Let me introduce myself & some of the things I won't let stop me

Hello, rebels! You can call me Erlys. (I've named myself #onhere after an old D&D character, who I then converted into a Dragon Age Inquisitor. It seemed appropriately nerdy. :) )

I've had a yo-yo relationship with fitness for my whole life. I love being an active athlete (favourites include rock climbing, running in the woods, and martial arts), but I suffer from chronic anxiety and depression. Whenever my mental health issues start to flare up, exercise is the first thing to go. In the past, I've been able to get back into it after riding the flareup out, but now I've found myself in a bit of a pickle and am working my way back up from level 0.

A couple handful not-inconsiderable number of years ago, I was running three times a week and climbing twice a week. I was the fittest I've ever been. Then, in a fit of excellent judgement, I decided to go to law school. Long story short, legal practice and study was terrible for my mental health and I had to retire early due to worsening anxiety and newly-developed, stress-triggered IBS-D. I'm now working as a software developer, finishing a second degree in Computer Science part-time. 

I'm currently 31 years old, 5 foot 5, 240lbs, and in need of surgery before I'm in shape to do high-impact activities like running once again. My surgeon wants my weight to come down to 215lbs before he books the surgery, and my next appointment is in December. This makes weight loss my immediate goal. (And hey, I'm down from 253lbs in early June, when I received my doctor's orders! That's just through going onto a very restrictive diet to help manage the IBS, which means I've basically already been eating almost-Paleo for two months. It turns out that losing weight is a lot easier for me when ice cream is medically off-limits -- kryptonite identified!) 

My broader goal, though, is really to get back into shape. I miss trail running and climbing, and, although I know I'm not yet in a position to start training for them directly again, I'm taking this opportunity to get started on bodyweight training so that I'll have a solid base of fitness when I get there. Right now I'm three sessions in to working on the NF Beginner Bodyweight Workout and planning for my first challenge. After levelling up, I'm expecting to train with the Assassins mostly, although I'll definitely "multiclass" with the Monks and Druids! (Meditation is a passion of mine, and I've liked yoga when I've tried it but can't seem to fit it in these days.) You rebels are so inspiring that I'm even daring to dream of becoming a parkour traceur.

Nerd-wise, I love (and write) SFF fiction, play tabletop* and computer RPGs**, make art languages for fun, and am really, really into fibre crafts. (Think knitting, hand-spinning, weaving, etc.) With my now-wife, I ran a student-led seminar about comic books in undergrad, and indeed I am still proud of that. (AMA about Transmetropolitan!) 

Thanks for reading my intro, and I look forward to seeing you around the forums. I'm really excited to uncover my N7 self. Vive la rébellion!

*Mostly World of Darkness. (RIP White Wolf.) 
**Massive Bioware fan, right here. I even liked the end of ME3. 

• Like 1