• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

DaemonCorax

Long hair, weird maintenance

So I've gone full desert hippie in the last year - when we go out to the desert to climb for anywhere from a weekend to a week, I french braid my hair and leave it in, untouched. It's great. Except I guess my hair likes it too much? Now most shampoos seem to make my hair greasy feeling all the way down the shaft of the hair, except a clarifying shampoo I have that kicks up so much dead skin and buildup that I have flakes the first day after I was my hair. Only the first day though. 0_o After that first day my scalp is completely clear and happy.

As I've gotten older, my hair has gotten coarser. It's thick standard light brown chest-length with little wave. I have no clue what's going on.

To not feel oily and gross I've gotten even more gun-shy about washing my hair. So now I'm rocking a three-day French or Dutch braid TO WORK. And finger brushing. And washing with shampoo like 1-2 times a week. Sometimes conditioner to de-tangle.

To be clear this is along with 90+ degree weather and 4-day-a week bike commute to work that's long enough to be soaking when I get where I'm going. The salt and sweat doesn't result in oiliness, just "volume." lol.

What are you doing? Anyone else this hands-off with their hair? Is it an "if it works go with it" deal, or am I missing something obvious?

I'd say if it works, it works. Maybe ask someone you trust to do a sniff test to make sure you're not getting more than 'volume' on your ride to work. You can also try adding a dry shampoo to your routine.

But don't feel too weird. A lot of hair does better being washed every 2-3 days, not daily. You're going a bit past that but you're not the only one out there.

12 minutes ago, Theria said:

You can also try adding a dry shampoo to your routine.

Arrowroot powder works well for a DIY dry shampoo if you want.

You can also try 'washing' with a baking soda solution for 'shampoo' and a citric acid solution for 'conditioner'. Or even just the acid rinse.

Some folks also get great results from 'washing' with rye flour: https://www.cosmopolitan.com/uk/beauty-hair/hair/how-to/a36257/rye-flour-shampoo-diy/

Finally, using a boar bristle brush can help to clean/smooth hair, and distribute sebum evenly across the entire shaft of hair. 

10 minutes ago, Defining said:

Finally, using a boar bristle brush 

...results is scary scary static out here in CO! But yeah, not a fan of my brush either. I have yet to find a non-plastic brush with bristles long enough to grab more that the top bit of hair. Is this a thing?

25 minutes ago, Theria said:

Maybe ask someone you trust to do a sniff test to make sure you're not getting more than 'volume' on your ride to work.

Well I haven't scared MFH yet and he washes his hair WAY more than I do! And when I re-braid I really go through it all with my fingers, frequently with my head upside down.

6 minutes ago, DaemonCorax said:

...results is scary scary static out here in CO! But yeah, not a fan of my brush either. I have yet to find a non-plastic brush with bristles long enough to grab more that the top bit of hair. Is this a thing?

Yup, you are trying to brush it like you would with a pin brush - totally different technique. This isn't to get rid of tangles, it's to smooth your hair. Only take an inch at a time, run the brush through several times. Good activity while watching TV, it takes a while.

2 minutes ago, Defining said:

totally different technique

Oh boy. I'm in over my head. Also there's no chance I'll ever have the patience for that. 0_o. I'm one of those "all the colors of laundry in one load" people.

• Haha 1

It's totally okay, even encouraged, to not wash your hair very often. It's healthier for the hair, which has it's own natural mechanics that washing with shampoo often strips it of. Unless you're rolling around in dirt or live in an extremely polluted urban setting or something, it's not likely your hair is getting all that dirty daily. Basically, wash when your hair seems dirty or starts to smell funky, and do you, boo. 

No idea about growth. My general hair length is below my shoulders, getting chopped before my elbows. Usually with the kitchen scissors.

As for greasiness: 4-ish days if I leave it alone, shorter if I have my hands in it a lot, longer if I'm not sweating in a bike helmet.

I have wavy, super thick hair that I grow out to donate (about 1/2 way down my back) then cut to chin length. At the longest I can go a week between washing. At the shortest I have to wash it every other day. It is better for your hair to not wash it every day. I recently started going to a new salon and the two stylists I've worked with were visibly relieved and pleased when I said I washed it about twice a week.

On 7/11/2018 at 5:22 PM, DaemonCorax said:

This is the brush I use. No plastic and nice long bristles