Pavel Tsatsouline Useful?

A friend of mine recommended Pavel Tsatsouline books and work out routines and I was wondering in anyone in the rebellion has used them and what they thought. Any comments are welcome.

If you haven’t read them yet, there’s a lot of hyperbole and machismo to get past.

I’ve read Enter the Kettlebell and Simple & Sinister. I’ve done the S&S workout. It’s a good one if you want a simple daily routine that’ll get you stronger and fitter.

There are more efficient ways to get stronger and to get fitter, but this does both at the same time reasonably well.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

Depends.

I've read a lot of his books and not all of them have worked out for me. The man seems to have a book for every single thing, but TBF they don't always work for everyone. I haven't got a lot of long term use out of his mobility program, his abs program, or even The Naked Warrior, which I'm sure is going to get me in trouble with someone somewhere.

But that being said, one that's definitely worked out for me is Simple and Sinister. Having achieved the Simple requirements and getting ready to move on to the halfway between Simple and Sinister, I can definitely say that nothing else has come even close in terms of giving me real world strength and conditioning that I can use whether I'm moving a couch or moving a person. It's taught me a lot about whole body tension and how to plug up leaks in my body where I might be slack and get myself hurt. And not only that, but it's taught me how to do so in a variety of different positions, as opposed to just squatting or benching. It fits into my life really well, and I heartily recommend it to just about every single person I talk to.

Mind, of course, that you have to actually like what you're doing in order to get any good from it, and it can be pretty monotonous. It also won't get you ripped or swole. However, the program's requirements are relatively small compared to most, and it's designed such that it can be slotted in to just about any kind of workout program you wish. There's no reason you couldn't do this alongside a Crossfit program or alongside yoga or a barbell program or a calisthenic program (as I do).

So, yeah. Just my 0.02.

• Like 1