• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mike Wazowski

Mike Wazowski: Year 1 in Hogwarts Castle

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 1:04 PM, MikeW said:

Ahh ya, I could see that - it's a devilish little hip twist - seems bigger but actually just a half turn, but OMG it looks so cool when done well. And yes, I do not envy you followers during patty cakes - so many precise direction changes!

I think it's just because it's such a quick turn! If it were over a full count I think I'd be OK but trying to turn so sharply I just can't stop myself haha.  I find it comical.

YES! Idk if it's true everywhere, but some studios do really well with student camaraderie - Brooklyn Dancesport Club by you is amazing in that for sure - I felt like I was surrounded by family the one time I was there.

Aww I love that! My studio is definitely the same - honestly I ever would have gotten into ballroom if it weren't for that feeling. I was actually going to start taking adult ballet classes instead but I just got sucked into the welcoming environment.

Ya, only a few months in - it's mostly that it'd really suck for her, but wouldn't be the biggest blow for me - there aren't actually a ton of open leads in the area, and I'm definitely higher skill and more schedule flexible than her next best option.

That is tough.  I mean, you've gotta do what's right for you though right?

Nah, I already know what I need to - he's super smart, motivated to incorporate new info, and we can communicate well between each other about when things aren't working well - as long as he's got a drive to compete (or a willingness to compete and train hard, even if it's fueled by something other than competitive drive), we're set. It's really just the internal discernment, plus maintaining my current status quo for as long as it makes sense because I'll get even more partnered training time than I would if I made a choice ASAP. He and I agreed we want to learn how to make syllabus Latin look competitive AF so we've got a project to work toward there as well, which is awesome (I'd love to actually put closed syllabus on the floor against open choreography and win - I know it's doable and it embodies what I love about dancing).

That's awesome that you both have a goal that you agree on to work towards already! It sounds like you've pretty much  made up your mind on this but just don't know how to move forward with the plan? It all sounds really exciting though - I feel like I can hear through the internet how much you know you two can totally kill it which is so amazing. Also doing a closed routine up against an open one sounds super freakin' cool.  I have extremely limited experience in anything at all relating to this but from what I've seen syllabus well looks just as good as open.  Sometimes I think some of it looks more polished actually.

TBD - it depends on if I get to a point where either A) I've achieved everything I can or want to as an amateur or B - have a partnering option that pulls me into pros.

Fair enough - just wondering if it was something on your radar/eventual goals or just kind of hanging out there as a maybe but no necessarily a gotta-do-it-or-my-life-won't-be-complete thing. :D

I hear you there! I think the new people are the part I don't love about social dancing, but I LOVE doing lead/follow with my same-sex partner (or at least lead-follow rumba, we've gotten to a point where we slowly have learned how to dance most of the syllabus variations together as lead/follow, including 3 separate aida endings). Dancing with total strangers is still a little nerve wracking sometimes, but I want to start social dancing more to de-sensitize to it (really, I just want to dance all the time and social dancing is a way to just add more to the total dancing time).

I can definitely social dance well with the couple of people I dance with regularly - I think I end up picking up on more than just the regular strict leading cues from them because I know them so well at this point (almost like body language tells or something) and with strangers it's all just the by the book leads I have to look out for.  Also sometimes I get a little (read: a lot) back-leady in social dance and am sure I can be not the easiest to lead a lot of the time so I don't think that helps hahah.

really, I just want to dance all the time and social dancing is a way to just add more to the total dancing time

Hahah this is basically how I feel.  It's not my favourite but it's better than not dancing soooooo I'm totally here for it.  I am debating joining another performance/formation team in my studio that does styles I don't even like just so I can squeeze some more in.  XD

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 3:09 PM, Mad Hatter said:

I have to say I love social dancing, dancing with new people is exciting! Especially when a dance totally clicks and you find an instant connection, it’s very rare but it makes it oh so special and magical!

This has never happened to me - I think if it did I would definitely feel this way though.  It probably has never happened to me because I've only danced with new people in a social setting like three total times though so there hasn't been much opportunity.

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 8:10 AM, Gemma said:

We took shag lessons once, and after the first session he told me he could not handle being expected to partner "dozens of women I don't even know." Shag isn't choreographed or called, so you have to develop some level of lead/follow communication, so it feels more intimate? That's my best guess, anyway, why one makes him uncomfortable and the other doesn't. 

Oooh I used to take shag lessons with my grandfather when I was tiny! I had completely forgotten about that, this brings me back wow.  Is there no lead/follow in contra? How do you know what to do?

16 hours ago, Raxie said:

Oooh I used to take shag lessons with my grandfather when I was tiny! I had completely forgotten about that, this brings me back wow.  Is there no lead/follow in contra? How do you know what to do?

Contra is a weird hybrid of English country dances and American square dancing - it is called, like square dancing, but using figures and movements from the English dances you have seen at the "balls" if you've ever watched a Jane Austen adaptation of any sort. 

1 hour ago, Gemma said:

Contra is a weird hybrid of English country dances and American square dancing - it is called, like square dancing, but using figures and movements from the English dances you have seen at the "balls" if you've ever watched a Jane Austen adaptation of any sort. 

Ooooh. I associated it with those ball type movements which is why I figured there must be some lead/follow I didn't realize it was called. That's really cool! But yeah, leading and following with someone you don't want to can be weird/difficult/unenjoyable so I can see where your husband's coming from. It definitely requires some sort of connection and paying attention to each other at the very least haha