• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

"Danger" is NOT Xena's middle name

Gatorade and the rest are no longer electrolyte replacement drinks. They’re sugary drinks that people think are better than soda pop because they have an exercise association. People don’t like the taste of electrolytes when they’re sitting around playing video games so they dropped them.

If you want electrolyte replacement you have to pay for it - Skratch (my brand of choice), Osmo, or special order Gatorade G2. Probably HEED. There may be others.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, Xena said:

I had a brief existential moment wondering what the heck is the point of boot camp. It makes me sweaty but will it actually make me stronger or faster??

Kinda depends on what you're doing at boot camp so I'm gonna make a lot of assumptions about your class. It should help with your core and functional strength and muscle endurance. Unless you're doing a bunch of legwork, I'm not sure it will make you faster. Granted, it should help with your cardio endurance as well, but I don't think you need a lot of help there :D 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

If you want electrolyte replacement you have to pay for it - Skratch (my brand of choice), Osmo, or special order Gatorade G2. Probably HEED. There may be others.

Yeah, lots of ultrarunners use Tailwind. I was gonna research it after I finish up my random jar of gatorade. I mostly just take Salt capsules...and just got up off my butt to look at what's in them. Indeed they do have an actual reasonable blend of electrolytes.

• Like 3

My favorite electrolyte is NUUN they are tabs that I can throw into a bottle when needed.  I have a pack in my purse at all times!  

On 8/10/2018 at 1:42 AM, Xena said:

Yeah, lots of ultrarunners use Tailwind. I was gonna research it after I finish up my random jar of gatorade.

My only experience with Tailwind was from a recovery drink that @Charlie_Quinn forced on me after my last race. Based on that, however they are very unapologetic about exactly how high their electrolyte content is and you can really taste it! I was really craving salt at the time so the salty chocolate shake was kind of welcome ;) 

• Like 3

What about good old Pedalyte? (sp?) it’s marketed to give babies electrolytes and I’ve heard it tossed around as a good grocery store find - that and coconut water. Not sure if either of those are as good as the over-engineered stuff, but may be worth looking into further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 8/14/2018 at 1:36 AM, darkfoxx said:

What about good old Pedalyte? (sp?) it’s marketed to give babies electrolytes and I’ve heard it tossed around as a good grocery store find - that and coconut water. Not sure if either of those are as good as the over-engineered stuff, but may be worth looking into further.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coconut water, and aloe juice are amazing; very little, if any additives, extremely hydrating. And unlike all man made electrolyte drinks, you can add it to other beverages: like teas, smoothies, or other juices, for a mineral boost.    

• Like 2

On 8/13/2018 at 11:08 PM, Sloth the Enduring said:

This made me think of you. 

Sir Runs-A-Lot.

That's pretty awesome!

On 8/14/2018 at 2:36 AM, darkfoxx said:

On 8/20/2018 at 4:09 PM, ladylydia said:

Coconut water, and aloe juice are amazing; very little, if any additives, extremely hydrating. And unlike all man made electrolyte drinks, you can add it to other beverages: like teas, smoothies, or other juices, for a mineral boost.    

I'm with you guys on the coconut water. Maple water/sap is good too. I think I have a decent-ish plan. (1) Finish up the gatorade as the opportunity presents, just to get rid of the stuff. Don't buy more. (2) Get some Tailwind...probably the unflavored kind (it's a powder so you can mix it less concentrated if you want). For running use either Tailwind or S-caps. I mostly use the S_caps when I'm running with my hydration pack. I don't put anything but water in the bladder. (3) Start taking some supplemental Magnesium and Calcium...I ordered the stuff before I left for vacation. Gotta figure out what happened to it.

• Like 3

dz5hPYK.jpg

I'm back! Just a quick post now and will catch up on a few threads each day.

The hiking was awesome. It was more rugged and more remote than I thought it would be, but all that made for a really great challenge.

In terms of my actual NF challenge, I'm going to have to re-vamp the running goal a bit. It had originally included zero week, but I didn't run much for various legit reasons. I wasn't able to run at all while on vacation. I'm not worried about that, I was doing plenty of intense activity. I'm just left now with a goal that's not possible to complete, and that's no fun. So I'll re-structure it over the next couple of days.

The other goals are still fine. I cooked some quinoa/mushroom patties during zero week. They weren't very good, but they count. 1/6 done.

I did a fair bit of mobility stuff during zero week also. It was either 4 or 5 times. We'll count it as 4 (4/16) and just go from there.

• Like 15

7 hours ago, Xena said:

The hiking was awesome. It was more rugged and more remote than I thought it would be, but all that made for a really great challenge.

Welcome back. I'm glad to see you had a great time! 

• Like 1

Hi All! I thought I was back in the swing of things with just a bit of jetlag. Then I realized the "jetlag" was an impending cold. I was knocked out for a couple days and didn't do much of anything. Today is my first day feeling normal. Looking forward to going out for an easy run.

The only goal I've really kept up with well is the vegetarian cooking. I made lentil stew last night (a new favorite from my last challenge) and next up will be sesame quinoa with edamame.

I've only run 3 miles so far this week! ...but today I should add 4 or 5 more.

I've only stretched once...but today will be #2.

You do what you can, huh?

• Like 11

4 hours ago, Tanktimus the Encourager said:

I'm glad you're finally feeling better.

Thanks!

1 hour ago, Elastigirl said:

I think airplanes are just germ factories. Glad you are on the mend

I completely agree.

I did indeed run 5 miles today and do my mobility work. It was too hot to be really pleasant running (and the next few days will be even hotter) but I was happy to be out on the trail.

It's funny, for many years I ran without music, but the past couple years I often listen to music when I'm by myself. When I was hiking I didn't listen to music at all. And now it's sort of like it's done a "reset" for me with running. I'm pretty sure I'll go back to it, but it's an interesting break.

• Like 9

23 hours ago, Xena said:

I've only run 3 miles so far this week! ...

You posted this on a Sunday......that's the first day of the week.  You are not behind on the first day of the week. 

• Like 1

Welcome back!

The hiking vacation sounds amazing. I'm curious to see what changes you see in your running, aside from not listening to music.

6 hours ago, ladylydia said:

You posted this on a Sunday......that's the first day of the week.  You are not behind on the first day of the week. 

ah normally true but I go Monday through Sunday. Last week I only ended up running on Monday (the 3 miles) and Sunday (5 miles).

This week will be more normal.

• Like 1

Today did my normal Monday morning 2 miles. This is usually a recovery run after a long Sunday. This week I hadn't done much on Sunday, but my Monday still felt hard. Don't know if I'm still recovering or if the weather was getting me down or some combination. Doesn't matter, I did what I could. Also did my strength/mobility stuff after. Still loving the color-coded exercise cards.

• Like 11

Great job getting settled back in! It sounds like you're definitely still recovering from the trip and some minor sickies but I'm glad you're mostly feeling better :) Also yay for a good challenging hike! Those are the best.

• Like 2

On 8/26/2018 at 7:47 PM, Xena said:

It's funny, for many years I ran without music, but the past couple years I often listen to music when I'm by myself. When I was hiking I didn't listen to music at all. And now it's sort of like it's done a "reset" for me with running. I'm pretty sure I'll go back to it, but it's an interesting break.

I stopped running with music a year or two ago and I can't imagine wearing headphones while running anymore. 

• Like 1