• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Snawesome

Gymnast rings - Holds are causing hand pain.

I've been training on rings for two or three weeks. A few times a week I do static holds in the top position for sets of usually thirty seconds (max). The problem is, my palms hurt and I stop the hold prior to muscle fatigue. It's not joint pain, just pain from supporting my body weight on two small surfaces. Is this something that fades over time, could my hand position be wrong? Is it a curse with plastic rings? Thanks in advance!

I have plastic rings too, I doubt it would be dirrerent on wood rings though. I think it is just a matter of your hands not being used to it. It has gotten easier over time, but I can still feel it. Getting some beautiful callouses on my hands too.:friendly_wink: If you  are doing something like top position, and your hands are tired , but the rest of your body is fine, put your feet down, and use your toes to support you. That will take some pressure off your palms.

• Like 1

If the hand is the limiter, I'd scale it both down and up. Try ring planks for longer sets, and L-sit variations in support for shorter sets.

The plastic rings I had were thick and easier on the hands, but the wooden ones feel much better for hanging.

• Like 1

You can also use padding (pool noodles are cheap/easy) if it's just a matter of your hands hurting, though that can make it harder. I can totally relate, mine used to actually swell up a little after working out with DB/BB for a few hours afterwards, until I started to use gloves/padding.

Another good tip would be to work on forearm and wrist strength, which can sometimes cause hand pain. And to experiment with different (SAFE!) grips. 

• Like 1

This is a great for body awareness. I have experienced similar pain when I first started utilizing rings. Not to worry though, your hands are looking to acclimate to being able to manipulate leverage while having the Central point of force applied on the palms. Hand and wrist preparation is going to be your best friend in order to eliminate the pain. After a week or two your hands should feel stronger than ever.