Jump to content

[Sylvaa] I Do What I Want!


Sylvaa

Recommended Posts

On 8/15/2018 at 3:13 PM, Sylvaa said:

 

Oh the questions!

 

I'm not sure - actually, I'm not sure if I'm looking for a pvp or an accountability buddy. . . How many days are you getting to the pool? I'm pretty sure I should look at your challenge, but you can just tell me too. :D Maybe a mix where like, we do the same workouts over the course of a week and keep track of times?

 

I'm getting to the pool about twice a week. One day I work on various strokes for simple practice and then the next time I single out one stroke and work on speed and endurance. I haven't really been timing my stuff except for one of my workouts last week. I timed myself on a 50m sprint using breast stroke. And now I can't remember my time, lol. I think it was like 28...32 seconds? I'll have to retest it.

 

I'd be down for accountability opposed to PvP. I try to have SOME resemblance of a game plan going in, but I've never structured swim workouts before, so, this is new for me. I'm still game for whatever ;) 

 

Wolf

  • Like 1

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

 

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

 

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

 

Link to post

*stumbles in, doubled over and totally out of breath* Am I too late to join?!

  • Like 1

Adventurer, Half-Dwarf Chaotic-Good Paladin

Ne me dites jamais les chances!  ¡Nunca me digas las probabilidades!

Character Sheet Training Logs Challenges Prepping for Adventure PrepAdventure Prep Fall BabyWhen Are We Again, Anyway?WhirlwindThe Leaf's LocusHarnessing Hamingja New Roots More Beginnings, More Roots Cleaning Up Facing The Hailstorm Yo Ho Yo The... Keto Life For Me? Taming the Beast Another Step Towards the Future Baking, Suburban Homesteading, and Health, The Adventurers of the Lucky Vale IIIIIIIVVVI, VII VIIIIX

Spoiler

Perennial goals: Sleep 7+ hours a night, retain (and continue to learn) French and Spanish as a family, increase Spanish Proficiency for work and play,  read like a maniac on my own and with my kids, carry heavy stuff

Long term goals: Cut to 13-15% bodyfat, And now that I'm grown I eat five dozen eggs, so I'm roughly the size of a baaaaarge! -> Someday I'll challenge a Disney world Gaston to a push up contest and win

Link to post
On 8/20/2018 at 10:34 AM, Wolfpool said:

 

I'm getting to the pool about twice a week. One day I work on various strokes for simple practice and then the next time I single out one stroke and work on speed and endurance. I haven't really been timing my stuff except for one of my workouts last week. I timed myself on a 50m sprint using breast stroke. And now I can't remember my time, lol. I think it was like 28...32 seconds? I'll have to retest it.

 

I'd be down for accountability opposed to PvP. I try to have SOME resemblance of a game plan going in, but I've never structured swim workouts before, so, this is new for me. I'm still game for whatever ;) 

 

Wolf

 

I'll be back on my regular schedule next week. I know that I have some swim workouts somewhere I can dig up... let me get you some options!

 

This week was our work conference. It was super busy and crazy. I'll do a more in depth update later. 

  • Like 2
Link to post
9 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

It was super busy and crazy. I'll do a more in depth update later.

 

I'm guessing you're not doing the WV Spartan race this weekend. My buddy is running the Beast. He was going to do the entire Trifecta, but his knee and his IT band have been bothering him. I decided not to go because it's our oldest daughter's first weekend home since starting college.

 

Don't work too hard (or is it too late for that?)

  • Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

 

Link to post
17 hours ago, Wolfen said:

 

I'm guessing you're not doing the WV Spartan race this weekend. My buddy is running the Beast. He was going to do the entire Trifecta, but his knee and his IT band have been bothering him. I decided not to go because it's our oldest daughter's first weekend home since starting college.

 

Don't work too hard (or is it too late for that?)

 

No, I thought about it, but I really wanted to take this year and work on improving my skills for OCR's. I've had limited success, but I wanted to make sure I TRIED before tackling the Trifecta again.

 

This morning, we had to take the puppy to the vet. She's been licking and biting at her paw for a week, so it's all swollen and red. She is currently wearing a sock to keep her away from it and it is the most hilarious thing ever. 

  • Like 10
Link to post

thumb_wakes-up-ah-that-muscle-soreness-i

 

OH THE FEELS! 

 

Update: Work has had me fluctuating from increasingly frustrated to super excited. I'm having Project Manager issues that are just getting worse as time goes on. I love what I do, but my current PM is sucking the life out of me. I'm hoping that she ends up being allocated to other projects more often, so she's not on site or else I will be talking to my manager about potentially switching projects. I didn't get promoted this year :( but I did get a raise. While money isn't everything, it gets harder to leave a job the more you make.

 

I had a meeting for the kids' school Monday night and a team dinner Tuesday, so I wasn't able to make it to the Y until Wednesday. I did get all my workouts in, but can we talk about how sore the Y made me? I needed the extra weight push the Y gave me. Next week, I get to work from home, so figuring out how I'm going to hit the gym will be a bit of a challenge. 

 

This weekend, the husband and I (well, mostly me) will be putting together new desks for our Den. We're almost done with all of our needs to get the room completed. 

  • Like 9
Link to post

So this challenge, like many others I've been completing recently, is kind of a bust. 

 

I mean, it's not. Because I'm pretty sure I accomplished the bare minimum I set out to do (I finished my running app, I put together two desks and a filing cabinet for our den, I've gotten to 170 lbs). But I'm just feeling meh. I'm feeling meh about being a part of the community, about continuing to do things to improve myself, and just life. I struggle to call is depression. It seems to strong of a word. More of an overall feeling of apathy. 

 

I have a very big issue with working out at home. I have plenty of time to actually DO the workout. I just continuously don't. On the road, I can get myself to the gym daily. But like, I don't know - it's not that I'm doing anything that requires my full concentration where I can't do it and it's not that I'm trying to keep that time open for other people in my family. My husband will literally be sitting at his computer playing WoW (which I no longer play), yet I don't leave the room to do anything good for myself.

 

I'm finding myself more cranky and disconnected from the family. The weekend before last (the one before the Labor Day weekend) was awful. I was a bit PMS'y and literally told my husband, "I'm sorry you keep pissing me off" (he laughed). Part of that was PMs, part of that was having put together a rather difficult piece of furniture (the filing cabinet), and partly due to a lack of working out (because I definitely know that I need to do something active to not be cranky). To be fair too, we've now been married for 6 years, so maybe we are out of the honeymoon phase? I also am concerned that I am taking out some of my other frustrations out on him. Either that or he's just pissing me off.

 

I'm still struggling with a tracking mechanism. I need something on paper, but I don't know that my current trackers are working well for me. I almost want like four separate trackers; one for work, one for exercise, one for notes (from meetings), and one for personal tasks. But that seems so crazy. 

 

There is good news. I've started journaling again. I've got to figure out the best way to carry that with me though. I felt more calm after getting some of my frustrations out on paper, but I already carry a planner and a notebook, so this is just another thing to carry along.

  • Like 8
Link to post
On 8/31/2018 at 10:11 AM, Sylvaa said:

While money isn't everything, it gets harder to leave a job the more you make.

This is very true. Whatever you do, just don't make the mistake I did by convincing yourself everything is fine because, ya know, the monies. Taking a pay cut to work a job that allowed me more time for the things in life that mattered to me was an agonizing decision to make. Looking back at it, I wish I made that decision a few years earlier because it was one of the best things I ever did. So, my 2 cents (which I realize you didn't ask for) is to stay if you want to, but just make sure its for the right reasons and the right reasons are your reasons. Not society's or someone else's.

 

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I also am concerned that I am taking out some of my other frustrations out on him. Either that or he's just pissing me off.

Could always be a little from column A and a little from column B. :D 

 

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm still struggling with a tracking mechanism. I need something on paper, but I don't know that my current trackers are working well for me. I almost want like four separate trackers; one for work, one for exercise, one for notes (from meetings), and one for personal tasks. But that seems so crazy. 

 

There is good news. I've started journaling again. I've got to figure out the best way to carry that with me though. I felt more calm after getting some of my frustrations out on paper, but I already carry a planner and a notebook, so this is just another thing to carry along.

I always struggle with paper because its more things to keep track of. However, if writing stuff down helps you feel better and get perspective then we just need to find you some easy way of keeping it nearby. I mean, I'm thinking these are a little too small to fit a journal in, but there's got to be some kind of creative bag to put them in. Or, you could be like the CEO of a company I used to work for that would tuck a legal pad in his pants (in the back so he could sit down) and carry that with him wherever he went so he could right down ideas whenever they came to him. But, he was quite an eccentric dude, so maybe that's a good idea either :P 

  • Like 1

"You can't climb the ladder of success with your hands in your pockets." - Arnold Schwarzenegger

"The important thing is not to think much but to love much; and so do that which best stirs you to love." - St. Teresa of Avila

Current Challenge: Seeks Balance | Battle Log: Ye Olde Battle Logge | NF Character: Public Profile | Strava 

Link to post
3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I'm still struggling with a tracking mechanism. I need something on paper, but I don't know that my current trackers are working well for me. I almost want like four separate trackers; one for work, one for exercise, one for notes (from meetings), and one for personal tasks. But that seems so crazy. 

It's not crazy if it works.    Can you combine any of these and put one at the beginning of a notebook and another tracker starting at the end?  It still gives everything a separate home but maybe less actual stuff to carry around with you.

  • Like 2

Race: Amazonian Ogre Princess | Class: Ranger | Profession: SuperHero

Level: 19 Ranger | STR 36 | DEX 29 | STA  35 | CON  43 | WIS 35 | CHA 23|

 

Spoiler

 

Epic Quest Avatar Lifting profile | D&D Character Sheet

Accountibillibuddies: Doodlies setting the world alight

Roadmaps: 2016 | 2017 | 2018 | 2019 | 2020 | 2021

 

I am not saying I am Wonder Woman. I am just saying no one has ever seen me and Wonder Woman together in the same room.

 

Current Challenge: Shello Finally Fitnesses (sort of) and does some other things

Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 789, 10, 11, 12 , 131415, 1617181920, 21, 2223242526272829303132, 33, 3435, 36??

Starting weight = 290.4; Current weight = 269; Total pounds lost: 21.4

 

Link to post
30 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

So, my 2 cents (which I realize you didn't ask for) is to stay if you want to, but just make sure its for the right reasons and the right reasons are your reasons.

 

I appreciate the insight, whether I asked for it or not. :) I do really enjoy my job overall, so it's not one of those cases where it's detrimental to work. I'm just dealing with a Project Manager who isn't a very good leader. Luckily, for the most part, I can keep my head down and just get my work done. I'm also coming up with a plan with the manager I report to and have already hinted that I might want to change projects in the future. We will see how it goes. For the record though too, I'm not talking a pay cut; I'm talking a PAY CUT. Like over 50%. So I'm not being whiny over, "oh we can't go out to eat this weekend," it's truly a, "we can't pay our bills unless I get two jobs".   

 

32 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

However, if writing stuff down helps you feel better and get perspective then we just need to find you some easy way of keeping it nearby. I mean, I'm thinking these are a little too small to fit a journal in, but there's got to be some kind of creative bag to put them in.

 

Of note, when I clicked on this link, there were at least 3 different ads / articles in regards to thongs. I feel like @Sloth the Enduring or @deftona was involved in website development. 

 

5 minutes ago, Shello said:

It's not crazy if it works.    Can you combine any of these and put one at the beginning of a notebook and another tracker starting at the end?  It still gives everything a separate home but maybe less actual stuff to carry around with you.

 

I haven't found anything I like yet. Right now, I have a daily planner I use for work (like this one), I also have a spiral dot notebook that I use for meeting notes. The planner I have doesn't have a notes section and I go through A LOT of notes sections (I'm already on my second one this year). I used to take notes on the computer, which would have decreased the number of notebooks I needed, but that was, "limiting my client exposure", so I'm back to paper. I also have a workout notebook. Plus, now a journal. 

 

I'm wondering if it would make more sense for me to have one (maybe a travelers journal where I can add pages) with different sections. But then I'd need to find or create the different set ups per section, because I like the way they are each individually set up. My husband just got a new Moleskin which I like too, but it'll keep me with the same issue of multiple notebooks because it's set up to replace the planner, but not the others. 

 

44 minutes ago, jstanlick said:

Could always be a little from column A and a little from column B. :D 

 

You aren't wrong. 

  • Like 3
Link to post
4 hours ago, Sloth the Enduring said:

Hmph. All I got were ads for slides.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

 

That's so weird. There are so many thongs on that page.

 

8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

But I'm just feeling meh. I'm feeling meh about being a part of the community, about continuing to do things to improve myself, and just life. I struggle to call is depression. It seems to strong of a word. More of an overall feeling of apathy. 

 

MAN, this sounds really rough. :( Is there anything you could do for yourself that would be fun? Not for your family, but for you. You work really hard all the time and you spend a ton of time and energy on other people, and sometimes I wonder if you're doing enough to take care of your own happiness. Of course working hard and taking care of your family are both wonderful things, so I'm sorry if that's offensive or anything! And not that that would magically solve all your problems or anything...but maybe it might help a little?

 

Do you think this could be coming from finishing your MBA? You were working so hard on that for so long, maybe it feels like there's a gap in your life that you need to find new ways to fill? Or maybe I'm completely off base. :P

 

 

  • Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post
8 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Of note, when I clicked on this link, there were at least 3 different ads / articles in regards to thongs. I feel like @Sloth the Enduring or @deftona was involved in website development. 

 

The world needs to know the secret to a grade A booty is more brazillian cut knickers than it is anything else and you can trust me on this because I have put in the research. 

 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

I'm more than adequate. Leave Kanye out of this. 

Profile picture credit : NF's resident super artist - NinjaKitten

Link to post
9 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Do you think this could be coming from finishing your MBA? You were working so hard on that for so long, maybe it feels like there's a gap in your life that you need to find new ways to fill? Or maybe I'm completely off base. :P

 

I've totally already thought of this, so it's not completely off base at all. Like, I've had so many single minded purposes for so long, that for having this empty space in my life is new and weird. As I set here and think about it, It might also be some kind of early empty nest thing too for that matter. I mean, I've spent my entire adult life kind of struggling. Like, raising children, going to school, working multiple jobs. Now the kids are primarily self-sufficient, I don't have more school (unless I want to get a PhD?), I don't need to overwork myself. WHAT DO I DO WITH MY LIFE?! 

 

9 hours ago, NeverThatBored said:

Is there anything you could do for yourself that would be fun? Not for your family, but for you. You work really hard all the time and you spend a ton of time and energy on other people, and sometimes I wonder if you're doing enough to take care of your own happiness.

 

Somewhere along the way, I think I lost my identity. Now I don't know what I would do for fun? I mean, not regularly. I don't have any hobbies or interests that lend themselves to an hour or so here of there. I don't even know what I'm interested in. 

 

So actually this has been really helpful. It's more of a, "I need something to keep my mind occupied or my hands busy" more so than anything else. I need to find something I enjoy to use my time in a way that makes me happy. 

 

I did go out for a run last night. It was really nice. Slow and steady, so I felt amazing when it was done. 

  • Like 4
Link to post
2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I did go out for a run last night. It was really nice. Slow and steady, so I felt amazing when it was done. 

 

That sounds really nice! What kind of distance are you doing these days?

 

2 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

Somewhere along the way, I think I lost my identity. Now I don't know what I would do for fun? I mean, not regularly. I don't have any hobbies or interests that lend themselves to an hour or so here of there. I don't even know what I'm interested in. 

 

I'm not very good at hobbies either, TBH. What makes you laugh? Or what was the last thing that you really looked forward to? Maybe that's a good place to start. 

  • Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post
4 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

That sounds really nice! What kind of distance are you doing these days?

 

This was just a timed run - I did a few kms (Nike + does everything in km). It wasn't supposed to be fast or far, just getting used to putting in the minutes. It was actually kind of nice because I was able to finish the time without trouble - I was concerned that I was going to take a big step back. My leisurely pace is about 8:00/km. It's not fast, but I'm confident I can take on a relatively longer distance at that pace.

 

9 minutes ago, NeverThatBored said:

What makes you laugh? Or what was the last thing that you really looked forward to?

 

I make myself laugh all the time! :D I like to research things. I took some time to find pool workouts this morning and that was fun. I spent some time making a list of potential hobbies - some things I could do with my husband and some things that could be singular. It was weird though, because online things like jigsaw and crossword puzzles were on the list and I don't consider those hobbies. Same with reading. So maybe I'm just too picky about what I consider a hobby? 

  • Like 4
Link to post
3 hours ago, Sylvaa said:

I make myself laugh all the time! :D I like to research things. I took some time to find pool workouts this morning and that was fun. I spent some time making a list of potential hobbies - some things I could do with my husband and some things that could be singular. It was weird though, because online things like jigsaw and crossword puzzles were on the list and I don't consider those hobbies. Same with reading. So maybe I'm just too picky about what I consider a hobby? 

 

Those are totally hobbies. I guess the question is less "are these hobbies?" and more whether those are things that you do to pass time or whether those are things that actually bring you happiness/satisfaction? (That's a real question - they very well could be!) 

  • Like 2

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post

First things first: food. I made this for dinner last night.... https://www.budgetbytes.com/thai-coconut-curry-braised-chicken-thighs/ and it was delicious!

 

I did not eat the rice (not because I care about the carbs, but because I don't like rice very much), but ate it over french style green beans. It was super amazing, although not very spicy. Note: it looked spicy, but it wasn't. Also note: there is coconut milk in the recipe. Even if you aren't a fan of coconut, give it a try like this! My husband is always afraid to try things like this because he claims he HATES coconut, but couldn't even tell it was in there.

 

We've also decided that for the rest of the month of September, we are only cooking dinner on the weekends. Through the week, the kids will be on their own. This is partly because my husband has to run kids to practices Tu / Wed / Thur during dinner time and partly because kids have been apathetic about food. Sometimes they won't eat dinner, but will make something else late at night, sometimes they will just not eat, and usually they complain about food. Over the weekends, I will cook, but I'm only planning on cooking as much as needed for the people who say they will eat. We semi tried it out this week while I was home and definitely limited leftovers (which usually become food waste in our family). I'm not a huge fan of this plan, because it gives the kids a lot of leniency to not eat healthy. But it's kind of pointless to try to do anything about it if they just eat what they want anyway.

 

I'm currently binge watching the last season of American Ninja Warrior as I had recorded it, but then forgot about it. My son keeps coming up and watching some of the people attempt the course. He has the mistaken impression I could do it.... I love his faith, but yeah, no.

  • Like 7
Link to post

That's a great plan for the kids. And the chicken looks ver good!

I also thought about competing at Ninja Warrior/Ultimate Beastmaster, I have some friends who did both. But one of them is in very good shape! and failed both times at the very beginning.

I would love to do it but I think I will also fail :D

  • Like 1
Link to post
19 minutes ago, Sylvaa said:

We've also decided that for the rest of the month of September, we are only cooking dinner on the weekends. Through the week, the kids will be on their own. This is partly because my husband has to run kids to practices Tu / Wed / Thur during dinner time and partly because kids have been apathetic about food. Sometimes they won't eat dinner, but will make something else late at night, sometimes they will just not eat, and usually they complain about food. Over the weekends, I will cook, but I'm only planning on cooking as much as needed for the people who say they will eat. We semi tried it out this week while I was home and definitely limited leftovers (which usually become food waste in our family). I'm not a huge fan of this plan, because it gives the kids a lot of leniency to not eat healthy. But it's kind of pointless to try to do anything about it if they just eat what they want anyway.

 

Way to value your own time! This sounds like a really good decision. RE: eating healthy, I guess you can just make sure there are healthy options around for when they do make their own food?

  • Like 1

Gargoyle Ranger | Level 46

2021 challenges:  46 (current)

2015-2020 challenges: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 |15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 || 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 || 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 || 43 | 44 | 45

 

My epic quest | MEATBALL WARS

You don't get better at anything unless you start doing it.

Being alive is heckn swell. 

Link to post

Coconut milk is so good! I love using it in things.

  • Like 3

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

52,53

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Link to post

Sorry, I'm a bit behind on threads.

 

For paper tracking--if you have multiple things to track, there is the much touted Bullet Journal which is good for that, and also I like the Traveler's Notebook System, which amounts basically to "small leather folder that holds a variety of notebooks to which you can assign a specific use for." 

 

Beware that both of those have had people go nuts with them, and they can look way more complicated and elaborate than they really are.

 

Paper always works better for me than digital. Right now I use an A5 spiral notebook for mapping my day/to-do list and scratch thoughts (because it lies flat and I can tear out pages as needed) and a Traveler's Notebook for my semi-daily journaling and meanderings, and topics I want to record more about in detail (like I have a notebook right now dedicated to thoughts about the books I've been reading).

 

I agree with people on the possibility of a post MBA slump.

 

As for hobbies, one of my favorites is knitting. I like it because I can do it socially--with other knitters or while my husband is playing video games or painting Warhammer 40k figures, or I'm just hanging with people. Even the Enting seems to prefer me knitting next to him than zoning out on Instagram or whatever. It can be as easy (garter stitch scarf) or as technically complicated as I need (lace, cables, complex garments, plushies), it can be as cheap (acrylic yarn and Boye needles from the big box craft store) or as expensive as I want (artisan hand-painted silk and Signature stiletto needles). In an endlessly digital world, I like having something physical at the end of it that I can keep or give to someone (and getting a few rows in feels like tangible progress on a rough day). And science says knitting is good for your brain on multiple levels! Both keeping it sharp like brain games, but also it can release happy hormones like an anti-depressant.

 

Now, I'm not saying You Must Knit, exactly, but those are the reasons I like it and it benefits me as a hobby, and the reasons might be worth considering something similar. Adult colouring books are popular for similar reasons, for example.

 

 

  • Like 1

Druid and Adventurer

The Wye/Dean, UK

Current Storyline: Tales of Owlshire | 0 | 1

Previous  Storyline: The Entwife’s Heart | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Link to post
On 9/7/2018 at 12:39 PM, Sylvaa said:

I love his faith, but yeah, no.

 

"No" is a powerful obstacle. :) I'm contemplating a 25k, and so far all I have done is a 5k.

  • Like 1

Who am I? -- My NF Character

Current Challenge: WolfDreamer Reads Harder, Breathes Harder, and Journals More

Past Challenges: 

Spoiler

Winter is ComingWolfen Strengthens His Heart, Body, Mind, and Spirit, Wolfen Becomes One of the PeopleWolfen Strengthens His ChakrasWolfen Welcomes Summer and Gets Primal, Soulcon and Spartan, Wolfen Develops Mental ToughnessWolfen Joins the Wander SocietySoulcon, Spartan, School, and Stranger ThingsWolfen Becomes a Warrior EliteWolfen Goes Here and There and Back AgainWolfen Becomes a Soulcon Warrior EliteWolfen Returns to His RootsWolfen Wanders in Soul, Spirit, and BodyWolfen Owns the DayWolfen Searches for His Wild Heart, Wolfen Runs for His LifeWolfen Hits the TrailsWolfen Becomes an Explorer and Joins the ResistanceWolfen Goes Back to the SourceWolfen Begins the Hero's JourneyWolfDreamer Returns to the People,  WolfDreamer Pushes BackWolfDreamer PrioritizesBurpees, Books, and BrainworkBurpees, Books, Brainwork, and BodyworkWolfDreamer Masters the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Continues to Master the Four ElementsWolfDreamer Returns to SpartaWolfDreamer Returns to Middle EarthWolfDreamer Continues His Middle Earth AdventureWolfDreamer and the FallWolfDreamer Forges His Own PathWolfDreamer Has HopeWolfDreamer Returns to Middle Earth

I'd rather sing one wild song and burst my heart with it, than live a thousand years watching my digestion and being afraid of the wet.” -- Jack London

“I wanted movement and not a calm course of existence. I wanted excitement and danger and the chance to sacrifice myself for my love.” -- Leo Tolstoy

"I feel love rising in my chest again
Rising like a burning sun into the day..." -- Gungor, "Hurricane"

"...wherever the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom." 2 Corinthians 3:17b

 

Link to post
On 9/8/2018 at 12:39 AM, Sylvaa said:

We've also decided that for the rest of the month of September, we are only cooking dinner on the weekends. Through the week, the kids will be on their own. This is partly because my husband has to run kids to practices Tu / Wed / Thur during dinner time and partly because kids have been apathetic about food. Sometimes they won't eat dinner, but will make something else late at night, sometimes they will just not eat, and usually they complain about food. Over the weekends, I will cook, but I'm only planning on cooking as much as needed for the people who say they will eat. We semi tried it out this week while I was home and definitely limited leftovers (which usually become food waste in our family). I'm not a huge fan of this plan, because it gives the kids a lot of leniency to not eat healthy. But it's kind of pointless to try to do anything about it if they just eat what they want anyway.

My mom did this when I was about 10 and it continued through all of the way through high school.  I can imagine it was great relief for my mom, but the result was that I ate pretty much nothing but frozen burritos, hot dogs, frozen pot pies and frozen pizza for a significant portion of my childhood :D 

  • Like 1
HUNTER OF ALL THINGS SHINY

Intro Thread    Bodyweight Exercise Library

The Arruvia Conspiracy Challenges: 1, 2, 3, 4, 567, 89, 10 

Other Challenges: 12345, 6, 7, 89, 10, 11, 1213, 14, 15 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28Mardi Gras [Current]

Level 2 Ninja

Strength: 13 Intelligence: 14 Wisdom: 6 Dexterity:14 Constitution: 12 Charisma: 11

 

Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

New here? Please check out our Privacy Policy and Community Guidelines