• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Rebel Pilot Gar

[Rebel Pilot Gar] Mental Focus

Mental Focus

Last challenge I had 3 goals - reduce alcohol, meditate daily, and exercise a certain amount per week. Alcohol reduction will remain a focus for quite some time. I am backing off the meditation in favor of fixing my weekday sleep / mornings first.

As far as exercise goes, I grew frustrated with the grading system I chose. The Garmin "intensity minutes" is a good measure to compare week-to-week but there was not an easy daily breakdown for a given week. And the times I completed my weekly limit, I had no push to workout the rest of the week. For this challenge, I would rather focus on building a habit of regular workouts than chase an arbitrary active minutes goal. 

Zero Week

1) Alcohol Maintenance

• Weekday (M-F): 2 drink limit
  • Weekend (Sat/Sun): 3 drink limit

2) Avoid Alarm Snoozing

• Weekday (M-F) Out of bed when alarm goes off at 5:45
  • Weekend (Sat/Sun) Wake up by 9:30

3) Workouts

• 2 x 20+ min runs
  • 1 x 20+ min yoga

Challenge Goals

1) Alcohol Reduction

• No liquor on Monday - Thursday

2) Healthy Sleep Schedule

• Weeknight (Sun - Thurs) - In bed by 22:30 - 23:00
  • Weekday (Mon-Fri) - Out of bed by 5:45
  • Weekends (Fri & Sat Night) - In bed by 00:00

3) Workout Routine

• 3 x 30 min runs per week (Week 1 - 4) 
  • 1 x 20+ min yoga routine (Week 1 - 4)
  • 1 x Bodyweight Strength Workout (Week 3 - 4)

tumblr_ocmqapLM771u1kyq6o2_540.gif

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

For this challenge, I would rather focus on building a habit of regular workouts than chase an arbitrary active minutes goal. 

I think this change makes a lot of sense. Not only is it better for building the habit but it is also less easy to manipulate the results or use an early surge to justify backing off. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I think this change makes a lot of sense. Not only is it better for building the habit but it is also less easy to manipulate the results or use an early surge to justify backing off. 

Thanks! I think the intensity minutes was a good push to keep it simple last challenge, but I need to get those habits started to idiot-proof my foundation.

4 hours ago, Starpuck said:

Hey you!   Found you!  Following!

The plan is great.   Very well structured too!

Hey! Thanks for following and the compliments :D

Looks good on paper, now to make it work.

Z9q6.gif

• Like 1

Zero Week Update

tumblr_o8utkuZXdu1rxtrado8_r1_540.png

Work, so much work. I have a couple big presentations coming up. Like make (or break?) my career presentations. 

No pressure.... So Monday and Tuesday nights were spent still working on said presentations. 

0-1

1) Alcohol Maintenance

3 drinks (2 beer + 1 cognac)

2) Avoid Alarm Snoozing

Good (5:36AM)

3) Workouts

None

0-2

1) Alcohol Maintenance

2 drinks (beer)

2) Avoid Alarm Snoozing

Not Good (6:32AM)

3) Workouts

None

0-3

1) Alcohol Maintenance

2 drinks (beer)

2) Avoid Alarm Snoozing

Not Good (6:23AM)

3) Workouts

Running - just over 20 mins. Will update with pics at some point. 

tumblr_pdfghzPyv21w5m9wao3_500.pngtumblr_pdfghzPyv21w5m9wao1_1280.png

• Like 3

0-4

1) Alcohol Maintenance

2 drinks (beer)

2) Avoid Alarm Snoozing

Not Good (6:13AM)

3) Workouts

None

0-5

1) Alcohol Maintenance

1 drink (beer)

2) Avoid Alarm Snoozing

Not Good - but better (5:53AM)

3) Workouts

None

0-6

1) Alcohol Maintenance

2 beers, 1 whisky

2) Wake Up

Good (9:19AM)

3) Workouts

None

Not going to bed on time is making it so so much harder to get out of bed in the mornings. And I just am freaking slammed with work. Should've done yoga at least today (Saturday) but was mentally just done after running necessary errands in the morning. So we took a nap and (finally) watched Deadpool 2 instead. 

Which was so good. Cable had been a favorite of mine for so long. IDK why, but he's in my top 5 favorite comic book characters. (In no particular order: Rogue, Gambit, Hawkeye, Cable... the # 5 slot shifts around quite a bit....)

tumblr_pd9ihuMata1u0r4z4o4_540.gif

• Like 2

It's a good idea to work on consistency first and then up the ante. I'd also add a 5 or 10 min +/- on the beditme and wake up time, since you usually need about 15 minutes to go to sleep after you go to bed at the beginning.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2018 at 4:14 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Not going to bed on time is making it so so much harder to get out of bed in the mornings

Yeah funny how that works. It creates a little cascading spiral that just makes all thing a little bit worse :(

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Echoceanic said:

It's a good idea to work on consistency first and then up the ante. I'd also add a 5 or 10 min +/- on the beditme and wake up time, since you usually need about 15 minutes to go to sleep after you go to bed at the beginning.

Yeah that's a good point. Especially since I'll be using the fitness tracker as my record of sleep/wake times. Thanks!

16 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Yeah funny how that works. It creates a little cascading spiral that just makes all thing a little bit worse :(

Very true. I also tend to get sick after enough days in a row of not getting enough sleep. Definitely want to avoid that....

• Like 1

Zero Week Results:

1) Alcohol Maintenance

Ended up with 16 drinks for the week. Every day was in control, apart from Monday. But Friday made up for the excess. Maintaining daily targets from last challenge. This'll be #2 on the priority list. 

2) Wake Up

Struggled with this, especially as the week went on. Sleep schedule will be my primary focus this challenge. 

3) Workouts

Only 1 run during the week. Going to focus on building the habit and routine (even if it's only a 10 min run/yoga/whatever) rather than time for now. Start small and build it up.

Especially with how insane Week 1 is looking so far with life/work stuff. Yeah I'm busy, but that's never really going away (unless I choose unemployment....) so time to stop the excuses and learn to make the best of what time I do have. 

• Like 2

Week 1:

Not sure how regular updates will be this week, work schedule is insanity. Plan for week one is as follows:

Challenge goals in priority order:

1) Sleep schedule - Stick to the schedule. 

2) Alcohol reduction - focus on the daily targets.

3) Workouts - focus on routine rather than hitting the time goals. Do something. 

tumblr_owjv7lsW9X1vetqm4o3_r1_400.gif

W1D1:

1) Alcohol Reduction: 

2 beers.

2) Sleep Schedule:

Wake Up = 5:46AM

Bed Time = TBD

3) Workout:

Quick run, only 1 mile and the rest was cool-down walk. Monday workouts just seem to set the week up for success. Plus I needed some stress relief. 

tumblr_pdfghzPyv21w5m9wao4_500.png

tumblr_pdfghzPyv21w5m9wao2_1280.png

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, Starpuck said:

That's a really sharp looking run log app!  If I were still running I'd use it!  

Do they do it for biking?

It works with biking too, though I haven't tried it yet. The app is for Garmin (similar to FitBit's app but more geared toward tracking workouts than just steps).

Not sure how well it works without the fitness watch, but Strava is a really good app also for cardio workouts. 

I feel you on the sleep schedule. Mine's been so haywire this summer, and with my oldest starting high school in a couple of weeks (with a stupid o'clock start time), I really need to get on track. *solidarity fistbump*

• Like 1

Sorry for the update delay. Last week was just crazy with work stuff, and then weekend family stuff. Ended up really good in the end but was very very busy. This week is looking a bit more normal so far.

Grades are poor to reflect minimal minimal amount of focus on the challenge goals. Aiming to just keep moving forward and give week 2 more of my focus. 

Alcohol - Did well in the beginning of the week. Thurs/Fri had 3 drinks rather than the allowed 2. Saturday I'm not even bothering to count. Paced myself earlier in the day but probably ended the evening with 5-6 glasses of wine plus some whisky. (Alright maybe I did try to count). Sunday was a clear reminder of why I don't want to do that any more. Lets call it 55%

Sleep - this was one that got better as the week progressed. At least in terms of bed time. Wake up is still a struggle, especially when I keep the phone near me rather than across the room. Gotta check the bullet journal to confirm grade, but I think WakeUp portion was around 25% and Sleep around 70%

Exercise - only the one run on Monday. Unless you count some extra walking (14k steps) on Saturday. 

• Like 2

Hard reset for week 2. Yes, I know this is a bit of a trend. Don't really regret the chosen priorities for week 1, so I won't beat myself up over the results. I will be truthful about them though rather than trying to hide from the numbers. 

Week 2 Day 1

Alcohol - 2 beers

Sleep- late wakeup (6am). Sleep tbd

Exercise - 28 mins yoga.

IMG_0345.JPG.eb430d50e65be83b74808907920be9e1.JPG

• Like 3

On 8/21/2018 at 2:21 AM, Rebel Pilot Gar said:

Hard reset for week 2. Yes, I know this is a bit of a trend. Don't really regret the chosen priorities for week 1, so I won't beat myself up over the results. I will be truthful about them though rather than trying to hide from the numbers. 

Looking at the numbers can often really help :) At the very least it can keep you somewhat mindful and aware of what you are doing. 

• Like 1

I had to look at my numbers and it was like a smack in the face.    A friend once called me the Queen of Rationalization - stating I could rationalize my way into or out of anything.   I had really skewed my perception on my actual effort and consistency.   (Like saying "a meal or two crazy on the weekend shouldn't undo a perfect work week!" -- Only to really math out that I was at best doing 60% / 40% on my eating and exercise.   Gee... you're telling me that if I am 50/50 on my track record that = maintenance?  Huh, whoddathunk?)  

So while I may not yet have mastered the weekends - I know exactly what I need to do for the progress to return.  That in itself is such a big step.

We'll get there!

• Like 3

On 8/22/2018 at 4:40 AM, jonfirestar said:

Looking at the numbers can often really help :) At the very least it can keep you somewhat mindful and aware of what you are doing. 

Very true. The mindfulness part is key - I'm in this for the long term, just have to keep my head on straight to find my way :)

On 8/22/2018 at 10:07 AM, Starpuck said:

I had to look at my numbers and it was like a smack in the face.    A friend once called me the Queen of Rationalization - stating I could rationalize my way into or out of anything.   I had really skewed my perception on my actual effort and consistency.   (Like saying "a meal or two crazy on the weekend shouldn't undo a perfect work week!" -- Only to really math out that I was at best doing 60% / 40% on my eating and exercise.   Gee... you're telling me that if I am 50/50 on my track record that = maintenance?  Huh, whoddathunk?)  

So while I may not yet have mastered the weekends - I know exactly what I need to do for the progress to return.  That in itself is such a big step.

We'll get there!

Queen of Rationalization... haha I may have to join you for that title. Especially when my morning alarm goes off and "5 more minutes" turns into an hour. 

Here's to baby steps and moving forward together ~

Week 2 Day 2

Alcohol - 2 beers

Sleep- Bad on wake/sleep

Exercise - 20 min run/walk. First 1/2 mile with dog since it was finally not crazy warm. Not that he wanted to run....

Week 2, Day 3

Alcohol - 2 beers. Was a bit of a mental battle to resist a third but I persisted.

Sleep - Still bad

Exercise - None

Week 2, Day 4

Alcohol - 1 beer. But only because it was my last one. Stuck to water rest of the night. 

Sleep - Still not good 

Exercise - Family adventure to the park. Probably walked about 2 miles. Was beautiful out. Feels like autumn this week 

So what gives with sleep?? We're eating dinner pretty late (but actually cooking real food rather than crappy takeaway). So I've been staying up to digest properly. Then setting my alarm later to account for later bed time.

Shifting sleep goal for weeks 3 & 4  to primarily focus on getting my bed time shifted earlier.

• Like 2

Week 2 Review

I've been off my posting game lately. Thanks for the extra push @Starpuck;)

I keep messing up the formatting trying to be fancy. This is the 3rd time I'm trying to fix it. So *$%# it, it stays with the stupid spoiler. Graaaagh

1) Alcohol Reduction

• No liquor on Monday - Thursday

• Weeknight (Sun - Thurs) - In bed by 22:30 - 23:00
  • Weekday (Mon-Fri) - Out of bed by 5:45
  • Weekends (Fri & Sat Night) - In bed by 00:00

3) Workout Routine

• 3 x 30 min runs per week (Week 1 - 4) 
  • 1 x 20+ min yoga routine (Week 1 - 4)
  • 1 x Bodyweight Strength Workout (Week 3 - 4)

1) Alcohol Reduction

Really did well on this goal! I was at or under target every day.... including Friday.... and the weekend!! The urge for whisky was strong on Saturday, even though I already had 3 beers. But I resisted!!! Another plus, I've been drinking lots of water :D 

~~Table of daily results goes here~~

This one... did not go so well.

Wake-Up:

Past the chosen schedule each day. Weekdays closer to 6:15-6:45AM range, rather than 5:30-5:45AM. Weekends 11AM rather than 9:30AM. But I didn't set a weekend alarm... so that's my own fault. Grade = 0%

(Not that I really regret the extra sleep, other than how it just kills productivity for the rest of the day...

3Mufshj.gif

....and messes up sleep schedule for the oncoming week.

tumblr_ntgpngYXJJ1ud8h5io4_400.gif)

Bed-time:

Slowly getting better, at least compared to the past few months. Still not quite at the 10:30-11:00PM bedtime. But inching ever closer.... (late dinner is the real killer here...)

Weeknight bedtime ranged between 11-11:30PM.

Weekend bedtime successfully before midnight. Sunday night was the oddball, but there was a pre-arranged event that I knew I wouldn't be home until past midnight for. But that's special scenario there.... Grade = 28%

W3-W4 Modification: Focus on dinnertime/bedtime. 

3) Exercise Routine

still fixing

• Like 2

hang tight, I did a bad thing and broke the attempted update..... (aka I hate everything)

1) Alcohol Reduction (Table-less table of Results)

Mon - 2

Tues - 2

Wed - 2

Thurs - 1

Fri - 2

Sat - 3

Sun - 3

3) Workout Routine

Had more free time this week to focus on workouts. Still didn't quite hit the goal. Ended the week with:

• 1 Yoga Routine (28 mins)
  • 2 Runs (4 miles, 52:30 total)
  • 1 Family Walk (not tracked, est 2 miles)

Running details:

tumblr_pe57q5cUva1w5m9wao3_400.pngtumblr_pe57q5cUva1w5m9wao1_400.png

tumblr_pe57q5cUva1w5m9wao4_400.pngtumblr_pe57q5cUva1w5m9wao2_400.png

I also signed up for a local 5K this upcoming weekend. And have started looking into local running clubs to get a bit more incentive to do good things. 

• Like 3