I was on NerdFitness 3-4 years ago. Doing challenges. Doing pushups, for crying out loud. Then I had a pacemaker put in, and I kind of fell to pieces. It took 6 weeks of rest and physical restrictions to recover from the actual (minor) surgery. The depressive funk I slid into lasted longer than that. I just stopped caring.

During the time I had been here on NF, I had lost 40 pounds. I kept them off for awhile. But then, I suddenly found myself hungry. I mean hungry. All. The. Time. Some of the pounds found their way back to me, slowly. Twelve of them, to be exact. I kept thinking I should "do something" about that, but just couldn't muster up the willpower. I was so tired. And tired and hungry people eat. I found myself eating sugary crap just to keep the beast at bay. And to give me energy -- except the sugar did just the opposite. So now I was ravenous, tired, and falling asleep at work. Gaining weight. Did I mention I felt like crap? And thirsty. OMG I was thirsty. I was having that issue a bit way back when here on NF, and just couldn't seem to drink enough water. Well, it got worse. I felt old. Tired, and shriveled up and old. Until I went to the doctor last year, and was diagnosed with *borderline (pre-) Diabetes.

Fast forward to now. I've lost almost 30 pounds (down 60 overall from my highest weight). I'm on a low-carb diet (never, ever did I imagine I would do that). I eat more veggies and healthy fats (yay for olive oil!) than I ever did before. Very little processed food (okay, I still go out to eat more often than I should, but I make much better choices now). My blood sugars have improved, but not where I would like to see them. And I still have this bit of belly fat that just wants to hang around. I've done the diet thing to death -- meaning, it's not the food holding me back anymore. I need to exercise if I want to see more improvements in my body shape and blood sugars.

So I'm back, with a better outlook. And more energy to do the stuff with the things that need to be done. The stakes are higher now, than they were when I just wanted to lose weight. But I think I got this. Just gotta do it, one pushup at a time.

image.png.1c7a328ca4143c5efe9393085f91e522.png

*Borderline Diabetes (pre-Diabetes): Not bad enough to be full-blown Diabetes, but blood sugars not in normal range, either. Basically, your metabolic system is broken, but you haven't quite broken big pieces of it off, yet. Estimates are out there that 50-75% of people who are borderline (pre-D) will go on to develop type 2 Diabetes within 5 years.

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again

Hello! Glad to have you back and you are inspirational :) if you do a challenge please link so that i can follow

• Like 1

Daily Battle Log, Sweat like an Orc, Live like a Hobbit, and Look like an Elf

“As the Wheel of Time turns, places wear many names. Men wear many names, many faces. Different faces, but always the same man. Yet no one knows the Great Pattern the Wheel weaves, or even the Pattern of an Age. We can only watch, and study, and hope.”  Robert Jordan, The Eye of the World

13 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Welcome back and congratulations on the successful re-spawn!

5 hours ago, ladyofthebog said:

Hello! Glad to have you back and you are inspirational :) if you do a challenge please link so that i can follow

Thanks for the welcome. :) I am doing a challenge in the 1st timers forum, seeing as it's been so long since I've done an actual challenge. Here's the link.

• Like 1

AnnieP (respawned)

Starting over Newbie (second time's the charm)

"Never be satisfied with anything less than absolute perfection! ...said no sane person ever." -- Spark

"And my cheese monster will never be satisfied by cheddar, only the cheese of accomplishment." -- Ze Frank, An Invocation for Beginnings(NSFW)

Current Challenge: Finding Her Joy Again;  Previous Challenge: Here We Go Again