• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

jonfirestar

JonFirestar: Knightfall

18 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Thanks. Although to be fair I'm just old enough to have run the cycle round a few times. I'm simply determined for things to go differently this time (long term differently) and for that I need to step outside of my comfort zone and do things I wouldn't have done before.

I was thinking maybe it can be like a spiral rather than a cycle. We often describe spirals with negative things (spiraling out of control, spiraling into depression) but maybe you could think of riding the circle around a few times but learning as you go, making overall improvement and eventually breaking free of it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Do you feel like you could run, even if it was a run-walk, or is it still painful? 

It's a toughie. Perhaps points could be allocated for a particular type of pulling exercise? Keep the points the same for similar exercises and then no one is at a disadvantage for doing negatives instead of pull ups. 

I can run with no problem. It doesn't hurt at all once I'm warmed up and even when it does it's not so painful to actually affect my running. It hurts when I wake up and most of all after I did my last run. Which was sprint repeats. Speed work and hills are apparently bad for this kind of injury. I've read a lot to suggest that some running might be okay but I think a week without running isn't going to be a bad thing. After that I'm going to let the physio advise me what's best. 

12 minutes ago, elizevdmerwe said:

Catching up... catching up...

It's been one day and there is already catching up to do :( 

4 minutes ago, Xena said:

I was thinking maybe it can be like a spiral rather than a cycle. We often describe spirals with negative things (spiraling out of control, spiraling into depression) but maybe you could think of riding the circle around a few times but learning as you go, making overall improvement and eventually breaking free of it.

I like that way of thinking about it. Although even a spiral hits you with the inevitability of having to stay in the cycle until you hit the end. I'd rather it not be either of those things. I'm unable to come up with a better analogy. I'm not always great at that because my brain places far more emphasis on meaning rather than definition but you are very right. Just because I have had experience X does not mean that this experience is doomed to end the same way. Indeed this time round things have gone very differently and while I get frustrated by the apparent lack of progress there is also a genuine lack of regression too and that's the thing I fear the most. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Because we haven't launched it yet ;) but it will be a thing. 

Is someone in charge of it, or should I just do it real quick?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Something is better than nothing. I kind of feel like I've not been putting in enough effort for a couple of weeks on all accounts. It's hard to shake that feeling. 

This is something I get all the time and it's weird and can throw you off balance a lot more than anything.

You're doing great. You're going to keep trying and because of that you'll always move forward even if it's at a snail pace.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It's a toughie. Perhaps points could be allocated for a particular type of pulling exercise? Keep the points the same for similar exercises and then no one is at a disadvantage for doing negatives instead of pull ups. 

On previous minis, didn't they handle this dilemma by saying a version you can do 5-10: 1 point, a version you can do 1-3, 2 points? That might work here.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

This is something I get all the time and it's weird and can throw you off balance a lot more than anything.

You're doing great. You're going to keep trying and because of that you'll always move forward even if it's at a snail pace.

Yeah my mind really likes things to be black and white. Even though I know full well that the whole world exits in multicolour and nothing is so clear cut. 

5 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

Btw, it's going to be super hard for me not to flood you with batman jokes all the time now. :D

Now I'm going to be disappointed if you don't :D 

7 minutes ago, Big_Show said:

All about the tracking train!

Welcome aboard! 

• Like 1

Week 0, Tuesday! 

Today had all the hallmarks of being a really bad day but I think I was able to salvage it and it all worked out. I'm not 100% on all my goals but I made up ground and feel like I made the best of a bad start. 

The long and the short of it is that I woke up at 5, after a fairly restless night, got ready for the gym and then just didn't leave. I was 'okay' with that decision for about 30 minutes until I got extremely frustrated with myself. After much self anger I got off to work. As you might understand this act and this reaction had a very real chance of simply spiralling out of control with thoughts of "well I ruined today already so screw it" 

When I got to work I looked at the huge cheesecake that had been put in the fridge overnight and somehow simply shrugged and ignored it. Now there is nothing special about there being cheese cake in the fridge at work. Or the cake that had been left on the top. For reasons my workplace is often loaded with masses of confectionaries and that simple fact probably helped. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tempted but the temptation was momentary. I wasn't at all hungry, which helped. 

The day then proceeded to be exceedingly boring but thanks to a long conversation with a few other nerds on facebook the day went quickly. That probably also helped. Especially when I realised I'd forgotten to pack my protein bar. I use that thing as a bit of a crutch, I admit but I got home I cooked up dinner and felt okay. I left it about an hour then resolved to get on and do the workout I'd skipped in the morning. I own some weights but no bench and only about 70kgs in total. Nonetheless I put together a bit of a circuit and did a workout. Which further helped. It did make one thing clear. One of the things I did when losing weight was workout in the evening because it helped with my eating habits in the evening. I really prefer to do the work in the morning so that's a little frustrating. 

Anyway consider today a success even if it didn't go exactly to plan.  

Battling Bane:

Really very little temptation. I'm actually surprised TBH. 

Getting in Bat Shape

Workout consisted of pushups, pull-ups, barbell rows, RDL, Curls, Standing Skull Crushers and squats. The weights were light and the exercises were done for 10 reps (apart from pull-ups which were 1-2 reps) in a complex/circuit fashion - no rest between exercises a couple of minutes rest between rounds. Had I gone to the gym the weights would have been significantly heavier and the workout a lot longer and slower but I worked up a sweat and am happy that I got something done. 

Greasing the Groove. 

Total of 10 today between the day and the workout. Didn't have to resort to negatives, which I'm honestly surprised about.

• Like 12

5 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Today had all the hallmarks of being a really bad day but I think I was able to salvage it and it all worked out. I'm not 100% on all my goals but I made up ground and feel like I made the best of a bad start. 

Great job! Things tend to not go according to plan, but you didn’t let it get out of control. Nicely done!!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Well done on turning the day around.

11 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Great job today!  Keep up the good work!

6 hours ago, jstanlick said:

Great job! Things tend to not go according to plan, but you didn’t let it get out of control. Nicely done!!

Thanks, I'm working on not allowing single slip ups ruin everything. It doesn't come naturally but I'm making progress. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

One of the things I did when losing weight was workout in the evening because it helped with my eating habits in the evening. I really prefer to do the work in the morning so that's a little frustrating. 

Maybe doing BMF in the evening will help with this, when you get the all clear to go? Although it may be difficult to do 2 workouts in a day without feeling exhausted! 

Well done on avoiding the cakes and cheesecake. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Battling Bane:

Really very little temptation. I'm actually surprised TBH. 

Image result for batman vs bane

You VS your Bane yesterday ^^^. #KickedIt'sAss

Wolf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Salinger said:

Good job on owning the day Jon! Proud of you. xx

Thanks, Lizz and thanks for checking in on me! 

4 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Maybe doing BMF in the evening will help with this, when you get the all clear to go? Although it may be difficult to do 2 workouts in a day without feeling exhausted! 

It probably will help for the one or two evenings a week that I do it. I'm also hoping that if i can get a little bit of momentum it'll help. I've not really been able to go more than a few days without incident all year. 

1 hour ago, Wolfpool said:

You VS your Bane yesterday ^^^. #KickedIt'sAss

Haha thanks Wolfie! Same they let the bastard back out again today! So gotta do it all over again. 

• Like 1

Maaaan one of my favorite things ever is when a day starts out like a dumpster fire, and you're CONVINCED it's going to turn into a 100 story dumpster fire, but you manage to turn it around and be all like ".... yeah, I'm a badass, COME AT ME WORLD"

Not that it happens easily or often but when it does, what a great feeling yeah??  YOU'RE DOING THE THING ^________^

• Like 4

5 hours ago, shaar said:

Maaaan one of my favorite things ever is when a day starts out like a dumpster fire, and you're CONVINCED it's going to turn into a 100 story dumpster fire, but you manage to turn it around and be all like ".... yeah, I'm a badass, COME AT ME WORLD"

Not that it happens easily or often but when it does, what a great feeling yeah??  YOU'RE DOING THE THING ^________^

You are right. Those kind of days are awesome! It really did make me feel so much more positive to turn things around. 

Week 0, Wednesday! 

Kind of a tedious boring day today but one that's been totally on target. Due to some kind of miscommunication between me and HR (my fault really but I'm also a little miffed) I happen to have the entire day off tomorrow rather than simply the couple of hours in the afternoon that I was looking for. Meh, not really a problem. I've got the spare vacation time. I have a bunch of chores that I've been putting off because the best time to do them is in the middle of a week day so I'll try and make sure I get them done. 

Phyiso appointment is at 12:30 tomorrow afternoon. My anxiety brain is causing me to freak out a little bit about it. 

Battling Bane:

Bang on target. I'm somewhat aware that I probably need to think about reducing calories now that I'm not running 30+ miles a week but I'm more concerned about getting some semblance of control before I try. I'm struggling a little with hunger this evening but nothing too crazy and it's bed time now so it's fine. 

Getting in Bat Shape:

Got out to spin class this morning. It was a really, really hard workout but adaptions are coming fast (yay newbie gains) and I was much better able to push myself faster and harder. I was even able to actually spike my heart rate into the anaerobic zone. TBF I wasn't wearing a heart rate strap and my wrist based sensor isn't particularly good at picking up spikes for the few seconds in an interval that I'm actually able to approach my max heart rate so it's probably a little better than it looks. Except maybe the stupidly long hill sessions I was doing a couple of months back the relative effort of this compared to an average hard run is much higher. 

Feeling a little DOMSy today too so at least I feel like yesterdays workout did some good! 

Greasing the Groove. 

5 done. Singles throughout the day. 

• Like 8