• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Rations Her Spoons

16 hours ago, RhiaWolfe said:

What about joining a fun run group of some kind? Maybe do some virtual 5ks? Do X amount of virtual 5ks in a year? I'm not sure about the getting stronger part. Maybe find a project you can work on that involves some lifting? Volunteer for habitat for humanity or something along those lines? 

I've looked around for local running groups before and the only thing I found that I was interested in was a running group that meets on the complete other side of town as me. I actually did Habitat for Humanity once and it was so disorganized (and cold!) it kinda turned me off. Maybe it was this particular build and others are better, or maybe it's the local chapter just isn't very organized, I don't know.

The other complication right now is I have no idea what my free time is going to look like with the new job. I'll definitely be working longer hours than I am now.

16 hours ago, Cheetah said:

Goals can be tricky.  I think sometimes, just doing the things can be a good goal.  You could set a target of running and stretching so many times a week, and let the results be whatever they will be while you think about the next big target. 

This is pretty much what I'm thinking as I figure out what I want while transitioning to the new job.

4 hours ago, jonfirestar said:

I really struggle to get the work in when I don't have a big specific goal in place and  away to measure progress and it's very hard to shoehorn something in there when what you need is something to build motivation around. 

Even when I have a big goal I was never really good at working towards it. I think I'm not competitive enough :) My goals for OCRs have always just been to complete them, not to do it in a particular time or beat all the obstacles (which with most of the local ones I can do anyway)

13 hours ago, Xena said:

Amazing how small things can make such a big difference.

Such a big difference! I'm getting really excited about how the house is coming together. Hubs and I have no sense of style but we manage to accidentally pick things that work really well together :)

• Like 1

Monday

Eat like a reasonable human being

Ate my normal breakfast then fasted through lunch. Ate some peanut butter before dinner (to clean out the jar before the trip....yeah....that's why). Made curry for dinner, only had one serving even though I had plenty of room for another but was pretty full so I stopped. 1300cals

Run so you don't die in OCRs Stretch Daily

Ack, I completely forgot. After dinner I ran some errands and even thought while I was gone that I needed to stretch when I got home, but still forgot

Quit being over-caffeinated

Appropriate amounts of caffeine were consumed.

Sushi List Items

I bought some clothing items I'd been meaning to get. I failed on getting a bright tank top (on orders of my in-laws who can't find a blonde woman in a black tank at races) but the athletic store is in the process of moving and their store is looking pretty empty. I'll be near a running store tonight, I can try and stop there before the (probably very stupid) movie.
I finally figured out how to order the intro package to the sensory deprivation float place, but it's good for 60 days and I figured I might as well wait until we're back next week

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

The other complication right now is I have no idea what my free time is going to look like with the new job. I'll definitely be working longer hours than I am now.

That's true... Transitioning to a new job makes everything a little more difficult in the interim. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Even when I have a big goal I was never really good at working towards it. I think I'm not competitive enough :) My goals for OCRs have always just been to complete them, not to do it in a particular time or beat all the obstacles (which with most of the local ones I can do anyway)

That's really the answer to why I keep doing bigger and sillier things rather than just the same few OCRs over and over. My race goals are rarely more than 'get to the end' especially with OCR where I don't really care about how long it takes or whether or not I fall off all the obstacles. I only ever really compete against myself so I don't even think it's competitiveness. I'm much more excited about doing a new bigger and more adventurous thing than the same race I ran last year slightly faster or more efficiently. Maybe you just need to expand your horizon? 

46 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I bought some clothing items I'd been meaning to get. I failed on getting a bright tank top (on orders of my in-laws who can't find a blonde woman in a black tank at races) but the athletic store is in the process of moving and their store is looking pretty empty. I'll be near a running store tonight, I can try and stop there before the (probably very stupid) movie.

One thing about wearing a bright yellow top to races is that it makes it very easy to pick yourself out in photos :) 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

That's really the answer to why I keep doing bigger and sillier things rather than just the same few OCRs over and over. My race goals are rarely more than 'get to the end' especially with OCR where I don't really care about how long it takes or whether or not I fall off all the obstacles. I only ever really compete against myself so I don't even think it's competitiveness. I'm much more excited about doing a new bigger and more adventurous thing than the same race I ran last year slightly faster or more efficiently. Maybe you just need to expand your horizon? 

I've been thinking the same thing. I really enjoyed one race this year and will keep doing it. But the others I might give up and expand to other races and other types of events. I have a thought of a goal for next year, two actually. I'll have to ponder on them some more to see if they're something I actually want to do or a passing fancy. They've both been on the list of "sometime" ideas for a while

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I've been thinking the same thing. I really enjoyed one race this year and will keep doing it. But the others I might give up and expand to other races and other types of events. I have a thought of a goal for next year, two actually. I'll have to ponder on them some more to see if they're something I actually want to do or a passing fancy. They've both been on the list of "sometime" ideas for a while

That's pretty much it. I've no intention of giving up OCR and will continue to do the races that I think are fun but I am going to cut down on the number of little races in favour of something bigger. I like taking things on my 'sometime' list and knocking them off you don't really know if you can do something until you try. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

46 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

That's pretty much it. I've no intention of giving up OCR and will continue to do the races that I think are fun but I am going to cut down on the number of little races in favour of something bigger. I like taking things on my 'sometime' list and knocking them off you don't really know if you can do something until you try. 

I've started to notice a shift in my mindset from 'Do all the things!' to 'Do less things but do them well'. 

Can I ask what your goals are for next year, or are they top secret?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Charlie_Quinn said:

I've started to notice a shift in my mindset from 'Do all the things!' to 'Do less things but do them well'.  

Can I ask what your goals are for next year, or are they top secret?

I think I'm getting frustrated that "Do all the things!" in reality becomes "Burn out and do none of the things" so I'm going to focus on one thing at a time and learn to do it well

My first thought was something called the Squatchy Challenge, which is a half(ish) marathon trail run followed the next day by a 4(ish) mile trail run. I've done the 4 miler before and it's very hilly, but in November so nice and cool but (probably) not cold and snowy. It's pretty close, about 30-45 minutes away. I'd probably make set goals in during the year before like running a 5k in a certain amount of time, running a full 10k, etc

My second though was a Spartan Trifecta. This is obviously more expensive and for me will require a lot of travel since there are no races near me. I think the closest is a 6 hour drive. Since it's also more difficult that the Squatchy I might plan to do it the following year and just build up on the training already done for the Squatchy

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

I think I'm getting frustrated that "Do all the things!" in reality becomes "Burn out and do none of the things" so I'm going to focus on one thing at a time and learn to do it well

I can relate! This is what I'm doing right now. I'm focusing on getting back to running 5km with the aim of getting a PB. Then I'll move onto the 10k and build back up to longer distances from there. 

7 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

My first thought was something called the Squatchy Challenge, which is a half(ish) marathon trail run followed the next day by a 4(ish) mile trail run. I've done the 4 miler before and it's very hilly, but in November so nice and cool but (probably) not cold and snowy. It's pretty close, about 30-45 minutes away. I'd probably make set goals in during the year before like running a 5k in a certain amount of time, running a full 10k, etc

I think I remember you mentioning this one before. It sounds tough! Getting a good aerobic base in place now will really help you if you decide to do this. 

9 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

My second though was a Spartan Trifecta. This is obviously more expensive and for me will require a lot of travel since there are no races near me. I think the closest is a 6 hour drive.

Well, you could always look to do the Trifecta in one weekend! That would definitely save on travel costs! :D

• Like 1

Tuesday

Ate leftovers for breakfast to use them up before the trip. Let me tell you, curry at 7am is NOT appetizing :P Fasted through lunch then we got Chipotle for dinner before the movie*. I got a bowl and we shared a bag of chips. Would have been great if I'd stopped there but at the movie Hubs got me a (free, small) thing of buttered popcorn and a we split a large Dr. Pepper. Best guess at calories put me around 2k, not horrible but I certainly didn't need the popcorn or the soda.

I almost forgot again but I snuck in some quick stretches before bed

The Dr. Pepper put me over my goal, first time I've missed it all month :( 

Sushi List Items

Nada. I did pack for the trip though

We're leaving in a few hours to drive back to homestate. 10 hours in the car....yay. I'll finish off the curry for lunch before we head out so I shouldn't want or need any junk on the drive. I'll probably be pretty quiet for the next week

*We watched Happytime Murders which I was expecting to regret wasting any time or money on but it was actually....not horrible. I wouldn't call it good, but it was a lot better than I expected so I was pleasantly surprised. Not worth paying full price on but our local theaters have $5 Tuesdays and we had a $6 promo code so we only paid $2 each. It was worth $2 :D 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Let me tell you, curry at 7am is NOT appetizing :P 

I'm going to have to disagree. Curry is better for breakfast the next morning ;) 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I'm going to have to disagree. Curry is better for breakfast the next morning ;) 

Maybe some curries are. Mine is nothing like what I get at restaurants and it is not breakfast food. Of course, I'm not a big breakfast person anyway and had to train myself to be able to eat anything for breakfast a few years ago. I still have to stick with fairly bland stuff, donuts aren't even appetizing until I've been awake a few hours

1 minute ago, Maigahane said:

Maybe some curries are. Mine is nothing like what I get at restaurants and it is not breakfast food

Mine don't taste much like you get a restaurant either. My brain doesn't really differentiate what is or is not breakfast food, or any other kind of food for that matter. If something is tasty it's good for breakfast. I am a huge fan of spicy food so that helps. Curry usually tastes better as leftovers though (because the flavour matures somewhat) so it's better for breakfast ;) 

• Like 1

Have a great time!
Thanks! Drive was uneventful (which is good) and today I got a solid 5 hours of hiking in. 20k steps, over 9 miles in a beautiful state park that I haven't been to in 15 years. I'll have to see if Hubs got decent pictures with his phone since I left mine in the car. My foot seems to have held up just fine despite the rugged terrain
  • Like 4

We made it back home last night (yay!) and I'm back at work this morning (boo!). Quick recap:

Wednesday

I worked a half day then we drove to homestate. Food wasn't bad except for the cookie dough milkshake I got at Steak and Shake. I had my normal breakfast, leftover curry for lunch, then shared two separate orders of fries with Hubs (mostly me while he ate the burgers). No road trip snacks. Very little movement happened and I did not stretch

Thursday

We went to a beautiful state park and did about 9 miles of rugged hiking. We've been talking about going back to this park for years but hadn't made it until this trip. I don't remember how food was but I did stretch out in the afternoon.

Friday

Lazy day. Just hanging around visiting with family

Saturday

Rugged Maniac! I convinced three friends to run it with me plus Hubs. Unfortunately I think this one was a bit too rough for a first event for two of them. It was at a ski resort and they made good (errr....horrible, evil) use out of the hills. It was constant up and down very steep hills that were slippery from rain the night before. Hubs and I were feeling good thanks to the hiking we've done recently and the one friend was a cross country runner in high school and has recently gotten back into working out. But the other couple were really struggling with the hills. We took over 2 hours to complete the course and got lapped by at least one person doing the Rugged X (as many laps as you can/want). I managed to get a gnarly bruise that wraps around my right arm, but I have no idea how. It finally doesn't hurt but it's a gross green color today (which of course I'm showing off :P ). I failed the rings and the monkey bars were too low to the ground to even try. I made it up the warped wall but only because there were burly men at the top to drag me over (last year it was puny kids so I had to take the ladder). We stopped at Arby's after, then headed back to my Mom's house to play board games

Sunday

Lots of hanging out and playing board games. Hubs bought Beat Saber for the VR which everyone got a kick out of. I did some stretching but not as much as I probably should have and I grazed at the food most of the day

Monday

More hanging out and playing board games, just with a few less people. I probably forgot to stretch and continued to graze

Tuesday

Bleh, the drive home. I didn't stretch or get really any movement in for the day. Food was decent until we got home and ordered Chinese and I just ate my entire meal when I should have just eaten half of it. We came home to a new pet, there is a HUGE spider hanging off my garage. He may need to die, but he's big enough I'm not sure which of us would win in a fight.

Overall

I wasn't horrible with the food, but not great. My weight is definitely up this morning, but some of that is probably water weight. My body is definitely starting to reject dairy, Mom uses cheese a lot more than I do and it was causing some minor stomach issues. Caffeine was lower than it had been but not quite down to two drinks a day (I had some Dr. Pepper that threw off my count). Stretching didn't happen as often as it should have, but I amazingly didn't get horribly sore between hiking and the OCR. I did not die at the OCR but partially because we slowed down a lot for our friends. My foot is holding out really well so I might try to start running again next week

• Like 4

Running

Even trying to scale back on doing all the things and just focusing on running is not keeping Rangerbrain at bay. I'm trying to make a plan and I can't figure out how to work in all the pieces I think I should be working on without running too often. I want to go faster, longer, and up hills.

My initial thought was to basically to a C25k type program, except repeating each week at a slightly faster pace until I get to something like 6.5 or 7mph, then starting the next "week" at my original slow ass pace and repeat. Then I thought I should add one long, slow run in (aka, my 40+ minute 5k) each week and ever so slowly increase the speed as I get more comfortable. Then I remembered how much hills murder me and thought I should add in a hill session every week. Which puts me at 5 runs a week which is way too ambitious at this point.

Should I just start with the first part for now? Maybe do that twice a week instead of three times and have the third run be LSD? Either way leaving hills until later? I tried researching running programs online but I feel I'm in this weird stage where I'm not a beginner but I'm not not a beginner either

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Maigahane said:

We came home to a new pet, there is a HUGE spider hanging off my garage. He may need to die, but he's big enough I'm not sure which of us would win in a fight.

Consider him a Halloween decoration?

7 hours ago, Maigahane said:

My initial thought was to basically to a C25k type program, except repeating each week at a slightly faster pace until I get to something like 6.5 or 7mph, then starting the next "week" at my original slow ass pace and repeat. Then I thought I should add one long, slow run in (aka, my 40+ minute 5k) each week and ever so slowly increase the speed as I get more comfortable. Then I remembered how much hills murder me and thought I should add in a hill session every week. Which puts me at 5 runs a week which is way too ambitious at this point.

Should I just start with the first part for now? Maybe do that twice a week instead of three times and have the third run be LSD? Either way leaving hills until later? I tried researching running programs online but I feel I'm in this weird stage where I'm not a beginner but I'm not not a beginner either

(1) you should of course do what you think will help you most and be sustainable. (2) I think 5 days a week for you is too much right now. not because you couldn't do it, but because you don't love it. 3 days sounds about right. (3) I agree with what you said...two days of some kind of program and one longer slower run.

Two other ideas...

One thing I like to do is add one very short very easy running day.  For me that's Monday because Monday is supposed to be a rest day, but my schedule/motivation gets messed up if I skip Monday. If you eventually want to increase from 3 to 4 days, you might try adding in a really easy day like this.

Hill repeats...it doesn't have to take very long. If you have a hill by your house, you could just tack on a couple repeats at the end of a workout. A hill that takes you 30-60 seconds to climb is enough to start with. And it doesn't even have to be very steep, especially if you do it toward the end of a run. But honestly I wouldn't worry about these too much right now, unless you find them kind of a fun challenge.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Xena said:
Consider him a Halloween decoration?

If only I didn't have to walk near him to get to the trash bin and usually walk through his area to get to the mail. This picture doesn't quite do him justice and it's still terrifying

27fa3a0819c788fbb484231b020abf9b.jpg

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Xena said:

(1) you should of course do what you think will help you most and be sustainable. (2) I think 5 days a week for you is too much right now. not because you couldn't do it, but because you don't love it. 3 days sounds about right. (3) I agree with what you said...two days of some kind of program and one longer slower run.

That's the way I'm leaning

27 minutes ago, Xena said:

Hill repeats...it doesn't have to take very long. If you have a hill by your house.....

Bwahahahaha. My city is insanely flat

28 minutes ago, Xena said:

A hill that takes you 30-60 seconds to climb is enough to start with. And it doesn't even have to be very steep, especially if you do it toward the end of a run. But honestly I wouldn't worry about these too much right now, unless you find them kind of a fun challenge.

Okay, I guess I do have one hill that would maybe take 30 seconds to get up. I think the elevation gain is like 20 feet though. I may try to work them in later, but it might involves traveling or dreadmills on incline

• Like 3

Wednesday

Ate my normal breakfast then fasted through lunch. We didn't have much food at home so we had burgers with no buns for dinner. Then we hosted game night and I didn't do as well as I would have liked with resisting candy. I ate lots of almond pocky sticks and most of a box of Crunch ball things. 1700cals I think. Luckily this morning's weight in showed that 2-3lbs of water weight came off

I didn't run or stretch yesterday. I meant to stretch before people showed up but got distracted by Rugged Maniac pictures being posted

Ugh. My last few weeks at work is not a fun time to cut down on caffeine, but I successfully made the next cut and stuck with 2 caffeines for the day

• Like 1

Rugged Maniac

Commando Crawl

352047d3d81ab44a9d6428a97fcb4f7e.jpg

Off the Rails: Arg, gonna have to see if I can rotate this one....

b672f51a0737a161bd7443470bd66299.jpg

Rings: I just about died laughing when I saw this one

304ced89b97db84caa2eb7038fcf2e15.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Maigahane said:

Ate my normal breakfast then fasted through lunch. We didn't have much food at home so we had burgers with no buns for dinner. Then we hosted game night and I didn't do as well as I would have liked with resisting candy. I ate lots of almond pocky sticks and most of a box of Crunch ball things.

Those almond pocky sticks are IRRESISTABLE. 

28 minutes ago, Maigahane said:

Well, I seemed to have made one convert

#sharethegospel :D 

• Like 1