• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Echoceanic

Echo level up: The Chase Challenge

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Good job getting it mostly set up.

 

The syncing did most of the work for me at first (and thank the gods for memory cards) I need to install some other stuff still (and am awake cause updates take forever) but the general stuff are here. And I named my speakers "little gnomes" so there's that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

 

The syncing did most of the work for me at first (and thank the gods for memory cards) I need to install some other stuff still (and am awake cause updates take forever) but the general stuff are here. And I named my speakers "little gnomes" so there's that.

:smile-new: I like it

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

And it diminishes the least favourite thing about exercise for me, rest times. It is far easier to let myself rest for 3 X 2 minutes. 

In that case I'm going to tell you that you don't need to have the rest periods in there at all. if you structure your workout so that you space out how you are hitting your body parts the time it takes for you to do the entire round is all the rest you need. It's fine to do that for 4-5 or even more rounds. It is a little more challenging because you will start to breathe heavily but it can be a lot of fun. This is at a very very basic level how crossfit works. You do your work hard with minimal rest and try to go as fast as you safely can. You can play around with the format almost infinitely to keep things interesting. 

 

The long rest periods are more useful when you are working power and more traditional body building type workouts but even then the rest period only ever needs to be long enough that you are capable of completing the next set. 

 

Well done with getting your computer setup. It might have been faster to directly transfer the stuff from your laptop to the new PC rather than using your phone but if it's already done it's done ;) 

 

What do you mean by 'internet problems'? When you plug in using an Ethernet cable you eliminate most of the problems that you can control that might be giving you network connectivity issues so it might be something you need to contact your ISP about. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Well done with getting your computer setup. It might have been faster to directly transfer the stuff from your laptop to the new PC rather than using your phone but if it's already done it's done ;) 

 

Yeah I didn't have a way to do that really, so phone plug and transfer it was.

 

9 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

What do you mean by 'internet problems'? When you plug in using an Ethernet cable you eliminate most of the problems that you can control that might be giving you network connectivity issues so it might be something you need to contact your ISP about. 

 

They are pretty useless so I avoid calling them whenever possible (which is why this is a source of stress). I have a problem with none of my devices usually recognising my router, which can be solved by a reset but is annoying to have to unplug constantly. Here's hoping the Ethernet connection is stable. 

 

11 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It is a little more challenging because you will start to breathe heavily but it can be a lot of fun.

 

Yeah since I'm experimenting with a lot of new exercises I am not really sure what will wind up with me wheezing, but I will keep this is mind for the future. I'd like to go down to a minute rest eventually, but first I want to get comfy working out more too. I feel better when I do.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

Yeah I didn't have a way to do that really, so phone plug and transfer it was.

 

Sure you did/do but you solved the problem anyway :) 

 

8 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

They are pretty useless so I avoid calling them whenever possible (which is why this is a source of stress). I have a problem with none of my devices usually recognising my router, which can be solved by a reset but is annoying to have to unplug constantly. Here's hoping the Ethernet connection is stable. 

 

ISPs often are incredibly useless nobody hates calling them more than I do, I assure you. 

 

On the face of it it sounds like the wifi access point is faulty. If it is just that and not the rest of the router then the Ethernet cable should simply work (the two most obvious scenarios are your wifi is faulty or your entire router is crashing). So if it does remain stable and you want to fix your wifi it'd be easiest just to get a dedicated wifi access point. If it starts losing network completely then you might need to look at replacing the router itself. Really depending on what the ISP does that might be very simple and cheap or very hard. 

 

21 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

Yeah since I'm experimenting with a lot of new exercises I am not really sure what will wind up with me wheezing, but I will keep this is mind for the future. I'd like to go down to a minute rest eventually, but first I want to get comfy working out more too. I feel better when I do.

 

Think about trying an EMOM format too. That's 'Every Minute On the Minute' which means that you do an exercise that you can do all of the reps within about 20-40 seconds and then all of the rest you get is the time it takes for the next minute to start. It's quite fun and eliminates most of the rest time where you are just standing about doing nothing because you only really have enough time to catch your breath and get ready for the next exercise. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

On the face of it it sounds like the wifi access point is faulty. If it is just that and not the rest of the router then the Ethernet cable should simply work (the two most obvious scenarios are your wifi is faulty or your entire router is crashing). So if it does remain stable and you want to fix your wifi it'd be easiest just to get a dedicated wifi access point. If it starts losing network completely then you might need to look at replacing the router itself. Really depending on what the ISP does that might be very simple and cheap or very hard. 

 

Yeah it apparently is both. Twice today the router's light went off with no warning and then came right back on. Ugh.

 

9 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Think about trying an EMOM format too. That's 'Every Minute On the Minute' which means that you do an exercise that you can do all of the reps within about 20-40 seconds and then all of the rest you get is the time it takes for the next minute to start. It's quite fun and eliminates most of the rest time where you are just standing about doing nothing because you only really have enough time to catch your breath and get ready for the next exercise. 

 

Ooh that sounds fun, especially with bodyweight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Week Four Recap: The end of the challenge.

 

tumblr_nhd3b36pZl1ttui8no8_r1_250.gif

 

So, this challenge is done. It passed a lot faster than I thought it would. How did I do? Well, I have changed my priorities a lot during this one, and that is a good thing. I am focusing just as much on my relaxation as on my work and am slowly figuring out a balance. Considering I am now focusing a lot more on how I'm feeling and that is kinda the spirit of this challenge (cause Cordy) so that is awesome.

 

So, let's review shall we?

 

cordelia-chase-gif-13.gif

 

Main challenge goal: Pharmaceutical technician qualifications, aka "ace the SATs" goal

I am preparing myself for my first exam, managing to make this a priority. My second priority that got added halfway through the challenge is the book editing, so I am focusing on those and letting freelancing fall on the back-burner for now (which I can do because it is not my full-time focus).  All in all I'd call this one a success because I am doing well.

 

"Angel Investigations, we help the hopeless"

In order to stay on top of this I need to redefine what the trackers are and how to do them. This has been pretty much the same as always, with its ups and downs, but my outlook on it has changed. To something I think I might be able to do long-term. So, this one checks out too. Though sleep has been crap.

 

"The crossbow" goal

I've figured out a routine! Which is pretty huge for me. I am still not consistent, but that will come with time.

 

The Evolution

I've been having a bit of anger and anxiety issues this time around But I recognised I had it and that is huge. I will probably be easily stressed and freaked out all my life, especially with things I can't control or plan for, and I will always react too things with more anger than sadness, but i no longer beat myself up (though the voice is there I am battling it) and know it is a part of me. I accept and then let go.

What I need to work on is feeling that if while waiting on somehting I have to think of the worst thing that will happen, because if I hope in any way the thing won't work out. This is not how life works.

  • Take breaks when you feel riled up. Breathe, or break the conversation and give yourself space. Mostly riled myself up and there are only so many things you can do to get away from yourself.
  • Calming practises. Work through it. Figure out why you feel the way you feel. Did it, will keep doing it
  • People don't need to know your emotions. Project a calm image and find a way to speak clearly even when you don't feel clear. This will stop me feeling even more annoyed when people try and 'help' but their help is saying calm down. And it will help with the bad type of vulnerability I feel when I am not calm. Didn't come up, so yay.
  • Don't feel responsible for things other people need to do. This helped so much.
  • FEEL. For fuck's sake, just feel your emotions, they are not a bad thing. Did it.
  • Phrasing. Use the words 'hate' and 'try' less. The first one in regards to things I just have a general dislike for and the second in regards to things I want to do. It sounds simple but it's one of these things that you catch yourself doing and it changes your worldview. I've figured out when to use hate. :D 

tumblr_nl46kykMsq1upxwm8o1_400.gif

 

Now, for the Cordy quests

  1. Dennis the ghost quest - a) we now don''t help each other while cleaning and that has made a huge difference; b) I am focusing on the mess that annoys me more and I have felt less stress as a result; c) music helps with not feeling weird about cleaning.
  2. I think it, I say it, it's my way quest - This happened, and it wasn't that big of a deal. I measure what I'm going to say either way so no actual arguments (good thing) but I don't hold back either (also good thing).
  3. Well, duh/I'm not a sheep quest - I am awesome, and some people now know I know that.
  4. You didn't just hurt me, you gave away my clothes quest - The clean up counter is full 5/5, but I am also still doing this all the time. I also bought a lot of stuff. Hell I bought a new PC and now I have a screen I don't have to squint at and a PC that doesn't take forever to open. I didn't break the bank and am still responsible here I just don't get scared of getting things I need as much as I was. 

 

And lastly:

tumblr_nhd3b36pZl1ttui8no5_r1_250.gif

 

It was weird to put focus on different things this time. I have always been one for accomplishing things. I want to check boxes and be successful, advance in my life up to the place I want to be at. But the other side of working hard is relaxing just as hard. :D  And paying attention to yourself. And this challenge fulfilled that requirement.

 

See ya in the next one folks. Here' something to make you laugh while I'm at it.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Well done! You're right learning to relax and pay attention to yourself are hard

 

Especially when changing the focus to that means I generally "lose control" (my version of this is getting up at 11 am) of some parts of my life but not feeling more stress but less because of it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2018 at 12:04 PM, Echoceanic said:

But the other side of working hard is relaxing just as hard. :D  And paying attention to yourself. And this challenge fulfilled that requirement.

This challenge has really brought to like exactly how important it is to find time to pay attention to yourself, relax and let go of stress and tension. I now think it is as important as any of the active work that we do towards our life goals. It's interesting to know that when you exercise you are adding stress to your body and it doesn't care if that stress came from a workout or an impending deadline. 

 

Being able to shift focus but not let the other things fall off completely is important. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

This challenge has really brought to like exactly how important it is to find time to pay attention to yourself, relax and let go of stress and tension. I now think it is as important as any of the active work that we do towards our life goals.

 

It's a weird thing to realise isn't it? There had to be a reason why balance is so hard to strike, and why too much of one thing either turns you into a lazy slob or a stressed jittery mess. 

 

34 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It's interesting to know that when you exercise you are adding stress to your body and it doesn't care if that stress came from a workout or an impending deadline. 

 

Exercise is work I tend to forget that. I do wind up getting a 'high' from it especially when I work hard but it doesn't have to be dull to be work. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now