Back with a new name

I was fairly active here on NF a few years ago, going by the name JMitch. Now I've decided to start over with my preferred name, Jett. I also recently joined the Academy, so I am trying to follow the quests for that and connect with people on the LGBT+ Nerd Fitness facebook group.

I lost a small amount of weight and gained some strength the last time I was consistent on NF, but I didn't see enough progress to keep momentum. It started to feel like a slog with no results, and I eventually fell off the bandwagon. Now I've gained back the weight I lost, plus a few extra pounds, and I haven't lifted a weight in a few years, but I'm sure most of the strength I'd built is gone. It feels like starting from square -1.

The problem, for me, has always been motivation. I've searched for and formulated "Whys" in the past, but this time it's a bit simpler. My wife really wants to lose weight, and it's impacting her mental health. I want to support her, and one way to do that is to try to change how I'm living my life to be a better example of a lifestyle that leads to health and weightloss. Or, to put it another way, your body adapts to best suit the life you lead. And your spouse's lifestyle has an impact on your own. So I am trying to help her get the body she wants by changing our lifestyle to one where that body is needed.

To be perfectly honest, I'm not feeling all that enthusiastic. I'm not riding some kind of life-changing high. I'm just doing this because it needs to be done. And that's one thing that has changed about me since the last time I was on NF: I have gotten better at being responsible. I do the things that need to be done, even when I don't feel motivated to do them.

Maybe that will make the difference this time.

• Like 1