My name is Rob. I'm 25, from NJ and have been a reader of Nerd Fitness for a few months now and love the site. I'm 6'1" and weigh in at about 180. About a year ago I weighed 210 but lost 30 lbs by eating a little better, exercising a little more and drinking less beer. I'm not in the best of shape but am looking to make a change for the better. Also found out at the beginning of the week that I'm diabetic and now have to drastically change my diet. I now have to eat lots of lean meats, plenty of vegetables and very closely monitor my carbs (and no more beer! :( ) I'm still adjusting to the new diet, but fortunately I can cook fairly well and can get creative with ingredients so at least there's some variety.

I enjoy the great outdoors, especially fishing, camping and hiking. I decided to join the rebellion to learn more about nutrition and its effects and to learn some varied fitness routines to help keep my disease in check.

I look forward to seeing everyone on the forums.

Welcome to the Rebellion! I know a lot of us here are Paleo eaters, and it is definitely a low carb lifestyle. There are many success stories on Mark's Daily Apple of people who see their symptoms of diabetes basically eliminated by eating this way (plus exercising and other positive lifestyle changes). I have been eating this way since late April, and it is really easy to follow. Lots of veggies and good protein sources with every meal. The hardest thing is dropping grains. I was used to eating bread, rice, and oatmeal, but now I almost never miss them. I hope that you can achieve your goals, and this is a great group, so if you need anything let us know.