• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

"Danger" is NOT Xena's middle name

DANGER is not Xena’s middle name

I’m going on vacation in week 1. I’ll be hiking in Norway on a giant elevated plateau called the Hardangervidda. Should I be nervous going to a place that literally has the word “danger” in it? Hopefully not. Just to maintain a cosmic balance, the rest of my challenge is relatively safe (though not necessarily easy). It covers familiar ground with some new twists.

• Run 133 miles (5 weeks, starting zero week) This goal is slightly weird because I’m not counting on getting any miles in week 1 (will be traveling). My plan calls for 132.5 miles, so I’ve given myself a small safety cushion, and will be able to count week 1 if I’m able to sneak in some running. Some of the planned weekend runs are tricky for various reasons. I’ll just do the best I can.
  • Cook 6 vegetarian meals (4 weeks, including zero week but skipping week 1). Goal is for at least 3 of them to be new recipes. I have a couple lined up that are a little light on the protein. Going to allow it, and think about how I might increase the protein if I make it again. For example, I want to make some mushroom croquette that have quinoa but not much else as a protein source. When I make them, I might think about adding some chickpea flour into the croquettes or maybe a side of beans.
  • Becoming less decrepit (4 weeks, including zero week but skipping week 1). Goal is 16 targeted mobility/strength sessions of at least 15 minutes. Yoga classes count toward this. I have a hard time making myself do this. The main progress I made last challenge was figuring out some useful exercises and realizing I could do this in the morning when I’m not running. To make it more fun, I made it into sort of an arts and crafts project.

Details and examples of the mobility goal:

Spoiler

I didn’t really like the sheet I had the exercises written on. I wanted to cycle through a bunch of different exercises over a period of days/weeks, but it was hard to keep track of. So I bought some colored paper and cut up 4 different sheets into 10 pieces each. I wrote down an exercise or two on each sheet in 4 different categories: upper/mid back, leg/hip, fun yoga poses, and core. I put them all in an envelope labeled “TO DO”. I have another envelope labeled “DONE”. The idea is to pull as many cards as I have time for, ideally one of each color and then come up with a series of exercises built around that.

Today I picked cards for: couch stretch, sun salutations and flip dog (the one card where I messed up and put a yoga thing on the “core” paper), warrior pose flow, and fish pose (as a chest opener/upper back stretch). I did the couch stretch first. Then some sun salutations with various warrior poses mixed in (side angle to warrior II to reverse warrior) and ended the last set with flipped dogs. After that, I stretched my hamstrings a bit with a strap, sat in firelog for a while, laid on my back with arms overhead and then rotated my legs from side to side (upper back stretch), finished with fish pose.

For tomorrow I picked: rolling a tennis ball on the inside of my shoulder blades, pigeon pose, supta sukhasana, and 50 ab rows. And then whatever else I feel like my body needs to fill the time.

Other musings and things that aren't really challenge goals:

• Other than sticking to my running plan, I think the "easiest" way I can improve a bit is to watch my weight carefully. This isn't really practical until I get back from vacation, but it's something I have in mind to work on as my fall races near.
  • Ideally in addition to running and the mobility sessions, I would like to do bootcamp class once per week and my AbRipper DvD once per week. Making it a "graded" goal is a little too much for me right now, but it's something I'll try to do.
  • I want to find a Spanish language TV show on netflix or hulu that I enjoy and that has subtitles in Spanish. I'll play around with this a bit after I get back in town. I've had a couple suggestions from friends and from a podcast, so I'm sure I can find something.
  • Inspired @DJtrippyT's recent goals, I'm wondering about some of my micronutrients. I've cut back on dairy so I have no idea if I'm getting enough calcium. I've learned that it's crazy hard to get the recommended amount of potassium (and unclear how well-founded the recommendations are). I vaguely wonder about magnesium. And I've heard most light-skinned people in high-ish latitudes done get enough vitamin D. Should I supplement some of this stuff?? No specific plans, just need to do some research.
  • Now that I have a fancy smart watch, I'm seeing that it thinks I don't sleep so well. One thing that would probably help is getting darker shades. But then I wouldn't wake with natural light. So I could get some kind of sunrise light. Does anyone have thoughts on these? Or maybe I should wait until it's just not so hot and muggy and see if I naturally sleep better.
  • Like 9

That looks like a great trip.

Less decrepit is a goal I can get behind.

It’s hard to get enough calcium, magnesium, potassium, or vit. D. I supplement all of those and feel better for it. I concede it may be a placebo effect.

You should watch hour after hour of

0bcb41b5a7399732616c471e04f99b7e.jpg

That show is crazy.

Blackout curtains and goofy orange glasses do my sleep a world of good.

You already look pretty lean...

What I really want to hear about is running fight club.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

What I really want to hear about is running fight club.

I got an email from the running fight club guy today. It sounds like there will be another meeting this fall. Sadly no one at the meeting looked remotely like this

(Spoilered because big)

Spoiler

image.png.85b3d78706f22a7bdb750750171df5b9.png

7 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You already look pretty lean...

I'm at a healthy weight but would still be healthy a little leaner. I fluctuate in a ~10 lb range, the lower end is better for racing and vanity. Not doing anything crazy.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Xena said:

I wrote down an exercise or two on each sheet in 4 different categories: upper/mid back, leg/hip, fun yoga poses, and core. I put them all in an envelope labeled “TO DO”. I have another envelope labeled “DONE”. The idea is to pull as many cards as I have time for, ideally one of each color and then come up with a series of exercises built around that.

I love this idea!

12 hours ago, Xena said:

I vaguely wonder about magnesium. And I've heard most light-skinned people in high-ish latitudes done get enough vitamin D.

Most people do not get enough magnesium and it takes a concerted effort to get it via diet. For example, in my case (male over 30 ) it's recommended that I get 420mg a day at a minimum. As a diabetic, I should get even more than that, but that first number isn't easy. That's almost 3 cups of cooked spinach or a half pound of almonds...a day...every day. Fortunately, I do eat a lot of almonds and cashews which are fairly high in magnesium as well. But, since you're doing the vegetarian meals, tofu and quinoa have a good amount of magnesium. I'm just not a fan of either of those. Vitamin D is super hard to get in the winter due to a lack of sun exposure in the northern climates.

I supplement both of those and since I started (Vitamin D especially) I get sick less often in the winter and when I do the symptoms aren't as bad as they used to be.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jstanlick said:

I supplement both of those and since I started (Vitamin D especially) I get sick less often in the winter and when I do the symptoms aren't as bad as they used to be.

You and @Sloth the Enduring have me completely convinced (I was ~80% of the way there already). I'll figure out what form to take things in and get myself sorted out as soon as I get back from traveling.

10 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

Following along. 

From way behind.

In the chase vehicle.

Chase vehicles are awesome! It's a big relief just to know it's there.

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Loving the arts and craft mobility work. Maybe  I need to gamify my mobility work. It can just get so boring

Completely weird that 4 pieces of construction paper somehow made it fun. But true.

Today it was completely swampy and gross for running. Luckily my schedule is a little different this cycle, so it was an easy day. I decided to walk a bit after every mile and try to keep a bit of faster pace while running. I think that was a good decision. Gave me a mental break and kept the whole thing from feeling like a slog. The flies in the woods are super icky. And this is from a girl who likes nature. Seriously.

Borrowed some gear from my good friends tonight for my hiking trip. It was fun to go over and hang out with them a little, and kind of cool to bring some bits of their stuff with me on the trip. It felt like they were magic talismans or something (actually a backpack and a couple trekking poles).

• Like 4

45 minutes ago, Xena said:

The flies in the woods are super icky.

Flies are irritating when you’re running and they’re buzzing around your head. Good idea to break things up and keep it more interesting. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2018 at 10:37 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

It’s hard to get enough calcium, magnesium, potassium, or vit. D. I supplement all of those and feel better for it. I concede it may be a placebo effect.

On 8/7/2018 at 10:05 AM, jstanlick said:

Most people do not get enough magnesium and it takes a concerted effort to get it via diet. For example, in my case (male over 30 ) it's recommended that I get 420mg a day at a minimum. As a diabetic, I should get even more than that, but that first number isn't easy. That's almost 3 cups of cooked spinach or a half pound of almonds...a day...every day. Fortunately, I do eat a lot of almonds and cashews which are fairly high in magnesium as well. But, since you're doing the vegetarian meals, tofu and quinoa have a good amount of magnesium. I'm just not a fan of either of those. Vitamin D is super hard to get in the winter due to a lack of sun exposure in the northern climates.

Ok, so I read up on all this....you know the usual, internet browsing of dubious quality.

Spoilered on the tiny remote chance that your aren't fascinated by my musings on dietary supplements

Spoiler

I ended up getting calcium + Vitamin D3 (standard calcium carbonate)

and (separately) magnesium citrate

I can't tell if it's better to take them separately or not because I know calcium and magnesium compete for uptake. Maybe not a huge deal because the doses aren't huge.

I'm gonna supplement about 50% of the RDA of each and then assume I'm getting the rest from food (and make an effort to do so, but without tracking in detail).

Super weird what I learned about potassium supplements. They can't legally put more than 2% of the recommended amount into over the counter supplements. Because of health risks for some people. You can get a lot more with a grocery store salt replacement. It made me slightly nervous, but I think I'll get the salt replacement and try it a couple times a week. I think it's weird that common electrolyte replacement drinks only have sodium. No?

Today was a day off from running. I did my mobility stuff in the morning and then boot camp after work.

I had a brief existential moment wondering what the heck is the point of boot camp. It makes me sweaty but will it actually make me stronger or faster?? I have no idea. I think the main thing it has going in its favor is that the movements are very functional. And I have a friend willing to take the classes with me.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Moros said:

Following!  I like your mobility card idea - I may try something like that too.  I hope your trip is more fun and less danger...

8 hours ago, Terra said:

Enjoy your trip!  Cards for mobility sounds like a wonderful plan!  

11 hours ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I love what you've done with your mobility plan. 

Thank you!

A funny thing about it - it took me about 3 minutes to write all those cards. It was no problem to think of exercises. I know plenty that are useful to me. But without the cards, I kind of flounder, wondering what to do next. It's some weird psychological thing.

7 hours ago, Phoenix Burning said:

Decrepit doesn't even enter my mind when I think of you, Xena.  You are always impressive.  Following for impressively non-decrepit feats of awesomeness.

Awww...thanks! I was reminded of you recently...had an experience of running through some puddles!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Xena said:

Ok, so I read up on all this....you know the usual, internet browsing of dubious quality.

Spoilered on the tiny remote chance that your aren't fascinated by my musings on dietary supplements

Hide contents

I ended up getting calcium + Vitamin D3 (standard calcium carbonate)

and (separately) magnesium citrate

I can't tell if it's better to take them separately or not because I know calcium and magnesium compete for uptake. Maybe not a huge deal because the doses aren't huge.

I'm gonna supplement about 50% of the RDA of each and then assume I'm getting the rest from food (and make an effort to do so, but without tracking in detail).

Super weird what I learned about potassium supplements. They can't legally put more than 2% of the recommended amount into over the counter supplements. Because of health risks for some people. You can get a lot more with a grocery store salt replacement. It made me slightly nervous, but I think I'll get the salt replacement and try it a couple times a week. I think it's weird that common electrolyte replacement drinks only have sodium. No?

Today was a day off from running. I did my mobility stuff in the morning and then boot camp after work.

I had a brief existential moment wondering what the heck is the point of boot camp. It makes me sweaty but will it actually make me stronger or faster?? I have no idea. I think the main thing it has going in its favor is that the movements are very functional. And I have a friend willing to take the classes with me.

Imma Summon @RisenPhoenix on this one, he's generally pretty knowledgable about such things.

14 hours ago, Xena said:

That's really interesting. I wonder if the same is true here. I know my mother uses a lot of the salt replacement because she's on a strictly no sodium diet restriction. I want to say most of the electrolyte drinks you can buy here will have potassium and magnesium on top of the sodium.  I know SIS which is the sports nutrition brand you can buy everywhere has all three.