• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

8 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Me too. It's 2 weeks longer, but that's a good thing when recovering from injury. A lot of the C25K still have you walking a bit by the end of the plan.

Hm, the C25k plan I know of is 9 weeks long. But it has (slightly) more complicated progressions like "run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes - twice" which I think is part of my complaint. Actually, I think it's the same one Jon posted

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Hm, the C25k plan I know of is 9 weeks long. But it has (slightly) more complicated progressions like "run 1 minute, walk 1 minute, run 3 minutes, walk 3 minutes - twice" which I think is part of my complaint. Actually, I think it's the same one Jon posted

Ah OK. The ones Jon and I posted are the only ones I saw that are longer than 6 weeks. My physiotherapist had a long rant about the problems with short plans, so 8-9 weeks seems like something she would approve of!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'd kill for 10 minute intervals right now! But yeah, I'm in no position to be doing 10 minutes at threshold pace! I'm sure it's going to suck when I get there too!

Running 10 minute intervals at 8:30 pace is really not my idea of fun but it is what I can do so I'm going to do it! TBH I'm much happier doing the 10 minute intervals than the 5 minute intervals. At least it feels like I'm doing something when I go out to run. 

I want to do a 5 mile run at the end of November, but if all I can manage is a fast-ish parkrun, I'll take it. I'm actually excited about going for a parkrun PB. It's about the only thing that's making me excited right now!

That's over 12 weeks away. You've at least got a fighting chance of making that happen and getting a faster 5 mile time than you ever thought possible! I am a little excited about the 5k PB, don't get me wrong. It is the goal right now but it's not nearly as exciting as, say, MvL or even a fast half marathon. 

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Ah OK. The ones Jon and I posted are the only ones I saw that are longer than 6 weeks. My physiotherapist had a long rant about the problems with short plans, so 8-9 weeks seems like something she would approve of!

Interestingly I've never seen one shorter than 8 weeks but I can't say I looked at many. Only this one and the Zombie Run 5k (which I think was 8 weeks). I ended up using the one I linked but I only followed it for 6 weeks before deciding I was going to run that 5k anyway. 8 weeks seems like quite a long time to build yourself back up to 5k but it should give you the time you need to get used to your new running style. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Interestingly I've never seen one shorter than 8 weeks but I can't say I looked at many. Only this one and the Zombie Run 5k (which I think was 8 weeks). I ended up using the one I linked but I only followed it for 6 weeks before deciding I was going to run that 5k anyway. 8 weeks seems like quite a long time to build yourself back up to 5k but it should give you the time you need to get used to your new running style. 

I didn't look at many either, but the ones I did seemed really short. Really, all I'm looking for is some structure to my training over the next few weeks. Things tend to go to hell if I'm left to my own devices! 

18 hours ago, Salinger said:

Hope you are doing well CQ, will catch up as soon as poss ! x

I'm doing OK thanks. I'm kind of just zombie-ing my way through things lately, but other than that, I'm good.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I didn't look at many either, but the ones I did seemed really short. Really, all I'm looking for is some structure to my training over the next few weeks. Things tend to go to hell if I'm left to my own devices! 

Yeah I think it's a really good idea. It basically gives you a laid out structure to do what your trying to do by yourself.  

5 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I'm doing OK thanks. I'm kind of just zombie-ing my way through things lately, but other than that, I'm good.

With a shift of perspective it is actually really positive. By zombie-ing your way through things what you are saying is that you are doing the things you want to do. You are hitting your runs, hitting your strength work but you are doing that because it has become the ingrained habit rather than something you are trying to force on yourself. That is real positive progress. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

With a shift of perspective it is actually really positive. By zombie-ing your way through things what you are saying is that you are doing the things you want to do. You are hitting your runs, hitting your strength work but you are doing that because it has become the ingrained habit rather than something you are trying to force on yourself. That is real positive progress. 

It's good from that perspective, but I'm also feeling a bit like an emotional zombie. I'm struggling to find joy in things lately. I'm sure it's mostly because I'm tired. My sleep pattern hasn't been great lately.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

It's good from that perspective, but I'm also feeling a bit like an emotional zombie. I'm struggling to find joy in things lately. I'm sure it's mostly because I'm tired. My sleep pattern hasn't been great lately.

:) me too but in my case I think it's mostly stress. I'm just trying to put a positive spin on it and when you think about it it is positive. You are feeling like an emotional zombie but you are still getting your workouts in. That's nothing to be sniffed at, really. For either of us! 

Are you going to BMF tonight?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

:) me too but in my case I think it's mostly stress. I'm just trying to put a positive spin on it and when you think about it it is positive. You are feeling like an emotional zombie but you are still getting your workouts in. That's nothing to be sniffed at, really. For either of us! 

True. I mean, i could just be sitting on my butt binge watching Netflix but I'm doing my runs and lifting instead. I am looking forward to marshaling Nuts this weekend and getting to hang out with @Rhovaniel. That might pick my spirits up a little!

4 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Are you going to BMF tonight?

BMF is Thursdays. I'm going to run tonight. 

I actually had to check what day it is today as I suddenly thought it was Thursday! :D

• Like 1

Just now, Charlie_Quinn said:

BMF is Thursdays. I'm going to run tonight. 

I actually had to check what day it is today as I suddenly thought it was Thursday! :D

Hmm facepalms aren't enough. When I wrote that I honestly thought it was Thursday :D 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

Hmm facepalms aren't enough. When I wrote that I honestly thought it was Thursday :D 

Blame the bank holiday. Although that would probably make you think it's Tuesday.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

Blame the bank holiday. Although that would probably make you think it's Tuesday.

I want to blame lack of sleep but I’ve been sleeping relatively well. I’ll just blame the bank holiday and my current funk. 

tired homer simpson GIF

My plan to run last night was thwarted by my tiredness. I got in from work and thought 'I'll just lie here for a few minutes'. I'm sure you can guess what happened next! The good news is I feel so much better today. I did a make up run at lunchtime, so really, I haven't missed anything. I just need to do my physio strengthening exercises before we go out later. 

We're going to a wedding reception tonight for one of Stu's work friends. I won't know many people there so at first I said I wasn't going to go along, but I remembered that cutting myself off socially isn't good for me. One of these day's I'll get used to this not listening to my anxiety thing! The only problem is, I have no idea what to wear! What do you wear to a mid week wedding reception in a country pub? 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

What do you wear

Wear what you would wear to a country pub if you thought there was a chance that someone from your past whom you wanted to impress might show up, but still something comfortable in case they're not there and it's just a night in a pub.  Does that clear it up?

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Wear what you would wear to a country pub if you thought there was a chance that someone from your past whom you wanted to impress might show up, but still something comfortable in case they're not there and it's just a night in a pub.  Does that clear it up?

Strangely, yes! Maybe I should use this as a rule of thumb for all events from now on! Although I can't think of anyone from my past that I would want to impress, so maybe I'll substitute that part with 'Tom Hiddleston might show up' :D

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night was a good night. There were more people there that I knew than I thought there would be, which made me feel a little more comfortable and despite being charged £5 for a bottle of Old Speckled Hen, I had a good time. I'd had a bit of a battle with myself while I was getting ready as I struggled to find something nice that I felt comfortable in. The lack of running and BMF over the last few weeks has meant I've put on a few pounds - not many, but enough for fitted dresses to feel a little tight - and I didn't want to spend all night feeling self-conscious about it. I very nearly backed out of going at the last minute, but I kept trying on stuff until I found a dress that I felt confident in. In doesn't sound like much of a win, but old me would have given in to the anxiety monster instead of standing up to it. 

Tonight I'll be getting stuff ready for this weekend. @Rhovaniel and I are marshaling at Summer Nuts on Saturday and Sunday and Stu is Marshaling Saturday and running Sunday. The weather is forecast to be nice so we should have a good time camping over. I'm looking forward to seeing Rho and some other OCR peeps over the weekend. It should be a good weekend. And I'll get two free race passes for next year!

• Like 5

Weekend Update

Homer Simpson Episode 13 GIF

The weekend was amazing. @Rhovaniel and I spent 2 days at the Nuts Challenge, marshaling and cheering on all the crazy runners. Saturday was a little boring for me as I was just placed at the top of a hill at the half way point. But I kept myself entertained with some music and chatted with the runners. Sunday was much better as we got posted at the commando section, which is a long section with about 15 obstacles crammed into it. It's immensely tiring for the runners so you have to be very positive and encouraging to keep their spirits up, especially as it's only about 2km into the course and they still have at least 5km of hell ahead of them! 

Watching the people doing multiple laps was amazing. There were some people doing 4 laps (28km) and some crazy people even managed to do 5 laps (35km)! It was really interesting to see how different people handled the distances as some people were still alert and smiling on lap 4 and yet some were broken zombies by lap 2. 

I shouted so much yesterday that I've completely lost my voice today, but I'm feeling more motivated than I have in a long time. I've now got 2 race codes for next year, so as soon as the dates arrive, I'm going to sign up for 2 laps of Winter Nuts and 3 laps of Summer. I'm not quite crazy enough to do 4 laps!

Stupid Sexy Flanders (Rehab the butt)

I didn't get much of this done over the weekend. I did do some of my rehab exercises on Saturday while I was standing around waiting for runners! But as I was on the move all weekend, I didn't get to stretch as much as I would have liked. 

But strangely, I didn't sit down from about 7:30am to maybe 3:30pm yesterday, and my glute and hip felt better than it has done in a long time. So in case you weren't aware, sitting is bad! 

"Overshoot the Extreme! Max the Envelope! And so on"

i. Strength Train 2-3 times a week

I didn't get much of this done last week and obviously none over the weekend. Excpet for when we were marshaling the rope swing as we had to use a long tree branch to push the ropes back to the runners and doing that really worked your arms, shoulders and core! My upper body is a little sore today!

ii. Pull ups

Nope. I actually looked around for a tree to do these on while I was standing around on Saturday, but there weren't any that would take my weight. 

• Like 8

Challenge Wrap Up

Frustrated Homer Simpson GIF

Angry Homer Simpson GIF

This challenge died a death last week as work and life got a little busy and I didn't have the time or the motivation to post. 

I may have lost sight of my goals for the last half of this challenge, but managed to keep up with my running and lifting and that meant that I was able to take part in 2 races this weekend.

I was only planning on doing the night-time (blackout) race but at the last minute (the night before) I decided to do both the morning (blast) and night races. I only did 1 lap (5km) and walked a lot of the course but when I ran, I made sure to run at a faster pace than usual. I skipped any obstacles that might have caused me issues with my glutes. After the morning race, I foam rolled and stretched and then rested until the evening race and managed to complete 1 5km lap. Doing an OCR in the dark is an interesting experience! 

My time for blast was 1:14:31 and Blackout was 1:15:31, so only 1 minute slower in the dark! I'm happy with these times as it usually takes over an hour for me to do 5km in an OCR that is obstacle heavy and it felt like I walked alot, so I wasn't far off my usual pace overall.

I'm probably going to take a break from next challenge as I've got a lot going on and I don't think I'm going to be able to keep up with posting. So I think it's best I take a break and come back when I know I can stick with it. But I'll try and pop in when I can to keep up with people.

• Like 3