• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Radost

Radost: Vacation station

Well. I had this all typed up in a note before I learned that my Grandpa unexpectedly passed away yesterday so I’m kinda feeling a little less WOO VACATION but I think I’m still good with the challenge as I dreamed it up originally so I’m going to leave it as it is.

The challenge starts on week one of my TWO WEEK VACATION OMG (squee with me here; nothing like going from working 6 days a week to just one)!!!  Of course that means I have to find something to take the place of my normal work commute and active job. Because when Link runs back and forth across Hyrule field, oddly that doesn’t actually do anything for my fitness level. Don’t get me wrong: there will be loafing! But I realized years ago that I do actually really need regular exercise to feel my best. 

The good news is, I’m closing in on the end of a week without foot pain - even with my mad bike ride and hike on the weekend, and with a little jogging on the trail as I tried to hurry back to the land of cellphone service so I could say goodnight to my sweetie who’s out of town. So I’m probably gonna start running again!!! !!! !!!!! !!! I love running, can you tell?

Also, vacation means time for hikes and stuff! In particular, I’ll be up island and plan to visit a waterfall I almost went to years ago but stayed behind to hang with my then-husband who never seemed to want to come out with my friends. And I think I’ll go hike some of the trails around the lake where the trail race I still hope to do in the fall is set. And lots of yoga and body weight workouts. 

So here’s my challenge:

Diet

•Maintain workday and weekend snacking plans as in previous challenges

•Gaming snacks: visit the snack table no more than once per hour; continue bringing leftover snacks to work to share with the kids I look after instead of keeping them to eat myself. There are 4 of these nights (2x board games, 2x D&D) and I can get 0, 1, or 2 points depending if I meet the goal, do okay but not perfect, or go back to usual habits. Pass will be 6/8

•Freggies: make dinner with >2 servings of veggies five times a week. Give each week a percentage success and average them at the end; pass is 75%

Fitness

•3 workouts per week, pass is 90% but bonus points are possible for extra workouts 

•Balance work and stretches every day. I slipped on this last month and it’s important. I’ll put a reminder in my phone at bedtime to brush my teeth standing on one foot, haha. 

•RUN?!? Weekly. I’ll start by biking over to the chip trail I often run to and going around that - just about 3.5k. Depending how that goes, in following weeks I may do a 4k loop around the neighbourhood or walk partway to/from the chip trail (2k from my house, so the total loop runs 7.5-8 depending on exactly which side streets I take). 

Life

Two goals, one of which is p. big

•Take pictures of fun hikes in pretty places for here and IG

•Get my place ready for my sweetie to move in and help him get his apt move-out ready (UGH. CLEANING.). Oh and get ready to foster my sibling’s cat for several months while they are moving to the Big City. BIG LIFE CHANGES. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Sorry about your grandpa.

Looking forward to the hiking pictures

Thanks. We got to spend some good time together over the last couple years and now I’m really glad. 

Looking forward to getting out in the green for sure. 

• Like 1

:( Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. 

15 hours ago, Radost said:

The good news is, I’m closing in on the end of a week without foot pain - even with my mad bike ride and hike on the weekend, and with a little jogging on the trail as I tried to hurry back to the land of cellphone service so I could say goodnight to my sweetie who’s out of town. So I’m probably gonna start running again!!! !!! !!!!! !!! I love running, can you tell?

Yay! I love running too but now I'm injured :( so I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously! I hope you can get back to it without incurring more pain. Just remember to build slowly into it. 

5 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

:( Sorry to hear about your Grandpa. 

Yay! I love running too but now I'm injured :( so I'll just have to enjoy it vicariously! I hope you can get back to it without incurring more pain. Just remember to build slowly into it. 

Thanks.

It’s only fair for you to live vicariously through my running since I’ve been following yours partly for the same reason, haha. Hope I don’t do one run and go “oh no, not better after all.”

1 hour ago, Echoceanic said:

Sorry about your grandpa, but so glad about your vacation.

Thanks. It’s pretty good timing if I need to be around to help family, for sure. 

Kicked off week one with a teeny tiny run! I decided to bike a little farther to a different Rec centre that has a flat 1.2km chip trail with exercise equipment, instead of a hilly 3.5. I ran 2k (in 11:55, I was winded, haha!) and then walked a third round, stopping at all the upper-body exercise stations and taking the time to stretch/catch Pokémon. Speaking of which, not exactly gorgeous hiking photos but...

5E40A716-D2DB-4822-8B51-6CEA6E71C557.jpeg.8b233b34c794a5d211c010a8be6fd471.jpeg

I stretched on site and did a little yoga when I got home - don’t know that I’ll revisit that particular video but there was one stretch I will definitely integrate into my nightly routine. Hopefully tomorrow I will wake up not in terrible pain. If so, I figure I might do another short run towards the end of the week. *fingers crossed* *sewing good luck charms into all my clothes*

• Like 3

On 8/14/2018 at 2:31 AM, jonfirestar said:

Yay! I really hope that you don't get any pain! 

Well my quads are killing me, but my foot is fine so yay! :D

• Like 1

Workout of the day: moving my sibling’s furniture into a mobile storage box with them. We felt so buff. Also: whyyyyy am I doomed to again live through multiple close-to-me households moving at the same time???  At least I’m technically not one of them exactly this time...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Radost said:

Well my quads are killing me, but my foot is fine so yay! :D

I'd sure take quad doms over my foot hurting right now :) 

Moving furniture can be a really good workout! 

15 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I'd sure take quad doms over my foot hurting right now :) 

Twelve kinds of agree! Hope you recover smoothly. This has been a long time coming for me and I’m glad to finally be starting to rebuild. 

Hiked a local park today. I wasn’t super into it and had an annoying text conversation about halfway, but I saw a cool hawk and some pretty moss and by the end of the hike I was feeling better. Until I got stung by a bee or wasp biking home and didn’t have antihistamines on me and now I have nasty hives on my leg. Ouch. So I’m not gonna do the Fab Five food challenge today after all. But look, pretty pictures!

Week one recap

I’ve been eaten by 1. a bathroom reno that seemed small and manageable and in fact is The Worst and 2. my cat’s health, which is measurably terrible although his quality of life still seems great, so this vacation has been one long, expensive stream of vet visits. So some of my challenge tasks I am a bit hazy on. And snacking was off the rails this past weekend as I tried to get through the reno before heading out of town for a couple days (no, I didn’t make the deadline). I think I have one more day’s work in the bathroom, and hopefully today’s vet visit will show results such that we can wait two or three weeks until the next one.  Hope hope hope. 

Diet

•Gaming snacks: 2/2 - because of how the games shook out I think I didn’t quiiiite hold to my schedule, but I also mostly ate veggies and hummus so I’m taking the point. 

•Freggie-heavy dinners: ???/5 whoops I forgot to pay attention to this. I’ll give myself 3, which seems reasonably likely. 

Fitness

•Workouts: 3/3 ish, only one traditional workout, plus one day of moving furniture and boxes and two days of removing grout. 

•Balance and stretch: 1/2 I didn’t do very well at making this happen every day. But I had some good, long sessions. 

•RUN?!? YES IT WAS GLORIOUS. Hope to make time to get out again this week. 

Life

Posted my hike for week 1 upthread. My wasp sting is still itchy. I have hike pictures from this week’s trip that I’ll post later too. 

I haven’t done anything here to prep for moving but I helped the boyfriendperson pack most of his books and brought a few boxes over. I have to get the bathroom finished before I can seriously think about doing other jobs around the house because I miss my shower sooooo much already. Whose stupid idea was it to regrout the stupid shower anyway????? (Yup, mine. It was stupid.)

• Like 1

Yesterday my sweetie and I left our AirB&B early so we could stop on the drive home and check out Nymph Falls. Years ago my XH and I were in the area to visit his family and because my vocal ensemble had a gig. After the gig, all my BBs were  heading out to the falls but I let XH talk me into just going back to his cousin’s and doing nothing. We’d go out some time just the two of us, he said. But like so much else, it never happened. 

Anyway, we’ll see how things are five more years down the line, but for now current sweetie is very open to suggestions (also loves vegging out which is good because Netflix) so I finally made it to the falls. It was early so there weren’t many people there, which made an already incredible place that much more delicious. Will definitely head back next time I’m up island, hopefully with a bit more time to explore the trail network!

• Like 3

For a crazy week, you've done well.  Your kitty being happy is important, I am sorry he's not doing well.

5 hours ago, Radost said:

I’ve been eaten by 1. a bathroom reno that seemed small and manageable and in fact is The Worst

Wait, are there ever any renos that don't go this way? :D 

Very pretty . Glad you at least at time for a short visit to the falls.

Sorry about your cat.

What are you doing for bathroom remodeling? I've found that remodeling always take longer than you plan on. Did you like the results?

18 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Wait, are there ever any renos that don't go this way? :D 

I mean, no, but there's "ehh, that was more work than I thought" and there's "whoa I would not have started that if I knew it would take that much time," which is where I am at.  Thankfully I escaped "Oh no I have ruined everything and need to call in a professional," as well as "NO BATHROOM FOR SIX WEEKS" which were also possible stops on the spectrum of renos.  

17 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

What are you doing for bathroom remodeling? I've found that remodeling always take longer than you plan on. Did you like the results?

I got it into my head that I should re-grout the shower.  And I'll tell the whole story under a spoiler because it's a bit tl;dr, but yes, I'm reasonably happy although not completely satisfied.  At least for now - there's a couple little pieces still to do and who knows, maybe I'll still ruin my tub surround.

Spoiler

The grout seemed to be badly degrading when I would clean it with a mild abrasive (such as an old toothbrush or scrubby sponge, nothing extreme) and I could not get the discolouration out of some areas that had gotten mildewey.  I was partly inspired by the time a couple years ago when I had to re-caulk my downstairs shower stall (that was an "ehh, more work than I expected but fine" reno) and a friend mis-heard me and said "oh, re-grouting, I've done that, it's fun!" The internet how-to pages and videos I consulted also seemed to suggest it was a great project for the DIY homeowner, where a little elbow grease could make a room shine again.  I figured based on what I'd read that I could probably get the whole shower done in 12-16 hours, especially considering how crumbly the grout seemed.  Well, my partner and I put in about 12 person-hours the first day and didn't manage to finish the two short walls...!  And we both had massive DOMS in our hands which is not fun. Unfortunately, I worked the next day so I could only put in another 6 hours, which was enough to fully prep the short walls for re-grouting but definitely not enough time to start putting new grout in.  Then I went out of town for three days (it had been my intention to use that time to let the grout set).  The afternoon we got back, I stripped the old caulk and took some of the most damaged grout out of the long wall, deciding that I didn't care if the colour match was terrible - I can spend another vacation doing just that wall, if necessary, but at that time I won't have to go all the way down to the caulk, which makes the job a tiny bit easier.  

The actual grout application was reasonably easy and went pretty smoothly, although it took me an awkward amount of time - long enough that my grout was getting near-set and hard to work with by the end, but by that time I had so little left to do it seemed silly to mix up a fresh batch.  Oh well.  Now I know more about how much to mix for a certain area of wall (at that size tiles). 

Today I caulk.  Tomorrow I seal the grout.  And on Saturday I have my shower back!!!

...all while making time to visit the vet and learn how to do subcutaneous fluids for Mr. I Don't Like Drinking Water, Only Tuna Juice, And Damn My Kidneys.  And starting the slow-but-hopefully-not-glacial process of introducing my sibling's cat to the household, since she'll be staying with us for some 8-12 months while my sibling and their roommates look for a big enough place for three humans and five cats.  LIFE, IT'S A TRIP.

7 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Wow that picture looks gorgeous. 

I think you can scroll through and see all of them...the sandstone pools are incredible!

Interesting on the caulking, grouting. We have pondered whether to do that, or pay someone to do it. So the hardest part was actually removing the old grout?

21 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

Interesting on the caulking, grouting. We have pondered whether to do that, or pay someone to do it. So the hardest part was actually removing the old grout?

Far and away the hardest. I understand there are mechanized tools that make it easier but partly for cost reasons and partly because I understand it’s a lot easier to slip and badly damage a tile, I went with manual removers. But if you have the mental and financial fortitude to consider replacing broken tiles, I think the power tool would make it a much more manageable job.  

By last night, the grout had dried enough to show its true colour and character and if you look you can definitely see that my grouting is not as well-done as that of the pro who initially installed the tiles. But it looks Just Fine and it’s all new and reasonably smooth. And the new caulk (which went on even easier than the last shower I caulked, maybe I learned a skill?) does a lot to make the whole thing look bright and clean and lovely. 

So it’s definitely worth considering a DIY, especially if you’re fit and don’t have major wrist or hand issues.  Also, if you had fewer grout seams it would be a lot easier  - I have subway tile so there are approximately 45 tiles on the short walls and maybe a bit more than double that on the long wall; it would probably have been about 35 person-hours to do the whole thing. But if the tiles were big, like 8 or 12 to a short wall, it would probably have been a one-day job for two people. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Radost said:

Far and away the hardest. I understand there are mechanized tools that make it easier but partly for cost reasons and partly because I understand it’s a lot easier to slip and badly damage a tile, I went with manual removers. But if you have the mental and financial fortitude to consider replacing broken tiles, I think the power tool would make it a much more manageable job.  

By last night, the grout had dried enough to show its true colour and character and if you look you can definitely see that my grouting is not as well-done as that of the pro who initially installed the tiles. But it looks Just Fine and it’s all new and reasonably smooth. And the new caulk (which went on even easier than the last shower I caulked, maybe I learned a skill?) does a lot to make the whole thing look bright and clean and lovely. 

So it’s definitely worth considering a DIY, especially if you’re fit and don’t have major wrist or hand issues.  Also, if you had fewer grout seams it would be a lot easier  - I have subway tile so there are approximately 45 tiles on the short walls and maybe a bit more than double that on the long wall; it would probably have been about 35 person-hours to do the whole thing. But if the tiles were big, like 8 or 12 to a short wall, it would probably have been a one-day job for two people. 

Our tiles are the subway tiles too. glad you like how yours turned out

• Like 1

So I’m fostering my sibling’s cat for the next probably 8-12 months, as they are moving out of town into a small apartment with two friends who already have four cats(!!!) and new!kitty came to stay with us on Wednesday to take advantage of me being home a lot in the last few days of my vacation. Overall, I’d say it’s going well as far as introducing middle-aged cats goes - a fair bit of hissing, a few actual swats, and lots of grumping quietly in different corners of the same room. But my oldest cat, Deuter, who’s 12, has been getting vet treatment for kidney dysfunction and high blood pressure since January. It seemed like treatment was going well, but in the last month he’s turned a corner and not a good one. We thought we had a good idea what to do about it, and he still seemed really bright and energetic. But the last two days he won’t eat anything. He’s chronically skinny and had dropped weight in July but started to gain it back with daily gushyfud the last couple weeks but I can tell he’s back down again. And I just. It’s so much, with trying to stop new!kitty from being a dick and my other cat from eating everything everybody else has left (she’s already a bit of a footstool). Pets, what are they even for?

Oh and here’s my cat tax payment: Deuteronomy helping play D&D, Killira (l), and Ashe (r), who are long-separated sisters. 

FFE404D6-FF26-491E-862A-A47925D1A10B.jpeg.0911e377215d75dc3273f9fa84d28713.jpeg

6140406B-DEB8-49B3-832A-967186FC6114.jpeg.e626209548fecad857d5e59c43a46cb1.jpeg

Edited by Radost
Paying cat tax is important...
  • Like 2