• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Tateman

Tateman: The Pain Train is comin', baby! Woo! Woo!

tDbvVIA.gif

Back for another challenge!  This challenge, I am going to add in some actual fitness into my goals, so I know the Pain Train will be coming for me. Those DOMS will be killer. Still, I know I need to get more going in my fitness if I ever want to get to my fitness goals. ;)

Spoiler
  • Run another official 5k race (eventually other distances too)
  • Run the St. Louis Cardinals 6k race
  • Run the Spartan Stadium Series in Busch Stadium, St. Louis, MO
  • Run in Obstacle races (Spartan, Tough Mudder, Etc)
  • Join the 1,000 pounds lifted club (deadlift, bench press, squats)
  • Run a mile in under 9 minutes
  • Run a mile in under 7 minutes
  • Do a pull up. (Yup, just one)
  • Go out for a hike

I also have weight loss goals, but that is really going to be a side effect of how I do with all my other goals. I want to get to the 100 lbs gone mark before my birthday (November 2nd). This means first goal is to drop 17 more pounds. 2nd goal is to reach the 250 mark before the end of the year. It might be tough with holidays coming in a few months, but I believe I can do it. 253 lbs is the lightest recorded weight I have. I was 225 pretty much all of my middle school years like 30 years ago haha. 

With all that, let's lay out the goals for this challenge.

Goal#1 - Keto, Tracking, and even more IF

So really the backbone of all this has been me eating Keto since the beginning  of the year. Yes Keto isn't specific for weight loss, but it has helped me. I don't feel as restricted as I thought I would. Plus, even with some hunger cravings I do get, they are not nearly as bad as I use to be. So being in Keto does really help suppress my hunger. Once again, stay under 20 net carbs. Track everyday in MyFitnessPal. Do intermittent fasting with my eating window of 11 am to 6 pm.

Now to kick it up a notch. I have been wanting to try it out, but just never have. The 24 hour plus fast. So during this challenge, I choose Tuesday as my non eating day. Water only day. This will actually be more like a 39 hour fast if I stop at 6 pm on Monday, then eat at 11 am on Wednesday. It sounds crazy to me, but why not give it a shot.

Keto+tracking+normal IF = 1 point per day. 7 points per week.

Fasting day complete One Meal done, eating after 3 pm = 5 points. (if this is too rough, I can cut it out later, or scale it back ;) )

12 points total per week

Goal#2 - Read, Rest, Recover, Repeat

The sleep challenge is back. Basic rules still apply. Computer off at 11 pm. Then reading started by 11:15 pm. Off to bed at midnight. Though a few minutes is acceptable if I am finishing a chapter or something. I'll need to make sure my sleeping is on point, because I will need the rest with Goal#3

1 point for reading on time, 1 point for sleep on time (no later then 12:30). 2 points per day, 14 points per week.

Goal#3 - Bring the Pain

pZdwjG7.gif

Here it is. Another attempt to get exercise added into my life. I signed up for the NerdFitness Academy recently when it was on sale. Now time to use it. I will start off with body weight workouts, and eventually go on from there. I also am going to add in walking each day. I would get hung up on numbers in the past(and I am sure I will again), but my goal is just to get out there for a few minutes. Not just walking the dog around, but going myself to walk. I looked up a near by Pokestop in Pokemon Go. There are a few at the Fremont Library. So each day, my goal is to walk to the pokestop and back. Each morning I can probably bust this out fairly quick. There will be some adjustment though for when my son is back in school. I'll deal with that when the time comes. I will also have some weekends that I go drive for a hour + to bowl. Those days I will need to just figure it out. :)

Monday, Wednesday, Friday = Workout days.

Everyday is walking day. At least 15 minutes.

10 points for each workout. 30 total for the week.

3 points each day for walking. 21 per week.

51 points total per week.

Goal#4 - Don't forget the list!

Yeah, that is correct. I need to finish moving in! I'll see how much more I add to the list as time goes on haha.

• Unpack computer area boxes
  • Hang new shelves
  • Hang pictures
  • Apply window tint
  • Build my LEGO! (Doctor Who, and Voltron!)
  • Register for classes
  • Get back to checking blood sugar levels

Longer term list items:

• Get through my sports cards (massive downsize)
  • Board/Bag/Go though all my comics
  • Try to sell off my old bowling balls/equipment
  • Start sending off pictures/slide/videos to get digitized (very expensive, but a little at a time will help)

No points for this goal, I just need to get it done.

Measurements: Day 1 / End of Challenge

Neck - 18.11 in / 18.36 in

Chest - 49.37 in / 48.85 in

Waist - 53.30 in / 52.71 in

Bicep(L) - 15.11 in / 15.03 in

Bicep(R) - 14.84 in / 14.84 in

Forearm(L) - 12.59 in / 12.08 in

Forearm(R) - 12.59 in / 12.36 in

Thigh(L) - 26.10 in / 26.10 in

Thigh(R) - 25. 98 in / 25.86 in

Weight - 281.1 lbs / 275.8 lbs

Week 1 (08/13 - 08/19) - 52/77 - 67%

Week 2 (08/20 - 08/26) - 0/77

Week 3 (08/27 - 09/02) - 0/77

Week 4 (09/03 - 09/09) - 0/77

Challenge total: 0/308

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Blethan said:

Woo woo! Good luck with the challenge, dude! I'll be dropping in / snooping from time to time :smile-new:

Look forward to it :)

• Like 2

Went for a little test walk today.

Nothing fancy. I also stopped to go into the library, and do a Pokemon Go raid while I was there. Seems like a decent walk to start off with. Plenty of areas for me to explore around too. :)

Getting excited for the new challenge to start up.

• Like 3

Uh oh, the Pain might have come too early for me.

I had to pull out of bowling tonight. Something happened in my bicep, and I could not roll the boll without a ton of pain. I have a feeling I won't bowl on Monday night next week. I hope to be back for Thursday night, but may just take next week off.

Now what does this mean for my workouts. I am not certain. I am going to look over my exercises to see what I have to modify. Hopefully, only for this first little bit.

Time to improvise a bit :)

• Like 3

Day 1 is here :)

This morning, I got up and took measurements. I also took some pictures.

I did a little workout:

3 x 15 squats

3 x 15 crunches

3 x 20 sec planks

Next I was off for a walk. 

I did take over a Pokemon Gym on my journey as well ;)

My arm is feeling better, but not enough that I will bowl tonight. I also didn't want to do any exercises that would engage my arm. If I am feeling it, I think I might see if I can bowl a game on Thursday. I have Match club this weekend, but if I can't bowl, I can't bowl.

I was late to bed last night, but the challenge hadn't started so... tonight will be better :)

• Like 3

4 hours ago, fleaball said:

woot woot! Sorry to hear your arm is being dumb though. :(

Thanks. I hope is goes ahead and stop hurting :)

• Like 3

I hope your arm feels better soon! My suggestion is to rest it and do gentle exercises and stretches (that don't hurt) if you can. But I'm not a PT so that might be terrible advice, please don't sue me. 

On 8/14/2018 at 5:24 AM, Tateman said:

I did take over a Pokemon Gym on my journey as well ;)

Congrats! That's always a fun experience. I took over my first Pokemon Gym on Monday (my train station) but didn't feel that excited about it because someone else had already done most of the heavy lifting defeating the defending mons. Yesterday I took on another gym all by myself. It took forever because the defending mons were all 3000+ CP and I only got to take it over for like five minutes BUT STILL. If you can casually take over gyms as you walk by, I'm super impressed. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

Sounds like overall Day 1 went pretty well. Hopefully the arm feels better soon.

Overall, it was fine :) Arm is startign to feel better. I don't think it will be bowl ready for awhile still.

5 hours ago, Wobbegong said:

I hope your arm feels better soon! My suggestion is to rest it and do gentle exercises and stretches (that don't hurt) if you can. But I'm not a PT so that might be terrible advice, please don't sue me. 

Congrats! That's always a fun experience. I took over my first Pokemon Gym on Monday (my train station) but didn't feel that excited about it because someone else had already done most of the heavy lifting defeating the defending mons. Yesterday I took on another gym all by myself. It took forever because the defending mons were all 3000+ CP and I only got to take it over for like five minutes BUT STILL. If you can casually take over gyms as you walk by, I'm super impressed. 

I have kinda stretched my arm a bit. It has been getting better. I am just trying to remember not to carry heavy items with that arm. Even taking the trash out today, I reminded myself to carry on the left arm. 

For Pokemon Go, It isn't too bad for me. I'm level 37, but I also have two other accounts too. I level 35, and level 30. ;) 

So last night, I did not get to sleep. It was launch day for the new World of Warcraft Expansion. Battle for Azeroth. I did stop playing close to 11:20 pm. But then I just sort of spaced out. Even with midnight rolled around, I had the thought "Ok, get to bed on time at least. Then I only lose points for not reading." Instead, I stayed up till 1 am. One part was getting a email from my friend's Uncle. My friend died in 2012. We had kept his facebook page up. I guess they wanted to get it taken down now. So, I did that today. A little bit of a downer mood, just because I had to go digging though the old files to get the information needed. I did take some time to read some emails and chat conversations that I did have with my friend too. I still miss him. Was my best friend for like 13 years or something. Hell, my only in real life friend that I ever really did stuff with. I suppose I do have other friends. I consider many people online as friends. Some of the people I bowl with are my friends. Just not best friend type level I guess. It's kinda weird. 

On to other news. Today was Fast Tuesday. Well, I didn't quite make it haha. Monday night, I ended my eating at 5 pm. Today, I was going strong for a long time. I even cooked a bunch of chicken for myself. Made lunches for the kids. Got a little hungry, but was doing fine. Then about 4 pm, I couldn't take it. I wish I had tested my blood (still need to unpack the meter). I felt like I was hitting low blood sugar numbers. I was getting a headache and such. So I gave in and ate food. I think it might have been too much of a fast to try for. I think I will alter my challenge to make just a longer fast, and maybe build up each week. I'l have to fine turn it :)

I also got in my walk this morning :)

Quick recap of goals for yesterday

08/13 MyFitnessPal - 1662 Calories, 25 net carbs (13 net minus the Quest stuff). IF done

Big nope here.

hXKu2Jn.jpg

1:30 am to 7:39 am. 5 hrs 22 mins. 19 x awake for 47 mins. No reading done.

Goal#3 - Bring the Pain

Monday I got in a small workout, and got in my walk.

No real work on the list. 

• Like 2

*hugs* on the friend thing. I get it.  I generally think that the friend you lost was probably chosen family. Not the ones you are born into, but the ones that you know will have your back and will be there when you need to. Yes, we have other friends, work friends, bowling friends, kids parents friends, but they aren't that special kind of friend that will always be there. I have a hard time talking people friends who arent this type. Maybe its because I have been burned to easy, but its "coworker", "Agents best friends mom", "neighbor" they are friends to a point, but they aren't that friend.

I am sorry you had to go through all of those things yesterday. I can see that leading to a funk.

Here is to hoping for a better day today.

• Like 2

Well, didn't update my thread yesterday. Doing ok I suppose.

Last few days I have been in a bit of a funk. Workouts and walking are getting done, but I really don't want to do anything. I haven't been getting to sleep on time either. Last night, I stopped reading on time, then just sat here kinda staring off into space for half an hour. It was like my mind went back to race mode.

Like this morning I got up and showered. Then sat on my bed after I put my shoes on. Just my brain wanting me to do nothing. I took the dog out, and told myself "Well, you are already dressed, might as well just go for a walk" So I did.

There are things around here I want to get done today, but I just don't have the will power or whatever to actually do it.

I think this is the little funk I get into around my mothers death. So, I just am here trying to survive it haha.

I did walk today, and yesterday I walked a bit of a different area.

My exercises yesterday were pretty simple, but made me realize I do struggle with some of my balance.

3 x 15 calf raise hold

3 x 20 seconds One leg balance

3 x 20 sitting twists

I expected the balance one to be super easy, but I struggled to balance on my right leg. So I suppose i do need to work on it. :)

• Like 2

Hi Stranger, your challenge looks good.  I'm going to follow along with you to keep my motivation up too :)

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Blaidd said:

Hi Stranger, your challenge looks good.  I'm going to follow along with you to keep my motivation up too :)

Hey, how have you been? Long time :)

Oh, and just so you all know, my attitude isn't all bad this week

This was my walk yesterday. Busted out my old 2xl sized shirt that I fit back into :)

• Like 2

The important thing here is, even tho you didn't feel like it, you still took your walk. It wasn't motivation or something that is fleeting, it was the "I am halfway there, might as well finish determination." Great job.

and looking good in your 2 XL shirt. Keep up the good work. Hopefully the funk is over quickly.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Bean Sidhe said:

The important thing here is, even tho you didn't feel like it, you still took your walk. It wasn't motivation or something that is fleeting, it was the "I am halfway there, might as well finish determination." Great job.

and looking good in your 2 XL shirt. Keep up the good work. Hopefully the funk is over quickly.

Thanks. Trying to look at the more positive things of what I am doing at least.

Looks like bowling is still a no go for me. I went tonight. I threw one ball, it wasn't bad. Second ball was "Oh hell no". I packed up my stuff, and came home. I guess no match club bowling this weekend, and no idea if next week will even be an option. :( 

I joked with some people that I am going to have to go practice bowling left handed. I actually might this weekend haha. I want to bowl damn it! :)

• Like 1

Eight year ago today, my Mom died. It seems every year around this time I get into this mental funk. For a few years, I didn't realize it, but eventually I figured it was always around this time. Even though I know it may be coming, I just can't seem to get past it.  So part way through last week, it hit full steam. If I get myself distracted, I seem fine. I've had many a moment this week though, of me just sitting here. Last night, it was a little better. Today, it is a little better.

Things that didn't help this week. I had to get rid of my best friends facebook page. He died in 2012. So I had to dig though files. I tried to make the best of it, and found some of the funny stuff we use to talk about. Then, I had my arm to deal with. I am trying to figure out the new insurance stuff that my wife has, so I can get an appointment. Until then, I am out of bowling. All this added in with the other stuff, just had me really down. Not fully out, but just not in the mood for anything.

With all that, this week will be a bad one. You know what though, that is ok. This battle I have is a long one. There are going to be moments that don't go perfect. My job this coming week, is to get myself back on track as best I can. There is no way I am snowballing all the way back up to 388 lbs like I did before.

Weight loss (or lack there of)

BILayeY.jpg

I'm at 286.2 lbs. That is a 1.4 lbs gained this week. Technically, I had got to almost 285. So at least i am coming down off of that. haha.

08/13 MyFitnessPal - 1662 Calories, 25 net carbs (13 net minus the quest stuff) IF Done

08/14 MyFitnessPal - 1576 Calories, 20 net carbs (8 net minus the quest) about 23 hour fast done

08/15 MyFitnessPal - 1793 Calories, 18 net carbs (16 net minus quest) IF Done

08/16 MyFitnessPal - 1681 Calories, 22 net carbs (10 net minus quest) IF Done

08/17 MyFitnessPal - 2023 Calories, 17 net carbs (14 net minus quest) ate late, no IF

08/18 MyFitnessPal - 1659 Calories, 18 net carbs (15 net minus quest) IF done

08/19 MyFitnessPal - 1673 Calories, 23 net carbs (19 minus quest) IF done

So my attempt at a really long fast was a fail. Right before I ate, I was getting pretty bad headaches, so I decided I needed to eat. Might have been my blood sugar getting low. I am going to change this part of my goal. I don't think I am ready to fast that long yet. I think instead, Tuesday will be the day I try to eat One meal. I hope to fast as long as possible. If I can get use to doing it, then maybe I can move it to other days as well.

On the 18th, we ate at the smoking pig BBQ place. I could not find nutritional information anywhere. Nothing in My Fitness Pal, nothing online, not even their website. So I had to kind of guess. I stayed away from sauces. Just had fatty brisket, hot link, and a side salad with vinaigrette. The dressing did seem very sweet.

11/12 Points

08/14 - 1:30 am to 7:39 am. 5 hrs 22 mins. 19 x awake for 47 mins. No reading

08/15 - 12:41 am to 7:30 am. 6 hrs 12 mins. 21 x awake for 37 mins. Reading done.

08/16 - 12:54 am to 7:52 am. 6 hrs 9 mins. 11 x awake for 49 mins. Reading done

08/17 - 12:20 am to 7:14 am. 6 hrs. 19 x awake for 54 mins. Reading done.

08/18 - 11:59 pm to 8:57 am. 7 hrs 52 mins. 17 x awake for 1 hr 6 mins. Reading done.

08/19 - 12:56 am to 8:30 am. 6 hrs 52 mins. 16 x awake for 42 mins. Reading done.

08/20 - 12:23 am to 6:51 am. 5 hrs 43 mins. 13 x awake for 45 mins. Reading done.

This week was really rough for me sleep wise. Many times I just stayed awake. doing nothing other then sitting here at my desk. I wasn't gaming or anything. There were a few times I went to bed, and just took awhile to get sleeping. My mind was going full steam ahead. I am trying to bring it back in. I need to get up early to take my kid to school, so I need that sleep. :)

9/14 points

Goal#3 - Bring the Pain

Another victim this week of my funk. The exercise died out.

08/13 - Exercise done, followed by a walk

08/14 - walk done

08/15 - Exercise done, followed by a walk

08/16 - walk done

08/17 - nothing

08/18 - nothing

08/19 - nothing

3 days of me doing nothing. Today isn't much better, but I did at the very least do some squats. If I can, I will try to bring up the will to go for a walk tonight. Even if it is down on the treadmill or something. Right now though, mood is to skip it.

32/51 points

Ohh, I didn't forget the list. I just didn't do jack squat here haha. Well, ok, I did order something to help me with the window tint. Now I don't really have an excuse to not get it done.

52/77 points 67% That feel pretty appropriate feel for this week.

• Like 1

I am sorry that you had a rough week. Those are allowed, but I think the thing I really see here is that your understanding that rough weeks happen, and its time to get back on track. I know you will be back on track in a bit. Especially since you already see yourself getting better.  Not everything will always be good, but handling the bad ones without giving up is a win in itself.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Bean Sidhe said:

I am sorry that you had a rough week. Those are allowed, but I think the thing I really see here is that your understanding that rough weeks happen, and its time to get back on track. I know you will be back on track in a bit. Especially since you already see yourself getting better.  Not everything will always be good, but handling the bad ones without giving up is a win in itself.

Yup. At least I know what is happening. Then I can try to do my best to survive it. This week will be better. Might not be perfect, but that is ok too. :)

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Tateman said:

Yup. At least I know what is happening. Then I can try to do my best to survive it. This week will be better. Might not be perfect, but that is ok too. :)

This is the hardest thing to learn, at least to me. But once you remember that and can say it while believing it. it makes things so much easier.  Not all paths are direct routes, and the fact you didn't stop entirely is a good sign.

So, it has been awhile since my last post. My biggest hurdle, was overcoming my mental downswing.

I mentioned previously, that I do struggle this month. Sometimes, it isn't as bad as other times. Overall, I did OK. I have been feeling much better this week, just not wanting to get online to post anything.

Last week, was a real struggle. I still kept it keto, at least. Calories have been all over the place though. Monday I did do some body weight squats, but no other working out, or walking. Sleep was a bit all over as well.

This week started off better. I have done two workouts this week, but no walking.

I have also been able to get back into bowling. Last Thursday, I bowled without pain. Monday night was sweepers night. I made a little money there too. Tonight is sweepers night in my other league. So here is hoping I bowl well.

As far as my weight, I have been really stalled the last couple of weeks. Though, I am getting back to for this week. I am starting to see the scale move in the correct direction. ;)

One other thing I am trying to deal with now, is getting into a rhythm. I am taking my son to school, and picking him up now. This means getting up earlier. I am going to try getting to bed earlier, so I can sleep a bit more. Feeling tired sucks!

Just figured I would pop in to say at least I am still around. I should get a proper normal update tomorrow. I am on the upswing again :)

• Like 2