• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Malownage

How often do you weigh yourself?

Hey friends,

I feel like in the past I have stepped on the scale on an almost daily basis. I realize that on a day to day basis, weight will fluctuate for sure. Seeing the weight loss helps cement why I'm doing this in my mind and is a little intrinsic reward. HOWEVER, I feel that in the past seeing my weight drop, especially at the start, has enticed me to cheat here and there and eventually fall off the wagon.

So, how often do you weigh yourself? Right now I'm leaning towards every 2 weeks or each month.

For the longest time, once a year.  Currently, daily, trying to get an overall view of how high the fluctuation is on my weight over the course of the next 6 months or so.  Then I'l probably drop it to once a week or once a month depending on what kind of changes I see.

You should weigh yourself everyday and write it down. Then after one week, add all your weigh ins together and divide by 7. Weight fluctuates daily so by taking the average of your weigh ins this will be a more accurate way to tell how much you weigh. 

On 7/6/2018 at 10:48 PM, Malownage said:

Hey friends,

I feel like in the past I have stepped on the scale on an almost daily basis. I realize that on a day to day basis, weight will fluctuate for sure. Seeing the weight loss helps cement why I'm doing this in my mind and is a little intrinsic reward. HOWEVER, I feel that in the past seeing my weight drop, especially at the start, has enticed me to cheat here and there and eventually fall off the wagon.

So, how often do you weigh yourself? Right now I'm leaning towards every 2 weeks or each month.

I'm the same way, so I weigh in Friday or Saturday mornings (I'm more compliant during the week, so my weight sodium levels and such are more consistant at those times) every 2 weeks.

On 7/6/2018 at 10:48 PM, Malownage said:

The age old question!

I weigh myself weekly - usually either Sunday or Monday morning, first thing after I get up. Sometimes, if the number looks out of whack with current weigh-ins, I'll add an extra day just to see if it was a fluke or if I'm off track. 

But there isn't a right or wrong answer to this question. If daily weigh-ins weren't working for you, don't do them. After reading your challenge and seeing your starting point, if it were me, I'd do it monthly. Cement your routine, then worry about the number on the scale. 

I think that if you do weigh yourself every day, you need to keep a log of the daily numbers and review them every couple of months. It's true that weight will fluctuate every day, but over time you should be able to see the bigger picture. The more times that you weigh yourself, the more data that you will have about your weight to know if you are making progress or not.

If daily weigh ins are negatively affecting your motivation and workouts, then I wouldn't force yourself to keep doing them. Information about your daily weight can be nice, but it isn't as important as other things. What is important is that you stick to your fitness and health schedules. If you do that, the weight numbers will just drop over time. 

Every week to ten days. More concerned with body fat percentage and lean body mass than overall weight at this point. I keep a close eye on whether or not I’m losing muscle mass while the fat burns off, but staring at the numbers daily wouldn’t tell me anything new. 

After doing it a lot in the past,

I have stopped , and go by how my clothes are fitting,

And by how I am looking in the mirror.

Progress pictures sound like a good idea.My plan was to weigh in every two weeks, and after reading this, I think I'll add progress pics each month. Not to share, but just to see for myself. 

I just saw the thread title.  I typically weigh myself twice per day, once in the morning and once in the evening.  I use the morning weight to monitor daily and weekly trends.  (I eat like an idiot on the weekends and this shows up as the weight is higher Monday morning and usually trends downward through the week.)

My scale seems to try to discourage over-measuring by showing the weight to be identical if it is within one pound of the last weighing.  I do not know the full detail.  So if I weigh 204.0 pounds one morning and weigh in the next day within one pound of that, then it will still read 204.0 pounds.  I defeat this by weighing myself at night and in full clothing.

I way myself once per week; Friday morning before stepping in the shower.

After this morning's weigh-in, I lost 3.6 lbs this week!

Joining in late, but here we go :)

I weigh myself everyday. I have an aria scale, and it puts the data on fitbit. I tried to weight in under the same conditions each day. I get up, go to the bathroom, then weight myself. Mostly around the same time in the morning. I go into it knowing full well that the scale fluctuates all the time. I just like tracking it. If I notice an upswing in weight, no big deal. I see the same trend happening for 3 or 4 days, then I know I need to look at my food intake. It works for me, might not work so well for others.

I also have plenty of other Non scale things I track. Measurements taken during most of the Challenges I do. (I didn't last challenge) I also have been taking pictures for me to compare. 

I have a belt that I was wearing at my heaviest. I can see how far I have come on my journey to far, just by seeing how much further I am in the belt holes.

1 hour ago, GeekWingChun said:

I heard someone encouraging people to weigh themselves DAILY. I was like, damn...that seems excessive.

Some people like to do so because it really shows just how much your weight will fluctuate on a regular basis. I also find it excessive though. ;)

14 hours ago, Defining said:

Some people like to do so because it really shows just how much your weight will fluctuate on a regular basis. I also find it excessive though. ;)

^This

I weighed myself every day when I started so I could more easily identify trends, and get comfortable seeing high and low numbers. I also know now how my body fluxes, what usually causes it, and how much truth I can give numbers. (For example, I tend to trust unexpected lower numbers rather than unexpected high ones because my body fluxes up at the drop of a hat, while being pretty stubborn to drop below certain points without lots of work.)

That said, I weigh myself maybe monthly now? I’m not keeping super solid track of my weight these days, even if I’m a bit fluffier than I’d like. 

1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

I weighed myself every day when I started so I could more easily identify trends, and get comfortable seeing high and low numbers. I also know now how my body fluxes, what usually causes it, and how much truth I can give numbers. (For example, I tend to trust unexpected lower numbers rather than unexpected high ones because my body fluxes up at the drop of a hat, while being pretty stubborn to drop below certain points without lots of work.)

That said, I weigh myself maybe monthly now? I’m not keeping super solid track of my weight these days, even if I’m a bit fluffier than I’d like. 

Twinsies!

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Defining said:

Their reasoning for doing it is because then you aren't waiting a long time to see if you are getting results. If your weight goes up or does not change, you can reflect on what you did the day before and think about what you did, and why it didn't work.

58 minutes ago, GeekWingChun said:

Their reasoning for doing it is because then you aren't waiting a long time to see if you are getting results. If your weight goes up or does not change, you can reflect on what you did the day before and think about what you did, and why it didn't work.

Well, that's actually a bad way to go. The only changes you're going to see on a day-to-day basis is how recently you've used the bathroom, and if you are retaining some extra water from a workout and/or food choices. That's the thing, using daily weighing doesn't properly inform what the true results are from lifestyle changes. Bi-weekly or even monthly weigh-ins would give you a more linear progress indicator. 

2 hours ago, Defining said:

Well, that's actually a bad way to go. The only changes you're going to see on a day-to-day basis is how recently you've used the bathroom, and if you are retaining some extra water from a workout and/or food choices. That's the thing, using daily weighing doesn't properly inform what the true results are from lifestyle changes. Bi-weekly or even monthly weigh-ins would give you a more linear progress indicator. 

And pictures and tape measurements once a month would be even better.

• Like 1

Gathering weight data is a perfectly valid fitness tool, at whatever time intervals it's gathered. 

So people can weigh daily, or don't.   Let's not throw shade toward those who do. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hazard said:

Gathering weight data is a perfectly valid fitness tool, at whatever time intervals it's gathered. 

So people can weigh daily, or don't.   Let's not throw shade toward those who do. 

I had meant that daily weighing doesn't give good data to make decisions with, for long-term strategies in regards to caloric intake/exercise choices. It's still an informative practice for other factors like regular fluctuations & etc., sorry, didn't mean to imply otherwise.