It has recently come to my attention, that my mirror (potentially all the mirrors) in my house is broken or has otherwise become a portal to an alternate dimension. I recently recall looking at it and seeing a semi-in-shape 20 something that, while he may have been a bit scrawny, still looked healthy and ready to spring into action at the first mention of adventure.  Well, now it only shows me this 35 year old guy with a little extra jiggle, that creaks and pops when he moves.  You see the problem?

In all seriousness, a couple months ago I came to the decision that I truly wanted to take control of my body back. I want to be happy with who I am physically and mentally.  I think it is entirely possible and I don't believe for a second that it is too late in life for me to be anything from a marathon runner, to a powerlifter, to a space cowboy (ok, maybe that). 

Here are my fitness goals:

• Short term: Shed 10-15lbs by my next birthday (9/5)
    • Long term: 10-15% body fat
  • Short term: Reduce the risk of injury
    • Long Term: Increase flexibility and range of motion by at least 50%
  • Short term: Be able to comfortably run 1 mile
    • Longer term: Run in a 5k for charity (it will never go further than this, I hate running, I don't want to be a runner...but I don't want to not be able to either lol)
  • Short term: Focus on powerlifting with big compound movements (deadlift, squat etc) to start reshaping and redefining my body
    • Long term: make a respectable showing in a power lifting competition before my 40th birthday
  • Short term shallow: Be comfortable and confident with my shirt off at the pool, beach, on the boat 
    • Long term shallow: just pretty much look ripped lol
      • A disclaimer about the shallow goals.  I have always been scrawny or average.  I don't want that anymore.  This goal is 100% about appearance and 100% because I want it.

Game Plan

• Focus on power lifting workouts
  • Follow the NF Flexibility Challenge
  • Clean Eating leaning towards the paleo side of things
  • Simple Protein Shake being the only supplement
  • Cardio only twice per week

I want to shed the flub quick first, because there is just a little more extra than I am comfortable with and then build from there.

Other things you may (or may not) find interesting about me:

• I have a black belt in Shotokan Karate and extensive training in Kali
  • I am a "maker"...I love to create things in the following ways
    • I am an amateur blacksmith
    • I am a woodworker
    • I dabble in electronics
    • I play with prop-making
    • I love to upcycle things
    • AND I recently started a ministry at my church focusing on teaching others to do the same!
  • I am very happily married with three amazing kiddos that run me absolutely ragged
  • Anime nerd
  • I still play with toys and have a box of them hidden in my shop strictly to fidget with when I am planning a project (old school yo-yos and tops etc etc)

So I suppose that's enough of an introduction, I hope to learn a ton and forge some relationships here.  It seems like an amazing community!

• Like 1

Welcome to NF.

35 is young enough to do whatever you want.

I like the idea of Kali, but I’ve never figured out how to carve time to try it. I also like blacksmithing and have a propane forge, but I haven’t figured out how to make time for it. Don’t be like me ;)@Jakkals is a blacksmith and a bladesmith.

Good luck with your goals.

“We might as well start where we are, use what we have and do what we can." – Caitlin Rivers

Sloth: The Man with the Hammer battle log

I had the same problem with my mirror a few years ago, and that's why I joined NF. That's great that you make so many things, and are now teaching others.

Wisdom 22.5   Dexterity 13   Charisma 15   Strength 21  Constitution-13

"Love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your strength, and with all your mind' Luke 10; 27