• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Xena

"Danger" is NOT Xena's middle name

7 hours ago, EricMN said:

I stopped running with music a year or two ago and I can't imagine wearing headphones while running anymore. 

I mostly like it when I'm doing a hard run (intervals or something). But I'm happy to be taking a break.

8 hours ago, Raxie said:

Great job getting settled back in! It sounds like you're definitely still recovering from the trip and some minor sickies but I'm glad you're mostly feeling better :) Also yay for a good challenging hike! Those are the best.

You inspired me a couple times when I caught myself being wimpy. I remembered your backpacking trip in the White Mountains a year or two back!

---------------

Today was honestly a pretty unpleasant run. The high humidity doesn't make it easy...but it's the slogging in August that makes possible the glory runs in October.

• Like 2

Went to bootcamp class to day. I don't love it, but it's ok.

Decided I'm going to shorten my run a bit tomorrow. It's going to be really humid again and it just seems smart to scale it a bit. As I sometimes say, running is my hobby and I shouldn't hate my own hobby.

Tried to do my mobility stuff yesterday. Was interrupted by a playful cat then by a phone call. During the phone call, said playful cat thought it would be cute to sneak up, bop me on the head with his paw and run away. Three times. My cat is honestly pretty awesome. 

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Xena said:

Tried to do my mobility stuff yesterday. Was interrupted by a playful cat then by a phone call. During the phone call, said playful cat thought it would be cute to sneak up, bop me on the head with his paw and run away. Three times. My cat is honestly pretty awesome. 

You mean pretty PAWsome. :D 

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Xena said:

seems smart to scale it a bit

Probably a good idea.  Personally, I always want to push harder when the weather is nasty.  I enjoy the suffering. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2018 at 7:36 PM, Xena said:

Decided I'm going to shorten my run a bit tomorrow. It's going to be really humid again and it just seems smart to scale it a bit.

1 hour ago, Cheetah said:

Probably a good idea.  Personally, I always want to push harder when the weather is nasty.  I enjoy the suffering. 

It was supposed to be 7.5 miles at hard effort, but it was so humid out that I was skeptical. Instead did a 5 mile loop and decided just to try to find a sustainable pace. Turned out no running pace was sustainable. I walked a lot and it was all I could do. I'll just keep slogging and will surely feel better once the weather turns.

I enjoy pushing through certain kinds of bad weather, but my body just says no to this stuff.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Xena said:

I enjoy pushing through certain kinds of bad weather, but my body just says no to this stuff.

Heat I can sometimes work through, but the humidity just sucks the energy out of me. No shame in scaling back a run in that kind of weather.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Humidity is so draining. I' m impressed you  ran for 5 miles

^^^^^^^ I agree.

I'm impressed that anyone is willing to leave an air conditioned space when it gets hot and humid out. Unless you are going swimming, which is a sensible coping strategy. ;) 

• Like 3

This is a little unlike me, but I think I've been avoiding posting because I wasn't sure what the heck to post. My challenge looks like a huge failure by the numbers but it doesn't feel that way at all. I was traveling/hiking during week 1. I tried to build the challenge around that, but then I also spent most of Week 2 sick. And a bunch of other random stuff happened.

Here's the deal. I only had 3 goals. Should have been easy.

1. Run 133 miles (5 weeks, starting zero week)  Right...4 of those weeks are done and I have a total of 45 miles. I'm not planning 88 miles this week! Reasons/excuses: 

Spoiler

Mitigating factors: zero week a bunch of stuff happened...skipped one day because of heat, had an emergency come up the next day, other stuff I don't rememeber. I thought I would be able to run a bit in Norway, but I really couldn't. And I got PLENTY of exercise, so I'm not apologizing. I was sick week 2. Week 3 I ran decently but (1) I was recovering from pretty much no running for 2 weeks and (2) Labor Day weekend was such that I moved things around and did my Long run on the Monday of week 4. Week 4 should be ok-ish, but the Monday "long" run was a lot shorter than I wanted it to be on paper. This was mostly because the terrain was hard.

TLDR: I wanted to run more, but I haven't been a slacker.

2. Cook 6 vegetarian meals  I think I'm up to 5 of 6. I can probably make #6 but might not because I'm traveling this weekend. The numbers look borderline, but again I was sick for a week (the night I had popcorn for dinner does not count as a legit vegetarian meal). Other random stuff happened...a vegetarian friend knows I'm working on this, so she invited me over for dinner one night...doesn't technically count to the challenge, but I got a new recipe and had a solid vegetarian meal. I have honestly made huge progress in this and have been pescatarian/vegetarian for the vast majority of my meals. Most recently I made an edamame/udon with peanut sauce recipe that I got from  @Maigahane .

3. Core and mobility work 16x. Uh, well, I think I'm only up to 8 times so far (only twice last week). I won't hit 16, but I do love the index card system. I think this will work for me in the future.

Other stuff:

I've done a really good job at the mini challenge. I've done 4 of the 5 tasks so far. Yesterday I worked on improving my house/"batcave" and hit my television cable under some plastic covers. It looks a million percent better.

I had some other quasi goals. I've made good progress on about half of them:

• I researched and started taking supplemental magnesium and calcium,
  • I picked out some Spanish TV shows to watch (going to check out "Gran Hotel" and/or "Velvet" and then decide if I like one of those or want to look further),
  • I've been good about going to bootcamp class except when traveling or sick.

So yeah, things are mostly ok. I'm just busy.

• Like 8

10 hours ago, Xena said:

1. Run 133 miles (5 weeks, starting zero week)  Right...4 of those weeks are done and I have a total of 45 miles. I'm not planning 88 miles this week! Reasons/excuses: 

That's a problem when you have cumulative goals like this. What seems like something that should just happen so long as you stick to a plan can be completely derailed by a bad week or two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jonfirestar said:

That's a problem when you have cumulative goals like this. What seems like something that should just happen so long as you stick to a plan can be completely derailed by a bad week or two. 

True. They were a bit easier to manage back in the days of the 6-week challenge. There was more time to recover.

I like the cumulative goals better than goals that depend on me hitting a target every day or week, but yeah, this one completely imploded. Not a big deal though. When I'm close to making a goal it sometimes motivates me to run a little more, but I wouldn't say that missing this goal is taking away motivation.

The one thing I've been struggling with a bit is running with one of my friends. She's a much better runner than I am, but also nice and willing to slow down for me. I'm also really strongly affected by the heat. So when we run together in the summer, even with her slowing down and letting me set the pace, I often crash out and can't finish the intended distance. That's happened on my last two long run attempts. It's not terrible...I've still gotten decent distance. And I've been wiped out for HOURS afterward, so I know I wasn't just being mentally weak. I just know that I need to do a couple long runs on my own in the coming weeks. It's a little awkward, but we are good enough friends that I can just tell her what I need to do.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Xena said:

I like the cumulative goals better than goals that depend on me hitting a target every day or week, but yeah, this one completely imploded.

:) I very almost suggested that it would be better to have more granular targets but I also prefer the overarching cumulative goals. I think it's just a matter of being aware that if you fall too far behind for whatever reason and it kicks the goal too far out of reach that it is okay to accept that or revise. Like you said it's not really a big deal.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Xena said:

Most recently I made an edamame/udon with peanut sauce recipe that I got from  @Maigahane .

Ooh, what did you think of it?

I've wanted to find someone to run with figuring it would help me, but I'm so slow I don't even know how I'd find someone that can push me without accidentally killing me

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Ooh, what did you think of it?

It's great! I know from your thread that you are a big peanut butter fan. For me, I ended up with a little too much sauce, and it seemed a little too heavy (but I still really liked it). I think the easiest change would just be to make more noodles and stretch it to 3 meals (like you and your hubby, I laugh at the idea of it being 4 servings...would be true if it were a side dish, but not as a main/only course). I might also play with the ratios, but I'm not quite sure how yet. I have a pad thai recipe that I like. I thought I would look at what goes into that and compare back and forth (I know they aren't the same thing at all, it's just to give me ideas).

5 minutes ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

You’re all set. You’ve lulled your friend into a false sense of superiority, now you can crush her when the weather turns.

Heh heh heh...

----------

Today was great!

It was just a little cooler and little less humid than it has been. It was the first day in WEEKS that I felt like I could adjust the intensity of my running to choose a level of effort. My recent runs have been just going as slowly as possible, trying to keep my heartrate to something sustainable and then walking as needed. Today finally felt like actual training. And when I looked at the results from my Polar afterward, they looked WAY more reasonable. I was really good at adjusting my effort with the terrain and ended up with a relatively constant heartrate (based on effort). My runs over recent weeks have been completely crazy. I feel terrible...as I run as slowly as possible, my heart rate climbs and climbs. I'm not really getting enough air and I'm overheating so I have to stop. When you first switch from running to walking the heart rate actually jumps up a bit more then slowly decreases. Then I would start again...it was not fun and not very encouraging.

Today's run (5 miles) was 10 minutes faster than last week on the same course and only 4 minutes slower than what I was doing in May and June (when it was 10 degrees cooler). I feel like the variation in my performance is about 20% based on training effort and 80% based on weather. So I guess I keep slogging...work for that 20% and wait for the "hero weather".

After work I went to bootcamp. I only sort of like it, but I think it's good for me. Maybe. Sort of.

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Xena said:

And when I looked at the results from my Polar afterward, they looked WAY more reasonable.

So, you've had the new watch for a little while now. Do you still like it? Better than the Garmin? Asking for a *friend* who's thinking of getting one :P 

On 9/5/2018 at 10:33 AM, Maigahane said:

I've wanted to find someone to run with figuring it would help me, but I'm so slow I don't even know how I'd find someone that can push me without accidentally killing me

Running with people can be tricky - although it's really motivating too! Every time I've run with people, they've wanted to chat while we run. I'm a bit of a mouth breather, so I'm always awkwardly sucking in air while also trying to talk somehow. 

On 9/4/2018 at 7:22 PM, Xena said:

2. Cook 6 vegetarian meals 

If you need more recipes, I have a suggestion! I've made this mexican quinoa recipe for the past two weeks - it's SUPER easy to make and it's a really solid vegetarian meal. 

21 hours ago, Xena said:

Today was great!

It was just a little cooler and little less humid than it has been. It was the first day in WEEKS that I felt like I could adjust the intensity of my running to choose a level of effort. My recent runs have been just going as slowly as possible, trying to keep my heartrate to something sustainable and then walking as needed. Today finally felt like actual training. And when I looked at the results from my Polar afterward, they looked WAY more reasonable. I was really good at adjusting my effort with the terrain and ended up with a relatively constant heartrate (based on effort). My runs over recent weeks have been completely crazy. I feel terrible...as I run as slowly as possible, my heart rate climbs and climbs. I'm not really getting enough air and I'm overheating so I have to stop. When you first switch from running to walking the heart rate actually jumps up a bit more then slowly decreases. Then I would start again...it was not fun and not very encouraging.

Today's run (5 miles) was 10 minutes faster than last week on the same course and only 4 minutes slower than what I was doing in May and June (when it was 10 degrees cooler). I feel like the variation in my performance is about 20% based on training effort and 80% based on weather. So I guess I keep slogging...work for that 20% and wait for the "hero weather".

Excellent that the weather is better and your speed is getting back to normal. Running in heat and humidity sounds miserable.

I'm sure that your training is going to go back to your usual amazing level in the fall.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jstanlick said:

So, you've had the new watch for a little while now. Do you still like it? Better than the Garmin? Asking for a *friend* who's thinking of getting one :P 

Love it! Feel like it's not quite a fair comparison. The technology has advanced, so it can do a lot more than my garmin could. And my garmin never worked quite right.

The only thing I would suggest as an easy improvement to the Polar software would be the way it calculates your performance over time. It uses something called "running index" which is some kind of estimate of how fast you can run at a given heart rate. To look at improvement over time, it does some kind of weighted average of ALL your logged runs. I think it would be better if it would also let you calculate the weighted average for different classes of runs (it will separately plot running index for different categories that you can assign). I can of course do math and figure this out for myself, but it's stupid that the watch tells me my fitness has declined, when actually I've just done a bunch of technical trail running. Very minor detail. Otherwise I really really like it.

Other considerations though...features that it doesn't have. These aren't a big deal for me.

...it's not a phone. The apple watches apparently let you make calls. This is nice for emergencies so you wouldn't have to carry a phone and a watch.

...it doesn't play music. Some of them store music libraries and can interface with wireless headphones. Maybe they can use things like spotify too, I'm not sure.

...it doesn't have a super accurate altimeter. Some watches have a pressure based altimeter rather than whatever this thing has. I don't remember the details. It's not a big deal unless knowing exact altitude is important to you.

...it requires a cable to charge and interface with computer. This doesn't bother me, but a lot of the other watches can use bluetooth.

8 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Running with people can be tricky - although it's really motivating too! Every time I've run with people, they've wanted to chat while we run. I'm a bit of a mouth breather, so I'm always awkwardly sucking in air while also trying to talk somehow. 

If you need more recipes, I have a suggestion! I've made this mexican quinoa recipe for the past two weeks - it's SUPER easy to make and it's a really solid vegetarian meal. 

Yeah it can be tricky for all different kinds of reasons. This friend is usually great and a great motivator. I just need a couple good runs on my own.

Thanks for the recipe! As you said, it looks super easy and delicious. I bookmarked it.

• Like 3

Today was a rest day. I did some great stretching/yoga/mobility/stuff.

Tomorrow is supposed to be cool and dry! I'm hitting the trail, doing a longish run and getting to work late. I have to work this weekend, so it's ok.

• Like 4

I didn't fall into a hole or anything. I was just traveling over the weekend (for work, nothing all that exciting) and was busy.

I basically did a challenge wrap-up a couple posts ago. I didn't really check off the goals very well, but I'm happy with where I am right now. Running is going well when the weather cooperates. I haven't been stretching all that much but I do have a good system that I know I'll get back to. I've shifted a lot more toward a mostly vegetarian diet.

I'm debating doing an "unchallenge" next time. I don't really have any bite-sized goals at the moment.

• Like 3