• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Grymm

The Return of the Grymm

Howdy all, summer of 2016 here!  Anyway, I wanted to get a challenge up this go around, and I found I was wasting time trying to match fonts on a "Return of the Jedi" banner.  So, instead, I'm just going to throw the challenge up and worry about the finishing touches later.  It's a simple challenge basically just to keep me on target the next 4-5 weeks.

1.  Lift the weights.  I've been pretty consistent the last few months, but it's been more exercise than work.  I've acquired a workout partner which is good for compliance, but I probably should have been lifting heavier.  We've diverged enough on the lifts now that it shouldn't be a problem anymore.  3 days a week and start looking at what program I want to swap to in maybe October.

2.  Log food.  I eat better when I have to log it.  Technically, I should probably be eating a little bit more carbs and actually less protein, but I'm just going to stick to about 200g P and 2200 cal.  I need to slowly shave off some weight.  (as always)

3.  Save some money - I've done Miami, Vegas, and a wedding in the last month as well as covered the bill to move my mom to her new place.  The bank account is feeling it. 

4.   Stick with it - Stay on or about the forums, keep the challenge thread up to date, and chime in here and there elsewhere.

And there we have it - first challenge in 2 years. 

• Like 7

3 hours ago, RedStone said:

GRYYYYYYYYMMMMMM!!!!!!

(hai)

Gryyyyyymmmm?  I know him!

Heyo, little buddy!

Round 1 of work in, starting to get into form.

S: 5x45, 95, 135, 175, 215, 3x5x230

P: 5x45, 75, 95, 3x5x115

D: 5x185, 225, 255

Logged the food, didn't buy a Ferrari.  About as good as a Monday gets.

Edit:  I also mowed the lawn!  Go me!

• Like 2

A couple more days in the bag.  Softball was rained out at the last second yesterday so that was a bummer.  

Second workout of the week in the books:

S: 5x45, 95, 135, 3x185, 215, 5x3x235

B: 5x45, 95, 135, 155, 5x3x175

R: 3x5x175

RDL: 3x5x175 - threw these on for a little more grip/pull work

I've logged food yesterday and today - actually trending pretty consistently.  Got the belt to hole 4 and didn't struggle to get out of it.  It would be awkward to live a long period of time wearing a 13mm 4" belt everywhere.  

• Like 3

As I sit here cramming chicken and broccoli into my face, I shall make an update:

Track the foods - I've actually been very consistent this week as far as calories.  2123 2279 2211 2347 1976 2152 over the last 6 days.  Unsurprisingly, I'm well into the 4th belt notch and starting to lose weight.  Just need to keep it on the rails over the weekend.

Do the lifts - 3rd session of the week tonight.

S: 5x45, 95, 135, 3x185, 3x225, 3x5x240

Actually rounded a little on my first or second rep at 240.  I'll be feeling that tomorrow, but just slowed down, reset, and had better form from then out.  This tends to happen when I descend too fast.

P: 5x45, 5x95, 5x115, 3x5x120

A little drama here.  My workout partner swears we did 4 sets at 120.  We were talking and I didn't write it down.  If I didn't write it down, did it really happen?  It may have factually been (4) sets but my feels say it was (3).  Suck it up, buttercup.  Volume breeds gainz.

D: 5x185, 5x215, 5x235, 5x265

I tried to get my workout partner to start a challenge thread (we'll call him Vlad), but he was not about it.    

We have all lost track of sets. I swear when I used to do 5 am lifting the two hardest parts was keeping track of sets and figuring out what plates I needed to hit a certain total weight.

Math be a harsh mistress

On 8/6/2018 at 3:00 PM, Grymm said:

I found I was wasting time trying to match fonts on a "Return of the Jedi" banner.

What!?! That is NEVER a waste of time!

I have no idea who you are, but welcome back! :)

On 8/11/2018 at 12:18 PM, jenglish said:

We have all lost track of sets. I swear when I used to do 5 am lifting the two hardest parts was keeping track of sets and figuring out what plates I needed to hit a certain total weight.

Yup... I literally have a ye-olde-abacus in my gym to keep track of sets...

• Like 1

I think the set counter and timer on the StrongLifts app probably helped seal the deal for that versus SS. 

Although later injuring tendons on power cleans has also made me more of a proponent of SL

I maintain that it was three sets.  I write every set down in a composition book after it's complete.  My training partner regularly does 7 reps on sets of five.  Were this to go to court, I like my chances.  

Zero week went pretty well. 

Did the lifts.  Tracked the food.  Financial situation seems to have stabilized, and I'm not homeless.  Lastly, I'm still here chiming in and making updates.  4 for 4.

I will say the zero week weekend was not the shining specter of excellence it could be.  Food quality was mediocre, but quantity was in check.  It rained both days.  Went out to a bar Saturday night to see a friend who has started singing with a band.  That was fun.  I don't get out as much as I used to (which is probably a good thing). 

I do have an upcoming hurdle.  I have softball games Tuesday and Wednesday next week (Wednesday is a make up).  Wednesday is also a lifting day so I'm going to have to lift after softball.  Softball isn't super intensive, but it does mean the earliest I can start is ~8:30.  Probably going to hurt the sleep schedule.  But what are going to do, not train?  At least I don't get up particularly early for work (8:30).

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, GodzillaKong said:

I'd lose track of reps and sets. Doing 5x5.

facepalm.gif

Math+burns.png

That's why I note every set in my workout app so I don't haven to remember anything.

28 minutes ago, CourtnieMarie said:

good luck with the new schedule! no way to plan for lifting a different day?

There are only so many days in a week.  I need a rest day in between, and I already moved my DnD group to Thursdays to account for Softball.  That means I need to lift either Tuesday (if I shift Monday to Sunday) or Wednesday.  I'm getting close to needing to go a little lighter on squats mid-week so maybe that'll be the start of that - shave 10-15% off and do 5 sets instead.

I could also lift in the morning. Lifting in the morning is impossible.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Grymm said:

Lifting in the morning is impossible.

LIfting in the morning is a different beast than lifting in the afternoon. WIth your low rep high weight scheme, I wouldn't lift in the morning, but if you have a volume day or a HIIT day it might be a good change of pace.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Grumble said:

LIfting in the morning is a different beast than lifting in the afternoon. WIth your low rep high weight scheme, I wouldn't lift in the morning, but if you have a volume day or a HIIT day it might be a good change of pace.

I'm pretty sure if I tried to lift at 7 am, I'd violate space time and actually lift at 1 pm in Poland.  I do not speak Polish.

• Haha 3

Workout:

S: 5x45, 95, 135, 3x185, 225, 3x5x245

B: 5x45, 95, 135, 165, 3x5x180

R: 3x5x180

RDL: 3x5x180 plus a 15 second hold at the end

Having had 2 days off from Friday, squats were easier than Friday.  My training partner is switching to supinated grip on rows.  I tried one set, and my forearms were like nope nope nope.  I should probably keep mixing it in as over time it'll become more tolerable.  It may be necessary if I ever want to use alternating deadlift grip or do chin ups. 

I made some chicken noodle soup casserole which came out pretty solid.  That's good because I made enough for 6 meals.  I also downloaded the Bridge 1.0 from BBM today to check out a prospective next program.  

Also, sometimes I wonder which nerd is most like me.

Revenge-of-the-Nerds-1984-Movie-Poster-7

I'm kind of feeling Poindexter.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Welcome back from me too! I don't enjoy lifting (or exercising in general) in the morning as well but it's for sure nice to have it out of the way and carry that relaxed mindset through the entire day.. okay, admittedly sometimes I'm grumpy all day afterwards but only sometimes..

6 hours ago, Grymm said:

My training partner is switching to supinated grip on rows.  I tried one set, and my forearms were like nope nope nope.  I should probably keep mixing it in as over time it'll become more tolerable. 

What I tend to do for this is treat them as different exercises. So I might do a heavy 5 x 5 of normal rows and then do a lighter 3 x 8 with a supinated grip. The good thing with the supinated grip is the extra bicep work...

i lift in the morning but it took paying for a month of crossfit and only being able to go to the early morning classes to get into that habit. pre-workout also helps.

chicken noodle soup casserole eh?? tell me more!

10 hours ago, Pyralis said:

Welcome back from me too! I don't enjoy lifting (or exercising in general) in the morning as well but it's for sure nice to have it out of the way and carry that relaxed mindset through the entire day.. okay, admittedly sometimes I'm grumpy all day afterwards but only sometimes..

When I started lifting, I did the first month in the mornings as a challenge.  Frankly, it's just against my nature to go to bed a 9pm and wake up at 5am.  I can still sleep until noon on the weekends like a teenager.  My mental peak for the day is probably about 8-10pm.

5 hours ago, Blocky said:

What I tend to do for this is treat them as different exercises. So I might do a heavy 5 x 5 of normal rows and then do a lighter 3 x 8 with a supinated grip. The good thing with the supinated grip is the extra bicep work...

The weight was actually fine.  In fact, they might have been a little easier.  My hands are just not used to being turned out to that degree.  It's the same discomfort with chin ups.  I'm sure if I kept at it a couple weeks, I'd adapt.  It's not horrific.

4 hours ago, RollingStoney said:

I also will not lift in the morning if I can help it. Lifting before work only happens for me if I start work at 2pm. Like tomorrow. xD

If I took a day off from work or if we lift on weekends, I may work out as early as 3pm.  I'll get up and run errands, but the mental arousal needed to put in real effort is best achieved after lunch.  Up until a couple years ago, I was still playing flag football on weekend mornings, but I think the group nature of that helped.

2 hours ago, CourtnieMarie said:

i lift in the morning but it took paying for a month of crossfit and only being able to go to the early morning classes to get into that habit. pre-workout also helps.

chicken noodle soup casserole eh?? tell me more!

Reference:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/recipes/a49067/chicken-noodle-soup-casserole-recipe/

I modified/clarified it a little:

1.  I made a double batch to double all ingredients.

2.  I pressure cooked 2.5# of chicken breast cut into chunks (cross grain) in a can of chicken broth and some salt for 15min on high.  I then shredded it with a fork and discarded the broth.  2c of chicken is just not enough protein.  Were I to make it again, I might up the chicken a bit.

3.  I replaced the diced vegetables with (2) 12oz packages of frozen mirepoix (same vegetables already diced) and added 8oz of chopped broccoli because I had that left over.  Also, I tend to put broccoli in everything.

4.  Disregard the parsley.  I don't garnish.

This fills a large aluminum roasting pan to the top.  Baked it on convection for 20min.  If broken into 6 servings (if you eat like I do): 790c, 102carb, 18f, 54prot.  I needed a higher carb dinner as I continually underrun my carb macros by a lot.  My meals tend to be split something like breakfast 400/lunch 800/dinner 800 so this works out well.  Again, next run I might try to get the protein up around 70-75g per serving.

• Like 2