• Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm happy that you were able to get out for your run and it went pain free! 

 

Me to. Long may it continue!

 

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Nice one Charlie....!!

 

tenor.gif?itemid=7207852

 

50 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Yay for a pain free run!

 

Woop woop!!

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I'll leave this here in case anyone wants to get crazy with some pull-up training!

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

ii. Pull ups

Only did 3 GtG pull ups yesterday as I've got a bit of DOMS from Monday. I only did these because Stu told me to 'quit whining and do them'. :D He loves me really!

 

Sadly I could not find the gif I wanted, but this will have to do.

 

Image result for simpson gymnastics gif

 

There's all kinds of motivation!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Good job on those intervals. I'm glad you didn't explode.

 

Thanks, so am I.

Image result for homer head explode gif

 

15 hours ago, Phoenix Burning said:

Following for butt jokes and rehab commiserations.

 

Yay running!

 

Hi! 

There seems to be quite a few people rehabbing something or another this challenge.

 

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

 

Sadly I could not find the gif I wanted, but this will have to do.

 

Image result for simpson gymnastics gif

 

There's all kinds of motivation!

 

This is still a good gif.

You need to visit frinkiac.com You can just make Simpsons gifs if you can't find them! I have spent an unholy amount of time on that site!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wednesday

Stupid Sexy Flanders (Rehab the butt)

Rehab exercises completed.

 

"Overshoot the Extreme! Max the Envelope! And so on"

i. Strength Train 2-3 times a week

Rest day

ii. Pull ups

None

 

Not much to report from yesterday as I took a complete rest day, except for my physio stuff. 

 

I did manage to get myself in a bit of a funk yesterday evening. I found a short running documentary on Netflix about Karl Meltzer's attempt to break the record for running the Appalachian Trail. It was an OK documentary - no where near as good as Finding Traction - but it made me have a little freak out over the completely irrational fear of not being able to run long distance again. I'm not saying I want to run 2,188 miles in 46 days, but I want to be able to run 50km ultras. Yep, @jonfirestar, I know we had this discussion yesterday! And despite that, I still managed to get myself worked up over it! Irrational brain is irrational! 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I found a short running documentary on Netflix about Karl Meltzer's attempt to break the record for running the Appalachian Trail.

 

I think I saw that documentary!  It also gave me feels.  I have really missed trail running since I moved, and focus is more on martial arts.  My last OCR was in April and I hadn't run much in the year before that.  

 

You will definitely run long distances again, Charlie.  You are going to be one of those inspiring stories of the woman who was sidelined with an injury and came back stronger than ever and does something impossible after the recovery!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

but it made me have a little freak out over the completely irrational fear of not being able to run long distance again. I'm not saying I want to run 2,188 miles in 46 days, but I want to be able to run 50km ultras. Yep, @jonfirestar, I know we had this discussion yesterday! And despite that, I still managed to get myself worked up over it! Irrational brain is irrational! 

Edit actually write something: 

 

You know I'm right there with you. We just need to take this one step at a time. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Phoenix Burning said:

 

I think I saw that documentary!  It also gave me feels.  I have really missed trail running since I moved, and focus is more on martial arts.  My last OCR was in April and I hadn't run much in the year before that.  

 

You will definitely run long distances again, Charlie.  You are going to be one of those inspiring stories of the woman who was sidelined with an injury and came back stronger than ever and does something impossible after the recovery!

 

It's hard to focus on multiple disciplines (RangerBrain!!!) that's why my strength training dropped off when I started marathon training. Can you fit a trail run into your schedule once a week? Maybe that would be enough to scratch the itch?

 

Thanks. I know I was being completely irrational. Plenty of runners have come back from worse things than this. And now I have a chance to start from scratch and be a better runner than I was before. I just need to learn to be patient!

 

 

47 minutes ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Unrelated, but my favorite Simpsons quote:

NXFY.gif

 

I love this one too!

 

20 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Edit actually write something: 

 

You know I'm right there with you. We just need to take this one step at a time. 

 

 

 

We just need to make sure those steps aren't up a hill. :D

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

We just need to make sure those steps aren't up a hill. :D

A hill is fine! I just have to avoid doing 'all the hills' 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

 

It's hard to focus on multiple disciplines (RangerBrain!!!) that's why my strength training dropped off when I started marathon training. Can you fit a trail run into your schedule once a week? Maybe that would be enough to scratch the itch?

 

Well, right now I am not supposed to be running at all.  Maybe in the fall, though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

A hill is fine! I just have to avoid doing 'all the hills' 

 

I have to avoid all hills! Hopefully not for too long, as I'd really like to do do some hiking soon. On a similar note, is it wrong that I'm stupidly excited for my running assessment next week? 

 

7 hours ago, Phoenix Burning said:

 

Well, right now I am not supposed to be running at all.  Maybe in the fall, though.

 

I forgot you had PF. When I wrote my previous post, I had it in my head that you had a shoulder injury! I'm a bit of a dumb-ass sometimes!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thursday

Stupid Sexy Flanders (Rehab the butt)

Rehab exercises completed. This is going to get very tedious, very quickly! But things are feeling good. Late yesterday evening that I noticed I'd managed to sit in one position on the couch for over an hour without pain. Progress!

 

"Overshoot the Extreme! Max the Envelope! And so on"

i. Strength Train 2-3 times a week

Did my second session of the week yesterday. Bench and then some shoulder work. I didn't have a lot of energy yesterday so I kept it quite short.

ii. Pull ups

Some, but not as many as I would have liked. Did a set of scapular pulls but mostly it was GtG. I'm saving my energy for the PvP next week! ;)

 

I've got my second rehab run tonight. The running interval is up to 30 seconds. I'm not sure if I'm supposed to decrease the walking interval, so I'll keep it at 40 seconds for now and maybe decrease it when I move up to 45 seconds.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I have to avoid all hills! Hopefully not for too long, as I'd really like to do do some hiking soon. On a similar note, is it wrong that I'm stupidly excited for my running assessment next week? 

 

Yeah I mean, right now I am not allowed to do hills at all but when I eventually get back to training for crazy things I'm going to be doing hill work again. I'm just going to be a bit more conservative about it when I do. I had it in my head that I needed to do all of the hill work I possibly could and obviously that didn't work out well for me in the end. I don't see anything wrong with being excited for your running assessment :) 

 

raplh_3.gif

 

I'm ridiculously excited about being able to run next week! 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah I mean, right now I am not allowed to do hills at all but when I eventually get back to training for crazy things I'm going to be doing hill work again. I'm just going to be a bit more conservative about it when I do. I had it in my head that I needed to do all of the hill work I possibly could and obviously that didn't work out well for me in the end. I don't see anything wrong with being excited for your running assessment

 

I think when I do eventually start running properly again, I'm going to make more of an effort to do hills on the long run and not so much during the week.

 

Have you watched that Karl Meltzer Netflix doc I mentioned the other day? Two things struck me about his running. 1, he falls over a lot! The first few minutes of the doc is basically a super-cut of him falling over! and 2, So much walking (with poles)!

Also, my friend that ran with us for a while at MvL did no hill running but did a lot of hiking and she powered up some of those hills. I'm thinking that a lot of hiking combined with speed work could be the way forward.

 

21 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

raplh_3.gif

 

I was looking for this gif when we were talking swimming lessons in the FB chat yesterday

The Simpsons Swimming GIF

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I think when I do eventually start running properly again, I'm going to make more of an effort to do hills on the long run and not so much during the week.

 

I think I'm certainly not going to do some of the more crazy workouts again and also give myself a bit more rest between big hill days (also maybe one long run with hills and one without alternating, or something) and I really think it mostly boils down to the masses of hill repeats that I did and the repetition of the forces over and over more than the hills in the long runs. So I'm going to very much limit what I do in regard to that again. I think hill repeats are still useful but maybe not a 2 hour and 9 mile workout of them! 

 

7 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Also, my friend that ran with us for a while at MvL did no hill running but did a lot of hiking and she powered up some of those hills. I'm thinking that a lot of hiking combined with speed work could be the way forward.

 

I was actually going to say this. I think a few good training hikes in lieu of a long run would be a really good way to go. When I did my long runs into the hills I would actually walk up the majority of all the hills anyway so I'm not sure that there is much difference with that and just a regular hike. I'd like to get some hiking days on some serious terrain before next MvL. Once I got over the 'this really sucks' stage of the hills at MvL I was really able to power up them so I know what I did helped with my ability to do them. I just need to figure out how to do that without breaking myself in the process! Relative to the people around me I was faster going up than most of them but also slower coming down. 

 

14 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Have you watched that Karl Meltzer Netflix doc I mentioned the other day? Two things struck me about his running. 1, he falls over a lot! The first few minutes of the doc is basically a super-cut of him falling over! and 2, So much walking (with poles)!

Yeah I've seen it ;) I agree with your assessment. It's good but Finding Traction is much better. To be fair 2000 miles gives you a lot of time to fall over! Being a better hiker is defiantly something that will help you be a better ultra runner (especially mountain ultras). So Ranger hiking trips next spring? We've still got to do the Snowdon thing we've been talking about for the last couple of years. 

 

21 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

was looking for this gif when we were talking swimming lessons in the FB chat yesterday

The Simpsons Swimming GIF

I love Ralph :) 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I think I'm certainly not going to do some of the more crazy workouts again and also give myself a bit more rest between big hill days (also maybe one long run with hills and one without alternating, or something)

 

That's what I was thinking. It takes a lot of time out of my weekend to have to go somewhere with hills. Every other week is far more manageable.

 

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

I was actually going to say this. I think a few good training hikes in lieu of a long run would be a really good way to go. When I did my long runs into the hills I would actually walk up the majority of all the hills anyway so I'm not sure that there is much difference with that and just a regular hike. I'd like to get some hiking days on some serious terrain before next MvL.

 

She lives in Matlock, which is just outside the Peak District! So she definitely had more appropriate terrain to train on! I think the best training I did was walking up Snowdon. Which is why.....

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

So Ranger hiking trips next spring? We've still got to do the Snowdon thing we've been talking about for the last couple of years. 

 

Yes, we need to do this! 

 

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Im up for a hiking trip with you guys!! x

 

The Peak District is definitely somewhere I'd like to visit. I can get direct trains from Watford Junction to Manchester that only take 2 hours, so I have no excuses not to do a day trip at some point.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

 

The Peak District is definitely somewhere I'd like to visit. I can get direct trains from Watford Junction to Manchester that only take 2 hours, so I have no excuses not to do a day trip at some point.

 

Perfect!!! How exciting!! x

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

That's what I was thinking. It takes a lot of time out of my weekend to have to go somewhere with hills. Every other week is far more manageable.

While I didn't have to travel to get onto either flat trails or hilly trails running into the hills takes so much longer to finish a run than it does going on the flat. That sounds very obvious now that I say it, and i think that was a part of where i went wrong. A little too much time on feet over individual sessions because I'm not very fast. I'm stealing your idea and using this set back as an opportunity to work on my speed before moving back up into distance so that I can spend less time on the same runs! 

 

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

The Peak District is definitely somewhere I'd like to visit. I can get direct trains from Watford Junction to Manchester that only take 2 hours, so I have no excuses not to do a day trip at some point.

 

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

Perfect!!! How exciting!! x

I'd love to see the Peak District. It's yet another place I've never been to. I can also get direct trains to Manchester but, for some reason, they take 3 hours from Reading rather than just too :( they also aren't especially affordable but this really is something that we could make happen. 

 

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Yes, we need to do this! 

I really do think that getting @Rhovaniel to take us hiking in the Lakes would be really beneficial too. Of course the big problem is arranging all this around everyones respective time and budgets (because I spend all my money on races and shoes) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

While I didn't have to travel to get onto either flat trails or hilly trails running into the hills takes so much longer to finish a run than it does going on the flat. That sounds very obvious now that I say it, and i think that was a part of where i went wrong. A little too much time on feet over individual sessions because I'm not very fast. I'm stealing your idea and using this set back as an opportunity to work on my speed before moving back up into distance so that I can spend less time on the same runs! 

 

The thought of getting faster is appealing for so many different reasons! Mostly though it's that whole thing of not having to dedicate half of a Sunday just to go running!

 

5 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I can also get direct trains to Manchester but, for some reason, they take 3 hours from Reading rather than just too :( they also aren't especially affordable but this really is something that we could make happen. 

 

The trains are regular, but quite expensive. About £40 each way. I'd rather do that than spend 5 hours on the M1/M6 again though!

 

6 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Of course the big problem is arranging all this around everyones respective time and budgets (because I spend all my money on races and shoes) 

 

Money is going to be a big factor for me next year, which actually is something I was just about to talk about!

 

 

At 9am tomorrow we have an appointment with a mortgage broker to discuss re-mortgaging and hopefully releasing some equity so we can renew the leasehold on our flat. I really hate doing this stuff as I find it really stressful. But we also want to move in the next 1-2 years, so it's something that needs to be done soon. 

Anyway, because of this, I've had to print out bank statements to take with us tomorrow. I'm pretty shitty when it comes to monitoring my bank statements. I tend to just check my balance and the last few transactions in case of fraud. Printing them out made me realise how wasteful I am and how much shit I buy.

 

If we want to move, we're going to need money for solicitors and agent fees so I need to get better with my money so I can put more away each month. I'm thinking of adding an extra goal this challenge to tackle my spending.

This might involve a ban on race entries for a while! :(

  • Sad 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Anyway, because of this, I've had to print out bank statements to take with us tomorrow. I'm pretty shitty when it comes to monitoring my bank statements. I tend to just check my balance and the last few transactions in case of fraud. Printing them out made me realise how wasteful I am and how much shit I buy.

I had this realisation a month or so ago too. And it was things like 'wow do I really spend £40 a month on nothing but coffee out?' and I'm now in a place where I need to save money and it's really hard to justify the crap. 

 

10 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

This might involve a ban on race entries for a while! :(

It also means that I'm not going to be running as many races next year as this year. Which is a shame but I think I'm going to focus on a few bigger races for my expensive OCR kick and then what things I can do cheaply and locally for the rest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

At 9am tomorrow we have an appointment with a mortgage broker to discuss re-mortgaging and hopefully releasing some equity so we can renew the leasehold on our flat.

Not that I'm asking for an explanation, but as a colonist (who is even an accountant!) this makes very little sense to me. Our mortgages apparently work very differently.

 

Just looking at where you're spending money is a huge step to taking control of it. Even if you're not setting specific goals you tend to self regulate when you see where the money is going. "Oh, I've already spent $30 on coffee this week (or whatever), maybe I shouldn't get another one today"

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now