• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hey guys!  Just wanted to reach out for your thoughts, again!  I'm starting classes in the Fall, and while I've been in school for several years now so I know to balance that first. I'm not really a social creature, so I've already been dedicating my evenings to lifting and running. Now, I want to get back into combat sports. Specifically, I want to join our school's boxing and brazilian jiu-jitsu clubs.  I have some previous experience in karate, kickboxing, and western boxing. Boxing meets 5 times a week and BJJ meets 3 times. Brand new to BJJ and have trained western boxing for roughly a year before my break. I'd say I have a good foundation for strength and conditioning balance on my own.  Assuming there's no right answer since everyone progresses differently, how often would *you* say to train both?

Edit: I found a sample schedule for the boxing club's peak season training where for their competing athletes, so I can see just how much their athletes train (boxing 4x/week, interval runs 2x/week, burnouts after practice 2x/week, plyos/stregth/bodyweight strength 4x/week). Both clubs condition their recreational and competitive athletes after practice with strength or conditioning and seem like solid organizations.

All thoughts, criticism, concerns, question are greatly appreciated and will be heard. :)

• Like 1

@Machete, definitely something I'm considering. I will say that there's no way I could be in two places at once.   BJJ seems to meet during the same time frame as Boxing, so there is that limitation too.

• Like 1

Personally, I would do 2 classes of boxing and 2 classes of BJJ. Or if you can get away with it, 3 and 3. Because I am OCD about balance like that. :-) I am pretty sure that by the time you got to 4, their classes are scheduled at the same time so that would not be possible for you.

1 hour ago, GeekWingChun said:

Personally, I would do 2 classes of boxing and 2 classes of BJJ. Or if you can get away with it, 3 and 3. Because I am OCD about balance like that. :-) I am pretty sure that by the time you got to 4, their classes are scheduled at the same time so that would not be possible for you.

2 and 2 is possible. 3 and 3 for absolutely the reasons you just described. Lol, I appreciate your perspective on how you'd do it though! I definitely have also felt like I have the time and the energy to train several days a week and sometimes twice a day couple with a jog or weights or something. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Valette said:

2 and 2 is possible. 3 and 3 for absolutely the reasons you just described. Lol, I appreciate your perspective on how you'd do it though! I definitely have also felt like I have the time and the energy to train several days a week and sometimes twice a day couple with a jog or weights or something. 

Sounds like a plan. If you do manage to take both, I would like to hear an update after you have gone for a month or two.

The reason I suggest trying to work in both is because you would then be studying how to fight at two different ranges: Punching and Grappling. That's pretty decent training right there.

1 hour ago, GeekWingChun said:

Sounds like a plan. If you do manage to take both, I would like to hear an update after you have gone for a month or two.

The reason I suggest trying to work in both is because you would then be studying how to fight at two different ranges: Punching and Grappling. That's pretty decent training right there.

That's also sound logic.  Keep in touch. I'll post a lot about it in my battle log, and I'll definitely answer any questions/address suggestions. So, that's actually perfect because a lot of the boxing sessions are apparently locked for newbies, so I'd only be able to attend two of them in my first semester which is fine for a newbie. So, I'll definitely use my first semester to see where I'll go next year with it.

• Like 1

are you into the combat sport for the "combat" or the "sport"?

i have done both boxing and bjj (and am still sticking with the latter, so that's a disclaimer). both are great ways to get yourself really fit, strong and are tools that can be used in a self-defence situation. Although arguably, I think what's the far more important parts of self defence is learning to 1) be aware of your surroundings and not get into tough situations to start with... keep off the mobile phone, etc. and 2) having a really good 100 yard dash.

community-wise, my experience with both sports were positive. People who are drawn to boxing tend to be a bit more intense perhaps, while BJJ people are more geekish (not in a bad way). 

just do either or both, whatever fits your schedule best that you don't have to bend your life around it, that's possibly the best way of doing it!