• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Maigs

Maigs Rations Her Spoons

23 hours ago, Maigahane said:

My initial thought was to basically to a C25k type program, except repeating each week at a slightly faster pace until I get to something like 6.5 or 7mph, then starting the next "week" at my original slow ass pace and repeat. Then I thought I should add one long, slow run in (aka, my 40+ minute 5k) each week and ever so slowly increase the speed as I get more comfortable. Then I remembered how much hills murder me and thought I should add in a hill session every week. Which puts me at 5 runs a week which is way too ambitious at this point.

I agree with everything that @Xena said but I don't know that endlessly repeating C25k in the hopes of getting faster is the best way of going about it. C25k is designed to increase your milage rather than increasing your speed. You'd probably get better results following a plan geared towards getting a PB rather than one geared towards getting you off the couch. Thing is if you want to be able to run faster then you've got to run faster. You improve by placing stress on your body's systems and then letting it recover. 

You also might actually be shooting a little high with 6.5-7mph. 7mph is actually really quite fast (26ish minute 5k time). If you are going to aim for something aim for 6mph right now (which is about 30 minutes for a 5k). 

Although, do what will keep you consistent :) that's really the most important thing. 

I love the photo of you crawling through the mud! :

Edited by jonfirestar
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I agree with everything that @Xena said but I don't know that endlessly repeating C25k in the hopes of getting faster is the best way of going about it. C25k is designed to increase your milage rather than increasing your speed. You'd probably get better results following a plan geared towards getting a PB rather than one geared towards getting you off the couch. Thing is if you want to be able to run faster then you've got to run faster. You improve by placing stress on your body's systems and then letting it recover. 

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places but all the running plans I can find are either C25k like ones or "run 5 days a week, most runs from 3-7 miles". I'm definitely not ready for the second type so I figured I'd try the first type but focus on running faster, not just making it through each run.

13 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

You also might actually be shooting a little high with 6.5-7mph. 7mph is actually really quite fast (26ish minute 5k time). If you are going to aim for something aim for 6mph right now (which is about 30 minutes for a 5k). 

Yeah, I'd probably actually cap it out at a 30 minute 5k pace because that's all I care to accomplish (at this point at least)

14 minutes ago, jonfirestar said:

I love the photo of you crawling through the mud! :

It's definitely my favorite of the pictures, though I'm still cracking up at the one where I'm falling at the rings

So a classic "plan" would be to do (1) medium length run at a hard but sustainable pace...for you this could be running 5k continuously or as continuously as you can. Not at your race speed but not at a comfortable "chat and look at the daisies" pace, (2) a run that includes some faster intervals or hills. Something like: jog for 5-10 min. Run 4 or 5 minutes at your 5K race pace or maybe just a bit faster. Rest (walk) for ~2 min. Do a total of 3-6 of these intervals. Maybe start with 3 the first week and add another one each week. After all the intervals, jog or walk 5 minutes to cool down. If you aren't using a treadmill or track or GPS watch, you won't really know your pace. You need to feel it out. If you crash out and can't finish all the intervals, you'll know you've gone too hard (happens to the best of us) (3) A "long run" which you suggested might be 45 minutes. For that one, I would suggest just trying to find a comfortable pace, and that can include walking.

How you build/progress the plan depends on your goals and your personality. I like numbers and don't mind doing the same workout over and over. So I would tend to run the same course each week for #1 and look at how my times change. For #2, you could do it on a treadmill or track and have a measure of distance (so do 600 m or half mile repeats and track your time). For #3, I would try just to enjoy it for now.

To build on, I would do two things...One is to gradually increase the number of intervals, building up to about six. The other is to add a few "strides" to the end of your workout. Run relatively fast for 30-60 seconds and then walk for 30-60 seconds. Do that 4 times. It helps open up your stride and get your body used to running a bit faster. And it feels good. You aren't sprinting, you should just feel really free and fast.

• Like 2

Thursday

Eat like a reasonable human being

Ate my normal breakfast then fasted through lunch. Haven't gone grocery shopping yet so I made a frozen lasagna and ate a reasonable amount with a breadstick. 1400cals

Run so you don't die in OCRs Stretch Daily

I got in some pretty good stretching while watching the new season of Ultimate Beastmaster

Quit being over-caffeinated

I stuck to my two caffeines again. I really wanted my second morning drink (I have one in the morning and one after lunch) but resisted. Hopefully it won't feel like such a struggle soon

Last night I was grouchy and frustrated for no real reason. My first reaction to @Xena's suggestion was pretty whiny (absolutely nothing against Xena, this was more about my mindset). Mainly that I don't have different paces, I have walking, my slow ass 5k pace that when I get into it correctly I feel I can keep up indefinitely but is barely faster that walking (as in if I slow down at all I'm doing that weird half-skip thing where you're not quite walking and not quite jogging), and anything above that leaves me out of breathe pretty quickly

I knew that Xena knows what she's talking about and that I was just being whiny so I shoved down my complaints and mulled it over. This morning I found this running plan which is basically the exact same thing Xena said but for some reason didn't set off the whininess (maybe because I got some sleep and was recently caffeinated....). I'll probably take this basic plan and start on it Monday (I'm not just putting it off, I have a 5k tomorrow)

• Like 3

On 9/7/2018 at 8:44 AM, Maigahane said:

Last night I was grouchy and frustrated for no real reason. My first reaction to @Xena's suggestion was pretty whiny (absolutely nothing against Xena, this was more about my mindset). Mainly that I don't have different paces, I have walking, my slow ass 5k pace that when I get into it correctly I feel I can keep up indefinitely but is barely faster that walking (as in if I slow down at all I'm doing that weird half-skip thing where you're not quite walking and not quite jogging), and anything above that leaves me out of breathe pretty quickly

I feel your pain.  My running plan this summer was HR based.  For all my "easy runs" I was supposed to keep my HR below 140 and my foot turnover at 180/minute... which literally was only possible if I did a ridiculous-looking slow shuffle.  Old men in walkers were passing me.  It was really, really frustrating!

• Like 1

Friday

Ate my normal breakfast then fasted through lunch. Made generic pasta with garlic marinara sauce and tried out a new veggie ground beef (not a fan) plus a breadstick. Had a spoonful of peanut butter at some point. 1500 cals

Did not run or stretch

Drank an appropriate amount of caffeine again. I crashed hard around lunch. Not sure if it was lack of caffeine, anxiety, or just tired but I came home and took 1/2 hour nap at lunch.

Speaking of anxiety, it definitely seems to be trying to creep back in lately. No bueno. I'm trying to find the balance of getting shit done (which makes me feel calmer) without obsessing over everything I "need" to do.

• Like 1

Saturday

Ate my normal breakfast then fasted through lunch. Ate leftover pasta for dinner and a small handfull of chocolate chips. 1300cals. Pretty low but I'm not particularly hungry

I ran a teeny tiny amount and I got in some more pretty good stretching while watching more Beastmaster

Appropriate amounts of caffeine were consumed

We did The Great Inflatable Race today. It doesn't pretend to be a full 5k, saying it runs between 2.5-3 miles depending on what they have to work with, but today was only 1.5 miles and Hubs and I finished in 35 minutes with mostly walking. It was a lot of fun but felt like a waste of gas to drive an hour there for such a short event.

I think I did a decent job of balancing productivity today. My house is reasonably clean, laundry is done, and I did a bit of weeding. I really need to make a shopping list and buy food and I desperately need to vacuum, but there's always tomorrow for all that. I found two more HUGE pet spiders while weeding that freaked me the fuck out. I'm ready for a good freeze so these suckers can die. So far they're all staying outside, but the moment I find one bigger than a nickel inside I'm restarting regular pest control visits

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Kestrel Grey said:

I feel your pain.  My running plan this summer was HR based.  For all my "easy runs" I was supposed to keep my HR below 140 and my foot turnover at 180/minute... which literally was only possible if I did a ridiculous-looking slow shuffle.  Old men in walkers were passing me.  It was really, really frustrating!

I haven't even tried measuring my HR or cadence yet. Probably something I should look at but I need different equipment to do that and I just need to get consistently running first.

• Like 1

Sunday

Ate my normal breakfast then had an apple around lunch and African Peanut Stew for dinner. I had plenty of calories left so I started to eat one of Hub's Little Debbie snacks but was not enjoying it so I gave him half. 1400cals

Did some stretching. My hips are starting to loosen up but it's only showing even more how tight everything is. I will definitely be keep up this goal

Appropriate amounts of caffeine were consumed

Challenge Wrap up

Overall I think this went pretty well. Mod-IF seems to be really working to curb my munchies which was my biggest downfall. What I struggle most with now is in social situations like hosting game nights or being back in Homestate around lots of friends and family. This will probably be the focus of some future challenge but for the next one I'll probably continue to focus on eating reasonably in my normal day-to-day routine to make sure this sticks. Arbitrary Grade: B

During this challenge I finally had my foot checked out after turning my ankle (in June.....) and while it was a fairly minor stressed tendon I was told to stay off the foot as much as possible to let it heal. I was given the okay to run my OCRs though so I had three of them this challenge. The first one was brutal with extreme hills in full sun while 90F. The second one was good, but very slow because of some friends. The third one was good but with little running (partially because of Hubs but also because I haven't been running) and much shorter than expected.

My foot is mostly better so I may tentatively try to start running again next challenge and monitor how it feels

In place of running I decided that I need to get in the habit of stretching. I'm not even close to this being a habit yet, but I am starting to feel my hips and hamstrings loosen up. This will stay as a goal in my next challenge

Arbitrary Grade: B-

Up until the last week this one was very easy. I cut back from 4 to 3 caffeinated drinks a day and was staying within that very well. I think I even succeeded while on vacation, though I didn't track and different size drinks with different caffeine levels made it so I'm not positive. After the trip I cut back again to 2 caffeinated drinks a day. This one has been much harder, but I'm sticking with it.

Arbitrary Grade: A

• Like 1

On 9/7/2018 at 10:44 AM, Maigahane said:

My first reaction to @Xena's suggestion was pretty whiny

Oh, no worries, complaining is fully allowed! Pace is all relative. That's actually what's nice about the strides. They are short enough that you actually can run a little faster. When the intervals get longer, sometimes it's hard enough just to keep going.

• Like 1