even for a short while, but I got fed up of that after about a day :P

So I started tracking at the most basic level: literally just a list of what I ate that day, so I could see broadly whether it was mostly healthy or mostly unhealthy. So I could be like, "OK, I had fish and chips for lunch yesterday, so today I should have something that hasn't been deep-fried!" Which helps even though it's not exactly the scientific microanalysing method others like.

My weakness is chocolate, though. I once made a challenge with a rule that I could only have chocolate after dinner, which did reduce my snacking but it meant I was having quite generous desserts to compensate. So last challenge I decided I would dig deeper with my tracking and just record and limit grams of sugar. I just added an extra column to my food tracking spreadsheet and set the limit at 25g.

This means a lot of checking of nutritional labels. I've got a little cheat sheet on my phone with the sugar content of some of the things I have the most. So I know the two teaspoons I put in a cup of tea equal 10g, and one ferrero rocher is 5g, so in one day I can have a tea in the morning and three ferreros for dessert and that's it for the day. It also means some planning ahead, like if I know we're going to the movies, I'll need to avoid sugar for the rest of the day so I can have an ice cream.

Also, I don't count the natural sugars in fruit or dairy. I know hardcore sugar-free people cut out fruit entirely, but I love fruit and myself too much to go that far. And anyway it's not the bananas that made me this unfit; it's all the marshmallows and TimTams and chocolate frappes from McDonald's, so that's what I'm targeting!

• Like 3