• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

I am having trouble with my workout. I do Goblet Squats, Pushups, Lunges, Plank, One Arm Row, and Jumping Jacks. I use dumbells for the Lunges as well. (So basically, a heavier version of the Basic Bodyweight. I tried to get a meatspace accountabilibuddy, however still no luck on the Find Your SideKick section of the forums (which also trying to find someone without NF took me 7 years now, and it is still counting). I feel like I haven't lost an inch and feel like I am slipping towards quitting completely and forgetting to exercise, just like I did for those four months.

 

My brother told me that I have to use twice my weight to gain muscle. Is that true?

 

Is there any way I can up my workout plan to get rid of my fat stomach and make me feel good that is towards the fitness body fat from NF's article? I am totally misunderstanding exercise and feel like I am doing this completely wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Weight and fat loss is  based on calories in-calories out. If you aren’t losing weight/fat and you want to, you need to look at your food intake. (There’s a few exceptions to the rule, but for the majority of the population this holds true.) And on top of this, exercise helps build muscle, but exercising doesn’t target fat stores. It’s genetics and luck that impact wher fat comes from when in caloric deficit. 

 

Also your brother is wrong. Just, so wrong. 

 

Muscles are built by repeatedly stressing them, allowing them to repair, and going at it again. If the best you could lift is a quarter your weight and you keep lifting that, you’ll get stronger and build muscle. Continued growth means that you need to keep stressing the system progressively more, but a generic “won’t gain muscle u less you lift 2x your weight” is completely bogus. 

 

Lift (relatively) heavy. Eat protein. Eat at a deficit. That’s how you’ll lose weight. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

Weight and fat loss is  based on calories in-calories out. If you aren’t losing weight/fat and you want to, you need to look at your food intake. (There’s a few exceptions to the rule, but for the majority of the population this holds true.) And on top of this, exercise helps build muscle, but exercising doesn’t target fat stores. It’s genetics and luck that impact wher fat comes from when in caloric deficit. 

 

Also your brother is wrong. Just, so wrong. 

 

Muscles are built by repeatedly stressing them, allowing them to repair, and going at it again. If the best you could lift is a quarter your weight and you keep lifting that, you’ll get stronger and build muscle. Continued growth means that you need to keep stressing the system progressively more, but a generic “won’t gain muscle u less you lift 2x your weight” is completely bogus. 

 

Lift (relatively) heavy. Eat protein. Eat at a deficit. That’s how you’ll lose weight. 

 

I am currently lifting 55lbs from the Goblet Squats, Lunges and One Arm Row. I guess I need to take out some food off my menu. In addition, I knew that it had something about my genetics. I was looking at a video on Youtube about exercising and genetics (and whatnot). I wanted to realize it wasn't true. However, I always had that bad feeling about my genetics and how I am not losing the fat.That's why I feel so down on myself because I know that there is always something wrong.

 

 

I knew that my brother wasn't right, however not ALWAYS right. I don't think he knows much about exercising. That's why I need someone who knows about exercising, disciplines himself and can be accountable for helping. However, I know that he is trying to help and I love my brother.

 

Eating a calorie deficit? How do I do that? Learning more makes me want ask more questions. Maybe I am not exercising enough or maybe I am eating too much... I'll put this on "Help Clean My Diet" section...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think RisenPhoenix was more suggesting that there's no such thing as 'spot fat loss' (ie. just losing the fat on your tummy), and that for FAT LOSS you need to focus on your diet. To BUILD MUSCLE, that's where exercise comes in - looks like you have a good starter routine, just make sure you're doing it 3-5 times a week! In terms of how much weight to lift, stick with 'whatever is difficult but safe'. Increase it as it gets easier - but ONLY increase to a weight that you can safely lift with good form. I will second the statement that your brother is wrong - you do NOT need to 'lift 2x your bodyweight' to build muscle. That's just ridiculous.

 

A 'calorie deficit' just means to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day - or rather, eat less, until you are consistently losing weight. A healthy goal would be .5-1lb/week of weight loss. A good starting point would to be using an online TDEE calculator (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - then remove 200kcal from that total. Calculate 1g per lb of bodyweight for protein (at 4kcal/g), and minimum of 0.3g fat per lb of LBM (Lean Body Mass). From there, aim for 5-8 servings of vegetables a day, and you're set!

 

EG. Person A is 180lbs, and wants to lose 30lbs of mostly fat

Their TDEE is 1,800kcal for a sedentary lifestyle - they will not be counting calories burned from exercise, which are about 200kcal 5x a week (1,000kcal)

They set a calorie deficit by aiming for a maximum of 1,600 calories a day (1,400kcal deficit a week - add in the calories burned in exercise, that that's just under 0.5lb loss a week).

 

They must eat 180g of protein a day (720kcal)

and at least 45-50g of fat a day (405-450kcal - half of which will likely come from cooking their proteins)

They eat 5 servings of unseasoned vegetables every day

From what's left of the 1,600 limit, there's probably around 400kcal allowance for carbs (or under 100g of carbs per day - for reference, 1 slice of bread is typically between 15-20g; 1c of rice or pasta is 45g)

 

Here's a decent menu generator to get you started - just make sure to double check that the macros (ie. goals of 180g protein, minimum 45g fat, and maximum 100g carb) are reasonably close: https://www.eatthismuch.com/diet-plan/1600-calorie/high-protein/

 

You don't have to be strict ALL THE TIME! Some variation is ok - give yourself permission to aim for 80-90% correct ratios, and it's ok for that other 10-20%. Have fun!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

^This

 

just imagine the Hemsworth “This” gif here. Can’t get it on my phone. 

 

You mean this?

Image result for Hemsworth “This” gif

 

14 hours ago, Defining said:

I think RisenPhoenix was more suggesting that there's no such thing as 'spot fat loss' (ie. just losing the fat on your tummy), and that for FAT LOSS you need to focus on your diet. To BUILD MUSCLE, that's where exercise comes in - looks like you have a good starter routine, just make sure you're doing it 3-5 times a week! In terms of how much weight to lift, stick with 'whatever is difficult but safe'. Increase it as it gets easier - but ONLY increase to a weight that you can safely lift with good form. I will second the statement that your brother is wrong - you do NOT need to 'list 2x your bodyweight' to build muscle. That's just ridiculous.

 

A 'calorie deficit' just means to eat fewer calories than you burn in a day - or rather, eat less, until you are consistently losing weight. A healthy goal would be .5-1lb/week of weight loss. A good starting point would to be using an online TDEE calculator (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) - then remove 200kcal from that total. Calculate 1g per lb of bodyweight for protein (at 4kcal/g), and minimum of 0.3g fat per lb of LBM (Lean Body Mass). From there, aim for 5-8 servings of vegetables a day, and you're set!

 

EG. Person A is 180lbs, and wants to lose 30lbs of mostly fat

Their TDEE is 1,800kcal for a sedentary lifestyle - they will not be counting calories burned from exercise, which are about 200kcal 5x a week (1,000kcal)

They set a calorie deficit by aiming for a maximum of 1,600 calories a day (1,400kcal deficit a week - add in the calories burned in exercise, that that's just under 0.5lg loss a week).

 

They must eat 180g of protein a day (720kcal)

and at least 45-50g of fat a day (405-450kcal - half of which will likely come from cooking their proteins)

They eat 5 servings of unseasoned vegetables every day

From what's left of the 1,600 limit, there's probably around 400kcal allowance for carbs (or under 100g of carbs per day - for reference, 1 slice of bread is typically between 15-20g; 1c of rice or pasta is 45g)

 

Here's a decent menu generator to get you started - just make sure to double check that the macros (ie. goals of 180g protein, minimum 45g fat, and maximum 100g carb) are reasonably close: https://www.eatthismuch.com/diet-plan/1600-calorie/high-protein/

 

You don't have to be strict ALL THE TIME! Some variation is ok - give yourself permission to aim for 80-90% correct ratios, and it's ok for that other 10-20%. Have fun!

 

So you want me to create an account on that website and get a meal plan based off of what I need to eat, and still don't know how many calories I am burning? that's just half the job. Also, I am trying to understand Paleo still.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, DJDragonflame said:

So you want me to create an account on that website and get a meal plan based off of what I need to eat, and still don't know how many calories I am burning? that's just half the job. Also, I am trying to understand Paleo still.

 

That's an interesting site, @Defining.  Might have to check it out for some dinner ideas.  @DJDragonflame, you just need to click the button and it'll give you things without signing up.  I just did it.

 

You're trying to lose fat - exactly how many calories you're burning isn't the important part (for now).  The important part is eating less than you're *estimated* daily expenditure, because weight loss is 80% nutrition.  You are holding a bunch of underpants while trying to find The Answer, and there isn't one.  Everyone is more or less different, there are just a few guiding principles.  TDEE estimates are just a matter of your weight, age, and general activity level.  They aren't perfect, but they are a starting point that you adjust as you see what your body does over time.

 

Also Paleo is pretty simple if you don't over think it.  Eat lots of veggies.  Eat meat for protein.  Use and eat fats within reason (no one needs 4 tablespoons of butter to cook a single serving of veggies, no one needs to eat a pound of almonds).  Avoid grains (rice, wheat, quinoa, amaranth, etc).  The main thing is not to eat the processed crap that's out there that's become the norm.  And by doing that, you inevitably have lower calorie intake, which results in weight loss.

 

Breathe.  Just breathe. Nothing is terribly difficult, and nothing is terribly panic-worthy.  It's all good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RisenPhoenix said:

That's an interesting site, @Defining.  Might have to check it out for some dinner ideas

It's pretty cool, hey? I just found it when trying to find a decent meal plan examples of a 1,600kcal high protein daily ideas.

 

@DJDragonflame I will echo Risen again: try not to make it more complicated for yourself than necessary. If you like paleo, do paleo - if it's proving to be stressful for you, try something else! None of us really know how many calories we burn, general estimates are good enough. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, DJDragonflame said:

@RisenPhoenix @Defining I am sorry. I am...having some issues, like trusting people. Please try to understand that. :frown-new:

 

Then don't trust us.  Do something instead, and see what happens.  You're sitting on a wealth of information (even if it's not perfect), and it's more productive than sitting there and not acting on it.

 

Time is a resource.  A tiny bit wasted isn't that big of a deal, but it is a finite resource and should be used well.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, RisenPhoenix said:

 

Then don't trust us.  Do something instead, and see what happens.  You're sitting on a wealth of information (even if it's not perfect), and it's more productive than sitting there and not acting on it.

 

Time is a resource.  A tiny bit wasted isn't that big of a deal, but it is a finite resource and should be used well.

 

The trust issue is really hard for me because it's been a little more than 25 years since I trusted outside people, especially in forums. I really apologize for my negative attitude I have towards you and other people.  I just have so much stuff I have to take care of. I don't know what is right or not.  :sorrow::apologetic:

 

No wonder I can't get straight answers with anyone and I am now frustrated. I just wanted substitutes other than the ones I do, and I really can't get any of them. I am just going to cancel my NF and just figure things out elsewhere.

Edited by DJDragonflame
I am leaving...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now