• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

1 minute ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

And now I'm sick. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Oh no. What's wrong? 

On the bright side being sick while you are injured means you won't be missing out on much! 

23 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Oh no. What's wrong? 

I think it's just a cold, but it's a horrid one. Got the shivers, headache and sore throat. I'm taking the afternoon off so hopefully I'll feel better by tomorrow.

39 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

On the bright side being sick while you are injured means you won't be missing out on much! 

That's true! Although, I've had to reschedule my next rehab run twice now! 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I think it's just a cold, but it's a horrid one. Got the shivers, headache and sore throat. I'm taking the afternoon off so hopefully I'll feel better by tomorrow.

Shit, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you feel better. 

34 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

That's true! Although, I've had to reschedule my next rehab run twice now! 

Though annoying, a little extra rest isn't really going to do you any harm :) 

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 11:59 AM, jonfirestar said:

Shit, I'm sorry to hear that! I hope you feel better. 

On 8/14/2018 at 1:06 PM, Nymeria said:

I'm sorry about the injury, but it looks like you have a solid plan in place.  I hope you feel better soon!  

On 8/14/2018 at 3:21 PM, Stribs said:

Feel better soon! 

Thanks everyone. That cold knocked me out for a few days, but as of yesterday I started to feel less like a delirious, feverish mess wrapped in PJ's!

lisa simpson lizard queen GIF

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time for an update!

Stupid Sexy Flanders (Rehab the butt)

I've managed to stay on top of these while I was sick. The only thing I didn't do was the running, but that's probably a good thing!

"Overshoot the Extreme! Max the Envelope! And so on"

i. Strength Train 2-3 times a week

Yes! I felt well enough to do an easy-ish session yesterday. 

ii. Pull ups

I took a few days off, but I put a fair bit of assistance work and some pull ups into my strength training yesterday. And I'm seeing improvements! Which is nice.

I've got physio tonight with a running assessment. I'm weirdly looking forward to that, even though she may tell me I've been running wrong all this time! But if that's the case, at least I'll be able to put it right. She's also going to take me through a proper pre-run warm up routine. This should be fun!

I doubt I'll be arund much after today until Tuesday. I'm having a long weekend and I'm doing some fun things. Tomorrow, Stu and I are going to a local bakery for afternoon tea. I'm really looking forward to that as I've heard really good things about it. On Saturday evening we're meeting up with my brother and his wife at D20 gaming cafe for a few hours of games and drinks. That should be really fun too. Then the next 2 days may involve a trip to the PT Barn for their pay and play day or we might just chill out for a few days.

Monday is my birthday, so I'm tempted to just hide away for the day and pretend it's not happening!

homer simpson episode 20 GIF

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've got physio tonight with a running assessment. I'm weirdly looking forward to that, even though she may tell me I've been running wrong all this time! But if that's the case, at least I'll be able to put it right. She's also going to take me through a proper pre-run warm up routine. This should be fun!

If you are running all wrong better you know! Right? Can you let us know about the warm up? I know that something I neglect. I'm so slow I warm up as I run, right? 

3 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I doubt I'll be arund much after today until Tuesday. I'm having a long weekend and I'm doing some fun things.

Isn't it your birthday this weekend? 

4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Monday is my birthday, so I'm tempted to just hide away for the day and pretend it's not happening!

Oh right yeah :) right there with ya! Won't mention it again. Shame we couldn't get either of the plans we started to make for this weekend come together! I ended up cancelling my holiday to claw back some days :( But I hope you guys have fun! If I can make a small suggestion. Try and get any of the phone-calls you need to make done today so that you can relax and enjoy your long weekend. 

21 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

If you are running all wrong better you know! Right?

That's what I was thinking! The downside is that it's really hard to change your running style.

22 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Can you let us know about the warm up? I know that something I neglect. I'm so slow I warm up as I run, right? 

Of course I can. I'm terrible at it too. My mindset was always that I'm not going very fast so what's the point warming up. I was completely wrong of course! I'm never neglecting warming up again.

24 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Isn't it your birthday this weekend? 

25 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Oh right yeah :) right there with ya! Won't mention it again. Shame we couldn't get either of the plans we started to make for this weekend come together! I ended up cancelling my holiday to claw back some days :( But I hope you guys have fun! If I can make a small suggestion. Try and get any of the phone-calls you need to make done today so that you can relax and enjoy your long weekend. 

It's OK. I'm not completely freaking out about it. I was going to cancel the weekend off but then I realised I've not taken as much holiday time as I thought I had this year so I might as well take a long weekend. It's a shame we couldn't get the Belgium thing together. There's always next year.

That phone call I was stressing about? I've been advised to wait until the funds have been confirmed (when the mortgage gets approved) before calling the solicitors. The paperwork was sent today so it shouldn't be long until the approval comes though. That means I can stop stressing until next week.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

That's what I was thinking! The downside is that it's really hard to change your running style.

But the time to change it is when you are running very few miles! :) 

16 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Of course I can. I'm terrible at it too. My mindset was always that I'm not going very fast so what's the point warming up. I was completely wrong of course! I'm never neglecting warming up again.

Yeah this. No more neglecting warmups, or mobility for me. It was brought home all the more this morning because I thought I'd warmed up plenty before my run but I was still feeling a tad stiff for a few minutes. It felt fine by the end which means I just didn't warm up enough! 

20 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It's OK. I'm not completely freaking out about it. I was going to cancel the weekend off but then I realised I've not taken as much holiday time as I thought I had this year so I might as well take a long weekend. It's a shame we couldn't get the Belgium thing together. There's always next year.

Is it wrong that I am still sore about Barrel of Laps? Not that either of us is in any state to run on Saturday but everyone else could have run and we could have kept the beer tent warm! I'm glad you are not as stressed out! Have fun :) 

27 minutes ago, Salinger said:

Hope you feel better and better as the day goes on. And happy birthday for Monday. Enjoy the long weekend, you deserve it very much xxx

Thanks Lizz! I'm looking forward to a nice break.

14 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

It was brought home all the more this morning because I thought I'd warmed up plenty before my run but I was still feeling a tad stiff for a few minutes. It felt fine by the end which means I just didn't warm up enough! 

Funny you should say this. My first run back felt stiff too. When I emailed my physio with an update, I told her this and she asked if I'd warmed up. I told her I'd done a round of my exercises (as she suggested) and then walked for a minute. Her response was 'um, no. That's not a warm up!' Which is why she's taking me through a proper warm up routine tonight! I've got a feeling this is going to mean my runs are going to be a good 15 minutes longer from now on. But if that's what it takes to prevent injury, so be it.

18 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Is it wrong that I am still sore about Barrel of Laps? Not that either of us is in any state to run on Saturday but everyone else could have run and we could have kept the beer tent warm! I'm glad you are not as stressed out! Have fun

No, I wish they hadn't cancelled it. I really hope they bring it back. But yeah, I would have been a little gutted if it had happened and I couldn't run any laps!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Her response was 'um, no. That's not a warm up!'

Sounds like you and I have the same understanding of warm up :( I really thought that doing all my PT work (it's a good 10 minutes) and the 5 minute walk that preceded the run would be enough. 

27 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

No, I wish they hadn't cancelled it. I really hope they bring it back. But yeah, I would have been a little gutted if it had happened and I couldn't run any laps!

Yeah honestly I'd really be upset right now if I couldn't run it! I am upset that they cancelled it. It was just so much fun. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah honestly I'd really be upset right now if I couldn't run it! I am upset that they cancelled it. It was just so much fun. 

It was one the most laid back and fun races I've done. I think if they had marketed it a bit better they would have had a better turn out. I'm assuming the only reason they cancelled it was because the early ticket sales were bad. 

I'm really hoping my physio clears me for both Nuclear events tonight. If not, I'm going to lose money. I can only transfer to a 2018 event and I'm already signed up for Fallout. I can't even transfer to someone else as it's a season pass entry. :(

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

16 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It was one the most laid back and fun races I've done. I think if they had marketed it a bit better they would have had a better turn out. I'm assuming the only reason they cancelled it was because the early ticket sales were bad. 

I kind of think that part of the awesome atmosphere was because it was only a few hundred people because that was really missing at RRDW. The weather was no less miserable at BoL but we really had fun at the after party! I'm sure that it was low ticket sales on the early release and let's face it none of us had signed up yet. Although they do their teams wrong at RatRace, the fact that we could only sign up at once means that they are going to drive away ticket sales. 

58 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm really hoping my physio clears me for both Nuclear events tonight. If not, I'm going to lose money. I can only transfer to a 2018 event and I'm already signed up for Fallout. I can't even transfer to someone else as it's a season pass entry. :(

Yeah that sucks. Although doesn't transferring a race from a season ticket to a race within the same season sort of defeat the purpose of transferring? That said I'd have been very surprised if you could transfer it to next year because that's essentially the downside to season tickets. I really hope you get cleared. Make sure you promise to go easy and that you'll stop if you start feeling it! 

• Like 1

Sounds like you have a fun week and weekend plans. Happy Birthday (said quietly, in case you don't want to be reminded) and if you need to feel younger, know that I turned 53 on my birthday, and my son just turned 27:surprise:

• Like 2

I'm glad you're feeling better! 

Yes, please post what your physio recommends for a warm up, after your relaxing long weekend. :) Mine takes a good 12 minutes and it seems to help prevent issues but a professional would know best.

• Like 1

So I'm mostly caught up here and now I feel bad about bitching in my own about mortgages and stuff. House-buying here is such a different beast.

Feel better and have a great day that's not happening on Monday.

• Like 1

kind of think that part of the awesome atmosphere was because it was only a few hundred people because that was really missing at RRDW. The weather was no less miserable at BoL but we really had fun at the after party! I'm sure that it was low ticket sales on the early release and let's face it none of us had signed up yet. Although they do their teams wrong at RatRace, the fact that we could only sign up at once means that they are going to drive away ticket sales. 

The size did make it feel more relaxed. The live bands helped too. I get that dirty weekend likes to do the DJ thing, but I wish they did live bands instead.

Their team system is so stupid. I really don't get why they can't do what other races do. How hard can it be?!

Yeah that sucks. Although doesn't transferring a race from a season ticket to a race within the same season sort of defeat the purpose of transferring? That said I'd have been very surprised if you could transfer it to next year because that's essentially the downside to season tickets. I really hope you get cleared. Make sure you promise to go easy and that you'll stop if you start feeling it! 

And this is why I'm not buying season tickets for races anymore! But the good news is, I can do one of the races, maybe both if things are going OK, but I think I'd rather er on the side of caution. 

2 hours ago, Cheetah said:

I hope you don't have to miss your race, and that healing is rapid!

I probably only have to miss one. It seems like it has been quite rapid as I have a whole new bunch of exercises to do now!

2 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sounds like you have a fun week and weekend plans. Happy Birthday (said quietly, in case you don't want to be reminded) and if you need to feel younger, know that I turned 53 on my birthday, and my son just turned 27:surprise:

Thanks! The only thing making me feel old is the injuries. Other than that, I still feel like a spring chicken! Being immature has its up sides!

1 hour ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I'm glad you're feeling better! 

Yes, please post what your physio recommends for a warm up, after your relaxing long weekend. :) Mine takes a good 12 minutes and it seems to help prevent issues but a professional would know best.

1 hour ago, Salinger said:

id be interested in the warm up too. 

Good luck tonight! xx

I'll put the details in separate post below

1 hour ago, EricMN said:

So I'm mostly caught up here and now I feel bad about bitching in my own about mortgages and stuff. House-buying here is such a different beast.

Feel better and have a great day that's not happening on Monday.

Don't feel bad. It doesn't matter where you live, mortgage and house buying stuff is stressful! 

• Like 1

OK, physio stuff.

First off, warm up. It wasn't to complex really and most of the stuff she's suggested is things we do in BMF to warm up. 

She suggested skipping - as in skipping down the street, not jump rope - and adding in a twist at the hips. Then side stepping with some arm swings and finally backward running to engage the glutes. Finish off with some hip stretches and that was about it.

Then she had me running up and down the street while she recorded it. Bottom line, I'm too slow and I'm overstriding. This is causing my foot to be in contact with the floor for a long time and that is putting a lot of pressure on my hips and glutes.

For now, all she's got me doing is increasing my speed slightly and kicking my heels up higher. Once I started doing this and she showed me the video back, I could see the difference in my hips and my stride length. So from now on during my runs, I need to think about this and make sure I'm doing it until my muscle memory kicks in and I'm doing it naturally. It might take a few weeks to get there.

I'm allowed to start adding more load to my glutes now and have a light single leg dead lift to do as well as some other exercises. Oh, and I'm allowed back to BMF. Yay!

• Like 7