Former Marathoner Pursuing Adventure

I say "former" because while I will always have 4 marathons (and 24 half marathons) under my belt, I've lost the motivation and drive I once did. I could also call myself a "former ab-haver" because I calorie counted and trained my way down to a low enough body fat for visible abs. In the process I also worked my way toward anemia and a severely disordered view of my body. I dropped 15 pounds before the scale refused to budge more. I didn't enjoy the abs because I was too busy focused on my thunder thighs.

I gave up on tracking my food, gained my weight back (and then some of course). I also got burnt out on running. The finish line was my focus. When I achieved it all that remained was a sense of "now what?"

My husband and I have been married for almost a decade. We live near the Great Smoky Mountains National Park and love to hike its trails. We also love travel and active vacations. My ultimate goal (or my big why) is for us to grow old together, but not stop having adventures together. Biking Paris, kayaking in Maui - these are memories we've made together, and I want our health to allow for many more similar experiences.

• Like 1