Maiyama's Daily Battle: 2018 Edition

4 hours ago, Maiyama said:

I'm now shooting for one larger-than-average meal every week (probably on Sunday mornings, for me), and eat meals with more protein leading up to it. 

Sounds like a great plan if that's what it takes to stay on track the rest of the week :) I think one meal per week is what I need too to feel that it's worth it during the week.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Maiyama said:

Seeing as this is the second time I've had to make up for missing a Monday workout, I may as well switch my rest days from Tuesdays to Mondays. This should help out, as Mondays can get a little hectic transitioning from the weekend to the work week. 

Sounds like a smart adjustment! I’ve had to make adjustments like that myself the last few weeks and they have helped me stay more on track. Definitely a journey. :)

• Like 1

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Current Weight

169.4 pounds

Food Log

A Green Apple (95 calories)

Mixed Nuts (1 serving: 160 calories)
Pop Chips (1 serving: 120 calories)
Chili Noodles (1 serving: 190 calories)

Chickpeas (1 serving: 120 calories)

Veggie Dog with Bun (340 calories)

Total: 1,025 calories

Workout Log

Jogged in place 60 seconds
Jumping Jacks: 35
Push-ups: 5
Sit-ups: 10

Chest Press: 3 Sets of 10
Shoulder Press: 1 Set of 10

8 hours ago, ReturnOfTheDad said:

Sounds like a smart adjustment! I’ve had to make adjustments like that myself the last few weeks and they have helped me stay more on track. Definitely a journey. :)

All too true, I just hope I can get a solid plan in place sooner rather than later. If this is a journey, some days I feel like I keep backing into the mailbox while trying to get out the driveway, haha. 

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 18, 2018 

Current Weight

167.8 pounds

Food Log

Green Smoothie (Spinach, peaches, strawberries, blueberries. 100~ calories)

Veggie Dog with Bun (1 serving: 340 calories)

Fruit Snacks (1 serving: 80 calories)

Cashews: (2 servings: 340 calories)

Chips and Salsa: (2 servings: 320 calories)

Dry Roasted: (1 serving: 170 calories)

Total: 1,350

Workout Log

Completed Day 3, Week 2 of the Couch to 3K Challenge. 

Made the mistake of eating a snack before getting on the treadmill. Not about to do that again any time soon. 

• Like 2

Thursday, July 19, 2018

Current Weight

167.6 pounds

Food Log

Green Smoothie (Spinach, peaches, strawberries, blueberries. 100~ calories)

Pop Chips (2 servings: 240 calories)

Veggie Bites (1.2 servings: 220~ calories)

Chickpeas (1 serving: 120 calories)

Vegetable Stir Fry (Whole grain noodles, mixed vegetables, fried tofu, GT sauce. 520~ calories)

Protein Bar (190 calories)

Total: 1,390 calories

Workout Log

Russian Twist: 1 set of 10

Shoulder Press: 1 set of 10

Bicep Curl: 1 set of 10

Chest Press: 1 set of 30

5 hours ago, Tobbe said:

How's it going for Runner 5? :)

Okay, I definitely had to look up that reference, and I have to say I'm intrigued with Zombies, Run. It's a shame my phone has limited memory, or else I'd put stock into downloading it. Even though I'm not a huge fan of zombies, listening to the storylines would be a nice change of pace from simply listening to music or watching the news.

Going back to your question, though, eh... I feel I had an easier go during the first week of the challenge. Jogging an extra 30 seconds didn't sound too difficult at first, but about 10-13 minutes into each workout now I have to start beating down the urge to quit. Especially yesterday, haha. But I guess it's all a part of the process and it'll get easier the more I practice.

• Like 1

I find it very interesting with the calorie breakdown of your food log! Do you have any idea where you're at with protein at all? Would be nice to see that as well, I'm worried you might be a little low...

Sorry about the obscure reference to Zombies Run. Got your battle log mixed up with someone else's. My bad! Cool that you figured it out though! And if you can afford it, I think it's a very well made game/app. I bought it a long time ago, when it first came out for Android, and have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. Great gamification of running I must say! They even have their own "0 to 5k" thing, but I haven't tried that so I can't vouch for it.

Saturday, July 21, 2018

Average Weight (July 15-21)

169.0+171.6+169.4+167.8+167.6+168.1 /6 = 168.9 pounds

Food Log

Chips and Salsa (2 servings: 480~ calories)

Peanut Butter and Celery (3 servings: 200~ calories)

A bunch of Grapes (1 serving: 62~ calories)

Snow Peas (1.5 servings: 38 calories) 

Leftover Stir Fry (Whole grain noodles, mixed vegetables, fried tofu, GT sauce. 520~ calories)

Total: 1,380 calories

Workout Log

Completed the Beginner Bodyweight Challenge. Next week, I will shoot for doing it three times throughout the day. I'm not sure I could do the whole circuit three times in a row just yet, so I'm planning on doing one circuit in the morning, and then two during the evening. 

Yesterday was a mess, in more ways than one. I woke up at 4:30 AM to do some last minute preparations for a big meeting at work, left the house at 8:30 AM, and didn't get back home until 12:00 AM the next day (today, technically.) Since I didn't work out at all, I'm going to skip my cheat day this week to make up for it. One day I will be able to successfully incorporate a daily workout routine into my schedule. 

On 7/20/2018 at 12:40 PM, Tobbe said:

I find it very interesting with the calorie breakdown of your food log! Do you have any idea where you're at with protein at all? Would be nice to see that as well, I'm worried you might be a little low...

Sorry about the obscure reference to Zombies Run. Got your battle log mixed up with someone else's. My bad! Cool that you figured it out though! And if you can afford it, I think it's a very well made game/app. I bought it a long time ago, when it first came out for Android, and have definitely gotten my money's worth out of it. Great gamification of running I must say! They even have their own "0 to 5k" thing, but I haven't tried that so I can't vouch for it.

Not exactly, but I would imagine the spinach, almonds, and peanut butter would count towards my protein intake? I usually add about a cup of spinach to the smoothies I make every other day. The meat substitutes I eat are also grain and/or soybean-based. If you have any suggestions I'd be happy to hear them. :)

Haha, that's okay! I would probably would have never found out about ZR if you hadn't mentioned it. 

tumblr_pc6q1kGtpy1woydmqo1_640.gif

Squat goals.

• Haha 1

About the protein... Let's start with some facts/quotes.

The World Health Organization (WHO) has research on how much protein we need. (Note that it says "safe levels". That means that's the minimum you need not to get sick.)

The value accepted for the safe level of intake is 0.83 g/kg per day

http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/43411/WHO_TRS_935_eng.pdf

Here's a good article about how much protein to eat: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-per-day

Basically, for anyone trying to lose weight and/or build muscle 2 g/kg or 1 g/lbs bodyweight seems to be a good rule of thumb. So for you that would mean about 170 grams of protein per day. The minimum, not to get deficiencies and get sick, is 64 grams.

So, let's look at what you're getting based on your last food log.

14 hours ago, Maiyama said:

Chips and Salsa (2 servings: 480~ calories)

Peanut Butter and Celery (3 servings: 200~ calories)

A bunch of Grapes (1 serving: 62~ calories)

Snow Peas (1.5 servings: 38 calories) 

Leftover Stir Fry (Whole grain noodles, mixed vegetables, fried tofu, GT sauce. 520~ calories)

Total: 1,380 calories

There are going to be a lot of guesstimates here, but just to get an idea...

Chips and Salsa, 480 kcal

2.8 oz (2 - 2.5 cups) corn chips

1 cup tomato salsa

--> 8 g protein

Peanut Butter and Celery, 200 kcal

2 tbsp peanut butter

1.5 oz (1 stalk) of celery

--> 8 g protein

Grapes, 62 kcal

3 oz grapes

--> 1 g protein

Fruit Snacks, 80 kcal

5 oz fruit (mixed fruits, fresh)

--> 0 g protein

Snow Peas, 38 kcal

2.6 oz snow peas

-> 3 g protein

Stir Fry, 520 kcal

2.8 oz whole grain noodles

3.5 oz mixed vegetables

6 oz tofu (I'm being very generous here)

2 tbsp GT sauce

--> 27 g protein

In total that's 8 + 8 + 1 + 0 + 3 + 27 = 47 g protein

This worries me. Currently you're not even meeting the WHO minimum.

I would really recommend you to try to get more protein in during your day. Tofu, tempeh and seitan are all excellent choices! But beans and chickpeas can also work if you serve it with mainly vegetables. If you could consider eating dairy you'd have a few more choices. Fat free greek yogurt and cottage cheese are both good sources of protein. 

One cup of spinach contains less than 1 gram of protein. A handful of almonds (1 oz) gives you a little more, about 6 g of protein, but it's also 180 kcal.

• Like 1

Sunday, July 22, 2019

Current Weight

166.6 pounds

Food Log

Snow Peas (2 servings: 80 calories)

Veggie Bites (1.2 servings: 220 calories)

Celery sticks and Peanut Butter (2 servings: 120~ calories)

A slice of whole grain toast (1 serving: 68 calories)

Tortilla Chips (2 servings: 320 calories)

Granola Bar (1 serving: 140 calories)

Total: 1,108 calories

Workout Log

Attempted Day 1, Week 3 of the Couch to 5k Challenge. Like what happened a few weeks ago, I hit a roadblock with advancing to the next level. For now, I'll repeat Day 3, Week 2 for a few more days until I get a tougher handle on it. 

10 hours ago, Tobbe said:

This worries me. Currently you're not even meeting the WHO minimum.

I would really recommend you to try to get more protein in during your day. Tofu, tempeh and seitan are all excellent choices! But beans and chickpeas can also work if you serve it with mainly vegetables. If you could consider eating dairy you'd have a few more choices. Fat free greek yogurt and cottage cheese are both good sources of protein. 

One cup of spinach contains less than 1 gram of protein. A handful of almonds (1 oz) gives you a little more, about 6 g of protein, but it's also 180 kcal.

After reading this through, I'd have to agree. (Also, yikes.) I won't be able to make it to the supermarket until about the middle of this week, but I did some searching around and found half a bag of quinoa in the pantry. I'll try having a cup of that for breakfast tomorrow. The Greek yogurt, chickpeas and tofu I can definitely incorporate into my diet. Thanks as always for the helpful advice. 

Monday, July 23, 2018

Current Weight

167.2 pounds

Food Log

1/2 Cup Cooked Quinoa with Walnuts (1 serving: 314~ calories)

A slice of whole grain toast (1 serving: 68 calories)

1 Cup Veggie Chili (1 serving: 100~ calories)

Snow Peas (1 serving: 14 calories)

Celery and Peanut Butter (3 servings: 130~ calories)

Salt-Free Chips (1.5 servings: 225 calories)

Total: 929 calories 

Workout Log

Rest Day

Made a mistake with the quinoa. I didn't have any cinnamon to sweeten it with, and I didn't want to use sugar. So I used some extra pumpkin pie spice that was laying around in the cabinet. The allspice overpowered just about everything else. The taste wasn't too terrible at first, but I had to really convince myself to finish it off halfway through. I ordered some sugar-free apple butter today so I won't have to go through this again.

• Like 1

Tuesday, July 24, 2018

Current Weight

167.0 pounds

Food Log

1 Cup Veggie Chili (1/2 cup of salsa, 1/2 cup of Boca crumbles. 1 serving: 100~ calories)

Pretzels (1 serving: 140 calories)

Coca Pie (1 serving: 120 calories)

Green Smoothie (Spinach, blueberries, strawberries. 1 serving: 100~ calories)

Total: 460 calories

This looks abysmal, seeing the numbers laid out like this. But I haven't felt very hungry at all the past two days. Hope to make it to the grocery store either today or tomorrow to pick up some more quinoa, the tofu, and yogurt (among other things).

Workout Log

Shoulder Press: 1 set of 15

Bodyweight Squats: 15

• Like 1

Wednesday, July 26, 2018 

Current Weight

167.2 pounds

Food Log

Green Smoothie (Spinach, blueberries, strawberries. 1 serving: 100~ calories)

Peanut Butter Sandwich (1 serving: 344 calories)

Doritos (1 serving: 150 calories)

Seaweed (1 package: 60 calories)

Snow Peas (2 servings: 28 calories)

Fruit Snacks: (1 serving: 80 calories)

Total: 762 calories

Workout Log

Completed Day 3, Week 2 of the Couch to 5k Challenge. I think I'll go one more session at this level before trying Day 1, Week 3 again.

Thursday, July 26, 2018

Current Weight

166.5 pounds

Food Log

Veggie sub (1 8-inch sub: 558~ calories)

Breadsticks: (4 sticks: 400 calories)

Cheese Pizza: (2 slices: 400~ calories)

Total: 1,368 calories

My supervisor ordered out for lunch at our favorite place. This is both good and bad; good because I forgot to bring my breakfast this morning and was starving by the time lunch rolled around. Bad because of the temptation to order all of my old favorites. I stuck with the slightly healthier sub option though and took home leftover pizza for dinner and held it hostage in the fridge until I did my workout. 

Workout Log

Lunges: 10 (5 on each leg)

Shoulder Press: 1 set of 12

On 7/25/2018 at 11:42 AM, Tobbe said:

Very good! :) Had some tempeh myself the other day. Good stuff! If you haven't tried it I think you should :) 

Thank you. I forgot to pick up the tofu (it's just been a forgetful day for me, I guess), but there's a Safeway up the street from where I work. When I break for lunch today I'll stop by and pick up the tofu and tempeh. I was kind of dancing around the idea of trying it out, but it looks like you can do a lot with it. 

Really excited to try the breakfast recipe I have lined up tomorrow, apple spice rolled oats (quinoa and steel cut oats). It's been raining like crazy over here the past few days, so it'll be nice to have a warm breakfast. 

• Like 1

Friday, July 27, 2018

Current Weight

167.2 pounds

Food Log

Apple Spice Rolled Oats: (1.5 cups: 410~ calories)

Breadsticks: (2 sticks: 200 calories)

Total: 610~ calories

Workout Log

Skipped Day 3, Week 2. 

We're preparing for an audit at the office, so everyone (including my supervisor) is stressed up to their eyeballs. Add to that, the printer stopped working randomly halfway through the day and I had to cover for the receptionist. Thankfully, the rolled oats I had earlier were very filling so working through lunch wasn't too terrible. (And, of course, I couldn't make it to the store.) By the time I got home, I ate a few breadsticks and called it a day. I know it's not in my best interest to keep eating (or not eating, I suppose) like this. I just really wish this audit would be over and done with so my stress can go back to being at belly-button level. :B

Saturday, July 28, 2018

Average Weight (July 22-28)

166.6 + 167.2 + 167.0 + 167.2 + 1665. + 167.2 + 165.8 / 7 = 166.7 pounds

Food Log

Cheddar Jalapeno Biscuit w/ Marinara Sauce (2 servings: 302~ calories)

Apple Spice Rolled Oats (2 cups: 460~ calories)

Zucchini Pizza Boats (1.5 servings: 327~ calories)

Total: 1,089 calories

Workout Log

Completed Beginner Bodyweight Circuit, once in the morning and once at night.

On 7/27/2018 at 2:10 PM, Tobbe said:

Please do share a photo and full recipe for that porridge. Sounds delish!

1 Cup of Steel Cut Oats

1 Cup of Quinoa

2 Cups of Water

1 Granny Smith Apple

1-2 tsp of Cinnamon 

1 Tbsp of Apple Butter

1/2 Cup of Walnuts

I also included a scoop of protein powder in mine, but that's optional. :)

Stir ingredients together, excluding the apple butter, and cook on medium for 20 minutes. I add the apple butter about 15 minutes in. If you decide to try it out, I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

Oats.jpg

• Like 3

Sunday, July 29, 2018

Current Weight

167.8 pounds

Food Log

Apple Spice Rolled Oats (1 cup: 230~ calories) I think I'm addicted. I could see myself making cookies out of this for dessert. Or maybe just eating it for dessert and breakfast.

Celery and Peanut Butter (2 servings: 120~ calories)

Red Baron Cheese Pizza (2 servings: 540 calories) 

Fruit Snacks (2 servings: 160 calories)

Total: 1,050 calories

Workout Log

Completed Day 3, Week 2 of the Couch to 3k Challenge. Will attempt Day 1, Week 3 next time. 

12 hours ago, Tobbe said:

Can't try it right now. Need to get home from my motorcycle adventure first :) I'll report in as soon as I get around to trying it!

That applebutter though, what's the ingredients for that? We don't have apple butter in the stores here, so I'll have to make it myself...

Sounds like fun! The ingredients listed on the brand I bought (Musselman's) had apples, sugar, and spices (cinnamon and cloves). 

• Like 1

Monday, July 30, 2018

Current Weight

167.2 pounds

Food Log

Green Smoothie (Spinach, strawberries, pineapples, peaches, mango. 1 serving: 120~ calories)

Cheese Pizza (540 calories)

Salad (Romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges, mixed nuts. 290~ calories)

Salad (Romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges, mixed nuts. 290~ calories)

Fries (1.5 serving: 240 calories) 

Total: 1,560 calories

Workout Log

Rest Day

Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Current Weight

168.0 pounds

Food Log

That's It! Fruit Bar (1 serving: 100 calories)

Tortilla Chips: (1 bag: 430 calories) Mindlessly ate through the whole bag at work. :/

Salad (Romaine lettuce, mandarin oranges, mixed nuts. 290~ calories)

Boca Burger with Bun: (1 serving: 290~ calories)

Veggie Chilli: (1.2 servings: 140~ calories)

Tortilla Chips: (1 serving: 117 calories)

Total: 1,447 calories

Workout Log

Chest Press: 1 set of 20

I have a bruise from an accident on the back of my leg. It's been acting up on and off all day. Hopefully it will heal up some before I hit the treadmill. If it doesn't though, I might concentrate on upper body exercises and do a few leg stretches. 

• Like 1

Wednesday, August 1, 2018

Current Weight

168.4 pounds

Food Log

Veggie Chilli: (1.5 cups: 300~ calories)

Tortilla Chips: (1 serving: 130 calories)

Sunflower Seeds: (2 servings: 340 calories)

Honey Roasted Peanuts: (1 serving: 140 calories)

Quest Protein Bar: (1 serving: 180 calories)

Celery: (3 sticks: 18~ calories)

Granola Bar: (1 serving: 150 calories)

Total Calories: 1,338 calories

Workout Log

Unofficial rest day. 

21 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

How's it going? Haven't heard from you in a few days...

To make a long story short, I had a very busy work week that still isn't really over for me yet. I've been keeping notes of what I eat and how much I exercise (or not, in the case of Wednesday), but just never got around to entering them online until now. Thursday's and today's notes should be up within the hour. (Unless I fall asleep again like I did yesterday, haha.) 

How about yourself? I haven't checked your log in a few days, unfortunately. Did you try making the apple butter yet?