• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

21 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Not that I'm asking for an explanation, but as a colonist (who is even an accountant!) this makes very little sense to me. Our mortgages apparently work very differently.

I feel like I should have all the answers because I once worked at an estate agents in CT (although TBF I just fixed their IT and made their network work properly) but I think the confusion is in the very confusing leasehold system in England and Wales. I'd Google that (leasehold) if you are curious because I don't understand it as much as i really should. 

7 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I had this realisation a month or so ago too. And it was things like 'wow do I really spend £40 a month on nothing but coffee out?' and I'm now in a place where I need to save money and it's really hard to justify the crap. 

My main issue is lunch food. My laziness is costing me a small fortune! And it is really just laziness. I'm a good cook. Most of the stuff I buy I can cook myself, very easily. I need to stop being an idiot and just start prepping food regularly, not just every now and then.

8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It also means that I'm not going to be running as many races next year as this year. Which is a shame but I think I'm going to focus on a few bigger races for my expensive OCR kick and then what things I can do cheaply and locally for the rest. 

I said this last year and ended up doing just as many! I still want to run races, so I'm going to take advantage of free places from marshaling where I can. I'm not running Nuts now, so I'll have a free place for Winter Nuts next year and I've put my name down for WAR in September so I'll get a free place for their April event. @Rhovaniel are you going to do WAR if you're not doing Blast?

6 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Not that I'm asking for an explanation, but as a colonist (who is even an accountant!) this makes very little sense to me. Our mortgages apparently work very differently.

I'm not going to pretend to understand it completely! Basically, we had the place valued last week and the value is at much more than we paid for it and the bank will loan based on the current property value. This means we can use this equity as the down payment on the new mortgage. The bigger down payment, the better the mortgage rate. And because we have a nice amount of equity, we can request some extra funds that we can then use to pay for an extension of the leasehold.

Not sure if you have leasehold and freehold? Leasehold is where you are essentially renting the plot of land that your property is built on. Flats and apartments are usually leasehold. Leasehold laws are really complicated so I won't go into it, but basically the more years left on your lease, the greater value on your property. Renewing our leasehold is going to be benefit us when we sell.

Now my brain hurts!

26 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Just looking at where you're spending money is a huge step to taking control of it. Even if you're not setting specific goals you tend to self regulate when you see where the money is going. "Oh, I've already spent $30 on coffee this week (or whatever), maybe I shouldn't get another one today"

I need to face up to it properly and do a spending breakdown. Maybe I'll do that when my head isn't spinning with interest rates and such!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I think the confusion is in the very confusing leasehold system in England and Wales. I'd Google that (leasehold) if you are curious because I don't understand it as much as i really should. 

Tell me about it! I've been reading up on it and it's so stupid! Thankfully a solicitor does most of the work. Which just means you spend months calling a solicitor to see if they've bothered to do what they were supposed to. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm not going to pretend to understand it completely! Basically, we had the place valued last week and the value is at much more than we paid for it and the bank will loan based on the current property value. This means we can use this equity as the down payment on the new mortgage. The bigger down payment, the better the mortgage rate. And because we have a nice amount of equity, we can request some extra funds that we can then use to pay for an extension of the leasehold. 

I was 100% with you right up until the bolded part. Then you explained leaseholds and I'm mostly with you.

As far as I know we don't really have leaseholds and freeholds, though there may be something like that in big cities that I just don't know about. The closest thing I know of is mobile home parks where you own the home but rent the land it's sitting on. With flats (condos) we have HOA's (homeowner associations) where everyone owning on the property paid dues that cover shared expenses (lawn care, building maintenance, etc). But there's no time period for the HOA, you just pay the dues and abide by their rules as long as you own the home.

6 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Late yesterday evening that I noticed I'd managed to sit in one position on the couch for over an hour without pain. Progress!

Sweet!  That's awesome!!

6 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

've got my second rehab run tonight.

woohoo!  Enjoy it!  Hope it's amazing!!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I said this last year and ended up doing just as many! I still want to run races, so I'm going to take advantage of free places from marshaling where I can. I'm not running Nuts now, so I'll have a free place for Winter Nuts next year and I've put my name down for WAR in September so I'll get a free place for their April event. @Rhovaniel are you going to do WAR if you're not doing Blast?

Yeah I'm certainly going to volunteer at the races where it makes sense for me to do so as well. Going all the way to Kent to volunteer at Nuclear does't really make sense when it costs almost as much to get there as the race but doing a day or two at Tough Mudder and/or Spartan would mean that I can essentially pay for the following years race. I'm actually very seriously considering deferring of the Scottish Beast too. The Holiday is already paid for and it would just mean I get a day to look around rather than race and I'll still race the Sprint on Sunday. The fact that I can pretty much just push the placement onto any race next year (there is a fee but it's not unreasonable) makes it tempting. It's also got at least as much to do with me being very worried about my injury and thinking that doing the two races is really stupid and of the two the Beast is more likely to cause problems. 

11 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

My main issue is lunch food. My laziness is costing me a small fortune! And it is really just laziness. I'm a good cook. Most of the stuff I buy I can cook myself, very easily. I need to stop being an idiot and just start prepping food regularly, not just every now and then.

The coffee expense is stupid because I get coffee at work and at home much cheaper. I brought a travel mug that I can throw in my bag so I have a cup of coffee for on the way to work. It's already more than paid for itself! I spend a good portion of my Sunday each week prepping breakfast and lunch for the week. That's really the only reason I don't eat out every day for lunch too. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

With flats (condos) we have HOA's (homeowner associations) where everyone owning on the property paid dues that cover shared expenses (lawn care, building maintenance, etc). But there's no time period for the HOA, you just pay the dues and abide by their rules as long as you own the home.

We have that too, we call it a service charge. Service charges in the UK are, well, for want of a better term, corrupt! I won't go into details as I'd rant forever, but basically a service company can charge a lot of money for very little and you have very little say in it. This is one of the reasons I'm never buying a leasehold property again!

29 minutes ago, Stribs said:

woohoo!  Enjoy it!  Hope it's amazing!!

Thanks! I think I will, as long as the rain calms down a little! I don't mind running in a little rain, but the showers have been quite heavy today.

30 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah I'm certainly going to volunteer at the races where it makes sense for me to do so as well. Going all the way to Kent to volunteer at Nuclear does't really make sense when it costs almost as much to get there as the race but doing a day or two at Tough Mudder and/or Spartan would mean that I can essentially pay for the following years race

I always find it odd that Nuclear have such a high volunteer rate and yet other races struggle to fill their spots. I guess it's the free Dryrobe offer! What about Summer Nuts? Are you going to volunteer there? 

34 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm actually very seriously considering deferring of the Scottish Beast too. The Holiday is already paid for and it would just mean I get a day to look around rather than race and I'll still race the Sprint on Sunday.

That actually sounds like a wise thing to do. I'd imagine it's going to be a very hilly race and you don't want to push your recovery back.

35 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

The coffee expense is stupid because I get coffee at work and at home much cheaper. I brought a travel mug that I can throw in my bag so I have a cup of coffee for on the way to work. It's already more than paid for itself! I spend a good portion of my Sunday each week prepping breakfast and lunch for the week. That's really the only reason I don't eat out every day for lunch too. 

Strangely, I've never had an issue with take out coffee. I grab one every now and then if needs must, but I tend not to like the black coffee served in most coffee shops. 

I need to get on the food prep train! Actually, first I need to start doing a regular food shop! I need to start doing online grocery shopping again!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

We have that too, we call it a service charge. Service charges in the UK are, well, for want of a better term, corrupt! I won't go into details as I'd rant forever, but basically a service company can charge a lot of money for very little and you have very little say in it. This is one of the reasons I'm never buying a leasehold property again!

A lot of people in the US hate HOA's too. They're also common in housing developments where it's individual properties and they can dictate things like what type of grass you grow and what color your front door is. My house is in an HOA but it's tiny (10 houses) and I'm not only on the board, but I'm the treasurer so I know exactly what my dues are paying for (and am very open with the other owners) and I don't mind being in this one. But I probably won't buy into another HOA in the future partially because they can be a pain and partially because they don't exist in the middle of nowhere which is where my next house will probably be :)

3 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I always find it odd that Nuclear have such a high volunteer rate and yet other races struggle to fill their spots. I guess it's the free Dryrobe offer! What about Summer Nuts? Are you going to volunteer there? 

Heck, now I want to volunteer for them :D

I actually had a dream a couple of nights ago where Hubs and I flew to the UK to do an OCR and I got to meet @Charlie_Quinn and @jonfirestar

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

What about Summer Nuts? Are you going to volunteer there? 

Actually I've not even thought about that. I was meant to be racing in a half marathon on the 2nd but that isn't happening any more so I really should think about it. What day were you volunteering?

12 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Strangely, I've never had an issue with take out coffee. I grab one every now and then if needs must, but I tend not to like the black coffee served in most coffee shops.

That's what makes it even more stupid. A number of years ago I'd go ahead and buy the kind of coffees I couldn't realistically make at home and that made more sense. Still stupid expensive but I've since transitioned onto just black coffee and that's all I get and there is just no reason for me to buy it when it's just to fill the 30 minute gap between  home and work and it's simply because of habit. 

16 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I need to get on the food prep train! Actually, first I need to start doing a regular food shop! I need to start doing online grocery shopping again!

My only problem is that I just end up doing the same stuff over and over again for months on end because I kind of don't want to put the energy into thinking about it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I actually had a dream a couple of nights ago where Hubs and I flew to the UK to do an OCR and I got to meet @Charlie_Quinn and @jonfirestar

Who knows, it could happen. You could do a vacation that just happens to include a race on the last weekend ;)  It is unlikely to happen in 2018/2019 but some point in the future I will be heading across the pond and running an OCR over there (probably somewhere on the east coast your country is way too big to realistically get everyone to come along, unlike if you were to come here.  We could gather up quite the crowd of Nerds ;) just sayin ) 

30 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Actually I've not even thought about that. I was meant to be racing in a half marathon on the 2nd but that isn't happening any more so I really should think about it. What day were you volunteering?

I'm definitely volunteering Saturday. Now I'm not running on Sunday I may do both days as Stu is running Sunday anyway. The Sunday is a long day though, because you have the 4 lappers, you have to start at 6am and you could be there till 4 ish.

46 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Now I want to volunteer for them :D

26 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Who knows, it could happen. You could do a vacation that just happens to include a race on the last weekend ;)  It is unlikely to happen in 2018/2019 but some point in the future I will be heading across the pond and running an OCR over there (probably somewhere on the east coast your country is way too big to realistically get everyone to come along, unlike if you were to come here.  We could gather up quite the crowd of Nerds ;) just sayin ) 

What he said! From about April-July, you're pretty much guaranteed to have an OCR on every weekend somewhere in the UK. We could make something work in the near future.

I really want to come to the states to do Savage Race. It looks like the US race that's the most similar to Nuclear. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm definitely volunteering Saturday. Now I'm not running on Sunday I may do both days as Stu is running Sunday anyway. The Sunday is a long day though, because you have the 4 lappers, you have to start at 6am and you could be there till 4 ish.

I had a quick look and it looks like they are only looking for people for Sunday now. It is a long day. 630 am to 4pm. I don’t think I can even get to Dorking for 630 on a Sunday so I guess I am not doing that one!

5 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I had a quick look and it looks like they are only looking for people for Sunday now. It is a long day. 630 am to 4pm. I don’t think I can even get to Dorking for 630 on a Sunday so I guess I am not doing that one!

If you drop them an email they'll probably put you on a reserve list. They always have loads of people pull out nearer the time. Most of the time people just don't show up and they're left short handed on the day. With the nice weather we've been having, the latter is likey. They were about 20 people short when I volunteered last year.

Thanks for the reminder about volunteering, sometimes it is something I don't even think about.  I just looked and there is a four hour shift the evening before my race that will save me my most expensive race fee of the year. :)

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Thanks for the reminder about volunteering, sometimes it is something I don't even think about.  I just looked and there is a four hour shift the evening before my race that will save me my most expensive race fee of the year. :)

Awesome! It's a great way to save cash and give a little something back to the OCR community. 

Hiking up hills makes sense because as far as I can understand hill repeats are not for the speed but for the endurance, and you get a lot more work on that with hiking than running up them with a lot less impact on your feet.

• Like 2

On 8/10/2018 at 10:16 AM, Charlie_Quinn said:

Printing them out made me realise how wasteful I am and how much shit I buy

I feel this so hard!!  I do so much better when I have cash because it is physically leaving my hands.  The card is like the magic unending money vat.

• Like 1

On 8/11/2018 at 2:32 PM, Echoceanic said:

Hiking up hills makes sense because as far as I can understand hill repeats are not for the speed but for the endurance, and you get a lot more work on that with hiking than running up them with a lot less impact on your feet.

The plan I was following had sessions that combined hill work with speed work. It was intense. Probably a little too intense. I don't think I'll be repeating those workouts again. Instead, I'll take the approach you've mentioned and work on the endurance and not the speed of hill climbing. 

On 8/11/2018 at 7:31 PM, Salinger said:

How you doing today Charlie?Xx

I'm 2 days late in replying, but I'm fine thanks. Just the usual monthly visit from Aunt Flo causing the usual crappy feelings! :D

On 8/11/2018 at 9:05 PM, Stribs said:

I feel this so hard!!  I do so much better when I have cash because it is physically leaving my hands.  The card is like the magic unending money vat.

^^ THIS! And contactless payments make it even easier to spend. It's insane how quickly all those little debit card taps add up!

• Like 1

WEEKEND WRAP UP

This weekend was OK. I did my second rehab run on Friday and it went really well. No stiffness this time and no pain afterwards.

We had our meeting with the mortgage broker on Saturday morning and have applied for a new mortgage with additional funds to pay for the leasehold extension. They managed to find a mortgage with a very low exit fee so if we do sell before the fixed rate expires, it won't cost us the earth to switch. So that's a weight off of my mind. 

Grocery shopping was done on Saturday and so was food prep! So that should save me some money on lunches this week. Sunday was supposed to be a run that I booked before my injury. @Rhovaniel took my place so I went along to support her and Stu. It seemed like a really nice course, flat and off-road so perfect for a half marathon or longer. I'm definitely going to do one of their runs in the future when I'm back to full strength. Maybe their Christmas Elf run!

Stupid Sexy Flanders (Rehab the butt)

I did most of my exercises but I missed a few on Sunday evening. Not the end of the world, I just need to make sure this isn't a reoccurring thing

"Overshoot the Extreme! Max the Envelope! And so on"

i. Strength Train 2-3 times a week

Nope. I hit 2 sessions so that's OK

ii. Pull ups

I did the odd pull up here and there over the weekend, but no dedicated pull up training. Which is OK. Some is better than none.

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Sunday was supposed to be a run that I booked before my injury. @Rhovaniel took my place so I went along to support her and Stu. It seemed like a really nice course, flat and off-road so perfect for a half marathon or longer.

Sorry I didn't come down to see you guys :( 

The park they held that race is the same one where my local ParkRun is held although I've no idea if they used the same route exactly there aren't really all that many options for a 5k loop! 

20 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I did most of my exercises but I missed a few on Sunday evening. Not the end of the world, I just need to make sure this isn't a reoccurring thing

Stupid rehab exercises get old fast! I'm kind of gritting my teeth and grinding my way through them. It takes about 10 minutes. It's not a big deal but but... ugh! 

19 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Sorry I didn't come down to see you guys :( 

No worries! I did think about messaging you but I didn't want you to feel pressured to come if you didn't feel like it. 

19 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

The park they held that race is the same one where my local ParkRun is held although I've no idea if they used the same route exactly there aren't really all that many options for a 5k loop! 

I just looked at the map for that parkrun. It looks like they used part of the parkrun route, but parkrun does 2 loops of part of the route from Sunday. The run on Sunday went a bit further along the Thames before turning back around

26 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Stupid rehab exercises get old fast! I'm kind of gritting my teeth and grinding my way through them. It takes about 10 minutes. It's not a big deal but but... ugh! 

It's getting really boring. They don't take long, but some of them are tricky to do if I'm not at home. At the end of the day, as long as I don't skip whole days or start dropping exercises completely, I'm not going to impair my rehab by missing the odd set. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

No worries! I did think about messaging you but I didn't want you to feel pressured to come if you didn't feel like it. 

Yeah it was partly because I slept in quite late and partly because I was being very anti-social by Sunday. I kind of regret not coming out. I pretty much only live across the river from that park (the river is in the way so it's a lot longer to actually get there :) ) 

14 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I just looked at the map for that parkrun. It looks like they used part of the parkrun route, but parkrun does 2 loops of part of the route from Sunday. The run on Sunday went a bit further along the Thames before turning back around

Despite not doing parkRun I have run around there a fair bit and I think I have an idea of the route. The Round Reading 50k/100k race starts at there too, just sayin. 

18 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It's getting really boring. They don't take long, but some of them are tricky to do if I'm not at home. At the end of the day, as long as I don't skip whole days or start dropping exercises completely, I'm not going to impair my rehab by missing the odd set. 

Mine are just twice a day so before I leave for work in the morning and after work is simple enough. They feel like long sets and like it takes a lot longer than it actually does. I'm going to do my best not to miss any but no doubt the odd set will get missed here or there. 

• Like 1