• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

So I am running my second half in October. I didn't train for my first one and about all I can say for it is I finished. Picked out a training program for this time around but it peaks at 11 miles two weeks before race day. I know that's really common for half and full training programs but I still feel like I should do 13 before the race. Someone convince me to trust the program please!

On 7/2/2018 at 1:54 AM, RangerDanger said:

So I am running my second half in October. I didn't train for my first one and about all I can say for it is I finished. Picked out a training program for this time around but it peaks at 11 miles two weeks before race day. I know that's really common for half and full training programs but I still feel like I should do 13 before the race. Someone convince me to trust the program please!

Trust the programme, or find another one! 

For a half marathon, most experienced runners will run the full distance (and possibly longer) in training - the marathon is different and I think only a small proportion will run the full distance in training. I'd run the half marathon distance in training, but not the full.

If your goal is to get round and get round well, running to 11 is fine. For your third half, if you're chasing a faster time, you probably should consider running the full distance in training, but that depends on all kinds of other factors.

Here's why running 11 in training means you can run 13.1 on race day:

• Adrenaline, sense of occasion, crowd support, the power of group activities. sheer bloody mindedness.
  • The taper. The programme should ease off before race day, allowing you to rest and recover. When you run your 11 miler, you'll be running in carrying the fatigue of all of the rest of your training. Your long run will be simulating running the last 11 miles, not the first. Your taper buys you the first.

If you do want to run 13 before the race, then find a programme that's built for that. Don't just extend the 11 to running 12 or 13 the week before, because you need the taper.

• Like 2

On 7/3/2018 at 4:43 AM, Rostov said:

Trust the programme, or find another one!  

I agree with this.. If you can't trust it from the start you'll be questioning it all the way through.  If you personally feel, for psycological reasons if nothing else, you need to run a half prior to the race... get a program that has it.  I have a friend that has had some success with the Hal Higdon plans  https://www.halhigdon.com/training/half-marathon-training/

Not trying to advocate for "Hal" plans, just thought I'd pass along some more options!