• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

sbacon82

Smith Machines - yay or nay?

Hi all, I am new here and I have a quick question:

I don’t have a ton of friends (lol) the ones I do have...well...I don’t have a ton of friends. 

I really want to focus on free weights and power lifting. I feel like a smith machine (to some extent) would increase the safety factor of that and I would be more comfortable lifting outside of my comfort zone to PR. In general though, do you lose a step in core strength and stability using a smith machine over strictly free weights?

The main problem with the smith machine is that it foces a straight bar path in   specific plane, which you don't really want for the big exercises. It shouldn't be used as your main squat or bench press workout. It does have its uses though for some accessory workouts though where you're looking to dump a ton of volume on a movement and want to go near failure.

If you want to focus on freeweights and powerlifting, start light and work your way up. Ask people to spot you when you're going to go near failure. Proper trianing however means you're leaving a rep or two in the tank for most sets though and dont' need a spotter.

On 7/17/2018 at 6:47 PM, sbacon82 said:

In general though, do you lose a step in core strength and stability using a smith machine over strictly free weights?

What Gainsdalf said, and to answer above - Yes. Not just core but other smaller stabilizing muscles as well.

On 7/17/2018 at 5:47 PM, sbacon82 said:

I really want to focus on free weights and power lifting. I feel like a smith machine (to some extent) would increase the safety factor of that

I have always felt the opposite. The Smith machines doesn't have the built in safety pins that a real power rack does, at least not the ones I've come across.

They're great for inverted row though.

To me, I would avoid the smith machine--as I personally do not think it is safer.

Now, more to the point,

The best way to stay safe using free weight and power-lifting is to first and foremost,

Learn to do the exercises the right way, the first time--then and only then--should you worry about using tons of weight, etc.

Once you have leaned the moves, warm up with an empty bar--for the bench--and only increase the weight you can use, when you can do all your reps

In perfect form, without needing every bit of energy you have to do them.

Hope this Helps.