• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jean

... "Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!'"

I almost asked what a truit is, and then I realized it's almost certainly trout. A little disappointed because now I don't get to discover a new fish.

Tai chi sounds exciting. Will this be your first time doing it?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

32 minutes ago, Severine said:

I almost asked what a truit is, and then I realized it's almost certainly trout. A little disappointed because now I don't get to discover a new fish.

It is trout, indeed ! I'm not taking the time I should to search for words when I don't know them already and, instead, trust my guts (as I often do in life). It's been a very long time since I've last targeted anything more than "good enough" with my performances (and I'm not a native speaker, as it shows - french speaking swiss person here). You'll probably not discover any new fish with me. ;-)

Tai chi comes highly recommanded by one of my cousins (a kung fu addict) as a good habit to take on my way to more physically intensive arts (last time I've tried kung fu, I was totally drained halfway through the lesson). I've tried it a few times last year but my schedule and worklife were too messed up for me to have been able to attend regularly. I've got more balance now, so I'm confident I can pull something out. Being very balance oriented and needing to nurture both my mind and my body (while also shutting off of some of my too many thoughts to let my brains breath), it seems like something I should enjoy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jean said:

It's been a very long time since I've last targeted anything more than "good enough" with my performances (and I'm not a native speaker, as it shows - french speaking swiss person here). You'll probably not discover any new fish with me. ;-)

:eek-new: 

Un francophone! Je n'en avais aucune idée! Tu parles très bien l'anglais - mieux que je parle français. Je comprends la difficulté avec l'orthographe ... l'orthographe en français est souvent très difficile pour moi. Mais je pense qu'il vaut mieux parler de mannere fluide que d'arrêter et vérifier chaque mot dans un dictionnaire. Je suis Canadienne - anglophone de naissance...quand j'ai étudié le français à l'école (c'est obligatoire pour nous, de 6 à 14 ans), je n'aimais pas. Mes professeurs de français étaient tous méchants et les cours très ennuyeux, beaucoup de memorisation et des exercices dans le cahier. Mais à l'université j'avais beaucoup d'amis québécois (et une petite-amie aussi, pour un seul instant, haha) et j'ai passé beaucoup de temps à Montréal et j'ai découvert un amour pour la langue. Je me suis apris beaucoup de vocabulaire mais ma grammaire n'est toujours pas très bonne. C'est pas mal si je parle en phrases simples, mais dans des conversations plus complexes je suis vite perdu...alors pour moi en français, les phrases simples sont ma stratégie normale. Alors, parfois je crains que les français pensent que je suis un idiot   :D   Mais c'est la vie.

Switching back to English: I am planning to be in Zurich for a few days in January (vacation!) so if you have any recommendations of excellent things to do or see, let me know!

Paging @fleaball because French! One day we will go to the French speakers' meetup in Boston. One day...

• Like 1

Pfft. ça fait 8 ans que j'ai pas utilisé le français. Je peux le lire sans problème mais l'écrire ou le parler? Non merci. 

Tbh I had a feeling you were francophone but I didn't want to ask! In your post on my thread you wrote "developped" and put a space before a colon ( :  ) which tipped me off, but only because I recognize them as French things to do. But your English is worlds better than my French right now so I am hella jealous anyway. 

I had a physical therapist recommend Tai Chi as a good way to get in tune with your body and whatnot. I'm interested to see how you like it! 

• Like 1

Le français est une langue assez complexe, il y a des règles, et des exceptions, et des exceptions aux exceptions... Les mots ne s'écrivent pas comme ils se prononcent et la plupart des noms ont un genre exprimé qui demande d'être accordé en conséquence... en comparaison, l'anglais est plutôt simple, d'autant que je l'ai appris en me noyant dans les jeux vidéo en ligne. Il s'agit, pour moi, de la langue de l'imaginaire et de mon coeur.

Vous écrivez tou(te?)s deux très bien en français et non, les phrases simples sont en général la norme, donc pas d'apparence d'idiotie. Chapeau !

J'ai cru un moment que vous étiez francophones : "Séverine" est un prénom courant, par ici, et à cause de la signature de Flea. C'est courant, le mélange des prénoms anglophones et francophones dans une même région linguistique, au Canada ?

---

Anyway, thanks for the tip on space before colons (and, I imagine, exclamation points). Most people don't put them in french either nowadays, I'm just an old fart attached to things like that (and as such, I'm glad I'll be able to correct it in my English texts from now on).

Plenty of things to do in Zürich! I'm from the opposite side of the land, so I can't advise you much, though. For a few days in winter, I'd just stick with the city and plan another trip in the countryside later if you like it. The tourist offices are pretty good around here, so I guess their site can be trusted : https://www.zuerich.com/en

Don't forget to wander around the Limmat river and, if you're a fan of fitness, to go see one of the local Vita Trails. I don't know if there's something like it in other countries but if insurance companies ever did something great, this is it! The city is culturally active, so it's worth it to check if there's any special event when you come. Museums and the zoo should be worth it, as is the nightly life. Don't be afraid to use public transportation, they work great. Plus, you can tour the city with them and drop by whenever you feel like it (or have seen something you deem worthy of interest). Let me know if you have some spare time during your stay, I can always plan to drop by. ;-)

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jean said:

J'ai cru un moment que vous étiez francophones : "Séverine" est un prénom courant, par ici, et à cause de la signature de Flea. C'est courant, le mélange des prénoms anglophones et francophones dans une même région linguistique, au Canada ?

Yeah, I think it is more common in Canada to see French prenoms even in Anglos families, simply because there's much more exposure to French people and French culture, so Anglos will sometimes choose a French name for their child simply because they saw it somewhere and liked it. Canada has language laws that impact this (all packaging must be in both languages, for example, and all government documents/services) plus of course the mandatory French classes when we're kids. There are French cartoons on TV, etc. Also big cities like Toronto (where I'm from) have French immersion schools for Anglo kids who want to grow up fully bilingual - this is very common especially for wealthier families who want their children to have maximum opportunity in business and politics. Even silly things like hockey - many of the big stars are Québécois so you'll sometimes see little boys named after famous hockey stars. So yeah, there is a lot of exposure and the names mix together a little.

My real name is not Severine, but I do have an extremely French prenom (without fail, when I go to French speaking areas, they assume I am a native speaker due to my name) simply because my parents thought it was pretty. I was in Brussels for vacation a couple years ago (wonderful city) and I fell and broke a tooth and had to go to the dentist for emergency repair, and due to my name they thought I was French, so when I made a few speech errors they assumed I had hit my head in the fall  :D  It was a few minutes before they realized that I was just an anglo interloper with mediocre French abilities and a misleading name.

6 hours ago, Jean said:

Most people don't put them in french either nowadays, I'm just an old fart attached to things like that (and as such, I'm glad I'll be able to correct it in my English texts from now on).

For a long time I clung to the old way of putting two spaces after a period instead of one. I finally relented a couple of years ago and switched to a single space. I am still a bit sad about it. There was something somehow more elegant about the old way, I thought.

And thanks for all the tips for Zurich! I definitely have a lot of research to do.

Going back to Tai Chi - I agree with Flea, it'd be good to know what you think of it. I used to dismiss it as too slow to be interesting, but I am increasingly realizing the value of balance and muscle control as a foundation for everything. And the mental focus and discipline aspect of martial arts is really appealing to me - has a lot in common with mindfulness/meditation which I have fairly recently discovered and find very useful for managing a brain that never seems to want to switch off.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Severine said:

For a long time I clung to the old way of putting two spaces after a period instead of one.

Wait, is this a real thing ?  'cause I'm totally adopting it if it is.  Love it!

On tai chi: the little of it that I have seen indicates that it's very good to work on precision and patience.  It is aiming for perfection in movements so, very cool to make sure I'm doing things right before putting more speed and explosiveness in it.  Also, breathing. Making breathing a concious thing is a thing of beauty. Creating habits of inhaling and exhaling when it accompanies the movement you're doing was great.

So, not overly physically draining but very good practice for some of my flaws (precipitation, impatience, not taking care of my body, running after time, ...).  More on it after a few more lessons.

Food log

1 ham sandwich (morning)

Polenta, tuna and plums (noon and afternoon)

3l of water (throughout the day)

1 medium CBO meal (with water, McDo, evening)

1 black espresso (evening)

Fitness

I went for General Doms, today.  Failed to beat it this morning (right after getting up) but passed it more easily tonight.  It's amazing the difference in energy that the time of the day, or what I have eaten, or whatever makes.  I couldn't go for more than 10 squats this morning and could have gone a bit more after 20 tonight.  Likewise, a 10'' front plank was already much this morning, while I could hold for 40'' tonight.

Measurements

Weight: 76 kg (+0.6) -> going in the right direction

Neck : 36.2 cm

Chest : 87.6 cm

Right biceps : 27.2 cm

Left biceps : 27.0 cm

Waist : 84.6 cm

Hips : 97.4 cm

Right thigh : 51.8 cm

Left thigh : 52.0 cm

Right calf : 34.4 cm

Left calf : 35.0 cm

Body fat : 15.90%

Hydration : 57.80%

Using a body fat scale.

The changes are probably impacted by the way I took those measurements, so I don't put any stock in it right now. We'll see how it goes on the long run.

Goals tracking

I slept most part of the week-end and spent my time on the boards otherwise. In the state I am right now, I needed it, but it is more than I can afford. I'll have to make sure nothing stands in the way of taking thursday and friday off (not a given, next week is hell's week) to harvest the grapes on my vineyard: they're getting dryer by the day and won't be worth much in the end.

Anyway:

Have I done my exercise ? Yes.

On hold: have I wandered around with water at my disposal ? No.

Have I cooked this week ? Yes.

Have I taken part to my first tai chi lesson ? Not yet. Tuesday.

On hold: have I taken care of my internet site ? Nope.

• Like 1