Every day is a battle (lots of photos)

Day 53

Monday, 3/9

Food Log

Breakfast - 08:45

20180903_083656.jpg.81a94ba7419535266e4e337283781db9.jpg

20180903_085924.jpg.95a79a492223e22d4f4abf6f4e2c400b.jpg

Quark, kefir, strawberries and müsli

They sold the müsli really cheap because the box was all broken. Says "no added sugar" right in the center. Sure. No refined white sugar. But they have dates, pineapple, inulin etc so it's plenty sweet without it... But it tasted good. I think it will be even better with plain sour milk/long milk though, so will try that sometime. (My wife liked it with plain yogurt)

Lunch - 13:30

20180903_132451.jpg.b3a8f64fa541ae21ecedfa5fd04d2d3d.jpg

Second half of the toast from yesterday. A bowl of salad on the side. And a dressing with lemon, apple cider vinegar and dijon mustard.

It was all very good :) Very convenient with leftovers :) 

(Sorry about the messy plate...)

Dinner - 19:45

20180903_194209.jpg.6e9e9c25dbbc1f66b3fe059a44cfcf76.jpg

Vegan peanut and lentil patties with sweet potato fries and a salad

Served it with some sugar free sweet chili sauce, sriracha and a peanut butter sauce I made with quark, PB2 and water. It was all very good, but way too much work. Will not make again.

Fitness Log

Morning walk

image.png.84a411b18d7294ed30a14737440be87f.png

Workout

NF Bodyweight workout 3A today, for the second time. I like the band pull-aparts. Felt like I really connected with the muscles in my upper back :) 

10 step-ups per leg

10 push-ups

10 pull-aparts

Repeat four times

Side planks 60 sec each side, times two

• Like 1

We have rings in the boulder hall, maybe you have some in the gym?

How much is it with this discount?

1 hour ago, Arkania said:

We have rings in the boulder hall, maybe you have some in the gym?

We don't. Plus I'm thinking of not renewing my membership at the gym since I'm doing the NF Bodyweight workouts now :) 

1 hour ago, Arkania said:

How much is it with this discount?

Usually the rings program and the handstand program are $100 each. Now you get them both for that price. (But you have to buy both, can't buy just one for $50)

8 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

The run from $35 to $100 it seems... Any advice on what to look for? Material? Diameter? Thickness? 

I'd probably be hanging them from my pull-up bar. What would you say is the minimum distance from the floor to hang them?

These are the ones I bought. One of the best things about them is their straps. They have marked distances on them, so it is easy to make sure you hang them so they are at the same height .https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LLZ764A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As far as the minimum distance, it depends on your height, and what you want to do. For dips, muscle ups,L-sit, top position and a few other things , lower is fine. My indoor rings that hang from my pull up bar aren't really high enough for me to do inverted hangs, skin the cats  or pull ups.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

Day 54

Tuesday, 4/9

Food Log

Breakfast - 09:15

20180904_091439.jpg.9b9dddf4fef966d8ceb7cda6d2f3b3d2.jpg

Quark, kefir, chopped up frozen strawberries, almonds and brazil nuts

Lunch - 14:30

20180904_143820.jpg.8a9c387f4c7975c8477cfa57adebdfe6.jpg

Omelet with ham and jalapeño tube cheese. Mixed salad with pickled jalapeño. A drizzle of sriracha on top of everything.

I got impatient and tried to fold over the omelet too early, so it broke a bit. But it was still delicious! :) 

Dinner - 19:00

20180904_190728.jpg.1d8d987eca75e6574703ca2bba61755a.jpg

A bunch of leftovers :) A peanut patty from yesterday's dinner. Some cooked lentils that I didn't need when cooking the patties. The rest of the salad from today's lunch. And I made some new peanut sauce (Used Greek fat free yogurt, PB2 and water. The Greek yogurt is better than the quark I used yesterday, but I forgot I had it...)

20180904_191301.jpg.a3035febc6da539d2df660126929a246.jpg

Then I mixed it all up in the salad bowl and wolfed it all down! Yummy!

Fitness Log

Morning walk

image.png.1ccbd327a7751d221e8d2bbac9c9b3ed.png

Workout

Rest day today

Completed Quests

Nutrition: Determine Portion Sizes 100 XP

For this quest you are supposed to measure and weigh your food for three days. I did that end of last week when I counted calories. Just forgot to check it off...

Sleep under the stars overnight 25 XP

This is something I've been wanting to do for so long, but never actually did. Until now! Packed a sleeping mat and a sleeping bag yesterday evening and went on a short hike to a nice place in the woods to sleep for the night. It was awesome! :D Will definitely do again!

20180904_001954.jpg.1243ebc47654adb48b4dbd4ca831d7cd.jpg

Camp for the night

20180904_002934.jpg.a32cb631c0c9f919c25afe5266744112.jpg

It was a bit cloudy, but I could see a few stars. It's also pretty difficult to take good photos of stars, especially with just a cellphone camera!

20180904_070216.jpg.c59ad397bf99baa94fad2ccb2fee75fb.jpg

20180904_070216_wet.jpg.0202b4da875c2a0a422277923a38ff26.jpg

I set the alarm at 07:00 just to be safe, but never thought I'd sleep that long. I was sure I'd wake up cold and stiff as soon as the complete darkness started to disappear. Boy was I wrong. Slept like a baby right up until the alarm rang! Some night-dew on the sleeping bag, but nothing got through. I was dry and warm when I woke up :) 

20180904_071653.jpg.b90235693f1b25928affab1133844e6d.jpg

A bit grey and dull, but still super awesome to wake up to this! :D 

Miscellaneous

Continued working on my plyo-box with the boys today

20180904_184536.jpg.fe9a1eae90f2b19f62ccacfd13b2bf20.jpg

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

These are the ones I bought. One of the best things about them is their straps. They have marked distances on them, so it is easy to make sure you hang them so they are at the same height .https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LLZ764A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks for the link. The price looked great, until reading this "+ $42.87 Shipping & Import Fees Deposit to Sweden". Ouch!

But, thanks again, now I know what to look for locally if I ever decide to buy rings.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

As far as the minimum distance, it depends on your height, and what you want to do. For dips, muscle ups,L-sit, top position and a few other things , lower is fine. My indoor rings that hang from my pull up bar aren't really high enough for me to do inverted hangs, skin the cats  or pull ups.

I realize now that the limited space provided in a doorway really does stop you from doing a lot of the exercises. Both because of vertical limitations, but also horizontal limitations in any exercise where you want to spread your arms just a little bit...

I think I'll have to take a pass on this for now, until I find a better place to hang the rings. Can't really think of anywhere outdoors that would give me more clearance either. Especially if I want it to be even the slightest protected from rain.

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

I realize now that the limited space provided in a doorway really does stop you from doing a lot of the exercises. Both because of vertical limitations, but also horizontal limitations in any exercise where you want to spread your arms just a little bit...

It is possible to do a lot of the exercises indoors, but you are right it feels very limiting. I just bought the rings/ handstand pack. I haven't looked through it all yet, but the exercises they work on are the muscle up. L-sit, and the front lever. Both the muscle up and the L-sit are ones I've practiced on in my doorway set up. Not sure on the lever. It seems like  it would work, but I'm not sure

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27

I would love to reply my answer I wrote several minutes ago but then I am get the notification that I am blocked...?

• Like 1

Test:

Nice looking box and I love how you hiked into the woods to sleep outside <3

I found that out too, that sleeping outside is better for my sleep.

For that I like camping. 

At the festival this year in July it was not that good, because we went to "bed" in the early mornings (like 5 or 6) and from 9 on it was sooo hot in the tent.

And there were no shadows (trees or someting like that). But for the next festival we will be better prepared.

Food looks awesome as always :)

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

It is possible to do a lot of the exercises indoors, but you are right it feels very limiting. I just bought the rings/ handstand pack. I haven't looked through it all yet, but the exercises they work on are the muscle up. L-sit, and the front lever. Both the muscle up and the L-sit are ones I've practiced on in my doorway set up. Not sure on the lever. It seems like  it would work, but I'm not sure

Wow! You actually bought it! That's so cool! :) Thanks a lot for the insight. Sounds like it might actually be worth it after all... I'm really on the fence here!

Found this:

Basic Space Recommendations

The exact measurements will be different for every person depending on height, but the space measurements that work for most people are as follows:

Giving yourself about 2.75-3.75 meters (~9-12 feet) of height will work for most everyone. You can go a little lower if you’re just working on below the rings exercises, a bit higher if you are working on full inversions.

About 1.5 meters (~5 feet) of width around you is best. You’ll want to hang the actual rings at shoulder width or a little wider

https://gmb.io/hanging-gymnastic-rings/

I have nowhere close to that space available :( Oh well...

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, Arkania said:

I would love to reply my answer I wrote several minutes ago but then I am get the notification that I am blocked...?

26 minutes ago, Arkania said:

Test:

Nice looking box and I love how you hiked into the woods to sleep outside <3

I found that out too, that sleeping outside is better for my sleep.

For that I like camping. 

At the festival this year in July it was not that good, because we went to "bed" in the early mornings (like 5 or 6) and from 9 on it was sooo hot in the tent.

And there were no shadows (trees or someting like that). But for the next festival we will be better prepared.

Food looks awesome as always :)

Was this "Test:" message the one that got blocked at first?

I've slept many nights in a tent. I've also spent a fair amount of nights in "Adirondack lean-to"s (as they are apparently called in English). We just call them "wind shelters"...

220px-Adirondack_Lean-to.jpg

I much prefer the shelters. More fresh air, no pitching/tearing down, and they don't get as hot as tents do in the sun.

But I had never before slept just under the stars as I did this night! I can really recommend it :) So easy, and so good for body and mind!

What festival did you go to? I've never been to a multi-day festival. But that's also something I would like to do some day!

7 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Was this "Test:" message the one that got blocked at first?

Yes, I changed some words and then it worked. But can't remember which :D

What festival did you go to? I've never been to a multi-day festival. But that's also something I would like to do some day!

Fusion Festival in the middle of nowhere in Germany. Most electronic music and it's very ... hm... alternative?

I like the flair and feeling there :wub:

It's in July normally.

I could sleep on the balcony or even on the terrace but that's not the same.  I will check, if we have such shelters here.

I know that there are these shelters or cabins near hiking trails but I don't know, if we have sth like this nearby.

42 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

Found this:

Basic Space Recommendations

The exact measurements will be different for every person depending on height, but the space measurements that work for most people are as follows:

Giving yourself about 2.75-3.75 meters (~9-12 feet) of height will work for most everyone. You can go a little lower if you’re just working on below the rings exercises, a bit higher if you are working on full inversions.

About 1.5 meters (~5 feet) of width around you is best. You’ll want to hang the actual rings at shoulder width or a little wider

https://gmb.io/hanging-gymnastic-rings/

I have nowhere close to that space available :( Oh well...

Too bad. But I had forgotten that GMB had that article, so thanks for finding it. I'm sure other people will ask about it since NF is having that sale

43 minutes ago, Arkania said:

Fusion Festival in the middle of nowhere in Germany. Most electronic music and it's very ... hm... alternative?

Sounds great! I'll have to look it up! We used to have a festival like that ("Arvikafestivalen"), but they canceled it before I had a chance to go :sorrow:

43 minutes ago, Arkania said:

I know that there are these shelters or cabins near hiking trails

Yeah, that's where they usually are. Lucky for me I live right next to a trail like that, and about 1.5 - 2 km from here there is a shelter just like that!

Come visit and we can spend a night there! I'll bring my oldest boy again, he loved it last time we slept there! :) 

25 minutes ago, Elastigirl said:

But I had forgotten that GMB had that article, so thanks for finding it.

No problem :) Happy to help! 

They also (as you already know) have a lot of other great articles. Which kind of makes me question how much extra value I'd really get out of the NF courses.

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, Tobbe said:

No problem :) Happy to help! 

They also (as you already know) have a lot of other great articles. Which kind of makes me question how much extra value I'd really get out of the NF courses.

Agreed, GMB is amazing. I've used their free articles as resources. Used several of their paid programs (and loved them) Just finished Rings 1. I decided to get the NF rings/ handstand combination because I liked their set up for learning one skill and doing it by levels, plus I just wanted to support NF, because I  have gotten so much out of these forums.

Day 55

Wednesday, 5/9

Food Log

Breakfast - 08:30

20180905_082300.jpg.c933fd02585cee7daac1e24474fb4b48.jpg

Long milk/sour milk with the müsli I tried the other day. 

It tasted great with just that milk, as I guessed! In fact, it was so good I had another serving right after finishing that one! (Half the size of the one on the photo.)

20180905_190905.jpg.d68616146f90ec5b7632ca53f6807198.jpg

White lentil risotto with caramelized mushrooms, roasted broccoli and salad

This was really good! Took forever to cook, but it was nothing difficult. Personally I found it worth the time investment, but no one else liked it, so will probably not get a chance to cook it again...

And yeah, no lunch today... Read my challenge thread to find out why ;) 

Fitness Log

Morning walk

image.png.48910cafdd6bcecae5d6903589eded16.png

20180905_061236.jpg.a5d93f0fea8d27b398bd4c27383b3682.jpg 

Winter is coming! 

Yeah, maybe not yet, but it definitely felt a little chilly on my morning walk today!

Workout

NF Bodyweight Workout 3B

One Leg Romanian Deadlifts x 10 (per leg)
Inch Worm x 5
Assisted Chin Up x 5

Repeated 5 times

60 sec farmers walk with two 6 kg dumbbells

Repeated 2 times

Really like the one leg deadlifts! Want to try them with some light dumbbells in my hands next time I do them

Day 56

Thursday, 6/9

Food Log

Lunch - 13:45

20180906_134708.jpg.1fa061779270f6a116ab34574d49c49a.jpg

Mushroom omelet with veggies on the side

The photo really does not make that omelet justice! It was a huge omelet. I had to fold it twice just to be able to lift it! And you can't even see the crispy, caramelized, delicious mushrooms that I folded in to that omelet :( So you're just going to have to trust me that it was awesome! :) 

20180906_190520.jpg.48742ae7a234d055277a6d0702ade5e7.jpg

20180906_190406.jpg.3a167143830f6b6c726bfcefdff93989.jpg

Lentil bolognese on a bed of zoodles. Stir fried cabbage and mini plum tomatoes on the side.

Finally a vegetarian dish even the kids approved of! Quick and easy to make too! So this is one I'll probably make again. (They had theirs with regular white refined wheat pasta. Baby steps! Next time maybe I can serve it with whole wheat pasta for them instead :)) 

The only problem is the lack of protein. All vegetarians are like "there's so much protein in beans and lentils!". No there isn't. That entire plate right there is like 5 g protein in total. That's nothing!

Fitness Log

Morning walk

775770050_Screenshot_20180906-210245_SportsTracker.jpg.192be5a045c3f1a3a7cb19535edb894e.jpg

Miscellaneous 

Overslept today. Didn't wake up until 9 am. Slowly dragged myself out of bed. Argued with my wife. Went on morning walk. Home at 9:50. Really needed to get going with work! Not the best start of a day... But a great excuse to skip breakfast. So I only had lunch and dinner today. I'm curious to see what the scale says about that tomorrow!