Cardio After PCL Surgery

I'm going to be having PCL reconstruction surgery in a couple weeks (August 13th). I want to stay relatively active and not gain weight because I was trying to lose weight prior to my surgery. I don't want to get any fatter, so I'd like some suggestions on maintaining or even losing weight while recovering/rehabbing from the surgery.  

Battle Log |Current Challenge: Better Late Than Never| Previous Challenges: 1 | 

instagram: @gambitbjj | Winner of the Harry Potter PVP Challenge: House Ravenclaw

Watch your diet.

Seriously.  That's it.  That's all you can really do.

Knee surgery means you aren't going to be very mobile, and they give you VERY specific post-surgery instructions about what you can and cannot do during recovery.  You need to do the PT, religiously.  Don't worry about weight, worry about recovery.  Just watch keep the diet stable and healthy, and avoid the mindless snacking.

(My girlfriend got ACL repair surgery in May.  More severe of a surgery, but they laid out exactly what she could and could not do.  She didn't do the PT and it set her recovery back.  She didn't watch what she ate, and now is complaining about gaining a bunch of weight back.  She blames it on the lack of activity, but I know her diet - it sucks.  That's the thing to watch.)

• Sad 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School

The only responsible answer here is to ask your doctor, and if they refer you to a rehab physio, ask the physio.

There have been some interesting studies on leucine supplementation to help promote speedier healing, but honestly that's in very early stages and still quite experimental. It's unlikely to cause any problems though, so up to you if it's worth looking at.

You could also consider setting up a reading list, collecting podcasts, and/or finding a new craft/hobby to help keep your brain engaged during recovery and prevent boredom (which often leads to eating for the sake of something to do).

But yeah: what Risen said. Eat well, focus on vegetables and protein. Do your rehab work often, and as instructed. And that's about it. 

...but I'm adorable! Ask anyone who doesn't know me...

Thanks for the advice. I should know the responsible answer.  I guess from my standpoint I'm blind with wanting to be able to get back to it. I'll probably just get online courses out of the way and play a ton of D&D on roll20.

Battle Log |Current Challenge: Better Late Than Never| Previous Challenges: 1 | 

instagram: @gambitbjj | Winner of the Harry Potter PVP Challenge: House Ravenclaw

20 hours ago, leglocker said:

Thanks for the advice. I should know the responsible answer.  I guess from my standpoint I'm blind with wanting to be able to get back to it. I'll probably just get online courses out of the way and play a ton of D&D on roll20.

Trust me, I get it.  When I'm out with a minor injury I go crazy, and my girlfriend is going stir crazy feeling like she isn't moving enough while she's still recovering from her ACL repair.  But the only thing is breathing, patience, and watching what you eat.

• Sad 1

RisenPhoenix, the Entish Aikidoka

Challenge: RisenPhoenix Turns to Ash

"The essence of koryu [...is] you offer your loyalty to something that you choose to regard as greater than yourself so that you will, someday, be able to offer service to something that truly is transcendent." ~ Ellis Amdur, Old School