• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echoceanic

Echo level up: The Chase Challenge

13 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Just a burpee with the moves confused around. :D If I don't count or rush I forget to squat down and go for the plank first for example. 

You squat down before going for the plank? I dunno that sounds like a perfectly executed 'Spartan Race' grade burpee ;) Still for the best effect with burpees there is a practical speed limit to make sure your form is on point and you aren't cheating yourself out of the exercise. Unless you are doing a Spartan in which case the aim is to do 30 in the most efficient way possible! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

You squat down before going for the plank? I dunno that sounds like a perfectly executed 'Spartan Race' grade burpee ;)

Well, the regular shape as far as I can see is: squat down, put hands on floor, move to plank, optional push up if you can, move to squat, get up. If I get confused I wind up with plank and then get up and am confused. :D 

Yup, that's why my time limit on these darebee hits is 2 min and not lower, I want to make sure I know what I'm doing. 

14 hours ago, Stribs said:

Be careful doing lots of burpees quickly unless you're sure your form is solid...that's why my back is so bent out of shape right now.

Exactly, I already have a slight back warp, I don't need anymore. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

Well, the regular shape as far as I can see is: squat down, put hands on floor, move to plank, optional push up if you can, move to squat, get up. If I get confused I wind up with plank and then get up and am confused. :D 

I just miss the squat and the plank out altogether. Standing, drop, chest to floor, push up off the knees and then back up with the smallest jump I can manage at the end! I don't actually recommend doing burpees this way but I generally avoid them during my workouts ;) 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I don't actually recommend doing burpees this way but I generally avoid them during my workouts ;)

This might sound crazy but I actually like them? To a point? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Echoceanic said:

This might sound crazy but I actually like them? To a point? 

Have you ever done over 250 whilst running 20k through a dense forest and falling off of countless mean obstacles? That's why I don't like burpees :)

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

Have you ever done over 250 whilst running 20k through a dense forest and falling off of countless mean obstacles? That's why I don't like burpees :)

Oh man, even doing them stationary burpees are the worst, but doing them in THAT capacity.... yowwow...

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah that would make me not like them. I've only done them in groups of 4. 

3 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Burpees scare me... lol. 

I thought they'd be harder honestly, but I do get why people would hate them. 

3 hours ago, shaar said:

Oh man, even doing them stationary burpees are the worst, but doing them in THAT capacity.... yowwow...

Yeah that sounds horrifying. :D 

• Like 1

Update: Echo needs to tweak things a bit

Exercise.

While I really do like this darebee plan, it is quite an easy one, and I don't want to loose any progress or strength, I want to move forward. I did two days at once today - I did the cardio day and the yoga day. I liked the yoga day, I actually wound up adding moves that flowed well for in between the exercises, but the cardio day had too many jumping jacks which is my least favourite exercise ever (they are boring and do nothing but make my calves hurt) so I reduced them and should just find a replacement for them. And the last exercise on the cardio day was too confusing.

For the next day I'll probably do my set version - so three times what I should do, just because it seems like a good escalation when you don't actually want to increase the number of reps just yet - cause form. I'll wind up either adding exercises to these (it will also allow me to practise building routines) or doing a few days in a row - I can combine cardio days with any other day as well as the yoga ones. I find it's harder now because I'm not an expert but also not a beginner and it's either too easy or too hard.

But on the other side, the days after this seem fun as all hell. I'm gonna learn how to punch again :D 

School.

Going tomorrow. AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! I am going on a self-imposed hiatus from freelancing for the rest of the week so I can calm down and you know, find books and settle everything.

Book.

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! So far so good.  I haven't had a panic attack or cried. That counts as good. I have been having attacks of the doubt in my abilities but have beaten them back. 

I'm (now) good at taking critique in the sense that I know not to go off on the people giving it and being defensive (not talking to people who get defensive about it helps). I still haven't gotten the hang of actually feeling comfortable with it though. But that's fine, it's a huge deal and most people can't do it.

Cordy quests.

I invested in skincare! My skin type is what I like to call 'congested and easily annoyed but otherwise fine' and it has taken me a while to admit that if I want to have nice skin I can't use the things in the drugstore (that way lies the path of cystic acne) and that I actually have to spend money on this. It's been easier since I don't really wear expensive makeup, or complexion makeup in general, and that both motivates me and helps because the money I'd spend on that go here.

I've also been buying more clothes - which for me means that if I see something I really like, it fits and won't break the bank, I get it. I tend to just wear what I like other people be damned so I already have that going for me. And the fact mom sews a lot of stuff is a good thing.

The count for stuff is 3/5 now, and the other two should be relatively easy.

The chores have been one by the other person I live with these days, mostly because they are at home now for the week. Next week should be a test of my skills.

I have been good at not bothering myself with things I know I should not be bothered with and speaking my mind. Haven't gotten too many chances to try.

Have been sleeping a lot more these days, I wake up at the right time but don't get up, and stay in bed till 11 ish (like today). Weird. 

I think that's it for now? End of this week will be focused on the main goal and just general relaxation. And sewing. 

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

I'm (now) good at taking critique in the sense that I know not to go off on the people giving it and being defensive (not talking to people who get defensive about it helps). I still haven't gotten the hang of actually feeling comfortable with it though. But that's fine, it's a huge deal and most people can't do it.

It's actually really difficult to reconcile sometimes. Technical criticism is much easier to deal with. Are you using a word so often it becomes distracting? It's easy to see how fixing things of that nature will improve the readers experience. When it comes to matters of style and voice it gets down into peoples opinions and that's much more murky. The fact of the matter is that no matter how good it is someone somewhere will simply hate it, and no matter how bad it is someone will love it.  All I'm trying to say is that disagreeing with an opinion isn't necessarily the same thing as being defensive but at the same time you will only improve by taking that opinion on board, taking a step back and asking if it is valid. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Also the way the critique is made can make a difference as to whether we get defensive or not. There's a difference between constructive criticism and actually being told that what we are doing is bad/wrong. It's really hard not to get automatically defensive sometimes. 

19 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Have been sleeping a lot more these days, I wake up at the right time but don't get up, and stay in bed till 11 ish (like today). Weird. 

I think this is going around. I've been wanting to sleep more. I'm tired a lot. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

It's easy to see how fixing things of that nature will improve the readers experience. When it comes to matters of style and voice it gets down into peoples opinions and that's much more murky.

Yeah it's an odd slippery slope if who you work with doesn't understand how you write. Example, I had a beta reader that thought my book needs about 10 000 more words of description in it. Which is a lot. 

6 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

The fact of the matter is that no matter how good it is someone somewhere will simply hate it, and no matter how bad it is someone will love it.  All I'm trying to say is that disagreeing with an opinion isn't necessarily the same thing as being defensive but at the same time you will only improve by taking that opinion on board, taking a step back and asking if it is valid. 

Yeah that is the balance I;m trying to strike. I disagree with some of the things my editor says and am trying to find the balance between 'I'll change everything and not like it anymore' and 'protective momma bear mode' where I lash out at any level of critique and battle all the way. Some things I put my foot down on and it stays. 

5 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

Also the way the critique is made can make a difference as to whether we get defensive or not. There's a difference between constructive criticism and actually being told that what we are doing is bad/wrong. It's really hard not to get automatically defensive sometimes. 

I've been in a weird place with this because I am great at critique giving in the way that I will always find the nice things I need to sugarcoat the bad, and I am one that also needs the assurance that I'm doing something right so I do well with the same technique. Not every good critique follows what people sometimes call 'the shit sandwich' approach. Some are blunt 'this is what we need to fix lets find a solution' and those trigger the defences because my brain has nothing positive to focus on. One good thing about this is that I can easily spot a 'I personally don't like this' critique and can tell it to go fuck itself. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

Example, I had a beta reader that thought my book needs about 10 000 more words of description in it. Which is a lot. 

Err. I'm struggling to figure out how you'd quantify that statement. I mean I can see ' You need more description' or 'you need to improve on your descriptions and add detail' or something but specifically saying 'you need to add about 10k more words of description' just boggles the mind. How you use description comes down to stylistic choice a lot of the time (adding description can slow down pace and stifle action and might not help the story at all. If a character is fleeing for their life you can bet they are not going to notice that the moss on the trees is a particular shade of green so does the reader need to? Or does it just reduce the sense of urgency by stopping to explain it?).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

How you use description comes down to stylistic choice a lot of the time (adding description can slow down pace and stifle action and might not help the story at all. If a character is fleeing for their life you can bet they are not going to notice that the moss on the trees is a particular shade of green so does the reader need to? Or does it just reduce the sense of urgency by stopping to explain it?).

Which is exactly what we differ on - I think his story needs less of it, he thinks mine needs more. It's an approximate number (which is like 1/8th of my total book length) that he used to show how 'bare' he thinks my book is.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Echoceanic said:

Which is exactly what we differ on - I think his story needs less of it, he thinks mine needs more. It's an approximate number (which is like 1/8th of my total book length) that he used to show how 'bare' he thinks my book is.

:) Yeah I'm of the opinion that description is overrated but that might just be me. It is vital but over doing it does more harm than good. 

• Like 1

Seems to me ( in a I know nothing about it ) that learning how to best apply people's suggestions on the book is an art in itself. You have to know your vision, and whether their suggestions will help or not.

I like how you are adjusting your workouts to work for you

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

:) Yeah I'm of the opinion that description is overrated but that might just be me. It is vital but over doing it does more harm than good. 

Apart from in American Psycho, the intense description is needed to enter his psyche.!! :)

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Just now, Salinger said:

Apart from in American Psycho, the intense description is needed to enter his psyche.!! :)

I've never read it (I really should!) but there are, of course, exceptions! And it depends on what the story is trying to portray. I was speaking more in terms of the stuff that I'm inclined to write but yes sometimes the description is the point. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I've never read it (I really should!) but there are, of course, exceptions! And it depends on what the story is trying to portray. I was speaking more in terms of the stuff that I'm inclined to write but yes sometimes the description is the point. 

Yes you really need to read it. Not for the faint hearted thats for sure, but my 3rd fave book ever probably ! x

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Salinger said:

giphy.gif

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I read American Psycho... and I regretted it... I think. 

I avoid movies that have a lot of gore in it because I just don't like that aspect of movies. I've never read a book that made me feel that the gore was way over the top before American Psycho. There were passages that I literally had to stop reading because I was just so disgusted. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I read American Psycho... and I regretted it... I think. 

I avoid movies that have a lot of gore in it because I just don't like that aspect of movies. I've never read a book that made me feel that the gore was way over the top before American Psycho. There were passages that I literally had to stop reading because I was just so disgusted. 

Yeah, one of my friends was actually sick due to one section. 

I think its a brilliant book though, i really think some of the writing in that is unreal. And it needs to be over the top, you being disgusted is exactly what the author wants. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Salinger said:

I think its a brilliant book though, i really think some of the writing in that is unreal. And it needs to be over the top, you being disgusted is exactly what the author wants. 

It was a brilliant book, that's true... but I just couldn't bring myself to 'like' it. I just don't do gore that hard core. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

It's a balancing act. You need to do enough so that it's not just talking heads but you need to also tone it down so that it doesn't take forever from action to action. It varies from scene to scene even.

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

Seems to me ( in a I know nothing about it ) that learning how to best apply people's suggestions on the book is an art in itself. You have to know your vision, and whether their suggestions will help or not.

You are right. It's a very very hard thing to do. But really rewarding. That is why I always say if you're going to try and do this professionally, make sure you have thick skin or a way to get it. And be prepared to cry at least once. :D 

58 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

I haven't read this book either. I don't mind gore, but I don't like it when it's super clear that the writer is trying to gross me out (and this has nothing to do with volume really) or really make me feel any emotion. There is a type of writing that goes 'i'm really really trying here' and you don't want that. But this is also subjective. 

I write a lot of bloody things (but of course it varies from book to book) but not a lot of gory things. Not sure it makes sense out loud but it does in my head. 

58 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Yeah... that sounds rough. 

On 8/15/2018 at 3:09 PM, Echoceanic said:

I feel this so hard.  I get more critiques on my teaching than I have my writing, but its still that moment of "breathe in and don't take this personally."  I try to take a sponge approach and just take in all in because I'm still learning and stuff.  But yeah, this is like a boss level skill :) 

• Like 1

Update: Echo is having some thoughts and emotions.

I did go and sign up at the high school I needed to sign up in yesterday. It was much faster than I thought it would be, much more anticlimactic than I thought it would be and druged up some thoughts I didn't think it would. 

LameImpossibleDartfrog-size_restricted.g

I really liked to think this didn't influence me, but...

It's not a stretch to say I didn't have fun in high school. I don't think I have a single memory of it that is positive enough for me to look at it with fondness. I've grown a lot since the years I've been away from it, graduating from bitterness to calmness about it. I've not exactly forgiven everyone but I'm no longer mad about it. So I didn't really think that just being back in a high school (not even the same one) would make me feel that awkward again. It didn't help that I had other sources of stress in that same time.

I'm working on feeling better about it these days though it's a bit of uncharted territory (I've never been in a situation like this before) and I am also fighting the urge to just shove it down and bury it. I do know I have to get over it because I'll be spending a lot of time at that school. I have already made sure I have no outside pressure from the one person that can do that. So, progress?

I've been taking a break from freelancing (for like two days now) but I can't stop checking my messages - luckily yesterday I did that because I had a timer from a person that I told that I was going on a break but apparently waiting was not in the cards. I did stand my ground so that is good but I hate that I can't just turn off. Ugh. I need to stop with the upsetting. I've been watching a few videos on burn out (I really like this one because I can relate a lot - it's basically me on a larger scale) and yeah I need to find the shut off switch. 

tumblr_nm5j85Vp3V1rlbc16o2_250.gif

Just save my butt from snapping please.

I know it in my head, but it's hard in practise. It's not a thing that is uncommon, I really just need to freaking take my own advice.

tumblr_nkezihbVxA1ttwla3o2_r1_500.png

The counter is officially on 4/5 because we dealt with the wardrobe and things that are not just mine. I am kinda dreading doing that to my winter things so I'm not. Mostly because it's really in the back of the wardrobe and the house is already a mess (all the things). Saying things that I would not say normally has been more about me being honest with people than I through ti would be, and it's kinda freeing. Still working on the 'I'm awesome' part, but battling self-doubt is going well.

• Like 1