Nymeria faces the torture

Nymeria

why-did-deadpool-keep-asking-for-francis

In late March, I failed my mammogram and was diagnosed with breast cancer.  Now, I'm nearing the end of my active treatment.  I've finished 15 of my 25 radiation sessions, and my skin is holding up really well (itchy, though).  That being said, it's not uncommon to have your skin burn, peel, ooze, blister, and otherwise hurt like a bitch from radiation.  It's also not uncommon for the skin to continue reacting for even a few weeks after you've finished.  Joy.  I'm at a point where I'm finished with swimming for the rest of the summer (chlorine + weakened skin = bad idea).  I'm not sure what my parkour and aerial silks status will be.  I'd like to keep doing them, but my skin might not be able to handle wearing a sports bra.   In the worst case, I should still be able to walk, do yoga, and de-load type workouts.  

I'm going to keep this challenge really simple, since I have no idea what condition my skin will be in.  My treatments also largely make me want to:tenor.gif?itemid=4716141

1.  Do something stretchy every day.  I especially need to stretch my left shoulder, pec, and armpit areas, so I don't lose ROM during treatment.

2. Do something strengthy every day.  It doesn't have to be much.  Just something.

3.  Play with my basement silks every day.  Even if it's just for a minute.  I got rosin, so I can finally grip them really well.

4. Do something nerdy every day.  Reading, python coding, working on Linux.  All are fine.

5. Do some cleaning every day.  My house is a disaster, and even if it's just 10 minutes of picking a few things up, I need to do something.

6.  If possible, try to avoid taking a nap.  The fatigue is worse when I give in, and it's more manageable when I stay active.  

That's it.  Most days, my "somethings" will end up being a token effort.  And that's okay.  I can push myself a bit more when I'm finished with all of this cancer bullshit.  

• Like 11

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

ACL rehab thread      2016 parkour

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

24 minutes ago, Nymeria said:

That's it.  Most days, my "somethings" will end up being a token effort.  And that's okay.  I can push myself a bit more when I'm finished with all of this cancer bullshit.

Related image

Related image

You're such a trooper, Nym! I admire the crap out of you. You're determination to not let this get you down is amazing and I'm praying for you, girlie. Following for all the "somethings"! 

Wolf

• Like 3

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

I like somethings. :D 

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

Following along for the somethings that are always better than nothings.

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

5 hours ago, Nymeria said:

Your somethings are epic.

giphy.gif

• Like 1

Rebooting Ranger and Legionary

"Only a Dead Legionary Gives Up" - Day of the Starwind

"It always seems bad at first, but then I find a way" - Samurai Jack

Challenge Day 1: Let the somethings begin!

I did a 2 mile walk, some pull ups and push ups, and I did some tuck negatives on the silks.  After that, I did a 20 minute yoga flexibility program.  I also did a chapter in my Linux+ book

So far, everything is great!  I think my strategy for combatting the fatigue is to break things into small chunks and not set myself up for failure with bigger workouts.  If I just pick a couple strength things to do each day, and then pick a 15-20 minute yoga program, that's enough for now.  

I have 7 more radiation sessions.  Then, I will be DONE!  I'm not sure yet, but it's possible that I will have the entire month of September free from any doctor appointments or procedures.  

• Like 7

Level 30? who the hell knows anymore? Direwolf Assassin/Ranger - current challenge

My tutorials:

handbalancing: crow, flying crow, side crow, crow->headstand->crow  Bo staff: strikes 1 2 3, spins 1 2

Only 6 treatments left!  I'm trying to decide whether I should swim today.  My skin is actually holding up amazingly well, so I could still swim.....   

Today's somethings:

-Took another 2 mile walk

-Practiced hip keys and tying footlocks while in the air on the silks

-Did the first workout in Sean Vigue's 7 day power yoga challenge.  

-More Linux.

Things are moving along nicely.  I'm glad I'm able to squeeze all of this into my mornings, so I can take an afternoon nap with no guilt. ;) 

• Like 5

My tutorials:

I wonder if the fact that you are excericsing helps your skin? Just the circulation  and movement. Or maybe it's just luck of the draw. Either way, glad your skin is holding up

• Like 1

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

3 hours ago, Elastigirl said:

I wonder if the fact that you are excericsing helps your skin? Just the circulation  and movement. Or maybe it's just luck of the draw. Either way, glad your skin is holding up

As much as I'd love to pat myself on the back for doing this right, I honestly think it's mostly luck of the draw. ;)   I've heard so many horror stories about people having large patches of blistered, bleeding skin,  I've now finished 19 sessions, and my skin is just a little pink, irritated, and itchy.  I really assumed that parkour, silks, swimming, and a bunch of other things would be impossible by this point, if for no other reason than not being able to wear a sports bra.  I might get through all of this without having to miss any parkour/silks classes.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

5 radiations left!

Today is more of a token effort day.  I worked on a few footlock moves on my silks, and then did a flexibility yoga session.  I'm cautiously planning to swim this afternoon, but if my skin itches or stings too much from the water, I'll hightail it out of the pool.  There are a few parts of my armpit that are getting pretty itchy and irritated, but none of my skin has broken open.  So, it should be okay.  I hope.  :) 

I'm torn between feeling bummed that I still have one more week that I have to do, and feeling excited that I only have one more week.  

• Like 6

My tutorials:

4 left!  Yesterday, I managed to swim for an hour, and I was at the pool with the kids for 4 hours.  I didn't manage to squeeze in a nap, and man, was I exhausted.

Today, I did my 2 mile walk, did day 2 of the Sean Vigue power yoga challenge, and played around a little on the silks.  But, I'm already beat and want a nap.  :sleeping:

In other news, we started fostering a second cat about 1.5 weeks ago, and we're going to adopt him.  He's really friendly, but also tends to escape from any room and get up in the ceiling.  He's mostly white with a dark gray back.  Any name suggestions?  So far, we're deciding between D'Artagnan, Houdini, and Link, but I'm cool with any other ideas.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

Here's some cat cuteness:  The one I need to come up with a name for is the mostly white one.  The other cat is named Pixel (from Heinlein's The Cat who Walked Through Walls)

• Like 3

My tutorials:

19 hours ago, Nymeria said:

So far, we're deciding between D'Artagnan, Houdini, and Link, but I'm cool with any other ideas.

I like these names. Maybe Blaine (for David Blaine)? 

WOOT WOOT, 4 more sessions!! 

Wolf

Wild Wolf- LEVEL 2 (but probably more like lvl 50 if I didn't respawn so much)

Class: Howler/ Height: 6'2 / Weight: 192#

Stats: MIGHT: 12 / CONSTITUTION: 9 / DEXTERITY: 11 / PERCEPTION: 10 / INTELLECT: 9 / RESOLVE: 13

Instagram: @ryanwolfbell / Facebook: Ryan Wolf Bell / Bible App (YouVersion) Ryan Wolf Bell

Current Challenge: Omnis Vir Lupus

Spoiler

Last Challenge(s): 1/2/3/4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14/15/16

Unchained Predator Saga: 1

Epic Challenges: Welcome to the Fireteam & Wolfpool 

Know, O prince, that once the sun burns out and the earth's core becomes solid and cold, there will come a man to provide the endless energy needed to sustain life and for the planets to keep moving. He is the source of light and the warmth of hope back into the hearts of humanity...." - Dark_Raider

A wolf rises in my heart; against my darkness; against my demons; against my despair. I DECLARE WAR!

Romans 8:28 (CSB) We know that all things work together for the good of those who love God, who are called according to His purpose.

If you wanna stick with the Heinlein theme how about Loony for the white cat?

Current Challenge Original 1,2,3, R 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18,19,20,21,22,23,24,25,26,27,28,29,30,31,32,33,34,35,36,37,38,39,40,41,42,43,44,45,46,47,48,49,50,51

"By the Most-Righteous-and-Blessed Beard of Sir Tanktimus the Encourager!" - Jarl Rurik Harrgath

Saturday: Skipped parkour class, but did silks.  I'm at the point where I just don't have the stamina for 2 classes.

At this point, my efforts will probably be much more "token".  The next 1.5 weeks should be the ones with the worst side effects (yeah.. the side effects are actually the worst the week AFTER you finish..  Since cancer is the gift that keeps on giving).  I also have a patch of skin under my armpit that feels as if it's been scrubbed with sandpaper.  So, I wouldn't at all be surprised to have the skin open up and be oozing soon.  :disillusionment:    Everything in my armpit and along my scar lines feels like a sunburn mated with some poison ivy.  :unsure:

My short term plans are to just do a lot of walking and light yoga.  And that's okay.  

• Like 2

My tutorials:

Glad you are doing a good job of autoregulating with yourself and taking each day as it come

Wisdom 21   Dexterity 11   Charisma 14   Strength 18  Constitution-12

Elastigirl Endeavors, Experiments, , and Explains - Current Challenge: May 9 to June 12 - Nerd Fitness Rebellion

"If more of us valued food and cheer and song, above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world" J.R.R.Tolkien

I met with the radiation oncologist today, and he agreed that my skin under my armpit is about to open up into oozing, painful grossness.  Bleh.  I now have a prescription cream to use, and my "somethings" are definitely becoming more token for the next week.  I might even need to miss a parkour/silks class or two.  :(  Today's physical "somethings" included 20 minutes of flexibility yoga, doing calf raises while cooking, and taking a walk.  

At least today has been super productive already.  In addition to getting zapped and meeting with the doctor, I've started a split pea soup in the crockpot, baked a quiche, and cleaned the kitchen.  

• Like 4

My tutorials:

Dang, productivity abound. Sorry your skin is hitting its limit, but there are plenty of token somethings to something about. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

67666564636261605958 575655545352515049484746454443424140393837363534333231302928272625242322212019181716151413121110987 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1

1 hour ago, raptron said:

Dang, productivity abound. Sorry your skin is hitting its limit, but there are plenty of token somethings to something about. :)

Hey.. How's your cousin doing with her radiation?  I hope she's almost done, since the whole thing is a huge PITA.  

My tutorials:

She wrapped up the radiation 2-3 weeks ago and says that her skin's been doing much better. She's back to doing a lot of her usual activities -- even a big hay baling session this past weekend. Thanks for asking. :)

Raptron, alot assassin

On 8/20/2018 at 10:21 AM, Nymeria said:

I met with the radiation oncologist today, and he agreed that my skin under my armpit is about to open up into oozing, painful grossness. 

Oh, my dear.

Seriously, fuck cancer.

tumblr_n8zwsf0Wgg1tetv2lo1_500.gif

[ Level ?? ] Thunderbro Maximus of the Thunderlords Legion

BRUTALITY 13 | FINESSE 12 | GRIT 13  | INSIGHT 15 | MOXIE 13

Challenges1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36

"Rangers have to at least give up on pants. It's a special rule we enacted after Rurik became a Guild Leader.” – DarK_RaideR.

"Did I just get my ass kicked by a member of Metallica meets History Channel's Vikings?" - Wolfpool.

"By the Well-Oiled-and-Meticulously-Groomed Beard of Rurik!" - Tanktimus the Encourager.

I'll admit it.  My somethings today are playing video games, reading, and resting.  I'm tired, my armpit hurts, it's rainy, and I feel completely unmotivated.  I also definitely can not wear a sports bra, which somewhat limits my ability to move around.  One positive side of all of this bullshit is that I've been reading a ton.  I'm currently halfway through The Fall of Giants (Ken Follett - liking it so far).  I recently read The Fifth Season (loved it), The Name of the Wind (reread - love it), All the Birds in the Sky (started out interesting, but ended pretty meh), The Help (liked it), the Life of Pi (more meh), and The Book Thief (liked it).  As soon as I finish Fall of Giants, I have The Obelisk Gate (sequel to the Fifth Season) lined up.  I'm totally cool with any book suggestions...  I think I got the suggestions for both The Fifth Season and Name of the Wind somewhere on these forums, and those books were amazing!

Whenever I start beating myself up for not exercising enough or for eating/drinking too much, I have to remind myself that I'll be finished with active treatment tomorrow, and I'll be feeling somewhat normal again in a couple weeks.  So, being gentle with myself now, and then kicking my ass into gear later is perfectly fine.

• Like 3

My tutorials: