• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Defining

Hit me with your favourite smoothie!

Digestive flare-up, going liquid for a few weeks until things level out. I'd love to hear from you guys what your favourite smoothies look like! Bonus points for veggie additions that don't taste disgusting (I like wheatgrass & greens, which are my usual additions).

giphy.gif

I always have a smoothie on the days I hit the gym (and sometimes other days too ;)). I make pretty much the same smoothie every time because I like it so much.

Rolled oats

Whey protein powder (strawberry flavor)

Frozen banana

Ice cubes (or frozen strawberries if I'm feeling indulgent)

Milk

With the milk and all the frozen stuff you get a real thick smoothie. Almost too thick to drink through a straw. Think soft serve ice cream :D 

I have a photo of it in my battle log (see my signature). But the photo truly doesn't make it justice!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1st Favourite:

- 1% Milk

- Frozen mixed berries

- Instant oatmeal

- Vanilla protein powder

- tbsp. of peanut butter 

2nd Favourite:

- unsweetened Almond Milk

- Frozen mango pieces

- mandarin orange (segments)

- Instant oatmeal

- tbsp. of Honey

- Dash of Cayenne Pepper

Blend, consume.

• Thanks 1

No problem. I hope you enjoy them. The first one is a little to prepare first thing in the morning. I hate peeling oranges as I'm trying to get out the door quickly.

1st Favourite:

- 1% Milk, 1 cup

- Frozen mixed berries, 1 cup

- Instant oatmeal, 1/3 cup (measured before cooking)

- Vanilla protein powder, 1 scoop

- peanut butter, 1 tbsp

2nd Favourite:

- unsweetened Almond Milk, 1 cup

- Frozen mango pieces, 1/2 cup

- 1 small mandarin orange, peeled

- Instant oatmeal, 1/3 cup

- Honey, 1 tbsp

- Dash of Cayenne Pepper

Consistency is usually pretty thick for a smoothie. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Jaydub said:

Instant oatmeal

We don't have instant oatmeal, so I'll just go with regular rolled oats :)

I've been playing around with smoothies as an alternative to eating an entire cow to get my daily protein intake. This morning's concoction:

- 2 bananas

- 1 cup blueberries

- two large spoonfuls of almond butter

- quarter-cup (?) of milk

- 2 tablespoons of whey protein powder.

Blend the first three ingredients, then let settle. Add milk and pulse a few times to mix it up. In a separate glass add protein powder and pour enough of the mixture to cover. Mix it up real good. Then pour the remainder of the blended mixture into the glass. Mix it up real good. Texture-wise it came out a bit like a malt. Freezing the banana might help.

• Like 1

What's the benefit of doing it in steps like that, instead of just putting everything in the blender at once and just blend it all up?

10 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

What's the benefit of doing it in steps like that, instead of just putting everything in the blender at once and just blend it all up?

I usually mix protein powder and any nut butter if I'm using it with a touch of water in the blender first, to make sure there aren't any chunks - then add everything else and blitz. I've never mixed stuff separately before adding to a blender though, not sure, will wait to hear from Jay! :) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Defining said:

I usually mix protein powder and any nut butter

Then the (besserwisser) followup question is, why do you use nut butter? It's just expensive ground nuts :p So if you just throw regular nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc) in the blender and blend them up you basically get nut butter :D

39 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Then the (besserwisser) followup question is, why do you use nut butter? It's just expensive ground nuts :p So if you just throw regular nuts (almonds, peanuts, etc) in the blender and blend them up you basically get nut butter :D

You can definitely DIY nut butter, but I wouldn't do it in a blender as part of my morning shake - it takes way too long. If you're using a blender, you'll need to use at least a couple cups to get enough flow to get the pieces/oils emulsified properly anyway. People more commonly use a food processor. And really good nut butter typically requires a burr grinder (aka mill), not a blade grinder/chopping implement.

I want the creaminess from the nut fats, not just pieces of nuts in my smoothie, hence the butter preference. ;)

Not sure if this counts as a "smoothie," but it is a liquid super food concoction, and it's blender free! I throw this back in the mornings before gym or work usually, but it's easy enough for a quick grab-and-go throughout the day, as well (even though none of the ingredients "require" it, I would definitely suggest refrigerating it if you don't plan to drink it right away.)

BASIC:

- 1 scoop Country Farms beet root powder

* NOTE: Available at Wal-Mart, Amazon, and at other e-/retailers.

- 2 scoops sugar-free or regular Metamucil/generic equivalent

- 1 wide dash cinnamon

* NOTE: Cinnamon greatly minimizes the hyper-intensity of the beet flavor-- Don't know why, not a chemist, just know it works.

- Add water to taste (usually 12+ ounces depending on texture preference), at your desired temperature

* NOTE: Freezing cold can sometimes make powders clump, so tepid is usually what I use.

- Stir vigorously or mix well in a shaker cup

BENEFIT EXAMPLES: better blood-oxygenation (beets), hunger control and healthy fiber content (Metamucil), blood sugar control (cinnamon)

EXAMPLE ADD-INS:

* NOTE: Remember to adjust the amount of water you use depending on what you add in!

- 1 tbsp chia seeds

- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar

- dash coconut oil

- single serving of BCAA powder and/or a single serving of any other powdered supplement in a flavor that compliments this mixture's fruity taste

* NOTE: I use BPI "Best BCAA" in various flavors.

BENEFIT EXAMPLES: anti-oxidants (chia seeds), blood sugar control (apple cider vinegar), healthy fat/medium-chain triglycerides (coconut oil), branched-chain amino acid supplementation (BCAA powder)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TIPSYwithWATER (Odynne) said:

single serving of BCAA powder

BCAA has become a bit of a pet peeve of mine :) It gives you three out of the nine essential amino acids. Leucine, Isoleucine and Valine.

38700132_10216713688696676_4004414300318859264_n.thumb.jpg.661e3e303db1335e18ebd48afcc78837.jpg

More in depth: https://builtwithscience.com/bcaas-benefits/

TL;DR? BCAA can actually do more harm than good!

2 hours ago, Defining said:

but I wouldn't do it in a blender as part of my morning shake

Hehe, yeah, neither would I! I just figured it would be faster/easier/cheaper to just throw the nuts in there. You'd get all the same nutrients. But if, as you say, it improves the texture of the smoothie then I can definitely understand why you use the butter!

On 8/7/2018 at 8:48 AM, Tobbe said:

I don't like my smoothies super-frothy. Putting the protein in last helps cut down on the amount of froth generated in the blender.

• Like 1

Ohh, I actually like as much froth as possible. With all the frozen ingredients I put in my smoothie the froth freezes, and makes like a very "air-y"/soft ice cream with a lot of volume, which makes me feel fuller :)

2 hours ago, harry said:

For fun add a capsule of cayenne pepper

Thumbs Up Like the idea of a little chili to kick it up a notch! :) 

• Like 1