• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Rations Her Spoons

I wasn't sure I was going to make a challenge this time around since they always seem to peter out with me not sticking to my goals. But I like all you Nerds and not sticking around isn't an option :) 

So. What are we doing? Trying to pull out of this damn stall I've been in for *looks at wrist* almost two years. The good news is that I've basically maintained, so I'm not backsliding. But I'm also not where I want to be. Obvs. Sticking with the basics works, so that's what we're gonna do.

Eat like a reasonable human being

I'm a snacker and a binger and I regularly eat my emotions. I'm going to continue to never-ending quest to save my girlfriend quit eating like an idiot. In general I plan on sticking to my mod-IF (breakfast and dinner, no lunches or snacks) since it seems to be killing the after-work-munchies. Not sticking to it religiously, but in general. Snacking is limited to appropriate times and amounts. A small amount of candy at the movies. A reasonable amount of the snacks people have brought to game night.

Run so you don't die in OCRs

Even though I prefer the idea of being strong to the idea of being a runner, my cardio is holding me back more than anything else in OCRs. I've recently given into the fact that I'm just not gonna run outside when it's....well, not perfect running weather (unless it's at an event). So for now the goal is two dreadmill sessions a week. One "long" run (5k-ish) and one intervals*

That's it. I don't have enough spoons for anything extra. I feel bad leaving out lifting but there's only so much Maigs to go around and I've got other things on my plate**. I'll definitely go back to lifting later but for now I'm going to look like a stereotypical cardio bunny focused on losing weight. Later I'll work on the guns so I can quietly intimidate people :P 

*If anyone has suggestions on an actual plan for intervals I'd be very open to suggestions. Right now I'm just planning on something like 1 minute on, 1 minute off. I should probably work on inclines since two of my upcoming OCRs are on ski hills***

**I got a new freaking job!! I don't start until mid-October but I have a metric crap-ton of work to do to wrap up my stuff at my current job and get the other guys trained. I foresee much frustration and working every weekend to make this as smooth as I can. Unfortunately there's basically zero chance of getting a replacement in before I leave so I have to dump all my stuff on an incompetent Kevin and an already overloaded Trevor.

***Why yes, I did just put a post-note within a post-note. I have THREE OCRs during this challenge, all 5ks. Mudzilla August 25, Rugged Maniac Sept 1, and The Great Inflatable Race Sept 8. I have a group doing Rugged Maniac with me (4 others, including Hubs) and Hubs is doing TGIR too.

• Like 10

3 hours ago, Maigahane said:

*If anyone has suggestions on an actual plan for intervals I'd be very open to suggestions. Right now I'm just planning on something like 1 minute on, 1 minute off. I should probably work on inclines since two of my upcoming OCRs are on ski hills***

Nothing wrong with 1 minute on and one minute off and considering you are using a treadmill take full advantage of it's best feature and do them as inclines. It doesn't have to be super steep even to have a positive effect on climbing really steep hills (I know you'll be walking the hills in the race but it does help to run hills in training all the same). Just add some kind of progression. Like adding an interval each week or every other week so that you are progressively increasing your work load. 

• Like 3

Congratulations on the new job!!! Though I will miss hearing (seeing) you yell 

images.jpeg

1 minute hard, 1 minute recovery sounds like a good solid interval workout especially if you do them on an incline as Jon suggests. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

Nothing wrong with 1 minute on and one minute off and considering you are using a treadmill take full advantage of it's best feature and do them as inclines. It doesn't have to be super steep even to have a positive effect on climbing really steep hills (I know you'll be walking the hills in the race but it does help to run hills in training all the same). Just add some kind of progression. Like adding an interval each week or every other week so that you are progressively increasing your work load.  

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

1 minute hard, 1 minute recovery sounds like a good solid interval workout especially if you do them on an incline as Jon suggests.  

Sounds like it's a good place to start then. One minute intervals with incline it is

7 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

Congratulations on the new job!!! Though I will miss hearing (seeing) you yell 

images.jpeg

Thanks! I haven't had to curse Kevin for a while since we changed some things around a few months ago. But the next two months might involve a lot of it. I'm sticking around long enough to basically get through the audit which is what I flat out told Boss last year that I'm done trying to train him on because he's just not getting it. This time I'm training Trevor too but it's too much to really pick up in one go through.

• Like 2

Wednesday

Ate my normal breakfast and had a huge salad for lunch. I had planned on burritos for dinner but Hubs offered to take me out to celebrate the new job so we went to my favorite burger place (home of the PB&J burger that I've raved about to some people's disgust :P ). We had onion rings and I got:

Full Leaded Jacket ~ fresh baked cinnamon roll, chili, queso awesome, tomato, onion, sour cream, fresh jalapeno, crisp corn tortilla chips

It doesn't say it but there's a burger in there too. It took me a long time to work up the courage to try it and it's surprisingly good. You can sub out fries for the tortilla chips which makes it even better, but I forgot to ask for that last night. Then we went to a local ice cream place and I got a waffle cone with monster cookie ice cream. I was not stuffed silly, though it was definitely more food than I needed. But it was justified so I'm not upset

I had planned on doing intervals after work and even had my gear in the car but I ended up skipping. I figured I'd go today, but wasn't thinking that today is Hub's birthday so I guess it will have to happen tomorrow

And an additional bonus goal:

Quit being over-caffeinated

I've known for a while now that caffeine triggers my anxiety. But the idea giving up caffeine gives me anxiety. In the past I've gone from 4-5 drinks a day (at 240mgs 120mgs each) down to one, but then right back up. I need to bring that back down. But I need to do it slowly. So, for this challenge I'm going from 4/day to 3/day. I've been at 3/day all week, including yesterday.

• Like 5

Following! I like how you're simplifying your goals. Tackling less might make it easier to focus on things and achieve those goals. 

Looking forward to your success!!!! 

giphy.gif

• Like 1

I had a lot of success in lowering my caffeine by subbing in Half-Caf coffee and black teas. Now I only drink regular coffee at home (1 cup before work) and drink decaf / tea for the rest of the work day (99% of the time, obviously - because there will always be days when you need to make an exception to stave off murdering someone).

Maybe something like that would help you too?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Evicious said:

I had a lot of success in lowering my caffeine by subbing in Half-Caf coffee and black teas. Now I only drink regular coffee at home (1 cup before work) and drink decaf / tea for the rest of the work day (99% of the time, obviously - because there will always be days when you need to make an exception to stave off murdering someone).

Maybe something like that would help you too?

My caffeine is in water flavoring mixes that you add to a bottle of water. I already dilute it by half (put it in 32 vs 16 ounces) because full strength is too strong of a taste for me. I want to cut out the flavorings period so I don't want to just replace a caffeinated one with a non-caffeinated one

I did realize I WAY overstated how many mgs I drink. Each packet is 120mgs, not 240mgs. Oops :)

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

My caffeine is in water flavoring mixes that you add to a bottle of water. I already dilute it by half (put it in 32 vs 16 ounces) because full strength is too strong of a taste for me. I want to cut out the flavorings period so I don't want to just replace a caffeinated one with a non-caffeinated one

I used soda water to make that switch. Sometimes with slices of lime for flavour. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Evicious said:

Ah, gotcha. ;) Well then, I guess the only alternative I have to offer is tea.... :P 

28 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I used soda water to make that switch. Sometimes with slices of lime for flavour. 

The goal is to just slowly cut down on the mixes and drink just water. I got hooked on the flavor mixes when I used them to give up Dr. Pepper and don't want to just keep switching out my quote-unquote "vices" when I'd really just rather drink plain water (which I like just fine)

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

The goal is to just slowly cut down on the mixes and drink just water. I got hooked on the flavor mixes when I used them to give up Dr. Pepper and don't want to just keep switching out my quote-unquote "vices" when I'd really just rather drink plain water (which I like just fine)

Soda water is just water, only carbonated. I used it to cut out my diet coke addiction and the fruity mixes at the same time though. I now pretty much only drink coffee and water (too much coffee but plenty of water) so I'm okay with how that went. It was easy to cut the soda water when I got off of the coke because I didn't want to be spending money on water! 

• Like 1

Thursday

Ate my normal breakfast. Planned on fasting through lunch but was getting legitimately hungry when we were told there's leftovers from Panera from a meeting. So I ate a small salad, a cookie, and way too many pieces of baguettes. Then Hubs and I went out for his birthday to his favorite Japanese restaurant. I got a veggie roll and three appetizers (all small, two were split with Hubs). I was an appropriate level of fullness, though none of the appetizers were particularly healthy.

No running. Should be tonight but I forgot to re-pack my gym bag and I might be giving notice to Boss today which might use up my spoons

Quit being over-caffeinated

Appropriate amounts of caffeine were consumed

• Like 3

Drinking tea is what helped me lower my caffeine intake. Now I only drink water and one cup of tea in the morning. I don't have any addiction to caffeine anymore. :)

Good luck on your quest to rid yourself of the caffeine! It's not easy, but you got this! I think the strategy you have is a good one. Slowly lower the intake over time. 

2 hours ago, Maigahane said:

Thursday

Ate my normal breakfast. Planned on fasting through lunch but was getting legitimately hungry when we were told there's leftovers from Panera from a meeting. So I ate a small salad, a cookie, and way too many pieces of baguettes. Then Hubs and I went out for his birthday to his favorite Japanese restaurant. I got a veggie roll and three appetizers (all small, two were split with Hubs). I was an appropriate level of fullness, though none of the appetizers were particularly healthy.

So, according to your standards you've set for your goals... was this goal met or not met? You didn't really state if it was or wasn't. What are your measurements of your success? 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RhiaWolfe said:

So, according to your standards you've set for your goals... was this goal met or not met? You didn't really state if it was or wasn't. What are your measurements of your success?  

Good question! I would say that given the circumstances of it being Hub's b-day I almost met the goal. If it hadn't been for the baguette pieces I would have met the goal. Dinner was a reasonable amount of food and I never felt at all uncomfortably full.

I don't really have good measurements for this goal. Under 2000 calories would be a good measurement if I could track calories.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Good question! I would say that given the circumstances of it being Hub's b-day I almost met the goal. If it hadn't been for the baguette pieces I would have met the goal. Dinner was a reasonable amount of food and I never felt at all uncomfortably full.

I don't really have good measurements for this goal. Under 2000 calories would be a good measurement if I could track calories.

For me, (and this is just for me) I have to have some way to know if I met the goal or did not meet the goal, so I can say to myself "Ok, I didn't meet the goal today. What can I do tomorrow to meet the goal." It's why I always give a number to my goals. Instead of "I will eat more home cooked meals" I get specific and say "I will eat at least 1 home cooked meal a day for 5 days a week." That way I can see if I actually made the goal or not. Also, next challenge I can move it to 2 meals a day for 5 days or 1 meal a day for 6 days to work on improvements. 

I don't know if that might help or not, but just wanted to share! I know that calories are really hard for me to track. It feels like a lot of extra work to me and just stresses me out, so I've been finding other ways to quantify my goals. 

On 8/10/2018 at 9:31 PM, Maigahane said:

Today's lunch because it was delicious

It does look delicious but not very filling. How did it hold you? 

2 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

It does look delicious but not very filling. How did it hold you? 

That picture didn't really do it justice. It was huge and full of quinoa, almonds, and avocado. It was quite filling. At one point in the afternoon I was craving something, but I think it was more from feelings than hunger since I was trying all afternoon to pin my boss down so I could give notice (never happened....). I threw myself into work and forgot about the craving so win there

• Like 1