Maiyama's Daily Battle: 2018 Edition

Wednesday, July 4, 2018

This is going to be a simple log. Nothing fancy. 

Current Weight

170.8 pounds 

Food Log

A juice box

A handful of mixed nuts

A Boca burger with lettuce, onions, and ketchup

A medium baked potato cut into wedges with salt-free seasoning and ketchup

Two pieces of sweet corn

Seven to eight pieces of watermelon (NOT PIE!)

Workout Log

Chest Press: 3 sets of 10 reps with BodyGym

Bodyweight Squats: 5

Lunges: 6 (3 on each leg)

Began Day 1, Week 1 of the Couch to 5k Challenge. Completed the brisk five-minute walk, but only three alternating walk-jog cycles. The treadmill was set to 5.0 incline with walking set to a speed of 3.0 and jogging set to a speed of 3.5. Walked for about 2:30 minutes after the fourth cycle. 

For now, the plan is to work on the Couch to 5k Challenge on Sundays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. Mondays, Thursdays, and Saturdays will be reserved for weight training, with Tuesdays being my resting day. Specifically, Saturday will be the day I complete the Beginner Body Weight Circuit. Going forward, I need to increase the number of squats and lunges and reincorporate jumping jacks and push-ups into my workout routine. Possibly invest in a jump rope. 

As for the diet, I need to add more vegetables. Make a list of vegetables that are easy to carry around for snacks, such as celery, carrots, or snap peas. Look into fruit-infused water to help with sugar cravings. Stay away from sugary fruit juice. You can do it, Maiyama.  

Links In Case I Forget

Couch to 5k Challenge: http://www.c25k.com/c25k_metric.html

Beginner Body Weight Circuit: https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/

• Like 2

Thursday, July 5, 2018

Current Weight

170.4 pounds

Food Log

4 whole wheat crackers

Fruit juice (I caved, dagnabbit)

3 sheets of seaweed

2 cups of vegan chili

A bag of nachos

A green apple

1/2 cup of almonds

A bunch of grapes

Workout Log

Chest Press: 3 sets of 10 with BodyGym

Shoulder Press: 1 set of 5 with BodyGym

Lunges: 10 (5 on each leg)

Bodyweight Squats: 5

Jogged in place for 60 seconds

Situps: 5

Pushups: 2 

Those push-ups weren't cutting it at all. I think I'll stick with situps until I develop more upper body strength. Getting a little better with the lunges. Just hope I can make it past the treadmill exercise tomorrow.

It's sad, but I had kind of forgotten how good actual fruit tastes. So many times in the past, whenever I wanted something sweet I would drink some "fruit" juice or eat candy. When I go grocery shopping this weekend, pick up some more grapes along with the vegetables. 

Less juice. More water. You can do this, Maiyama. 

• Like 1

Friday, July 6, 2018

Current Weight

Food Log

Green smoothie (orange, raspberry, and spinach)

9 veggie bites 

Juice box

Corn on the cob

A handful of mixed nuts

Workout Log

Jumping Jacks: 30 

Situps: 10 

Lunges: 12 (6 on each leg)

Bodyweight Squats: 7

Jogged in place 60 seconds

Completed Day 1, Week 1 of the Couch to 5k Challenge. (Woot! :B )

Hope to get to the grocery store either tomorrow or Sunday afternoon. I should also look into stopping by the farmer's market, with it being summer. Sugar cravings are still kicking my can, at the moment. I did some research; apparently taking unsweetened cranberry juice and mixing it with sparkling water is a decent alternative. Maybe that will help. Either that or I start watering down the juice itself. You can do this, Maiyama.

• Like 1

Saturday, July 8, 2018 (kinda)

I decided to take a 15-minute nap yesterday around 8:45 PM. I woke up today around 4:30 AM. Ugh. 

Current Weight

169.0 pounds

Food Log

Two spoonfuls of chunky peanut butter

A handful of dried cranberries

Chips and salsa

Juice box

Veggie burger with lettuce

Popcorn

Green smoothie (pineapple, apple, mango, peaches, and spinach)

Workout Log

Completed the Beginner Bodyweight Circuit, substituting the 10 push-ups for 10 sit-ups. Those 20 lunges were muy dificil. My legs still feel gelatinous. 

After today, I will try to complete these logs in the morning. For one, to prevent incidents like this from happening. And secondly, apparently, it's a better idea to do weigh-ins in the morning as opposed to the evening, when I usually did them. Then take the average of each weigh-in and compare the scores week-to-week in order to determine true weight loss calculations. Makes enough sense. 

On 7/6/2018 at 10:30 PM, ReturnOfTheDad said:

I feel you on the sugar withdrawals. My go-to has been Topo Chico Twist of Lime:

A6DB9C18-BE94-4E4E-A196-29F0DC737BF8.jpeg.0770973fdb5cc5790d00d923d821a450.jpeg

No sugar and only 10mg of sodium (less than 1%), tastes like 7Up just without the sweetness, tang makes up for it though.

Another day down, you got this!!!

Thanks for all the advice and kind words!  From what I can tell, it looks like the only way to order Topo Chico is to do so online? I was hoping to buy one individual bottle to try it out.  It ends up working out, though, because I saw some other brands of sparkling water in the suggested section. Apparently, Sparkling Ice is sparkling water and not soda like I once believed it to be. That might be a nice alternative, as it's widely available in most of the stores near me. Thanks again for sharing your suggestion! I really appreciate it. :) 

• Like 1

Sunday, July 8, 2018

Average Weight (July 4-July 8)

170.8 + 170.4 + 170.8 + 169.0 / 4 = 170.25 pounds

As a reminder, I am to do future weigh-ins in the morning. 

Food Log

Serving of home fries :B

Veggie stir-fry 

A handful of mixed nuts

A bunch of grapes

Workout Log

Completed Day 2, Week 1 of the Couch to 5k Challenge.

Oddly enough, I found it easier to complete the Couch to 5k Challenge than the Beginner Body Weight Circuit, even though it took me much more time to complete. And even though I prefer weight training to cardio exercise. Go figure. 

Need to pick up some snap peas and carrots this upcoming week. The supermarket near where I work should have a good supply in stock. Also need to save up to experiment with healthy snacks. I heard kale chips are decent, depending on the brand.  You can do this, Maiyama. 

5 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Sure! I forget that Topo Chico isn’t everywhere, mostly just here in the south. Really any sparkling water is a good alternative. I saw Perrier came out with some as well. Sounds like you are on the right track.:)

Oh, really? I actually grew up in Alabama before moving further North, so I know what you mean about regional differences. It took me a while to get used to eating with Old Bay seasoning, haha. 

• Like 1

Monday, July 9, 2018 (in an alternate universe)

Wouldn't you know, it happened again. 

Current Weight

167.8 pounds

Food Log

Green smoothie (pineapple, apple, mango, peaches, and spinach)

8 Veggie Bites

An Orange

Fruit Snacks

Workout Log

Jogged in place 45 seconds

Chest Press: 2 sets of 10 with BodyGym

We all have our days, and yesterday was one of mine. My supervisor had me on the phone (called me while I was jogging, haha) for about 30 minutes, which interfered with my workout and I ended up having to rush through everything to get to work on time. Turns out my supervisor was acting as a harbinger, his call a precursor for an overall hectic day. Once I got home I completed a few chores around the house and laid down and rest for 20 minutes at 8:30 last night. Planned to wake up in time to see who the new Supreme Court justice pick was and then go back and finish my workout and log.

On the bright side, I have been getting 7-8 hours every night and my sleep quality has noticeably improved over the last few days. But I don't typically fall victim to these catatonic cat naps. Either way, I don't want this to become a habit. Tuesdays are supposed to be my rest days, but I need to make up for the workout I missed. I'm also not going to turn on the TV until I complete today's log. 

Tuesday, July 10, 2018

Kavanaugh, eat your heart out.

Current Weight

170.0 pounds

Food Log

A bunch of grapes

A slice of pineapple

Veggie Chili and Tortilla Chips

Cheese Curls

I made it a whole day without caving into drinking fruit juice. Never imagined it would be this difficult, but I'm glad I got it done. 

Workout Log

Jogged in place for 60 seconds

Lunges: 10 (5 on each leg)

Bodyweight Squats: 10

Chest Press: 3 sets of 10

Shoulder Press: 1 set of 10

11 hours ago, Valette said:

You are so considerate to your supervisor to take a call during a workout. I'll watch my activity watch rumble and swear at me before I pick up. XD

YAY LOGS!

Haha, well it was either take the call or have my supervisor rumble and swear the next time he sees me because he needed me for something important. 

And yes, double yay, in fact! The logs can be a pain to write sometimes, but I've made some much healthier choices in the past week thanks to them. :) 

11 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Great job keeping up working the Logs! Yeah, those work calls can certainly get in the way of workouts sometimes, awesome that you picked right back up again later. :)

Thank you, a good part of my motivation comes from getting kind words like yours and Valette's. And I hope your back feels better soon, btw. :) 

• Like 2

Wednesday, July 11, 2018

Current Weight

170.0 pounds

Food Log

Green smoothie (spinach, apple, mango, peaches, pineapple)

A pack of peanut butter crackers

A personal pizza (spinach and tomato)

Fruit snacks

Chickpeas 

Workout Log

Jogged in place 60 seconds

Completed Day 3, Week 1 of the Couch to 5k Challenge

• Like 1

Thursday, July 12, 2018

Current Weight

169.6 pounds

Food Log

Fruit Bar (100% apple and cherries)

Salad (romaine lettuce, arugula, carrots, mandarin oranges, honey roasted peanuts)

Veggie Taco (lettuce, cheese, tomatoes, pico de gallo)

Tortilla Chips 

Chickpeas 

Veggie Dog (with whole grain bun)

Snow Peas 

2 Sheets of Seaweed

Workout Log

Jogged in place 120 seconds

Bodyweight Squats: 10

Sit-ups: 10

Chest Press: 3 sets of 10

Shoulder Press: 1 set of 15

• Like 1

Friday, July 13, 2018

Current Weight

168.6 pounds

Food Log

Green smoothie (spinach, blackberries, apple, mango, pineapple, peaches)

1/2 cup Pretzels rods

Veggie Dog

3 Mozzarella sticks 

Snow Peas

1/2 cup Chick Peas

Workout Log

Completed Day 1, Week 2 of the Couch to 5k Challenge

Walked an extra 5 minutes to make up for the mozzarella sticks :B

We ordered out today at the office to celebrate our newest co-worker's first week on the job. Thankfully, I brought lunch so I didn't have an appetite for much. Mozzarella sticks are my kryptonite, though. Deliciously cheesy kryptonite. Now I'm stuck between either finishing off the three sticks I have leftover, or wasting food, which I'm not especially partial to. 

15 hours ago, Tobbe said:

You're setting a great example with your basic logs! Show us all that it doesn't have to be a small novel each time :)

Keep the log updates coming and I'll keep reading.

Haha, thank you! I'm a little surprised you find them interesting enough to read. I will keep them coming, then. :) 

• Like 1

Saturday, July 14, 2018

Average Weight (July 9-14)

167.8 + 170 + 170 + 169.6 + 168.6 + 171.1 / 6 = 169.51 pounds

Food Log

Tortilla Chips

Fruit Snacks

Mozzarella Sticks

A Doughnut

Veggie Patty

Brown Rice

An Apple

Workout Log

Completed Beginner Bodyweight Circuit (substituted 10 push-ups with 15 sit-ups)

What is it about the weekends that completely throws off my regimen? As soon as I finished off the cheese sticks from yesterday I figured, well, might as well eat a doughnut since I caved already. I took most of my healthy snacks to work, so maybe that was it. I'm getting used to the cardio and bodyweight training. Now I need to focus on training my stomach. I'm starting to understand the meaning of "you can't outrun the fork". 

• Like 1

The food wasn't all bad. You got carbs, protein and fat, and that's exactly what the body needs! Some good fiber and vitamins from the apple too! Maybe today you can try to adjust it a little bit so that you eat a little less of the fast carbs and a little more of the things you know are good for your body? You can do this!

Why did you sub the push-ups with the sit-ups?

• Like 1
12 hours ago, Maiyama said:

What is it about the weekends that completely throws off my regimen? As soon as I finished off the cheese sticks from yesterday I figured, well, might as well eat a doughnut since I caved already. I took most of my healthy snacks to work, so maybe that was it. I'm getting used to the cardio and bodyweight training. Now I need to focus on training my stomach. I'm starting to understand the meaning of "you can't outrun the fork". 

I’ve been struggling with this one a bit myself and talked to a friend of mine yesterday who recently lost 20lbs (about the same age and life situation - job, kids, etc.). His wife is a personal trainer and recommended he do all the standard stuff: Exercise (he did Couch to 5k and liked it), eating healthy (lean protein and veggies, limited carbs and subbed with more veggies) and most importantly once a week have a CRAZY cheat day. We’re talking cupcakes, ice cream, burritos, chips and salsa, the works. Something about having that cheat day once a week (typically on a weekend for him) helped him mentally with eating better throughout the week. I had another friend that lost 60lbs doing the Keto diet (this was under the guidance of a nutritionist) and when he would hit weight plateaus the nutritionist actually recommended a cheat day. I don’t remember the details about why it worked, only that it did something like ‘reset’ his system having to process a bunch of food it didn’t normally process. Here’s an interesting article that offers some insights: https://greatist.com/health/cheat-days-explained/amp

Hopefully this helps. I am of course not a professional on any of this, but am going to try it myself doing a cheat day on Fridays to try and stem the tide of weekend gluttony I usually get myself into.  I’m also making it a point to add a solid Saturday workout to help get my mind right going into the weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Best of luck!

• Like 1

Sunday, July 15, 2018

Current Weight

169.0 pounds

Food Log

A slice of plain wheat toast

A bunch of grapes

Snow peas

Veggie stir-fry (wheat noodles, broccoli, red and yellow peppers, green beans, GT sauce)

Fruit snacks

A handful of mixed nuts

Workout Log

Completed Day 2, Week 2 of the Couch to 5k Challenge

18 hours ago, Tobbe said:

The food wasn't all bad. You got carbs, protein and fat, and that's exactly what the body needs! Some good fiber and vitamins from the apple too! Maybe today you can try to adjust it a little bit so that you eat a little less of the fast carbs and a little more of the things you know are good for your body? You can do this!

Why did you sub the push-ups with the sit-ups?

Thanks for the suggestion. That was actually my plan for today, so you beat me to the punch. :) 

I switched out the push-ups for sit-ups because the sit-ups are much easier for me to do. The last time I tried to do push-ups I did about 2.5 before my arms started to buckle. But, now that you brought it up, I suppose the only way I can improve is by practicing them more, right? 

10 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

I’ve been struggling with this one a bit myself and talked to a friend of mine yesterday who recently lost 20lbs (about the same age and life situation - job, kids, etc.). His wife is a personal trainer and recommended he do all the standard stuff: Exercise (he did Couch to 5k and liked it), eating healthy (lean protein and veggies, limited carbs and subbed with more veggies) and most importantly once a week have a CRAZY cheat day. We’re talking cupcakes, ice cream, burritos, chips and salsa, the works. Something about having that cheat day once a week (typically on a weekend for him) helped him mentally with eating better throughout the week. I had another friend that lost 60lbs doing the Keto diet (this was under the guidance of a nutritionist) and when he would hit weight plateaus the nutritionist actually recommended a cheat day. I don’t remember the details about why it worked, only that it did something like ‘reset’ his system having to process a bunch of food it didn’t normally process. Here’s an interesting article that offers some insights: https://greatist.com/health/cheat-days-explained/amp

Hopefully this helps. I am of course not a professional on any of this, but am going to try it myself doing a cheat day on Fridays to try and stem the tide of weekend gluttony I usually get myself into.  I’m also making it a point to add a solid Saturday workout to help get my mind right going into the weekend. Will let you know how it goes.

Best of luck!

"Calculated cheating", huh? As long as I'm careful, I can see this working out. I've read similar articles that stated most of the individuals who participated in a study at the beginning of a new diet/exercise regimen had more success when they were allowed to occasionally indulge in a few of their favorite treats as opposed to cutting out all junk food all at once. To test if this will work for me, I'll try having one to two cheat-y meals per week. My only fear is that I go down that slippery slope and Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays all end up being my cheat days. Please let me know how well it works for you! :) 

• Like 1

Monday, July 16, 2018 (a retelling)

Current Weight

171.6 pounds

Food Log

A slice of wheat toast

A bunch of grapes

Snow peas (all out now :/) 

Pretzels

Veggie stir-fry (leftovers from Sunday)

Donut (ughhhhhhhhhhhhhhh)

Workout Log

Rest Day

Seeing as this is the second time I've had to make up for missing a Monday workout, I may as well switch my rest days from Tuesdays to Mondays. This should help out, as Mondays can get a little hectic transitioning from the weekend to the work week. 

I've been doing some more research and came to the conclusion that I should begin counting calories. To be honest, I should have started this at the beginning, but subconsciously figured "eh, I can just wing it and everything should be fine." Not so. Using healthycalculators.com, I estimated exactly how many calories I should intake daily to lose 2~ pounds per week, which is 1,441. Once I get the hang of counting calories, and I'm able to do so on a consistent and daily basis, I would like to start counting macros. 

22 hours ago, Tobbe said:

If you want to go down the slippery slope of cheating, please read this first: https://www.muscleforlife.com/cheat-meal/ :)

I know I keep saying this, but thank you so much for sharing! The more advice guidelines I have to follow, the less likely I think I am to go off track. Also, it was an interesting read. So, after going over the article, I'm now shooting for one larger-than-average meal every week (probably on Sunday mornings, for me), and eat meals with more protein leading up to it.